• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're eventually going to dig up this thread from the graveyard and find out who has to eat crow again.

Mind you, I'm not overly impressed with the trailer, but I feel pretty confident Marvel will deliver the goods again.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

It doesn't look bad at all, there just wasn't anything in there that made me go "wow!"

TDLink

I love the Marvel movies/MCU. And I still think this movie is going to end up fine because of that. But it's okay to admit that this trailer is shit. Because it is.

Slayven

I find the whole family thing perspective interesting. Him having a daughter. None of the current superheroes have a child, so that could be something new. This is not about saving the world, this is about his family and him getting a second chance after being a criminal.

I'm very hopeful for Ant-Man.

It really does give him stature

That trailer was not good. Generic set-up and editing, overly-serious tone even with goofy scenes like the bug, and had one of those trendy "Lol, comic book names are dumb" gags.

And aesthetically something's off. It reminds me of Green Lantern and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I can't put my finger on what it is. Just something doesn't gel. It looks almost washed-out even though it's colorful, and the CG and live action aren't gelling (Though it's early).

Agent Carter was awesome. The Ant-Man trailer was fine, but I don't think it showed off Paul Rudd enough. (Though the shirtless shot was nice~)

CLEEK

Weak trailer. Especially seeing how stellar both the first teasers GotG and Age of Ultron were. Even the music was lame and forgettable.

Michael Douglas sounds really old. His monologue throughout lacked any gravitas. The first VFX shot of Ant-Man crouching down in shrunken form looked naff. I guess they're still working on all the VFX shots, which is why there were so many dull cuts to people milling about and his kid etc. The only strong point were Paul Rudd's two lines.

I've always been in two minds about Wright's departure. I'm a huge fan of his directorial style and was excited to see what he produced here. But it would have been disappointed to have a stand-alone MCU film that didn't hook in directly to the rest of the films and characters.

duckroll

I find the whole family thing perspective interesting. Him having a daughter. None of the current superheroes have a child, so that could be something new. This is not about saving the world, this is about his family and him getting a second chance after being a criminal.

I'm very hopeful for Ant-Man.

Unfortunately the movie will be about saving the world. :(

Silkworm

Was Hank Prym as old as Michael Douglas is now (70) when he gave Scott Lang the Ant-Man suit? I figured Prym was younger (30s-40s) when this happened but I'm no expert.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
What's wrong with Thor 2? I enjoyed it,
and Elektra as well :p

On a side note, I do wonder, since Marvel is under the Disney banner now, that having a worldwide gross equivalent to Captain America: First Avenger's 375$ mill will be viewed as a failure for Marvel if that is what ANT MAN's final tally is?

Not a great trailer. Comes off as too serious, and it doesn't really have any big moments to make it all worth it.

Though it is just a trailer. Granted, it's the first big look they've given us at this movie, but I really wouldn't make any big assumptions off this.

Unfortunately the movie will be about saving the world. :(

Scott becomes Ant-Man primarily to save Cassie, and I think that's something they would adapt to his film origin.

They could hint more about how she's sick, but people are already saying the trailer is too serious.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It is painful to look at such boring tv level generic cinematopgraphy knowing what we nearly got.

And you think the test footage type scenes will not be in this movie?

I mean, as one gaffer hypothesized, the scene in this trailer where Ant-Man is running towards the closed door will probably have him shrink down and run under the crack all in one shot.

Draconian

Don't get trying to combine the epic music with humor. It fell pretty flat. It doesn't look particularly interesting from an aesthetic point of view either. I think the concept is interesting, but this trailer didn't do much for me.

lol i see what you did there.

Seriously, Cassie is the reason Scott becomes a hero. She's a big deal for his character.

I will say that this trailer assured me that Scott and Cassie's story will be handled well, as they're obviously giving it a big focus. That makes me happy. I can see this movie having a lot of heart by placing Cassie at the forefront.

Took some screen grabs:

t5dmcFZ.jpg

I like this image.

iFirez

Some parts of the trailer are really good imo. I also can't help but want to smile and laugh when I see Rudd on screen - while this returns to the more textbook super hero origins we're used to, I think the meat of the movie may be quite different. Lets wait and see for more I guess, but a solid trailer with an over the top lens flare flying ant CGI scene.

Probably heard before, but it was a bit underwhelming. Nothing problematic, nothing exciting. Plenty of marketing yet to improve on it.

duckroll

Scott becomes Ant-Man primarily to save Cassie, and I think that's something they would adapt to his film origin.

This is how Marvel themselves describe the movie in the official synopsis:

"Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world."

Hey I was far from sold on GOTG, especially the talking Raccoon part. Now it is one of my favorite Marvel movies. Definitely will give all their films a shot if they can turn me around on Rocket.

anaron

Surprisingly blah.

I have almost no doubts the movie will be fun and do well but for a first impression, pretty underwhelming.

except for that shitless shot 👄

guek

Banned
It is painful to look at such boring tv level generic cinematopgraphy knowing what we nearly got.

Cheebo, I'm not quite at the point where I want to see this movie succeed just to spite you. Your nonstop hyperbolic negativity is getting me close though.

Draconian

Also, I didn't have much confidence in Rudd before this trailer, and now I certainly think he's going to be a weak link.

This is how Marvel themselves describe the movie in the official synopsis:

"Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world."

Yeah I get it, and that's probably true. Superhero origins tend to involve saving a large number of people, but the most important thing about Scott's origin are his personal stakes. Wright hinted that he was using the Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode featuring Scott as inspiration for his screenplay, and that episode really emphasized his desperation to help her.

It's a short trailer so we're all speculating, but I think they spent a considerable amount of the limited time focusing on Scott's relationship with Cassie.

Not the greatest trailer, but that's because I was hoping for more Ant-Man action ala the test footage. Was a fan of the shrinking stuff we did get though. We haven't even seen the Wasp suit in action so there's a lot more to see still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom