• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Was Hank Prym as old as Michael Douglas is now (70) when he gave Scott Lang the Ant-Man suit? I figured Prym was younger (30s-40s) when this happened but I'm no expert.

No, they're reinterpreting that. Probably indicating that Hank/Janet were heroes in like the 70's or something.

Anyways, I'm not crazy about the trailer. Nothing really stood out, which isn't surprising considering the last-second director. Hopefully the next trailer will leave a more meaningful impression. I'll still watch it. Just disappointed. Hopefully the film is more lighthearted.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The actual in-costume Antman parts looked really nice, everything else looked pretty generic in my opinion. I was hoping for a bit more personality injected into this movie like we saw with Guardians.

Still, there's plenty of time for more trailers so I won't be too hasty to judge.

BlazinAm

I wonder if this movie will do poorly because the expectation that is has to topple the big bombastic comic movies that came and will out. How do you build an origin story and then have presumably a focused one on one action sequence to end the film on?

Also with Avengers do you think that people will watch Ultron and then come back 2-3 months later to see another comic book movie or will they have their fill?

I wonder if this will end the Marvel winning streak.

Like financially or critically?

I think it will take a few subpar films to start seeing financial loss (though I think this will be their lowest grossing film since Cap America), but Thor 2 was pretty underwhelming critically.

Blader

Last line made me laugh. I think Douglas and Rudd are going to kill it in.

I see plenty of "tone is too serious" remarks from people who I guess forget Marvel's other 10 movies.

Grisby

Looked kinda boring. I don't know much about Ant Man but I thought it'd be more humorous. I guess I'm basing that off of the Wright teaser that was up a while back. That teaser felt better than this whole 2 minute trailer.

Waited for the hook and it never came. I understand why the effects-heavy action scenes aren't ready to show, with the rushed production and all. But really, that's the first impression you want to make? Get 'em next time. The old test footage sold Ant-Man in thirty seconds.

As someone who doesnt know the source material, me and my girlfriend were both super disappointed. We have been huge fans of the Marvel films (neither of us have read comics ever) but this just looks bad.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH
tumblr_mgqp1gKmst1ry10fwo1_400.gif

Silkworm

No, they're reinterpreting that. Probably indicating that Hank/Janet were heroes in like the 70's or something.

Anyways, I'm not crazy about the trailer. Nothing really stood out, which isn't surprising considering the last-second director. Hopefully the next trailer will leave a more meaningful impression.

Ah cool thanks for the clarification! I thought we were going to see Yellowjacket but perhaps the origins for that have likewise been modified for the MCU such that we won't necessarily see Michael Douglas playing that role.

Dead

well not really...yet
It is painful to look at such boring tv level generic cinematopgraphy knowing what we nearly got.
Perhaps Paul Feig has been behind the camera all along

Hopefully the movie does not end up being:

Ant-Man: The Thor 2 of Marvel movies

duckroll

Yeah I get it, and that's probably true. Superhero origins tend to involve saving a large number of people, but the most important thing about Scott's origin are his personal stakes. Wright hinted that he was using the Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode featuring Scott as inspiration for his screenplay, and that episode really emphasized his desperation to help her.

I absolutely agree that the movie Wright wanted to make would have been a self-contained story with more personal stakes.

Lol. :(

Gravidee

No, this was just shit. The Star Wars 7 teaser, for instance, was fantastic at building hype. The Guardians of the Galaxy teaser was great, too, and I'm not even an MCU fan.

People were hyped like crazy for the Winter Soldier and Guardians teasers. They were great teasers. This was godawful.

Not arguing that this was the greatest teaser ever. But it seems like a lot of people here are ready to hate on this movie even though there isn't much to show. I'm unsure as well considering the troubled development of this movie and Wright leaving, but that's not to say that I don't have at least a little optimism that the final product will turn out ok.

I thought the marvel movies were too lighthearted and didn't take themselves seriously enough, based on like every criticism in these movie threads

I liked the trailer, though I was already sold on it from day 1 being ant man. Can't wait to see what they do!

I absolutely agree that the movie Wright wanted to make would have been a self-contained story with more personal stakes.

Lol. :(

It's a part of the character's origin in the comics, it's not the kind of thing they would throw out just because it was in Wright's script that they adapted.

Draconian

Lol, really? You got that from the trailer?

Oh man, when people want to hate a thing nothing will stop them.

Want to hate? Come on man. I'll give just about anything a shot, but when two lines of his that are supposed to make me laugh fall flat, yeah, I can already tell that they could've gotten someone better for me anyway.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Damn, we getting "looks like a tv show" comments in here? Really?

Agreed. Say what you want about the tone of the trailer, but the cinematography looked pretty dynamic to me.

I'm not gonna write the film off just because of one teaser trailer.

Hagi

Pretty low key as far as trailers go. I love the suit and that fact that he rides a flying ant is just bananas. I wasn't sure if they were going to go all the way with the whole communicating with ants thing and I'm really glad it seems they are.

dabig2

Interesting tone to go with on the first trailer. Didn't expect a more serious/by-the-books trailer till at least tv commercials started airing (ala GotG). But we'll see. Always bet on Marvel.

I think we're eventually going to dig up this thread from the graveyard and find out who has to eat crow again.

Mind you, I'm not overly impressed with the trailer, but I feel pretty confident Marvel will deliver the goods again.

"Eat crow again"? What other movie did people have to eat crow from? Aside from Captain America 2, all of Marvel's movies since Iron Man 1 have been terrible.

mreddie

It's ok. But man, after Guardians and Ultron, this feels a bit light aside from the name gag. Hopefully trailer 2 is a bit better but I think we're gonna wait a while for that.

rexor0717

I remember not being hyped in the slightest for GoTG, then it blew me away. Right now, I'm not particularly hyped after the trailer, but I still believe the movie will impress.

HOLY SHIT that trailer was motherfucking HYPE! Did you see him riding a motherfucking ant? This is magic school bus level of craziness ms. frizzle be all like 'ANT MAN SAVE ME' and he be like 'nah I already have a daughter' and he rides the ant away holy shit so hype

DarkFlow

Banned
Someone really needs to make a Marvel Bingo card for these. It needs "Looks like a TV show" "This is the one that will flop" and for Ant-man only "This would have been better if Wright was still making it".

Huge Marvel fan.

I still think this will be Marvels first real misstep. I'm all for Ant Man in the MCU but he shouldn't have a stand alone film.

I hope I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom