• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive FTC Leak: Mid Gen Xbox Hardware, Series S/X Refreshes, New Controller, and Game Plans!

Reminds me of the Mac trash can.

IB3C0192-1024.jpg

Elios83

Wow massive leak (even the design?!)...but basically on the hardware side there are just redesigns at the same prices, no more physical support.
There are no Pro systems.
And finally they'll have haptics.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I never thought I’d meet another person here who thought the same thing I did about controllers lol. People here talk about games not evolving, but dual joystick controllers have not truly evolved for over 20 years now, and every company is now too scared to take a chance at doing so.

It’s crazy that everyone just settled into it.

I also think the current controller format is holding back games a bit. I'd at least like to see at minimum 2 back buttons on controllers become standard.

DrFigs

In other words, if Gabe Newell decides he wants to retire and fly into the sunset basking in billions of dollar shaped pillows, he only needs to make one phone call to Phil.

P.S. yes, I do know that Gabe is already a billionaire.
i would hope even the most corrupt, brainless judge realizes that its obscene for Microsoft to own the windows store, xbox on pc, and steam. but idk i don't have high hopes

BoxFresh123

So theoretically this refresh will launch alongside the PS5 Pro (if real). And then you'll still have PS6 vs whatever next XBox?

Its amazing they went from the underdog geek heroes in the halo/gears of war trilogy days to the out of touch, corporate, Borg like anti art overlords with actual designs to transmogrify gaming as we know it by basically taking it over and turning it into some Netflix but for games dogshit

Thankfully they're of no threat because Nintendo and Playstation have a Grand Canyon sized gap in both commercial and critical success. They'll never even be second place. And they will never be a market leader. Will their plan maybe get some traction/success? Eh. possibly some small amount. But I honestly think its more likely it flops and they fall flat on their stupid face for like the 20th time.

A true plague and threat to the industry. An anathema

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Wow I hate it all.

- No power uplift
- No disc drive
- The design is awful
- shitty ass pricing

There's no point to owning an xbox console anymore. Ill be happy to see the back of microsoft if its true, which most likely it is. To think these people made a console as good as the 360 saddens me.

You're not kidding. Despite strongly preferring physical media, I saw this coming a mile away and switched to digital on Xbox at the beginning of last gen.

I saw it too and decided to just stop buying games on xbox.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I tried it on ps5 games, and promptly disable it.
The feedback makes you push too hard on the triggers. They'll wear out faster.
Pass
i have no reason personally to think that haptic feedback ruins controllers faster, but it is better in some games than others. very few games really use it well.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This isn't really a refresh, it's just a Slim model. by.... removing the disc drive 🤔

supernova8

Banned
Objectively, why would someone want to buy the Series X digital for the exact same price as the Series X disc version?
OK you get an extra 1TB storage but surely the loss of the disc drive is significant and requires "compensation" (in the form of a discount; even if you don't need the disc drive you may as well get it for flexibility if Microsoft isn't going to "pay" you to not have it).

Sony gave people a $100 discount on the PS5 DE and most people still seem to want the disc version (I say that because I remember the DE going out of stock far less often than the disc version).

I don't understand why Microsoft has decided those consumer behavior dynamics don't apply to them, unless they are assuming that consumer preferences will change significantly in the next year or so.

Last edited:

damidu

Objectively, why would someone want to buy the Series X digital for the exact same price as the Series X disc version?
OK you get an extra 1TB storage but surely the loss of the disc drive is significant and requires "compensation" (in the form of a discount).

Sony gave people a $100 discount on the PS5 DE and most people still seem to want the disc version (I say that because I remember the DE going out of stock far less often than the disc version).
there will not be an original series x to buy around, is the plan i guess

anyways looking at timelines, this thing will be even more of a laughing stock than series s, when it releases against a ps5pro,
if they haven’t changed their plans

brilliant leadership at it again

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
i would hope even the most corrupt, brainless judge realizes that its obscene for Microsoft to own the windows store, xbox on pc, and steam. but idk i don't have high hopes

Just give whatever judge is ruling on the case a job/internship at Microsoft and Bob's your uncle.

MICE.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
OK you get an extra 1TB storage but surely the loss of the disc drive is significant and requires "compensation" (in the form of a discount; even if you don't need the disc drive you may as well get it for flexibility if Microsoft isn't going to "pay" you to not have it).

I don't understand why Microsoft has decided those consumer behavior dynamics don't apply to them, unless they are assuming that consumer preferences will change significantly in the next year or so.
Two words: terrible decisions.

They are thoroughly out of touch. When the PS5 Pro releases at $499 against this Series X refresh, Microsoft will not know what hit them. Then they'll cry that Sony is so entrenched that no one buys an Xbox.

supernova8

Banned

They are thoroughly out of touch. When the PS5 Pro releases at $499 against this Series X refresh, Microsoft will not know what hit them. Then they'll cry that Sony is so entrenched that no one buys an Xbox.

I was thinking even without a PS5 Pro, if Sony releases the rumored slim/slightly smaller PS4 digital-default for $399 with the option to buy an add-on disc drive (for those who want it, seemingly not an insignificant number of people) then the narrative is just going to end up being:

"Hey at least Sony gives consumers the flexibility to choose if/when they want their console to be able to play physical media. Xbox has just taken away that choice completely AND it costs $100 extra!".

I'd like to see even the most diehard Xbox fans argue against that. Unless Microsoft goes in hard with a paid-influencer marketing push, that's the exact narrative that will come up.

Plus this move from Microsoft (indirectly) negatively affects people buying Playstation since (with that pricing for XSX digital) Sony will be able to charge us $100 for a bog standard blu-ray drive (that reeeeeeeeally shouldn't cost more than like $30 or something) that just has a bit of nice-looking plastic around it, whereas they might have been pressured into being more aggressive on price if Microsoft opted for lower pricing.

Last edited:
Sony must be gleeing with this leak. Everything laid out like that.

Removal of the disc seems like prime dunking material.
It's just as likely that Microsoft allowed this "leak" to happen in order to glean how consumers would react to a disc-less console.

If you think Sony can adapt on the fly to this news, what makes you think Microsoft can't by the same token change their strategy an entire year before this new console releases.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony must be gleeing with this leak. Everything laid out like that.

Removal of the disc and possibility of no disc attachment seems like prime dunking material.
Yep. This information got leaked just before:
  • Sony's PS5 "slim" and Pro launch so they can pivot and adjust their marketing if needed,
  • Before TGS, so Nintendo and other Japanese developers and media know that Microsoft is using a planted proxy to buy Nintendo shares and intends to buy Nintendo,
  • Before the CMA finalizes its decision on ABK, with them now knowing that Microsoft has been even planning to acquire Nintendo and Valve, so ABK is not about competing with Sony.

jm89

It's just as likely that Microsoft allowed this "leak" to happen in order to glean how consumers would react to a disc-less console.

If you think Sony can adapt on the fly to this news, what makes you think Microsoft can't by the same token change their strategy an entire year before this new console releases.
Sony don't need to adapt with this news in any massive way, nothing here needs for them to hugely change strategy.

Last edited:
  • Sony's PS5 "slim" and Pro launch so they can pivot and adjust their marketing if needed,
  • Before TGS, so Nintendo and other Japanese developers and media know that Microsoft is using a planted proxy to buy Nintendo shares and intends to buy Nintendo,
  • Before the CMA finalizes its decision on ABK, with them now knowing that Microsoft has been even planning to acquire Nintendo and Valve, so ABK is not about competing with Sony.
Wait, so in an year's time every single party in this industry can pivot around this leak but Microsoft will for some reason stay put?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

And why is MS acting as if they don't know the PS5 Slim will launch at $399? Has Phil lost his mind?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
idk how nintendo will react to this after signing the 10 years deal

Top Bottom