• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

T8SC

Gold Member
Don't mind me, I'll be done in a minute...

the-cat-red-dwarf.gif

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'm extremely unfamiliar with this show, i just things hugely hilarious that a fourth element is "boomerang"..

.. Why didn't they just say "kilbassa!" or "dildo!" or "Schwartzkoph!" (Nod to Mel Brooks)
The character can’t bend, thus the joke. Also I don’t see anything weird about that post from Netflix except the obligatory pronouns

Tschumi

The character can’t bend, thus the joke. Also I don’t see anything weird about that post from Netflix except the obligatory pronouns
i didn't say it was weird bro

i've heard that this show is well regarded, i couldn't get into it, i was juuuuust saying the word choice was funny.

Tschumi

Typical travel troubles,i can confirm that today for the first time in my entire few months spent in Tokyo mobile phone data simply decided to not function exactly when i was trying to book a Shinkansen ticket at the station with a giant bicycle in a bag slung over my shoulder.

It works perfectly, it HAS worked perfectly in this specific location a dozen times in the recent past, only this time? Fuck no. I swear, one day it will be revealed that the heightened stress and perspiration and whatever-pheromones of a traveler fuck with electronics.

Had to leg it to a Starbucks for wifi

*Joe pesci fake swearing from home alone*

nush

Gold Member
It works perfectly, it HAS worked perfectly in this specific location a dozen times in the recent past, only this time? Fuck no. I swear, one day it will be revealed that the heightened stress and perspiration and whatever-pheromones of a traveler fuck with electronics.

See also, anytime you REALLY need to print a document.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Typical travel troubles,i can confirm that today for the first time in my entire few months spent in Tokyo mobile phone data simply decided to not function exactly when i was trying to book a Shinkansen ticket at the station with a giant bicycle in a bag slung over my shoulder.

Had to leg it to a Starbucks for wifi

*Joe pesci fake swearing from home alone*
Can you not buy tickets from the counter with cash anymore? When I was there data was like a billion dollars a megabyte so we never used our phones, I just learned how to say “2 tickets to…” and usually if we looked too lost a nice salaryman would come over and help us

Last edited:

Star-Lord

So I mentioned in the Random Thoughts thread about a humbling experience at the food bank, but what I didn’t mention is that I was there to collect. I felt like a failure going in. It’s only temporary but I shouldn’t have been in this situation. And I’ll admit, I have previously looked down upon less fortunate people. But the way they helped me, embraced me, supported me. I honestly felt so emotionally overwhelmed. There are good people in the world, and I met them today.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I mentioned in the Random Thoughts thread about a humbling experience at the food bank, but what I didn’t mention is that I was there to collect. I felt like a failure going in. It’s only temporary but I shouldn’t have been in this situation. And I’ll admit, I have previously looked down upon less fortunate people. But the way they helped me, embraced me, supported me. I honestly felt so emotionally overwhelmed. There are good people in the world, and I met them today.
Proud Of You Reaction GIF

T8SC

Gold Member

The sad thing is, the world is full of good people, good intentions, good thoughts & good actions ... however it's all drowned out by our media focusing on the doom & gloom.

Imagine how more upbeat people would be if they knew of the good in the world instead of just the bad.

Star-Lord

The sad thing is, the world is full of good people, good intentions, good thoughts & good actions ... however it's all drowned out by our media focusing on the doom & gloom.

Imagine how more upbeat people would be if they knew of the good in the world instead of just the bad.
It really is. I stopped buying newspapers because it’s all just negativity. The good feels get condensed to a small box on one page. People need to share the love.

Ionian

Yep, it’s all COVID this or Brexit that. Even the fluff pieces are depressing these days. If I want a laugh, I just look in the mirror.

Plenty of people got your back here.

There's zero shame in looking for help. Needing some doesn't make you any less of a person in the slightest. We all need help sometimes, the last few years have been fucked for most people, sure has been for me. Lost the use of my legs and learned to walk again. Family mostly disowned me over it when I was going to hospital. Never visited me, apart from one. Didn't want to see me like that. Fucking assholes. (pretty sure I said this before) all for getting knocked down by taxis I wasn't even hailing. And now the pubs are open again, no sleep and my Father points at the drink on my table and tells me to give it up (Mi-Wadi, his eyesight must be going). Could be the flavour though, Apple and Pear really is disgusting and keep accidently buying it.

At least I don't have to use a walker anymore, shittest year of my life.

Doesn't help we're heading into winter and things getting darker by 4pm.

Have you tried the Samaritans or anything similar? You need counselling dude, perhaps a GP to give you an SSRI. Seriously look into it. There is hope, don't be afraid to reach out, you're not alone.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Doesn't help we're heading into winter and things getting darker by 4pm.

Have you tried the Samaritans or anything similar? You need counselling dude, perhaps a GP to give you an SSRI. Seriously look into it. There is hope, don't be afraid to reach out, you're not alone.

One thing I thought about when I first got my PSVR is how much I'd probably use it to just chill out somewhere sunny or in a Forrest in VR if I was in the UK. Just to get away from the cold dark dreariness of it all. Sunny blue skies of Astrobot did lighten my mood in a way it wouldnt on a TV. I wouldn't even need to play just hang out in the "Sunshine".

One thing I noticed when I first came to China was the general mood crash this time of year from the brits online. You don't notice it when you are there in the middle of it all, but it's more obvious when you step outside the island.

Ionian

One thing I thought about when I first got my PSVR is how much I'd probably use it to just chill out somewhere sunny or in a Forrest in VR if I was in the UK. Just to get away from the cold dark dreariness of it all. Sunny blue skies of Astrobot did lighten my mood in a way it wouldnt on a TV. I wouldn't even need to play just hang out in the "Sunshine".

One thing I noticed when I first came to China was the general mood crash this time of year from the brits online. You don't notice it when you are there in the middle of it all, but it's more obvious when you step outside the island.

One thing I've never tried is VR. From the old days in video shops to the newer versions. I love watching the videos though of the chat-rooms. Old mIRC dude so busted up laughing at people calling other people "trolls" when they were just having fun.

Mate asked me if I ever tried the Google carboard thing, put your phone in etc. I said no and he said he'd bring his over years ago. Was intrigued.

He never did, still selling him a G5 server soon so must remind him. A proper VR i'd be game for, just they're something I'd simply forget about after a few uses and they're not cheap. When doing my thesis I was fascinated by the desk of a professor, he makes videos on coding for it. Asked to do that for mine, was told no as the professor I was appointed didn't teach it. Can PM the name if curious as I know you code. Really wacky shit.

Tschumi

Can you not buy tickets from the counter with cash anymore? When I was there data was like a billion dollars a megabyte so we never used our phones, I just learned how to say “2 tickets to…” and usually if we looked too lost a nice salaryman would come over and help us
Data's dirt cheap and unlimited now, i could have but I had nowhere to put my bike

Ionian

Data's dirt cheap and unlimited now, i could have but I had nowhere to put my bike

Can get unlimited calls and texts, along with data (fair use) for 12.50 euro now. Have the Sim Card sitting on my desk for when my one runs out. Stupid cheap. Reception though is another question, havn't tried it yet. Claims 4G but again not used it yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom