• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta launches Instagram-linked Twitter replacement “Threads” tomorrow

Calling him "Elmo" is Resetera class shit. Try to be better than the purple site, or fuck off there where they hate him 24/7 like you seem to want to.

6374255f807d55001800c762

giphy.gif

MrMephistoX

Elon's simp lords in the hooooouse

I have no sympathy for the guy fucking up his own platform but as of this writing feature wise it’s still much more of what I want than threads: that’s easily fixed when they launch a follow only panel though: the real test will be the next big news event I wouldn’t necessarily count Twitter out there because it’s very CNN like in that way: ignore it during a slow news cycle but if you’re into news and politics you kind of can’t look away during a major event.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I actually think that right now Threads is a pretty decent alternative. No adverts yet, all a bit random, but not filled with the bile and hatred on Twitter. It won’t last.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have no sympathy for the guy fucking up his own platform but as of this writing feature wise it’s still much more of what I want than threads: that’s easily fixed when they launch a follow only panel though: the real test will be the next big news event I wouldn’t necessarily count Twitter out there because it’s very CNN like in that way: ignore it during a slow news cycle but if you’re into news and politics you kind of can’t look away during a major event.

Yea, there's a very real possibility Twitter will somehow struggle along and still be the place where most news orgs post. It seems very few have fled to Bluesky, for example. They almost all have accounts there, sure, but they don't post much as far as I can tell.

That said, Bluesky could possibly fill that void if Twitter buckles, and they seem eager to (a few of their team members have been very open about how they're reaching out to news orgs and individual journalists). The problem is, Bluesky as a company, team, and CEO, seem to not be ambitious at all when it comes to growth. Which obviously matters.

To put things into perspective: Threads launched with Meta money and added 70 million plus users instantly. Bluesky over the long Independence Day weekend added 50k users and it was a "Big Deal" for them. They only had one infra engineer who had to work all four days to scale their infra out to handle it. For 50k users.

They just finished their first seeding for investment and gathered a whopping $8m dollars. That might seem like a lot for a small team, but if they want to grow to handle millions of users that money would evaporate quickly. Jack Dorsey does not own it despite what many think, he just has a seat on the board, and as far as I can tell the CEO largely ignores him. Jack is also seemingly still more interested in Twitter than he is Bluesky and their efforts to get their AT protocol adopted across decentralized social media.

I don't know man. Twitter is losing money hand over fist and it's only a matter of time until their final large ad buyers leave them. I could share some very recent screenshots of what it's like over there now but it would probably fall under the umbrella of politics so I won't. Suffice to say Elon is really, really pushing the limits when it comes to the kinds of comments and disinformation he now allows.

One bright spot: long term none of this should matter if Threads wins, because they intend on joining the Fediverse. Once that happens it doesn't matter what your "home" platform is, because you'll be able to follow anyone anywhere so long as they support ActivityPub.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Yea, there's a very real possibility Twitter will somehow struggle along and still be the place where most news orgs post. It seems very few have fled to Bluesky, for example. They almost all have accounts there, sure, but they don't post much as far as I can tell.

That said, Bluesky could possibly fill that void if Twitter buckles, and they seem eager to (a few of their team members have been very open about how they're reaching out to news orgs and individual journalists). The problem is, Bluesky as a company, team, and CEO, seem to not be ambitious at all when it comes to growth. Which obviously matters.

To put things into perspective: Threads launched with Meta money and added 70 million plus users instantly. Bluesky over the long Independence Day weekend added 50k users and it was a "Big Deal" for them. They only had one infra engineer who had to work all four days to scale their infra out to handle it. For 50k users.

They just finished their first seeding for investment and gathered a whopping $8m dollars. That might seem like a lot for a small team, but if they want to grow to handle millions of users that money would evaporate quickly. Jack Dorsey does not own it despite what many think, he just has a seat on the board, and as far as I can tell the CEO largely ignores him. Jack is also seemingly still more interested in Twitter than he is Bluesky and their efforts to get their AT protocol adopted across decentralized social media.

I don't know man. Twitter is losing money hand over fist and it's only a matter of time until their final large ad buyers leave them. I could share some very recent screenshots of what it's like over there now but it would probably fall under the umbrella of politics so I won't. Suffice to say Elon is really, really pushing the limits when it comes to the kinds of comments and disinformation he now allows.

One bright spot: long term none of this should matter if Threads wins, because they intend on joining the Fediverse. Once that happens it doesn't matter what your "home" platform is, because you'll be able to follow anyone anywhere so long as they support ActivityPub.
Yeah some of the the stuff allowed there would make pre politics ban NeoGaf blush. I was just discouraged to see the lead threads dev basically give the middle finger to serious news the other day: hopefully they’ll realize their error.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not on the big corporate social medias (facebook, youtube, instagram) and certainly not on Pre-Musk Twitter.
I'm talking about in the general sphere of public discourse overall. As for big tech, I am aware of the problems they had regarding free speech, but overall speech was more free than not. The problems they did have with their overzealous censorship campaign is more a capitalism problem than it is a government problem, and echoing my sentiments earlier, I don't have a solution for capitalism.

Once again, I actually really like Elon Musk but even I admit he's got a big mouth sometimes and he's made some really stupid decisions regarding Twitter. If Threads really does take off he has only himself to blame and believe me, I don't want to see Zuck beat him.

mopspear

After using this forum actively for awhile now, I'm really appreciating the old style of interaction over this new stuff.

Also, I speak in a very general way, but Twitter was so unnecessarily harmful for society and we really really don't need more things like it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Legit baffled there's people here actively championing Mark Zuckerberg's new app just as a "fuck you" to Elon Musk.

Zuckerberg, probably the most heinous, most ruthless techbro sociopath out there. Proven time and time again not giving a single fuck about anyone or anything other than harvesting all your data and selling it to the highest bidder. The guy that owns three of the four largest Western social media apps, yet lacks even a shred of actual entrepreneurship. The man is not an intellectual, or a visionary. The list of "incidents" regarding privacy, moderation, information regulation are countless.

Tell me again how this is worth celebrating:

F0T5J7qaEAEuAEK

F0T5KWbaUAA9vRd

Z O N E

Legit baffled there's people here actively championing Mark Zuckerberg's new app just as a "fuck you" to Elon Musk.

Zuckerberg, probably the most heinous, most ruthless techbro sociopath out there. Proven time and time again not giving a single fuck about anyone or anything other than harvesting all your data and selling it to the highest bidder. The guy that owns three of the four largest Western social media apps, yet lacks even a shred of actual entrepreneurship. The man is not an intellectual, or a visionary. The list of "incidents" regarding privacy, moderation, information regulation are countless.

F0T5KWbaUAA9vRd

Personally, I hate them both, but Twitter has just gone to absolute shits for me since Musk bought it.

I am getting an insane amount of political stuff on my timeline when I don't even search for it. I hate politics and don't even search for it anywhere.

I will search for football stuff and then my timeline will fix for a short time and then it brings back political stuff and football stuff disappears.

Now, Zuck ain't a saint, but it terms of social media, Threads has actually learned from my following and likes and has started to give me what I want. Sure 1 or 2 might slip through the cracks, but I am not getting anything political or crazy, which is PERFECT for me.

As they say, lesser of 2 evils. 🤷‍♂️

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Mate. You're on a forum where anything Phil Spencer does is cheered and anything Jim Ryan does is booed. And vice versa.

One of the worst thing about modern social media and internet interaction is people defending/championing one corporate executive over another corporate executive - as if any of the cunts give a flying fuck about them.

Last edited:

chromhound

F0T5J7qaEAEuAEK

F0T5KWbaUAA9vRd
The reason i have not made an account

ManaByte

Gold Member
People want an app that works, Musk broke Twitter. His simps in this thread want to pretend rare limiting doesn’t exist, but I just opened the app and was only able to see like 5 tweets on a profile.

Interesting discussion

The ballad of curious George. One of the first prolific clowns drafted into Musk's Twitter circus. Reached out to "make the world alive". Spent a couple of hours on cam pressing F12 on his internet browser and reading Graph specification while his live chat tried to make it seem like he was doing some real work. Joined Twitter on a three month internship. Spent that time asking Twitter users to help him out with the search. Hosted a Twitter Spaces where Musk called one of his ex-engineers a jackass. Then he quits, after a month, because he didn't like Twitter's code. For a small window of time Musk got a temporary boost to his nerd credentials by hiring a l337 iphone hacker who knew what he was doing rather than those useless blue-haired screechers who he's now telling the world went to Meta and is angry about it.

On the video: he doesn't know what a monarchy or oligarchy is, and doesn't seem to understand how to use those terms as metaphors. He's also still holding onto Twitter being able to be run by 50 people despite bailing as soon as he saw the code. When he just talks about being a coder with Fridman he's in his element and there are things of his worth listening to there, and they spend a good time talking TDD and CI. There are also insights into Twitter and its culture that he gives that are also worthwhile listening to here. Reading between the lines it looks to me that he was hoping Musk's Twitter would have the philosophy of a rough-and-ready startup that will let him have some semblance of freedom, but all he found was just another engineering mega-corp.

MrMephistoX

Personally, I hate them both, but Twitter has just gone to absolute shits for me since Musk bought it.

I am getting an insane amount of political stuff on my timeline when I don't even search for it. I hate politics and don't even search for it anywhere.

I will search for football stuff and then my timeline will fix for a short time and then it brings back political stuff and football stuff disappears.

Now, Zuck ain't a saint, but it terms of social media, Threads has actually learned from my following and likes and has started to give me what I want. Sure 1 or 2 might slip through the cracks, but I am not getting anything political or crazy, which is PERFECT for me.

As they say, lesser of 2 evils. 🤷‍♂️
Threads on the other hand is full of vapid influencer shit from influencers I don’t even have an interest in or follow: IDK maybe I’ve just trained Twitter to know what I like which is mostly mainstream news outlets journalists politicians and some witty celebrities like John Cleese. Extremist stuff usually only pops into my feed if someone like AOC retweet’s it on the left or Tee Cruz retweets it on the right and then I mute it. Bonus I have never had to spend 20 minutes daily on Twitter muting what Zuck wants me to see:

tt6ob4u.jpg

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Threads on the other hand is full of vapid influencer shit from influencers I don’t even have an interest in or follow: IDK maybe I’ve just trained Twitter to know what I like which is mostly mainstream news outlets journalists politicians and some witty celebrities like John Cleese. Extremist stuff usually only pops into my feed if someone like AOC retweet’s it on the left or Tee Cruz retweets it on the right and then I mute it. Bonus I have never had to spend 20 minutes daily on Twitter muting what Zuck wants me to see:

tt6ob4u.jpg
Most real people have left Twitter. Now it’s all just CMS auto posts of articles.

Trickster

If Threads end up killing Twitter I'm gonna laugh my ass off when everyone goes "well what do we do now" and remembers that Zuckerberg is actually just as trash as Musk, if not more so. And after everything, all they've managed to do is swap one platform owned by a narcissistic billionaire out for another

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Interesting discussion

Unbearable.

I swear to god half the time it seems Fridman doesn't actually understand what the other person is talking about and just agrees with them regardless. Hardly ever will he ask a guest to elaborate on whatever statement they're making, or god forbid challenge a guest on said statement.

In this video there are multiple moments where Hotz mentions refactoring and instead of engaging in actual conversation he just goes "hmmm yeah yeah, refactor, very important indeed. Codebase, large codebase, very important".

Dude what the fuck are you even talking about? Why don't ask him to elaborate in any way? It's so extremely low energy.

So frustrating.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I swear to god half the time it seems Fridman doesn't actually understand what the other person is talking about and just agrees with them regardless. Hardly ever will he ask a guest to elaborate on whatever statement they're making, or god forbid challenge a guest on said statement.

In this video there are multiple moments where Hotz mentions refactoring and instead of engaging in actual conversation he just goes "hmmm yeah yeah, refactor, very important indeed. Codebase, large codebase, very important".

Dude what the fuck are you even talking about? Why don't ask him to elaborate in any way? It's so extremely low energy.

So frustrating.
Lex seems like the biggest poser in a world of posers, his biggest claim to fame seems to be posing in front of someone else’s work on a chalkboard at MIT and trying to be a smarter Joe Rogan while sounding like he just slammed a fifth of vodka and wearing the same dumb suit for an audio podcast

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Lex seems like the biggest poser in a world of posers, his biggest claim to fame seems to be posing in front of someone else’s work on a chalkboard at MIT and trying to be a smarter Joe Rogan while sounding like he just slammed a fifth of vodka and wearing the same dumb suit for an audio podcast

AFAIK he does have actual credentials, but I've never heard or read anything from him because I try to stay away from the talking head types. I can read a book or absorb the news without commentary by myself, thank you very much. I think the only philosopher type I've ever read multiple books fro was Carl Sagan. And he was different from what we have in modern times.

He leans towards libertarian tech bro culture warrior quite (too) often but when he gets in his interviewer groove, asks follow up questions and lets the guests speak then he fulfils the job of letting the interviewee reveal sonething about themselves, which is basically all you want out of the conversation. He was good with Kanye West, Destiny and John Carmack. The holy triumvirate of guests.

Of course with his current guest, the notable nutter RFK he just sits there and lets the guy spew out the most awful bullshit without a single challenge.

Last edited:
Again, I like Musk and I agree he's also screwing up Twitter.

But I'm in no hurry to run to Zuckerberg's shitty alternative and which hasn't even all the features Twitter has yet. Plus the guy is a fucking snake and worse than Musk in my opinion. He may not have as big of a mouth as Musk but he has a history of being a slime ball.

Last edited:
Fwiw, the Twitter algorithm keeps showing me mostly posts of Warhammer and Dungeons and Dragons so it seems to be working fine for me.

Hudo

That's my impression of the guy as well.

gothmog

Gold Member
If Threads end up killing Twitter I'm gonna laugh my ass off when everyone goes "well what do we do now" and remembers that Zuckerberg is actually just as trash as Musk, if not more so. And after everything, all they've managed to do is swap one platform owned by a narcissistic billionaire out for another
I'll take just as inept as Musk but also a soulless, awkward android over Musk any day. Hopefully someone comes up with the next social media trend and knocks the whole bite sized media thing back into the ether.

Top Bottom