• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 releases on October 10.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
How is the movie watching experience on it?
I've never decided to watch a whole movie on it (honestly, because wife would throw something at me for locking myself in the headset all evening instead of watching one together), but it's very fun to view YouTube on a massive screen--or Netflix, or anything streamed on your local computer if you install Virtual Desktop.

I hear that there's also a wealth of educational content out there but can't speak to it.

Of course a cinephile eye would be bothered by the resolution on Q2, but Q3's resolution is probably just enough to get over that limitation for most users.

Last edited:

Romulus

UploadVR finally has there hands on, some highlights for me:

For example, Red Matter 2's developer increased the rendering resolution from a fixed 1226×1440 dynamically up to 3322×3519, replaced 1K textures with 4K textures, and added dynamic shadows with high-quality shadow filtering to grabbable objects.

4x the texture resolution + much higher native resolution + dynamic shadows. Damn.

In my demo, I could hold down a button to toggle between Quest 2 mode and Quest 3 mode in real-time. I was completely blown away by how much better it looked - far closer to what I'm used to on PlayStation VR2 than gaming on Quest 2.

I also tried Assassin's Creed Nexus, Ubisoft's first AAA VR game set to launch in November. While I haven't tried this on Quest 2, I seriously doubt it could handle the draw distance and sheer number of NPCs I saw in the Quest 3 build, making Venice's relatively open-world city feel truly alive.

The difference in what developers can achieve on Quest 3 is so extreme I'd argue the new chipset is the single biggest hardware upgrade, more important than even the lenses or improved sensor suite. Meta is mainly marketing Quest 3 as the "first mainstream mixed reality headset" - but this hides the fact that it does VR so much better too. Put simply, the GPU in the new XR2 Gen 2 chipset is a beast.

Quest 3 also has Meta's widest field of view yet, at 110 degrees horizontal according to Meta when at the minimum eye relief. Horizontally, it felt roughly on par with Quest Pro, Valve Index and PlayStation VR2 - and unlike Quest 2

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

This part from your article speaks to a limitation I noticed in the LEGO demos, but says that there is a planned patch to improve it.

Like Quest Pro, the positional tracking is rock solid, so virtual objects feel truly anchored to your real environment with no jittering, drifting, or floating. The new environment 3D meshing capability means objects can attach to or move along walls, floors, and furniture with no visible offset. They can even cast shadows, adding to the feeling they're there.

But the big downside of mixed reality on Quest 3 currently is that it lacks dynamic occlusion. Yes, virtual objects can appear on or behind furniture and other static objects can be scanned when you start playing. This is a big step up from the room setup of previous headsets which had you manually draw crude rectangular cuboids. But these virtual objects are still rendered in front of your hands, arms, and other people, even if they should really be behind them.

This lack of dynamic occlusion was jarring - especially given it means virtual objects are rendered in front of your hands - and it completely broke the illusion of those virtual objects really being there in front of me. Meta will be adding dynamic occlusion as a software update later this year - but it's a huge shame it won't be there at launch.

Romulus

Yeah I wasn't too worried because the patch to fix it will be out by the end of the year.

He really raves about the MR abilities but I'm just not sold until I try it. The VR part has sold me though.

Wonko_C

Are you leaning either way so far? I really don't need to spend so much on both but I could get myself one toy. It would be my first VR product so I'm not sure if I'm on the use it all the time side or the use it for 50 minutes the first year and not use it again side

In traditional gaming I already lean towards indie and arcade-style gaming, and that's mostly what you will find with Quest. I honestly use it for PCVR gaming because the resolution is nicer there and the games are cheaper in my region. Not to mention I play lots of flat to VR conversions and emulators like Dolphin VR.

TBH I find playing 2D games on a huge virtual screen to be a waste when I could be using that time for true VR games. It's hard for me to explain but, that huge screen in front of me just doesn't look huge like the real thing, I don't even have problems with it looking a little lower resolution than my 4K screen, which isn't even big enough for my viewing distance (55"). I do use virtual screens for emulating 3DS with the 3D effect, though. Metroid Samus Returns looks fantastic in 3D.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I do use virtual screens for emulating 3DS with the 3D effect, though. Metroid Samus Returns looks fantastic in 3D.
I've been meaning to do this with some 3DS games, particularly the Majora's Mask remake, bumping up the resolution in emulator and viewing from the Quest.

You can also play anything through Dolphin emulator on a virtual 3D TV (through Virtual Desktop), which is much more compatible and fun than trying to get the DolphinVR fork to work. I wish a true DolphinVR could happen again instead of a broken fork, but the main Dolphin developers won't want VR features in core and the sole guy trying to work on it has given up due to the difficulty of collaborating with them -> https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/11723#issuecomment-1566254076

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

In traditional gaming I already lean towards indie and arcade-style gaming, and that's mostly what you will find with Quest. I honestly use it for PCVR gaming because the resolution is nicer there and the games are cheaper in my region. Not to mention I play lots of flat to VR conversions and emulators like Dolphin VR.

TBH I find playing 2D games on a huge virtual screen to be a waste when I could be using that time for true VR games. It's hard for me to explain but, that huge screen in front of me just doesn't look huge like the real thing, I don't even have problems with it looking a little lower resolution than my 4K screen, which isn't even big enough for my viewing distance (55"). I do use virtual screens for emulating 3DS with the 3D effect, though. Metroid Samus Returns looks fantastic in 3D.

Interesting take. Apple spent so much time pitching the 100 foot screen in your house aspect.

Buggy Loop

4x the texture resolution + much higher native resolution + dynamic shadows. Damn.

I’ve been explaining many times in Switch 2 threads how the new snapdragon gen 2 is a beast. It’s more than a PS4 for a few watts, it has the best performance/watt mobile chip available as of a few months ago.

Running VR resolution will not make graphics to PS4 level of course, but it’s a little beast, very efficient.

Put a chipset equivalent to this or better in a Switch 2 that doesn’t have to run those resolutions and has DLSS for 4K and a few socks will be blown off.

Debating getting the 512 gig version. Everyone was saying they never filled up their 64gig one. I did and it was annoying swapping out games. Looks like Asgards Wrath 2 is around 25 gigs. Seems like 512 is the move.

KXVXII9X

In addition to VR, the MR possibilities are awesome.

These guys are already working on this. The quest 3 understands furniture/walls etc as cover points for taking fire.

Okay, this kind of tipped my decision to a definite buy for Quest 3.

The future of AR is Ai creating escape room situations and puzzles fully scanned in your own home. A perfect overlay of a musty Victorian manor with random enemies and tactile puzzles using real objects ai knows are there.

Last edited:

Reallink

I can't believe no one has done a game like this before. Genius.

I have no doubt it exists as a one-off puzzle in likely multiple VR games you've never heard of, but Quest 3 is really the first usable AR headset. It's only an experimental black and white feature in Q2 with horrible latency, and Quest Pro only sold like 10 units and its AR cameras look like a Vtech kids toy from 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I have no doubt it exists as a one-off puzzle in likely multiple VR games you've never heard of, but Quest 3 is really the first usable AR headset. It's only an experimental black and white feature in Q2 with horrible latency, and Quest Pro only sold like 10 units and its AR cameras look like a Vtech kids toy from 10 years ago.
the AR on q3 is better than quest pro?

Darko

Are you leaning either way so far? I really don't need to spend so much on both but I could get myself one toy. It would be my first VR product so I'm not sure if I'm on the use it all the time side or the use it for 50 minutes the first year and not use it again side

I watched movies on my oculus 2 which I just sold.. it was amazing great iq.. but that’s the only thing I used it for I didn’t play much games.. so I’m leaning towards steam deck

Keihart

all that at that price is such a steal, i guess they make some of that back with personal info they extract lmao.
that being said, i'll probably get one i think, looks like a really good deal to me.

Romulus

all that at that price is such a steal, i guess they make some of that back with personal info they extract lmao.
that being said, i'll probably get one i think, looks like a really good deal to me.

You don't Facebook. All they have from me is an email.

Romulus

Might have to do this and sell off the psvr2. Haven't touched that thing in months

I'm gonna hold onto mine simply because there could be a couple of must haves coming. I'd say something huge will release that you can't play anywhere else.

Minsc

Gold Member
Are there any games where you just go to visit famous landmarks and locations around the world in incredible detail? Be kinda neat to revisit (or visit for the first time) places you've been on vacations etc (Paris, Italy, and so forth).

Keihart

In addition to VR, the MR possibilities are awesome.

These guys are already working on this. The quest 3 understands furniture/walls etc as cover points for taking fire.

i couldn't stop laughing lmao.
MR missions....MR!
EM....AR
Dumb And Dumber Lol GIF

Romulus

you dont need to log on facebook for them to link your info to your profile, but yeah, whatever, i don't care much anymore, they are getting your info one way or another

Mine is connected to an email not connected to any social media. They can still get my name I guess but there's about 2000 people in the US with the same exact name

Keihart

Mine is connected to an email not connected to any social media. They can still get my name I guess but there's about 2000 people in the US with the same exact name
its not about the name, your ip and device IDs are tracked by different companies and then traded between them to build more comprehensive information profiles .

Romulus

its not about the name, your ip and device IDs are tracked by different companies and then traded between them to build more comprehensive information profiles .

I'm fine with that. It's just not enough info for me to care the way I have it set up.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just sold my Quest 2 for a pretty decent price. Hadn't used it much in last few months and had mostly already played whatever I wanted to play. My biggest complaint was the terrible blurriness in open areas in games (for example, forests in Skyrim looked terrible but caves and inside houses etc were fine). If Quest 3 resolves that, might just get it.

Keihart

Just sold my Quest 2 for a pretty decent price. Hadn't used it much in last few months and had mostly already played whatever I wanted to play. My biggest complaint was the terrible blurriness in open areas in games (for example, forests in Skyrim looked terrible but caves and inside houses etc were fine). If Quest 3 resolves that, might just get it.
variable focus lenses cant come soon enough, thats the milestone im most looking forward on the next iterations of VR HMDs

Reallink

They're likely turning a profit on the BoM at $500 (and a very very healthy one at $650). These bog standard 2K LCD displays weren't even cutting edge 3 years ago and are certainly very affordable now, the audio and strap are cheap trash, and they likely get a sweetheart deal on the SoC given Facebook's close partnership with Qualcom on AI and VR chip development (and Qualcom is still pricing their VR chips to grow the market). Factor in only 8GB RAM, the storage being pennies per GB, mass produced plastic lenses, and a small commoditized battery = they ain't losing money on hardware this time around, but their obscenely wasteful Reality Labs R&D cost still have them miles in the hole.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I watched movies on my oculus 2 which I just sold.. it was amazing great iq.. but that’s the only thing I used it for I didn’t play much games.. so I’m leaning towards steam deck

Yeah I think the Deck is the more "practical" one, though these are both just potential toys for me. The Quest though would be more novel and provide experiences other than the normal gaming I've already been doing on other devices though.

Decisions decisions!

CobraAB

Went over to Best buy this morning as I need to pick up something.

The had a Quest 3 on display. One could not try it out or anything but you could see what it looks like as well as the controllers.

But, they had another unit next to it with the head strap removed. A extendable cable was attached to it and you could put it up to your face a try out the color pass thru.

I gotta say it looked pretty damn good. It also showed some graphics over layed on top. Diplays and the lenses looked pretty damn sharp.

I have to say I am even more hyped now. Obviously just a very slight taste but seems to taste pretty good at the moment.

I wear glasses so I was able to test the fit. If ones fit in the Quest2, there should be no issue. Mine are fairly wide. The edges of my glasses just graze the facial shield. I could pull it off without the glasses coming off at the same time.

Last edited:

Romulus

I've watched about 20 hands-on previews by now and the overall consensus is we're getting a lot more than we can actually see from videos etc. The actual clarity and feel of the experience is a big step up and it can't really be conveyed. That's sort of the nature of VR.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm so hyped. I've been waiting for new vr for ages and this seems like the perfect upgrade for me to use for mobile and pc vr. Should be a massive jump over my old rift s.

Gonna order the bobovr 3 as soon as it pops up in the UK.

Codiox

thats all nice and all but what are the games?
where are the system sellers?

alyx is still the pinnacle of vr. where is the next gen big vr game that needs the quest 3?

i still got my quest 1 and want to upgrade really badly because i like new tech, but what can i play that will blow my socks off?

is it still only beat saber and some shitty cartoon games?

Top Bottom