• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica - 72 Seasons (out today)

Duellist

Metallica Inc. released a new product? Did they announce at one of their fashion galas?
OocHtaI.jpg

So edgy….

deathsaber

Honestly, I love this album, because its sounds like you would have naturally expected if they released something shortly after Black, but never really did.

We all know with Load/Reload, they were leaving thrash/metal aside chasing grunge/alt hard rock trends, with St Anger- some kind of misguided attempt at appealing nu-metal fans/hardcore kids, Death Magnetic and Hardwired were the band trying their best to prove they can make a Master of Puppets/Justice like album again, but just not meeting that challenge- they will never get the feeling again of being 20-somethings in the 80s making pioneering thrash metal.

72 seasons kind of just pulls in all of their experience- the sound is kind of black, but with dashes of the more experimental pre-black albums, and a little bit of Load-era bluesy-ness too. They are still a heavy band, but they aren't pushing it too hard anymore. They are just making a solid-post black- Metallica album and it feels more natural than it has in decades.

Teletraan1

Banned
It is ok. Not great. Was always a bigger fan of Slayer and Megadeth than Metallica in the 80s. My favorite Metallica album is probably Kill Em All. Gotta face it those days are gone and never coming back.

Thaedolus

God I just figured out how to turn off spatial audio/atmos on my AirPods and that certainly helped the production sound…so annoying having the audio pan any time I turned my head

Last edited:

Alebrije

A Meh..tallica album ... not bad just...Meh..
Nothing that could be included on a Greatest Hits album.

It happens to most of old bands, they delivered their best years or decades ago.

But its nice to get new songs even from an empty shell of current Meh..tallica.

Duellist

The version that doesn’t have the loudness issues is 100% better.

And listening to 72 Seasons again walking the dog today, it’s growing on me
Ya it’s definitely a grower album which is good. Those albums tend to have staying power.

The Fartist

Gold Member
I met Kirk Hammett once at a bar somewhere in Hayes Valley, San Francisco back in 2009 or 10, he was hitting on me and bought me a drink, I was pretty drunk and accepted the drink and then moved on to the next bar. Nice guy.

Joramun

I listened to most of the album but nothing really got me hyped.

Had to play Fade to Black to remind me how good they were lol

I'll give it another chance and see how it goes.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I listened to most of the album but nothing really got me hyped.

Had to play Fade to Black to remind me how good they were lol

I'll give it another chance and see how it goes.

Fade to Black took on a new meaning when I learned the song was about one of James' guitars that was stolen while on tour.

Oh, my God. I was wrong. Metallica was emo all along. James finally made a monkey of me.

giphy.gif

Joramun

Fade to Black took on a new meaning when I learned the song was about one of James' guitars that was stolen while on tour.

Oh, my God. I was wrong. Metallica was emo all along. James finally made a monkey of me.

giphy.gif
That's funny if true lol

Top Bottom