• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered |OT| Once More Through Tallon IV

Thanks for demonstrating those calling it just an upres are trolling on behalf of their favorite box that feels hurt for whatever reason since despite the plentiful footage and videos the extensive upgrades are obvious in for anyone who has seen these games before, they just keep repeating it anyway.
Yeah, it has lost its personality and now looks like a generic UE 4 game. How exciting!!

Kataploom

Gold Member
Finally can play with proper controls, hoping they release the other two.
We deserved a REMAKE for $50 CND. This is stupid as fuck.

It's 2023, we could have had BETTER AI, a GOOD FOV, just better everything. Making the game more like a modern game.

Taking this and thinking it's great, you're a joke.

This is why Nintendo gets away with this bullshit, because it's fanbois are so rabbid and loyal.
This got the same treatment as Demon Souls on PS5, just different machines, the same than Spyro and Crash remasters, Xenoblade, Dead Space etc. And it's not even full price... I don't know what else do some of you want... Nintendo don't "get away" with nothing because most people don't care about what you or I consider "appropriate"

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The graphics look really nice; seems to be more than just a port. But still, I remember paying 60 bucks for the whole trilogy on Wii back in the day, and now they want 40 for just the first game?
It does seem closer to a remake than a remaster, although it's sort of that middle ground where only the graphics are remade.

I do think they plan was originally to just do trilogy but when 4 got pushed back they scaled up on this. I think we'll see 2 and 3 but whether or not they get this same treatment probably depends on how it sells.

Kikorin

Damn that's awesome and unexpected, now I've just to decide if wait for the retail version. Also it looks so good, seems more of a remake than a remastered to me, but maybe I just remember it to looks worse from GameCube version.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, I noticed some visual incosistencies like that too. Some parts didn't get as much as attention as others it seems. Still looks gorgeous overall.
The morph ball has dynamic lighting lighting up the darker areas too :pie_eyeroll:

Oh and in the stream so far I've not noticed the doors taking too long to open or anything so that's nice too (but probably a duh despite the better visuals, streaming speeds are way higher than GC's disc drive now).

Gonna turn that off now though, don't want more splendor spoiled. Also that dude's an imbecile at times, Idk how one can know lots/be excited for stuff too and then at the same time be such a horrid player and get a TON of stuff wrong in some videos too. Reminds me of VGE, lol.

Last edited:

Variahunter

For the hesitant people here, it's a complete remake, I don't even understand Nintendo's logic calling it a remaster.
Complete graphic remake, 3d assets from environments, models, textures, effects and even more gorgeous artistic direction than the original.
I'm currently playing it and have a hard time restraining myself from taking pictures, because each new room is an incredible sight to behold.

I'm not exagerating here (of course if we remain on Switch), but even having a good pc with a 3080ti, it's really beautiful.
I guess the level design and corridor style of the game allowed them to really push the graphics here.

Most impressive game on switch, no doubt. Could pass for a PS4 game.

Kuranghi

Holy shit I'm loving this so much, its amazing.

The rain effect is different on the arm cannon depending on whether you're looking down, forward or straight up, it flows up or down or spots, super awesome attention to detail!

Worried about screen effects being missing? How about even better than the original, in terms of thoughtfulness anyway.

AngelMuffin

wtf that should have been for all three.
Buy Consume GIF by MOODMAN
Why, when they can sell you each for $39?

poodaddy

I know it's overpriced but I'm fuckin giving in and getting this one. I've waited too long on this, pretty fuckin hyped about this.

AngelMuffin

For the hesitant people here, it's a complete remake, I don't even understand Nintendo's logic calling it a remaster.
Complete graphic remake, 3d assets from environments, models, textures, effects and even more gorgeous artistic direction than the original.
I'm currently playing it and have a hard time restraining myself from taking pictures, because each new room is an incredible sight to behold.

I'm not exagerating here (of course if we remain on Switch), but even having a good pc with a 3080ti, it's really beautiful.
I guess the level design and corridor style of the game allowed them to really push the graphics here.

It’s not a compete remake ala Dead Space or Demon’s Souls but more than just a run of the mill remaster. Maybe closer to Shadow of the Colossus or Last of Us territory.

Last edited:

mnkl13

They gave us 3 3D Mario games in one. They're giving us both Baten Kaitos games in one. But only giving us one Prime game and not the trilogy.

I swear I don't get you Nintendo sometimes.

it's a remake just like last of us part1 remake but they call it remaster. and it's beautiful and at 60fps!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Rrr.. I would have gotten this had I not spent my funds this month on March preorders. I’d say I could play Trilogy on Wii U VC, but I want these sharp colors.

Kataploom

Gold Member

How's the resolution? I got a new 4K 43" TV and Smash and other 1080p games look sharp on it, but Xenoblade 2... Oh boy, gave me a headache...

Alexios

Likely for performance reasons. It would probably be too taxing on the hardware if every shot would cast its own lighting.
Seems like a concious decision to not have them light up at all since they could do it for charge shots only at least which would be one at a time always vs the morph ball's lighting being constant (so maybe it could at least be the muzzle flashes rather than the actual shots too, that'd be similar).

Last edited:

Melter

Just played it for a bit. it is a solid 60fps. Not just an HD emulation like sunshine/galaxy, looks like a native port of the game with upgraded visuals. New lighting, texture, and some geometry has been updated as well I believe.

Fantastic port so far just wish they included prime 2 as well.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It feels strange dusting off my Switch and being so immersed in a game on it again.

I have had dreams about this remake. This is bootyful.

Dear Nintendo,

I will probably go back to the hate part of my love/hate relationship with you AFTER playing only ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

giphy.gif

Buggy Loop

Buy digital now and succumb to the urge, even though i have a huge backlog..
Or wait a bit to buy physical, a better investment long term than even the stock market when these go out of production...

Think Little Man GIF by MOODMAN

TexMex

Can’t express how good this looks docked on my OLED. Not a simple uprez at all, they sold themselves short not talking about the upgrades here. The character models often redone, all the lighting and particle effects look significantly better, details in the environments, etc. I wouldn’t call it a remake but a remaster is greatly selling this short.

chaseroni

Only thing I'm disappointed in is they didn't make the beam blasts light up. Clearly they have dynamic lighting there with those enemies that are glowing and illuminate dark halls and corridors but they don't apply that to your shots or muzzle flash.

However, maybe that would be too distracting or completely change the dark mood they wanted for those areas because you don't have to worry about ammo in these games so you'd just light up the whole area by your shooting? I don't know 🤷‍♂️

Oh, also, the first organic sandy areas could have a bit more extensive overhaul in some of the assets, the first big tree looked pretty chunky still and the camera zoomed right in on that, when in other areas they've made other stuff much smoother...
1000% this.
I miss the beam blast lights, and some of the materials just look shiny/off...
For a switch game this feels like as good as we are gonna get for awhile. I hope they remake 2 with a switch pro in mind or something.
I dream of a very high fidelity remake, and this is a great update to a classic.

Overall this is a fuckin winner in my book, very happy for a new set of people to enjoy one of my favorite games of all time.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Holy shit, finally! Looks way better than original version. Can't wait to play @ 4K on PC. I just need to know one and very important thing... is it GameCube remaster for humans or Wii versions for aliens?

Bridges

Still have my GCN copy but never got around to finishing it. Dual stick controls might be enough for me to actually bite on this, those original controls never really clicked with me.

I'm curious though for anyone already playing this, does this version also include the option for wii-style pointer controls?

Alexios

The bottom is the remaster.
Ya, I saw that much, I'm not blind mate. Especially evident in the 2nd bottom!!1

Still have my GCN copy but never got around to finishing it. Dual stick controls might be enough for me to actually bite on this, those original controls never really clicked with me.

I'm curious though for anyone already playing this, does this version also include the option for wii-style pointer controls?
Yes. And a button mapped to quick recenter of calibration since joycons have drift for lack of sensor bar. Also hybrid controls that are like original GC + gyro freelook.

Some folks say it feels heavy/laggy with both of those but probably just a matter of needing to adjust to the scheme. Or maybe they will add more deadzone settings and what not from feedback, who knows (also option for gyro with twin stick controls as currently it's not there).

Last edited:
Top Bottom