• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered |OT| Once More Through Tallon IV

AngelMuffin

Can’t express how good this looks docked on my OLED. Not a simple uprez at all, they sold themselves short not talking about the upgrades here. The character models often redone, all the lighting and particle effects look significantly better, details in the environments, etc. I wouldn’t call it a remake but a remaster is greatly selling this short.
100% agree. Booted it up on my Switch OLED and was pretty wowed to be honest. Combined with the dual stick control scheme and I’m in heaven.

Pejo

Damn, looks pretty good. I'm not blown away, but it's a Switch port of an old game, so realistically it does the job.

Waiting for physical, but I'll definitely be picking this up.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Its like someone who hasnt eaten in 3 weeks eating a big mac and saying its as good as a prime wagyu steak. I get it, you have been starving and got thrown a bone, but come on man.
No, I have all the systems and play everything, I don't play silly brokedick fanboy games. Hi-Fi Rush is dope as fuck, and one of my favorite games of the last couple years. Genuinely a new classic. And not an indie game by any definition, it's every bit as AAA as Devil May Cry 5 or anything else in that genre. Don't sleep on it.

Not to downplay MP Remastered, I bought it and downloaded it looks great, but it's still a 21 year old game that we've all played.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is the best looking game on Switch. Retro Studios are wizards.
Come on, even with the upgrades to this one, technically the Switch has way more impressive stuff. The geometry complexity in Odyssey is well beyond any room I've seen so far even with way larger/more populated worlds and it's no slouch in the (shader and other) effects and polish either.

Of course subjectively aesthetically you may prefer this just as you could prefer a direct port without these upgrades if it was done, that's fine.

I'm sure Prime 4 can top this significantly if it has the right budget and the development hell phase has passed (or they haven't changed the plan with some Switch 2 making it crossgen and only 30fps instead of 60 on Switch which would be less impressive). But yes, it's a great and stylish game.

Last edited:

nkarafo

If you think about it, this is just a single generational jump in graphics. Original was on GameCube and the Switch is about the same as the PS3/360 graphics wise, though maybe a tiny bit better because of 1080p. It's also funny considering nowadays we start to get PS3/360 games themselves remastered (see Dead Space).

It's a missed opportunity to remaster a game like this on the weakest hardware available, considering the point of a remaster is to make games of the past look as good as modern games. It's going to age badly and need another remake pretty soon i bet.

Thankfully we should be able to maximize it's potential with emulation mods or something.

Yeah, i know, i'm complaining about MP getting remastered but hey.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Buy digital now and succumb to the urge, even though i have a huge backlog..
Or wait a bit to buy physical, a better investment long term than even the stock market when these go out of production...

Think Little Man GIF by MOODMAN
For God's sake have some willpower man!

This IS AMAZING! LOVING IT! Using the hybrid scheme which is a mix of classic and gyro aiming, it works really well! It feels really faithful to the OG Metroid Prime but more HD. This is my new golden standard for remasters! It doesn't have that cobbled together halfassed feeling of some other remasters out there

jigglet

Banned
Cool,
But,
$40 is steep, and why not the trilogy?

It annoys me when they don't do this.

Hell, even if they just release them all separately for $40 each, fuck it why not. Cause we're going to have this game now on its own and never revisit the sequels....

...just like how we'll never see Galaxy 2 after they re-released Galaxy 1 by itself. And one day when MG2 comes it'll be hugely upgraded and we won't have the duo with a consistent tech experience.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

dammit this is dumb but this is good, my GameCube and Wii don’t output to HDMI and it’s…good…it looks great…worth $40 but come on give us the trilogy you fucks

jigglet

Banned
In a lot of old art Samus' suit from the back has a butt crack. Not sure why.

It's purely functional. If you're in space and you have an itch, the closer the suit is to the skin the better. You can't just remove the suit or you die. It's a matter of life and death, is what I'm saying.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's purely functional. If you're in space and you have an itch, the closer the suit is to the skin the better. You can't just remove the suit or you die. It's a matter of life and death, is what I'm saying.
Hopefully there's a port you can poke a coat hanger through. Like when you wear a cast on a broken leg.

Jennings

I just played through the Metroid Prime Trilogy again a few years ago when Nintendo put the trilogy up on the eShop for ten bucks. Too bad its so fresh in my mind or I would jump on this. Wonderful series.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I love these threads. The amount of folks that sleep on these games is hilarious to me. Probably the same folks that poopoo Zelda.

I get it…you’re 19 and haven’t played 90% of them but this is the WRONG place to complain about Metroid, Zelda, and in most cases Nintendo in general.

It’s ok to be young and wrong…you’ll mature and in that time I hope you get to develop some gaming culture.

You can buy some today for $40 bucks via the Nintendo eshop

I’ll see myself out…I have clouds to yell at

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
I beat the game a couple of months ago playing on PC at 4K with a better texture mod and mouse + keyboard and it was awesome. Not sure I'll get this but it does look good.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Came to post this, this is an amazing work, as soon as I get some funds I'll be buying this one, I hope some patches get released by then if it needs it, I think twin stick doesn't have gyro option, well, there they got some homework

flying_sq

I'm actually going to wait for a DF comparison or something, because I feel like this isn't going to be much of an upgrade. Unless they overhauled the textures, just use dolphin.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm actually going to wait for a DF comparison or something, because I feel like this isn't going to be much of an upgrade. Unless they overhauled the textures, just use dolphin.
Take a look a this early tech analysis:

They remade models, textures, lighting, added different controller options (now standard twin stick are default), etc... This is not an upresed ISO, this is a complete graphical remake like Demon Souls, Spyro, Crash trilogies, TLOU Part I, etc.

flying_sq

Take a look a this early tech analysis:

They remade models, textures, lighting, added different controller options (now standard twin stick are default), etc... This is not an upresed ISO, this is a complete graphical remake like Demon Souls, Spyro, Crash trilogies, TLOU Part I, etc.
I checked that out, I'm actually shocked they did that much to it, I figured Nintendo would just dump the Wii U ports on Switch.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I checked that out, I'm actually shocked they did that much to it, I figured Nintendo would just dump the Wii U ports on Switch.
I wouldn't complain if they did and gave us the trilogy, I normally prefer direct ports with QOL, IQ, controls and framerate improvements, but stuff like these make me wish all exhancements worked this well, I even think it's a great value for the price, I say it because I hated how they ruined WW with the HD remaster, too much bloom that made it look worst than the original emulated.

Top Bottom