• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

There was a slight mention of the CPU: Intel Atom ARM not out on the market

That's all we know so far although I think that was referencing another tablet.

The one at the conference might be an i5, which would correlate to the rumored quad-core tablet giveaway announcement.

mclaren777

irfan said:
builddeveloperslate.jpg
Any idea how much that Samsung tablet might cost? It has to be around $800, right?

clav

Windows 8 can run on an Atom processor with 1GB of RAM.

Impressive. XP legacy hardware support continued.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
claviertekky said:
Windows 8 can run on an Atom processor with 1GB of RAM.

Impressive. XP legacy hardware support continued.

Yeah, that pretty amazing. And it uses pretty much half the memory of W7.

artist

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Wow! Why would anybody choose that over an ultrabook?
Its for developers. You need decent specs to code, debug and all that jazz.

I believe in VS you can select the target PC base specs and also see how the performance of your app scales down.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
mclaren777 said:

Depends on what you're using it for. My Asus Slate was $1000 but I need the power for running graphics and music applications.

mclaren777 said:
Because it has the same hardware specs (i5 CPU, 4GB RAM), a 64GB SSD and you can use it with a mouse+keyboard, pen and the touchscreen. Doesn't sound too bad, imo. "Ultrabooks" are just a different class of devices.

ShdwDrake

Banned
On a desktop would you be able to make the "classic" experience the default? Like it comes up on boot without having to launch the app?

most current tablet like that is the EP121 Which is 1099 (4gb 1st Gen i5 64ssd) It also has a 12" wacom (cintque style, it actually uses wacom tech) underneath the screen(i own this btw). Will load the preview build tomorrow will post videos for people.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
ShdwDrake said:
On a desktop would you be able to make the "classic" experience the default? Like it comes up on boot without having to launch the app?

I imagine there will be an option somewhere for that

StudioTan said:
Depends on what you're using it for. My Asus Slate was $1000 but I need the power for running graphics and music applications.
are you going to be able to spare your tablet for a couple of days to try the preview build. I think im going to just image my current drive and switch to the preview on mine.

JBuccCP

One thing I wish they had shown was some multitouch trackpad support. The ultrabooks were begging for it. Two finger swipe to scroll, three finger swipe to bring up the side menus. Good multitouch support will make metro much more usable with a non-tablet.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Krauser Kat said:
most current tablet like that is the EP121 Which is 1099 (4gb 1st Gen i5 64ssd) It also has a 12" wacom (cintque style, it actually uses wacom tech) underneath the screen(i own this btw). Will load the preview build tomorrow will post videos for people.

I was planning to do the same tonight but I don't have an external DVD drive. Do you know if you can install it from a thumb drive?

clav

Xbox Live is here for Day 3 (9/15).

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/PLAT-756T

Xbox LIVE, Microsoft's premier entertainment service, is coming to Windows 8. Whether you are developing a game or another kind of entertainment app for Windows 8, Xbox LIVE can help your app stand out in the crowd and help engage and delight users. You will learn about how to implement our well-loved features like Achievements, Multiplayer, Avatars and Community and brand new ones like roaming storage and profiles.

StudioTan said:
I was planning to do the same tonight but I don't have an external DVD drive. Do you know if you can install it from a thumb drive?
I know you can thumb drive it. Which is kind of stupid considering they only gave us windows on a dvd when it shipped with no drive. I have an external dvd drive though. I might usb it anyway.

So about the 0% royalty thing. What they are just having all of your purchased games go into the cloud ala Amazon Cloud Service where you buy it and free downloads for life. If you reach your max you might have to start paying 5 dollars a month or just have xbox live for unlimited games space?

StudioTan

brotkasten said:
Should be possible. You can install W7 from USB.

Yeah but on the EP121 specifically when I try to boot with a USB stick in the slot it won't even boot into Windows. It just says "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart."

Raistlin

claviertekky said:
I doubt this release of Windows 8 is compatible with Windows Home Server 2003, so looks like I'll have to stop backing up for a while.

Yes, I can VM, but it's just not the same. xzibit would be proud though.
Thumbdrive?

clav

Raistlin said:
Thumbdrive?
I'll partition and dual boot.

Backing up my desktop at the moment via Windows Home Server 2003.

Before that though, installing Windows updates for Patch Tuesday.

Raistlin

Marty Chinn said:
Any info on what the sepcs are of that Samsung tablet?

Booooo on 16:9 though.
For Win8 though ... it's optimal since the design has the expectation of side-by-side apps.

claviertekky said:
I'll partition and dual boot.

Backing up my desktop at the moment via Windows Home Server 2003.
Yeah ... looks like Win8 will finally force my hand to use WHS'11 (or 2008 in your nomenclature).

I plan to mess around with it on one of my servers over the winder. See if the loss of DE really matters all that much.

Jadedx

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
So does anyone have a list/rundown of all the features announced? I didn't get to watch all the conference.
Here are some from engadget.

All Windows 7 applications will run natively on Windows 8
• Security update notifications have been minimized to the lower right of the log-in screen
• Refreshed Windows Task Manager suspends apps when they're not running on-screen
• New "Reset and Refresh PC" functions enable simplified system wipe and restore
• HyperV virtualization software comes pre-loaded on Windows 8
• Multi-monitor support now enables a single background across screens, as well as monitor-specific task bars
• Multi-touch support enabled for Internet Explorer 10
• Magnifier function enhanced for desktop manipulation
• Optional thumb-by-thumb input mode
• SkyDrive storage support integrated into all cloud-based apps
• Metro-style refresh for Mail, Photos, Calender and People apps with Windows Live ID
• Settings roam allows for preferences to sync across a user's Windows 8 devices
• Continued update support for Windows 8 Developer Preview Beta
• Even a Lenovo S10 (first-gen Atom + 1GB of RAM) can "run" Windows 8
• There's "no overlays" with Windows 8; Metro-style goodness is baked into the core
• Both Metro-style and conventional Win32 apps will be sold in the Windows Store
• Windows 8 devices equipped with an NFC chip will be able to use a tap-to-share feature to either send content from one device to another, or simply receive content from something like an NFC-equipped card.
• Logins will use a photo-based system
• Apps will be able to natively connect and understand one another (if written as such)
• Built-in antivirus software will ship in Windows 8
• There will not be a different edition of Windows 8 for tablets, and presumably, not for Media Centers either
• It's unclear how many "editions" (Home, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) of Windows 8 there will be
• ARM devices will be supported, but not in the developer preview

JaggedSac said:
Awesome. Question now is whether or not any and every developer can access these things:

Or just devs that have deals with MS, ala XBLA.
Of course you'll have to develop an XBL title to access those things. It's part of the service.

Raistlin

For people going the ARM tablet route, I think 2013 will be the sweet spot.

While Kal-El+ will be hitting next year, the 28mm shift for Wayne (plus a bit of time for SP1) will make it a prime candidate for tablets.

Plus Grey will be out for phones (WP 7.9/8 or whatever is out by then). Should be an epic pairing.

Cromat

I must say as someone who never had the chance to mess with a WP7 phone, the Metro UI looks stunning.

Super clean, looks futuristic, inviting and fresh. I wonder how it works on computers without a touch screen though...

Microsoft's offerings in OS, Mobile and gaming have really stepped up these couple of years. Windows 7 is great and 8 looks to be much better. Windows Phone 7 hasn't quite matured yet but it shows a lot of promise. Xbox 360 is great, I even like Office 2010.

I think it can be said that the company is now moving in the right direction.

Vestal

Gold Member
Cromat said:
I must say as someone who never had the chance to mess with a WP7 phone, the Metro UI looks stunning.

Super clean, looks futuristic, inviting and fresh. I wonder how it works on computers without a touch screen though...

Microsoft's offerings in OS, Mobile and gaming have really stepped up these couple of years. Windows 7 is great and 8 looks to be much better. Windows Phone 7 hasn't quite matured yet but it shows a lot of promise. Xbox 360 is great, I even like Office 2010.

I think it can be said that the company is now moving in the right direction.

Windows Phone 7 running the Mango update(should be available in a few days) is the best Phone OS i have ever used. It is perfect.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i just hope Microsoft has fixed their home networking/sharing interface

it can be so stupidly difficult to share a folder when it look so easy... but it rarely works.

they need to revamp that area so badly.

MrHicks

Banned
OSX looks kinda bland after watching this

that all encompassing metallic/grey look
the recent grayscale itunes

i don't understand Apple and their war on color
WIN7/8 are so colorful in comparison

OSX vs Windows
there can only be one winner.....the consumer

kehs

Banned
I'm gonna attempt to put the build on my cr48 and my asus h1000.

Should be interesting since my asus has a crappy touch screen.

MrHicks said:
OSX looks kinda bland after watching this

that all encompassing metallic/grey look
the recent grayscale itunes

i don't understand Apple and their war on color
WIN7/8 are so colorful in comparison

OSX vs Windows
there can only be one winner.....the consumer
To be honest, I hated the W8 start screen when they demoed it in July. Too many colors, especially with the Metro UI, that usually focuses on typography.

Copernicus said:
I'm gonna attempt to put the build on my cr48 and my asus h1000.

Should be interesting since my asus has a crappy touch screen.
So you have two netbooks and one of them has a (after market?) touchscreen? Can't wait for your review. :D

brotkasten said:
To be honest, I hated the W8 start screen when they demoed it in July. Too many colors, especially with the Metro UI, that usually focuses on typography.

i was not sure about it back then. but i love it now with the default green background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom