• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Copernicus said:
I'm gonna attempt to put the build on my cr48 and my asus h1000.

Should be interesting since my asus has a crappy touch screen.

I'd love to on my CR-48... but I'm not sure if it would run like ass and if I'd have any space to do anything. Plus I'd have to crack the CR-48 open and I don't want to fuck it up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I know it's more efficient but I hope it feels more efficient.

ymmv

Banned
DopeyFish said:
i just hope Microsoft has fixed their home networking/sharing interface

it can be so stupidly difficult to share a folder when it look so easy... but it rarely works.

they need to revamp that area so badly.

The networking section in Windows 7 is unnecessarily complicated. I'm still looking all over the place for the simplest things when I want to change something.

Another thing I never liked about any Windows was the Search feature, because it usually didn't find anything I was looking for. In fact, I usually turned it off after a while because the Search Indexing Service was making my PC slower. Totally useless feature.

And then there's the messy Control Panel where you're every function has a different UI. It's gotten worse with every new Windows version.

There's still lots of things to be fixed in Windows 7. I just don't think that a switch to Metro is the solution. I want a desktop OS, not a tablet OS with Windows bolted to it. I shudder to think how Metro's going to look on a 30" monitor...

Zombie James said:
Anything interesting here? Can barely make anything out, even in the high-res shot.
First time I saw this photo, I thought it was some kind of joke on blue screens. Then I read the text and it was less funny.

Bboy AJ said:
I know it's more efficient but I hope it feels more efficient.
It should feel better. Everything is finally hardware accelerated.

ymmv said:
The networking section in Windows 7 is unnecessarily complicated. I'm still looking all over the place for the simplest things when I want to change something.

Another thing I never liked about any Windows was the Search feature, because it usually didn't find anything I was looking for. In fact, I usually turned it off after a while because the Search Indexing Service was making my PC slower. Totally useless feature.

And then there's the messy Control Panel where you're every function has a different UI. It's gotten worse with every new Windows version.

There's still lots of things to be fixed in Windows 7. I just don't think that a switch to Metro is the solution. I want a desktop OS, not a tablet OS with Windows bolted to it. I shudder to think how Metro's going to look on a 30" monitor...
Search is a great and fast app launcher for everything you don't have in the taskbar.

kehs

Banned
brotkasten said:
So you have two netbooks and one of them has a (after market?) touchscreen? Can't wait for your review. :D

Yup, I think I had it two days before I jammed a shitty touchscreen in there (resistive lol).

Brettison said:
I'd love to on my CR-48... but I'm not sure if it would run like ass and if I'd have any space to do anything. Plus I'd have to crack the CR-48 open and I don't want to fuck it up.

It's ridiculously easy to do, it literally took like 30 minutes to go from Chrome OS to Windows 7 first boot. (I had chrome OS on there for about a day,)

Hey folks.

Really nice to see this finally out in the open :). My team here (Visual Studio Debugger) has been involved with lots of the Win 8 stuff all hush, hush for quite a while. It's exciting to start to finally be able to show it off a bit.

I liked the presentation as well, but the snafus were really painful for us, if par for the course for a Microsoft press conf. In the room where we were all watching all the devs were groaning when they would have a UX hiccup or WiFi fail.

Vestal

Gold Member
TheFightingFish said:
Hey folks.

Really nice to see this finally out in the open :). My team here (Visual Studio Debugger) has been involved with lots of the Win 8 stuff all hush, hush for quite a while. It's exciting to start to finally be able to show it off a bit.

I liked the presentation as well, but the snafus were really painful for us, if par for the course for a Microsoft press conf. In the room where we were all watching all the devs were groaning when they would have a UX hiccup or WiFi fail.

Visual Studio Debugger, my favorite team when Developing.. hehehe

Mr_Zombie

I hope that one of those "things" is the ability to add tabs in Windows Explorer (something like QTTabBar). It's a more useful feature than an "up" button. One window with several tabs > several windows.

TheFightingFish said:
My team here (Visual Studio Debugger)

I love you guys <3

clav

wwm0nkey said:
how big should I make my new partition for this?
I'm taking a risk here as on Twitter, the windevs people say that dual boot is not supported, so if I lose everything, I already have it backed up.

I left 100 GB.

ymmv

Banned
brotkasten said:
First time I saw this photo, I thought it was some kind of joke on blue screens. Then I read the text and it was less funny.

It should feel better. Everything is finally hardware accelerated.

Search is a great and fast app launcher for everything you don't have in the taskbar.

You need the search feature in the Start Menu because the "All Programs" menu has become unusable since Vista, because there's only a cramped small rectangle in which you can see all your program icons. It's quicker to type a few letters than to look for a program in "All Programs" because it's become so tiresome to find a program and keep everything organized (especially since there are two different Start Menus to organize, one for the Current User and for All Users). It was quite manageable until XP though, but the Vista UI/Windows 7 Start Menu made the whole thing pointless.

wwm0nkey

claviertekky said:
I'm taking a risk here as on Twitter, the devwin people say that dual boot is not supported, so if I lose everything, I already have it backed up.

I left 100 GB.
hmmm well if someone attempts to dual boot and it works tell me.

Nvidia announced the Windows 8 developer program.

NVIDIA Helps Transform the PC with Windows 8 Developer Program
ANAHEIM, Calif.-Sept. 13, 2011-NVIDIA announced today its Windows 8 Developer Program to provide developers with tools and resources for building applications for the hundreds of millions of ARM and x86- based devices that will take advantage of Microsoft’s operating system, Windows 8.
All four NVIDIA® processor brands will support Windows 8. NVIDIA’s next-generation, quad-core Tegra® processor, code-named Project Kal-El, is an ARM-based system on a chip that will power lightweight, energy-efficient tablets and notebooks. NVIDIA will also support Windows 8 on x86 systems with its GeForce® GPUs, which deliver the best gaming experience; Quadro® GPUs, the leading graphics solution for film-makers and other professional workstation users; and Tesla® GPUs, which provide breakthrough performance for scientific research, data centers, and high performance computing.
"With its elegant user interface and support for tablets and notebooks using ARM-based processors, Windows 8 will bring a seismic shift to the industry," said Jeff Fisher, senior vice president of the PC Business Unit at NVIDIA. "Our expertise in both ARM and x86 environments, and our intimate familiarity with the Windows code base, makes us uniquely qualified to support Windows 8 developers."
With more than 15 years of experience supporting Microsoft Corp. and the Windows operating system, NVIDIA has created robust tools, utilities, samples and SDKs specifically designed to assist developers in creating applications that shine on Windows. The Windows 8 Developer Program will provide developers with support and resources for software designed to run on ARM and x86-based solutions, along with access to the latest news, training and education.
"We’re incredibly excited about the innovation that NVIDIA is bringing to Windows 8 PCs with their ARM processors, and how this will help reshape the PC industry in ways we’re only starting to see," said Mike Angiulo, corporate vice president of Windows planning, hardware and PC ecosystem at Microsoft. "Developers are at the forefront of this transition. Microsoft values NVIDIA’s leadership in providing tools to the community."
Tim Sweeney, the founder of Epic Games, said, "For over a decade, Epic and NVIDIA have worked closely together to ensure that Unreal Engine takes advantage of state-of-the-art GPU technologies. From the incredible DirectX 11 and PhysX effects in Epic’s Samaritan demo to the eye-popping 3D Vision experience in Bulletstorm, our engineers have always enjoyed collaborating with NVIDIA. NVIDIA’s developer support is the gold standard for chip makers. We’re excited by the announcement of their developer program and look forward to a continued partnership and to making the best games on the planet."
Developers can register for the NVIDIA Windows 8 Developer Program by going to http://developer.nvidia.com/windows-8 or by visiting the NVIDIA booth at the Microsoft BUILD conference in Anaheim, Calif. Those attending the BUILD conference are invited to visit the NVIDIA booth to see DirectX, DirectCompute, Parallel Computing and HTML5 resources.

Copernicus said:
Yup, I think I had it two days before I jammed a shitty touchscreen in there (resistive lol).

Now you need to pray that Windows will recognize the touchscreen as a touch device. ;)

Vestal

Gold Member
Weenerz said:
I'll make a 100gb partition as well, so are we able to dual boot? Probably asked already.

I would go out on a limb and say yes.. once we get more details Ill update the Dev Preview OT.

Blackhead

Redarse
brotkasten said:
To be honest, I hated the W8 start screen when they demoed it in July. Too many colors, especially with the Metro UI, that usually focuses on typography.
I'll be grouping the tiles by color and using semantic zoom hehe. The apps seem to have the proper Metro UI color balance though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How would dual boot not be supported? IDK... maybe regular windows dual boot... but I see no reason GRUB shouldn't be able to boot this... call me crazy...

clav

Brettison said:
How would dual boot not be supported? IDK... maybe regular windows dual boot... but I see no reason GRUB shouldn't be able to boot this... call me crazy...
I have no idea either.

Just took precautionary steps.

I guess the windevs are reinforcing the idea that Windows 8 is not supported when it comes to failure.

JaggedSac

brotkasten said:
Of course you'll have to develop an XBL title to access those things. It's part of the service.

Obviously, but I am wondering if it is like developing for XBLIG. You don't have access to leaderboards or achievements and such.

Awwww yeah.
longzheng: High DPI screens are coming. "App graphics assets should be provided in 3 sizes (100, 140, 180%) to be HD ready in Windows 8." #bldwin

And it gets better.

6144796660_746ee29ce2.jpg

Microsoft may have blew the lids off Windows 8 in the first BUILD 2011 keynote but you can only fit so much in a 2 hour presentation, no matter how enthusiastic Steven Sinofsky can be.

Near the end of the keynote, the presentation included a slide with hundreds of features that Microsoft claim they “didn’t get to show”. At normal scale, it was a little difficult to comprehend, but with the magic of magnification it reveals a few nuggets.

Here are some of the most interesting ones I could comprehend from the text.
  • Integrated load balancing – if you have multiple active network connections, Windows 8 will intelligently balance the network traffic between them for performance
  • Stereo 3D video and gaming – would suggest native support for stereoscopic display output too
  • Easy discover apps that support a language – would suggest Windows Store will allow browsing by language
  • Filter apps that are accessible – similar to above, for applications that are accessible
  • Start background – there will be the ability to change the Start background (not possible in developer preview)
  • Create Live ID in Windows OOBE – users without Live IDs will be able to create one at the Windows setup
    [*] Phone as Smartcard – the ability to use Windows Phone as an authenticator for login?
    [*] Communication over SMS on my PC – the ability to send and receive SMSes?
  • Native support for WIMAX and LTE
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20110914/short-some-of-what-microsoft-didnt-show-of-windows-8/

Raistlin

xbulletholes said:
man oh man how high is resolution going to get? my poor, terrible eyesight!
I believe that's mostly for scaling between tablet and common desktop resolutions. Not that it necessarily implies super high-res tablets.

Raistlin said:
I believe that's mostly for scaling between tablet and common desktop resolutions. Not that it necessarily implies super high-res tablets.
But I want my super high res 4:3 Win8 tablet. :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
Dude thats hardcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom