• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelfly

As someone who left Windows during the XP days I think I'll try the development version on my laptop once they release. All that application building stuff looked really interesting.

Totakeke

Okay guys here you go.

Urv7Z.png

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/windows8/build-day-keynote-live-blog-140551

Raistlin

JaggedSac said:
Well, everyone who has a Live account gets 25gb of free space on SkyDrive and they are using it heavily for photos, documents, and video storage in both W8 and WP. That bandwidth(for free services) probably eclipses what patches and updates will cause. Yuo probably also have to pay some money to be able to upload apps. The cost of that will most certainly be lower than royalty costs.
Actually it's better than that. Earlier this week they announced that documents and photos do NOT count towards your total. They are unlimited ala Amazon music bought from the store directly to your Cloud Drive.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
irfan said:
Skydrive is going unlimited (for photos and MS Office files). Other files upto 25GB.

All for FREE.
Eh basically not a big deal then if it's only photos and office files. If it was anything then I'd be like omfg spooge.

Whogie

I'm pumped!
Can't wait to try out the preview build tonight :D
(Then I can just show people on my laptop instead of trying to explain it)

artist

Banned
Brettison said:
Eh basically not a big deal then if it's only photos and office files. If it was anything then I'd be like omfg spooge.
Actually, have people tried renaming their files to .xls and trying? I know they probably have checks in place but have anyone actually tried it?

This is going to be a fantastic OS for an HTPC. I hope the Metro home screen is extremely customizable. As in, you get to choose what exactly you see there. And I hope there is a nice integration between Windows Media Center and the Metro home.

MThanded said:
too bad there is no ARM build for download. Would love to see it ported to an existing tablet.

Edit: did they just play eminem for a hot second?

ARM builds would depend on the target chipset, no?

KtSlime

Jadedx said:
Why would they want to make it easier for devs to port to unix based systems? They hate unix.

That sentence was in regard to porting pre-existing Unix software to Windows Server. And don't you think it is stupid for them to hate Unix?

- They should stop supporting C while they are at it because that is also a technology that came from Unix - see, silly. POSIX support can only help them.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Couldn't have asked for more from the presentation.

Can't wait to try out the dev build!

leadbelly

Banned
alphaNoid said:
GFWL has been 100% free on Windows for a very long time, but you were going for knee jerk reaction instead?

It's not GFWL I'm speaking about, it's Xbox live integration, but you can pretend that's what I meant if you like. :p

It was also said tongue-in-cheek. Nvm

Jadedx

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
That sentence was in regard to porting pre-existing Unix software to Windows Server. And don't you think it is stupid for them to hate Unix?

- They should stop supporting C while they are at it because that is also a technology that came from Unix - see, silly. POSIX support can only help them.
No I don't think it is silly for them to hate unix, most unix based operating systems infringe on hundreds of their patents and since unix/linux is open source they can't sue. Me and my cts 1106 unix professor had me right a paper on this the semester before last.

clav

I doubt this release of Windows 8 is compatible with Windows Home Server 2003, so looks like I'll have to stop backing up for a while.

Yes, I can VM, but it's just not the same. xzibit would be proud though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom