• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat One Officially Announced (Coming September 19)

Deerock71

Might as well release it on PS4/XBONE too if a Switch version is coming.
hail GIF

Brigandier

Pre order to receive a main character from the past 30 years.... How about fuck off?.

Hopefully they invest more of that budget in animations than just graphics and fatalities.

I'm interested to see how Cage and the others work in this game, since it appears to take place centuries in the past and not in the present
Exactly. Now imagine they selling "Kameos"(assist) and chars.
Will not be coerent. Maybe that portal Shang Tsung opened drop chars from the past series.

Johnny Cage and JCVD costume was a letdown for me. I just wanted a game like the trailer.

Unfortunately, with those "Kameos" will be a mess, and that was created for $$$. Why just don't choose the assist on the main base as EVERY game. This feels like Arcana Heart.

I cant even imagine how they will handle and balance 2 rosters. Man...Im seriously worried.

No. The animation will never look as nice as the Japanese games. The models and environments usually look gorgeous tho. And the facial animation is always incredible. Injustice 2 in particular has facial motion capture rivaling Naughty Dog.

Its by purpose. They have money to do 10x times better animations than Tekken.

Second time i said this here: Identity.

simpatico

I don't know what it would take to get me back into fighting games. I think just being an old man now and not having buddies over after school to fight with. I hope this is a really lean reboot. Needs to have a limited roster of classic characters and it's gotta do something cool with the look. Like shooting for photo realism type of look. The past few MK games have a really weird plasticy thing going on. I've picked them up deeply discounted and just can't get my hooks in.

Is it just me or does the whole presentation feel uninspired? Maybe it's because I'm not a big MK fan.
Eh, I kinda feel the same way. There seems to be some directive to overdesign the shit out everything in the past several MK games. Look at how overboard they’ve gone with the fatalities. There’s a lot of thought that can be put into simple and focused designs.

DavidGzz

I just realized that was Liu Kang. Portraying him as much more badass than the vibes you get from the original game. A god is right.

Its by purpose. They have money to do 10x times better animations than Tekken.

Second time i said this here: Identity.

Namco have 10x times the money to make better graphics, always using the newest UE but why put that effort in. Identity, we want our game to look a generation behind especially when a new Tekken comes out once in 6 years.

I actually wonder what or how the story will be rebooted. To be honest I expected more. The outfits, the shown characters...we have seen this before. Scorpion and Sub-Zero have absolutely the same outfit but color swap (like back in the day but we dont need that now). Even scorpions mask doesnt seem new. I thought it was going to be a reimagining. Meleena and Kitana look exactly the same too. Past MKs we got tottally different looks for each character with hints to the past.

UNLESS this teaser is showing how the game would begin and that eclipse will change the whole world and THEN we get the reimagined MK. Just spit balling here.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I’m definitely buying this, but I’m disappointed they never done an Injustice 3 or something completely new and then make this game after. Took much MK in a relatively short amount of time. Especially since we got current gen ports of MK11.

[Sigma]

I'll get hype when I see some gameplay. NetherRealms are going to have to show me. It sounds interesting though.

bender

What time is it?
MK9 was such a wonderful reboot and a really fun single player experience and something they could replicate with the follow-up efforts. I hope this is a return to form but I fear the monetization schemes will prevent that from happening.

Namco have 10x times the money to make better graphics, always using the newest UE but why put that effort in. Identity, we want our game to look a generation behind especially when a new Tekken comes out once in 6 years.

Its mk man. Its their style...
I cant imagine a mk game with Tekken animations.

Ps: Tekken is just an example of good animations, dont need to use this as an argument to comparison.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Its mk man. Its their style...
I cant imagine a mk game with Tekken animations.

Ps: Tekken is just an example of good animations, dont need to use this as an argument to comparison.
Disclaimer: I am taking no side on this as I enjoy both types of animation and art styles.

What the anime purists are complaining about is that Mk doesn’t feature the animation work of something like SF, GG and other Japanese developed 2d fighting games, or rather their style.

Sure, I can agree with that but those games also don’t do the whole photorealism look so it’s hard to judge.

The posted gif is not rly fair since mk11 improved quite a lot from mkx so there is also that and I’m sure this one will also be a step up.
How about we enjoy both styles? Just saying

Last edited:

Barlow

Amazon leaked Kombat Pack 1
6 playable characters (Quan Chi, Omni Man, Ermac, Peacemaker, Takeda, Homelander)
5 kameo characters (Tremor, Johnny Cage, Khameleon, Mavado, Ferra) - Skin by Jean Claude Van Damme

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The gore in the fatalities is what makes them Mortal Kombat, but i'd be fine if they shortened them up.

The fatalities in MK2 were awesome, but were like 2-4 seconds max lol. The ones in the recent games i think can sometimes be too long.

acidagfc

6 playable characters (Quan Chi, Omni Man, Ermac, Peacemaker, Takeda, Homelander)
5 kameo characters (Tremor, Johnny Cage, Khameleon, Mavado, Ferra) - Skin by Jean Claude Van Damme
If true - meh. 2 of the guest characters are pretty much the same, third one is the same but stupider.

Mr Branding

The gore in the fatalities is what makes them Mortal Kombat, but i'd be fine if they shortened them up.

The fatalities in MK2 were awesome, but were like 2-4 seconds max lol. The ones in the recent games i think can sometimes be too long.
True. Can also be said about supers/xrays/whatever they call them

Fermbiz

Gold Member

God i hope this is false...

Kusarigama

Source? Strange seeing Cage as a Kameo

Top Bottom