• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat One Officially Announced (Coming September 19)

xiskza

Another damn reboot

Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

I'm not sure I understand how it can run on the Switch but can't run on PS4 or Xbox one.

Those old machines still have a huge user base, so it makes no sense from a financial perspective to ignore them while porting to a console significantly weaker than even they are.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm not sure I understand how it can run on the Switch but can't run on PS4 or Xbox one.

Those old machines still have a huge user base, so it makes no sense from a financial perspective to ignore them while porting to a console significantly weaker than even they are.

PS5 will have been out for nearly 3 years when this comes out; its time to move on. Switch will either be a novelty port like Witcher 3 or a Cloud version; its not really comparable to anything else.

Kusarigama

It's not about how powerful hardware is but how many active users are going to purchase the product. Even with fraction of install base of PS5 as compared to PS4, PS5 version outsells PS4 version by almost 7:3 ratio. That gap is only going to widen. And a lot of cutbacks were made on the switch port of MK11 as well. Just imagine what the challenges and cutbacks this will present.

Maybe a cloud version?

CamHostage

It's not about how powerful hardware is but how many active users are going to purchase the product. Even with fraction of install base of PS5 as compared to PS4, PS5 version outsells PS4 version by almost 7:3 ratio. That gap is only going to widen. And a lot of cutbacks were made on the switch port of MK11 as well. Just imagine what the challenges and cutbacks this will present.

It's also an online game with ongoing content purchasing infrastructure, which has to be maintained and tested across multiple platforms for the lifespan of the product.

For PS5/Xbox Series, that's the full run of MK1, ideally for several years. For Nintendo Switch, that's at least the first full year with its active buyer base, hopefullymore as the Switch successor comes out (unknown if they'd do a native version or rely on the audience picking it up as BC for "Switch 2", but better to have it available than not; also they might be able up upsell those Switch 1 users to Switch 2 version of MK1 if Nintendo introduces an upgrade program, or just if MK1 is such a success that people want to carry on.) For PS4/X1, that's already a dwindled audience, the most active/lucrative of which have upgraded to PS5/XBSeries and will play there, so you get maybe a decent Christmas out of the old-timers? How many more patches do you pay for before pulling the network down from the past-gen line.

We've been seeing a few of these cases where games are dropping their past-gen versions (particularly where they have online dependencies) even though they see fairly capable of running on old hardware; a couple even have Switch releases to go with it, or get Switch versions later. (The interesting one for me is Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown, which canceled its PS4/X1 versions to focus on current-gen but still has a Switch version planned.) MK1 is an extreme case where it would seem there's still juice to squeeze out of the old hardware, but if it starts costing more in the long run, it's not worth it.

Where there's a will, there's a way with porting, but there's no will if it doesn't make money.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Maybe a cloud version?

Switch version won't be cloud. You don't need a port studio (two port studios, in this case,) to stream a game from the cloud.

(Also, they're taking it to retail. Technically, they could sell a cloud edition as a digital redemption, but generally it's not done that way.)

...Come on, guys, I know it's easy to see the "5" without a "4" on the PlayStation category and believe a game must be next-gen'ed to the max, but even if that will be the case, there are ways of porting a 1-on-1 fighter down to lesser hardware.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Livestream "chat" was literally like 5 minutes lol.....only real big bit of info revealed is Ed said that this new game is NOT a continuation of the MK11 storyline, it is brand new. They are bringing the Kombat Kasts back, and they have a ton of information to reveal to us over time in a huge campaign.

MiguelItUp

what is up with dumb names in recent times? first battlefield 1 and now this lol.
Battlefield 1 made sense because it revolved around WW1, I guess that was them attempting to be creative, lol. With this, at least calling it Mortal Kombat 1 makes it easier to differentiate other than just calling it "Mortal Kombat" which they've already done with MK9. 2 is enough "Mortal Kombat" titles, lol.

Disclaimer: I am taking no side on this as I enjoy both types of animation and art styles.

What the anime purists are complaining about is that Mk doesn’t feature the animation work of something like SF, GG and other Japanese developed 2d fighting games, or rather their style.

Sure, I can agree with that but those games also don’t do the whole photorealism look so it’s hard to judge.

The posted gif is not rly fair since mk11 improved quite a lot from mkx so there is also that and I’m sure this one will also be a step up.
How about we enjoy both styles? Just saying
Agree, mk11 improved on their style.
Mk1 can be better, in their style!

But i agree with you! ;)

winjer

Gold Member
Mortal Kombat 1 Official PC Requirements

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6600 | AMD Ryzen™ 3 3100 or Ryzen™ 5 2600
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce® GTX 980 or AMD Radeon™ RX 470 or Intel® Arc™ A750
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 100 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti or AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT or Intel® Arc™ A770

Mortal Kombat 1 Official PC Requirements

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6600 | AMD Ryzen™ 3 3100 or Ryzen™ 5 2600
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce® GTX 980 or AMD Radeon™ RX 470 or Intel® Arc™ A750

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti or AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT or Intel® Arc™ A770
Are those real? Linky poo

Woopah

Would you want a streaming-only version on the PS4?
Switch version but no PS4/XO version, interesting. Cloud streaming maybe?
Also, the Kameo fighter system sounds like MvC 1 assist partners.
Maybe a cloud version?
Switch version is a native port by Sabre

Those old machines still have a huge user base, so it makes no sense from a financial perspective to ignore them while porting to a console significantly weaker than even they arare.
It can run on those platforms. Bit there software sales will be much lower than Switch software sales at this point.

MiguelItUp

En Boon Himself said on kombat kast today that this game isn't a sequel to mk11...
Ed is high.

And by the Amazon Italy leak, my hype is now ZERO.
But that's the thing, I know it's "technically" not a sequel, but it DOES have Liu Kang as a god of fire and thunder like he became at the end of 11, lmao. So it's like, yeah, that's the ONLY connection that exists, but it still exists. Everything else is a fresh start as MK1 from an alternate time/reality, etc.

I can't say my hype is zero, not until I see gameplay. But yeah, that pack doesn't really get me too hyped. But hey, Ermac and Quan are pretty hype. Just give me Reptile damnit!

The thing I'm curious about are changes made to characters we know and love, and if so, the extent of those changes. I guess they will be the same characters through and through, but their roles in the world will change. Much like Liu Kang being present, but as a god now, and Raiden apparently being present, but not being a god? It also sounded as if Scorpion and Subzero may potentially be comrades here, rather than rivals. I wonder how many characters that were "bad" will now be "good" and vice versa.

Yeah, he's high AF, all that trolling went to his brain, lmao.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
Hello guys, I'd like to know your opinion about MK1 graphics, I mean, if this game won't come to Xbox One and PS4, WHY RELEASING on Switch?? Less than 1 Teraflop hardware??
Is it possible to have this game coming to Switch 2 ?? Then NetheRealm couldn't announce to Switch 2, cause NINTENDO didn't said anything about the next console??
Well, the industry use to call a new plataform as ''TBA'', that means To Be Announced... Well, I'm afraid of this game being downgraded cause of the old Switch

SJRB

Gold Member

Some excellent points by Bosman:

- zero combat in this Mortal Kombat trailer
- Literally nothing new in this brand new universe
- Fucking Shang Tsung as pre-order bonus, gtfo

Last edited:

Poplin

for people wondering how switch will work, Saber handled the switch port of witcher 3 which was literal sorcery. pretty confident they'll do a fine job on this one.

for gen 8, no reason to distract NRS from optimizing the ps5/xsx builds in support of last gen ports. waste of resources

I cried of emotion first time i saw. Looked so clean, so Wuxia-like. MARTIAL ARTS, landscapes, forest, old villages...

Then...

"Kameos"
"Chars"
"Crystals"

Well, $$$ paywall again. Ok. Its NRS.

Then the leak

3 DC chars MAIN ROSTER and 3 from MK, all Kameos are MK chars. Nice, because DC chars are more important in the MK game [\spoiler]

Then Johnny cage. How he will fit in the past, im not even counting the bs crap leaked dlc. Do injustice instead...Damn it.

Atmosphere from the trailer GONE.

I thought that trilogy was over, but it seens the same shit as 11, or even worse.

I will not follow anymore this game steps, just the gameplay, revels and etc. But especulation, forum, reddit, nope. Hype from 100 to ZERO.

If the gameplay converts me ok, i will get the game, but the bittersweet taste will still on my mouth.

Mk releases was always special time, but this turned bad quickly to me.

And im not jumping into conclusions, all i said is fact. And I haven't mentioned gameplay because we don't know yet how it will work!

Last edited:

CamHostage

for people wondering how switch will work, Saber handled the switch port of witcher 3 which was literal sorcery. pretty confident they'll do a fine job on this one.

And for people still wondering, the Switch question was also answered like 6 different ways on this page alone...

But on the Saber point, that team also did the Crysis Remastered for Switch and also did the impossible World War Z Swotch version. They do this tricky stuff a lot.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hello guys, I'd like to know your opinion about MK1 graphics, I mean, if this game won't come to Xbox One and PS4, WHY RELEASING on Switch?? Less than 1 Teraflop hardware??
Is it possible to have this game coming to Switch 2 ?? Then NetheRealm couldn't announce to Switch 2, cause NINTENDO didn't said anything about the next console??
Well, the industry use to call a new plataform as ''TBA'', that means To Be Announced... Well, I'm afraid of this game being downgraded cause of the old Switch

The graphics will probably be pretty good. Saber Interactive is making the Switch version, not NRS. So the PS5/XSX versions are not being downgraded.

Assuming that this is legitimate, how are they talking about DLC characters or Kombat packs already when we technically didn’t even see the game yet? Is that a new record?

Its a known practice in fighting games. They are looking how to expand the game and keep players still playing years down the line. SF5 literally was an epty shell but everything was a buyable dlc. Tekken too. MK at least gives you a top looking game with already a shit ton of content and free cosmetics (krypt had like 30 free outfits per character).

HighPoly

Banned
The graphics will probably be pretty good. Saber Interactive is making the Switch version, not NRS. So the PS5/XSX versions are not being downgraded.
Hi beauty, I think we must be something near to the Trailer, and I think the trailer were made in engine, maybe UE5, don't you think?

Its a known practice in fighting games. They are looking how to expand the game and keep players still playing years down the line. SF5 literally was an epty shell but everything was a buyable dlc. Tekken too. MK at least gives you a top looking game with already a shit ton of content and free cosmetics (krypt had like 30 free outfits per character).
That’s true, but I guess it annoys me when they start announcing DLC and content literally before they even unveil the game. Personally, I would let the game release first and a little later start showing DLC, but that’s just me. I feel like it tells me, we purposely left this content out for you to purchase separately in addition to our $60-$70 game. Great point though. NRS games are normally really great looking and filled to the brim with content. Hopefully they’ll keep that tradition. We’ll see what happens with MK1.

Last edited:

CamHostage

...I think the trailer were made in engine, maybe UE5, don't you think?

Once you start getting into top-tier developers like this (not necessarily talking quality, mostly experience and budget and support,) the "engine" matters less than users would think it does because the developer augments the hell out of it or rips it apart and keeps only what fits the project.

The "engine" for NetherRealm Studios technology is based in some form of UE (maybe even with roots still in UE3) but talks from NRS staffers have said that their replacement/custom work is so "radically different" that it's hardly the same engine as gamers would consider it (because we only see the Nanite and Lumen and other features we know the names of, but have no clue what basic programming language/s that UE uses.) At this point, from NetherRealm's viewpoint, it doesn't matter what version they use, because everything the game does, they made (or licensed and implemented,) including all the new next-gen'ish stuff.

There's a reason why a lot of big-name developers just say their game is "built with Unreal Engine" and don't get more specific than that, and then there is also a reason why early-adopters of stuff like UE5 put "built with UE5" as the first bulletpoint of their marketing statements.

The reason why the engine version number matters is usually different from the reason why we think it matters.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
Once you start getting into top-tier developers like this (not necessarily talking quality, mostly experience and budget and support,) the "engine" matters less than users would think it does because the developer augments the hell out of it or rips it apart and keeps only what fits the project.

The "engine" for NetherRealm Studios technology is based in some form of UE (maybe even with roots still in UE3) but talks from NRS staffers have said that their replacement/custom work is so "radically different" that it's hardly the same engine as gamers would consider it (because we only see the Nanite and Lumen and other features we know the names of, but have no clue what basic programming language/s that UE uses.) At this point, from NetherRealm's viewpoint, it doesn't matter what version they use, because everything the game does, they made (or licensed and implemented,) including all the new next-gen'ish stuff.

There's a reason why a lot of big-name developers just say their game is "built with Unreal Engine" and don't get more specific than that, and then there is also a reason why early-adopters of stuff like UE5 put "built with UE5" as the first bulletpoint of their marketing statements.

The reason why the engine version number matters is usually different from the reason why we think it matters.
Honestly, I'd like to see the same jump from MKX to MK11, in MK11 to MK1... If they push that level of advancement I'd be happy
Do you think it's possible?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think what puts me off to enjoying fighting games for the entire duration of their run are the insane infinites. The EX bar can be fun, but being hit once and then KO sucks. It’s boring and it’s boring to admit it’s cool because that’s what the developer created (thus we should all be excited about it). I like it when they take a step back from their formula and add more grounded strategy with a better flow to the combat. I feel like the last couple MK have done a good job with Fatal Blows and etc. maybe I just want something new.

MK3 had the cool dial a combo mechanic. My guess is going back that far might make battles kinda boring. It was still fun.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Am I the only one who wants them to go to the 2.5d fighting arenas in mk4? Not the full 3d movement like in mk deception mind you. Just dodging ducking forwards and backwards.

dcx4610

I thought the trailer was pretty cool but I'd love an actual remake of the first game where it's just a tournament on an island like Enter the Dragon with some toned down characters. Once they started doing the Outworld and dimensional stuff, I dropped out. I guess that would be too basic and quaint for today's audience though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom