• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My favorite thing about the current gen consoles is not the graphics...

kevm3

Obviously, there has been some impressive graphics here and there when they aren't doing the cross gen thing, but after getting a Series X, my favorite thing about this console is the load times. It makes playing games WAY more pleasant. I was experimenting with a couple of older games like Rayman Legends, and this thing loads almost as if it was on a cartridge. I heard and watched videos about the short load times prior to owning one of the new systems, but experiencing it is another matter. It's going to make playing games on other platforms very difficult. I have a decent gaming laptop as well, and the Series X seems to be even quite a bit faster loading than that.

ParaSeoul

Confused Emma Stone GIF by SAG Awards

NahaNago

next gen has barely even started and most of the games are crossgen so ssd loading speeds should be one of the biggest things right now. Plus since current gen games are going after 4k, 60fps , and raytracing, expect pretty much last gen games with those features. The ps6 and xbox one series x 2 should be where we actually see more of a jump in my opinion since it will most likely be only a big change to resolution to 8k versus the resolution increasing, doubling fps, and ray tracing.

I hope we stick to 4k for ps6 and xb1sx2.

Last edited:

Banned
It makes playing games WAY more pleasant. I was experimenting with a couple of older games like Rayman Legends, and this thing loads almost as if it was on a cartridge.

my guy, I don't wanna burst your bubble on that one, but Rayman Legends on PS4 and One literally has no load times. due to the game being small enough to completely fit into ram, that's literally what it was designed to do, it has ZERO load screens on One and PS4. they quite literally removed them completely. they were a sort of minigame in Wii U, PS3 and 360 where you can get bonus hearts

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Load times on consoles are pretty great. I've seen substantial improvements in load times on XSX for Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 versus the same games on my PC with PCIe 4.0 SSD.

But my favorite things about this gen has to be the improved frame rate. Third would be the DualSense controller which I love. Being able to actually feel the grass Aloy is walking through in HFW was mindblowing.

So ranking!

1. Frame rate
2. Load Times
3. DualSense

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
such an overrated controller lol. most trigger effects are annoying as hell and like 2 games I played so far actually used them in a good way.
Hard disagree here.

Most games have used the features very well and many older titles have added it. GT7 is the most recent game I've played with it and it's used fantastically for both adaptive triggers and haptics.

I recently got the Series X and my very first impression is how bad the controller feels compared to the DualSense. Not only does it lack the features, but it just feels cheaper to me. From button noise, to the actual plastic and weight. The d-pad is stupid loud and the analogs hit the edge of the plastics too easily.

Last edited:

dottme

I really hope to see even better result. With every new hardware supporting really fast SSD access, software can probably focus on improving streaming everything and improving game design to hide all the loading time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah loading is pretty impressive, but I wish there was more to celebrate like next gen gameplay features or game design improvements. These consoles have been the biggest leap we've had in any generation in the last 20 years in terms of CPU, GPU and I/O leaps. There should be no real bottlenecks like in the PS1 and PS2 era where CDs and DVDs held back I/O or in the PS360 era where the RAM was a huge bottleneck holding back the CPU and GPU, and last gen when we finally had RAM and a great GPU but the jaguar CPUs and slow HDDs ensured game design didnt really improve upon the PS360 era. This gen has everything. Incredible CPUs, amazing SSD and IO capabilities, a GPU that can do fucking ray tracing and push photorealistic visuals like the Matrix, and yet all we have gotten so far is fast loading.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do a test playing Fallout 4 or Skyrim from Series X SSD. And add 4k texture mods and whatever fancy mods to boot. It'll run at 60 fps too. It'll make you wanna play it 10x more.

It feels and plays like totally different games than slow loading and chuggy 30 fps from old consoles.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Yeah, the loading times are probably the best new feature for me. It makes gaming so much easier and smoother. There is no going back to crappy HDD now.

Banned
Hard disagree here.

Most games have used the features very well and many older titles have added it. GT7 is the most recent game I've played with it and it's used fantastically for both adaptive triggers and haptics.

I recently got the Series X and my very first impression is how bad the controller feels compared to the DualSense. Not only does it lack the features, but it just feels cheaper to me. From button noise, to the actual plastic and weight. The d-pad is stupid loud and the analogs hit the edge of the plastics too easily.

wtf? the sticks hit the edge to easily? wtf does that even mean?

and yes, the dpad is loud, it's supposed to give very clear feedback, the Dpad kn the dualsense is mushy and imprecise in comparison.

the buttons in general on the dualsense are weirdly mushy compared to the DS4.
and the ergonomics are hell for me compared to the DS4

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yes, the plastic circle around the analog sticks. Coming from the DualSense, the Series X controller has less resistance and doesn't feel as good (and this is even comparing the analog sticks after a year of use on the DualSense.)

As for button feedback, it's pretty much preference, but I prefer the softer presses and response on the DualSense.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

He is saying the Xbox sticks are less resistant. He is right. They are.

I like XSX ok, but I like DualSense a lot more. Either way, for me, Elite Series 2 is still my favorite controller.

Ultimately, controllers are a matter of personal preference though. For me, DualSense is much more ergonomic than DS4. Just means my hands are different than yours.

Last edited:

Aenima

Same, playing on PS5 and its hard to go back to any previous gen consoles with slow loadings. Also great to see so many games this get targeting 60fps or having 60fps options.

MachRc

I like the dualsense controller speakers. One of the reasons why I chose some x-plat games on the ps5. The resistant triggers are cool too.

I also really like, quick resume. I usually leave the ps5 on rest mode bathed in that orange light so I can drop in my game like quick resume.

But on the SX, after months of not playing a certain game, console turned off or not, it drops me exactly where I left off. Sure it only saves me like a few minutes but with kids and wife soon approaching home from work,

every minute counts.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, controllers are all about preference. I love the heft and weight of the elite 2 just the rb button bugs me.

Agree. For me it is all about those back buttons. One issue I have with DualSense is the L3/R3 stick buttons are too easily pressed. To dismount from your horse in Elden Ring on PS5 you press L3. I kept accidentally hitting L3 and suddenly on my feet in the midst of a fight. Talk about being pissed. I couldn't take it anymore. Sold Elden Ring on ebay and bought the game on Steam so I could my Elite Series 2.

Back buttons should be a standard option. I'd pay more for that option every time. Still wondering what the hell happened to the back button attachment from PS4.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Load times on consoles are pretty great. I've seen substantial improvements in load times on XSX for Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 versus the same games on my PC with PCIe 4.0 SSD.

But my favorite things about this gen has to be the improved frame rate. Third would be the DualSense controller which I love. Being able to actually feel the grass Aloy is walking through in HFW was mindblowing.

So ranking!

1. Frame rate
2. Load Times
3. DualSense
I agree on frame rates and load times. DualSense frustrates me more than not, especially the adaptive triggers. The changes in resistance is a cool feature, but it's so distracting since it's different for every game.

Topher

Gold Member
I agree on frame rates and load times. DualSense frustrates me more than not, especially the adaptive triggers. The changes in resistance is a cool feature, but it's so distracting since it's different for every game.

I've read that from a few others as well. Seems to be a love it or hate it thing. At least you can turn it off though.

Kuranghi

I got distracted by kyliethicc kyliethicc 's new avie, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, fuck visuals! Its all about the *reads* load times!

I mean, technically when I'm examining the visuals I am thinking about the load times, but not in the way you imagine.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Loading times are a god send, I agree. But some of them aren’t as good as they should be. Elden Ring on XSX isn’t as good as it should be IMO.

Agreed. Dying and fast travel in Elden Ring on PS5 is so much less frustrating due to the quick load times.
Absolutely nothing current gen about Elden Ring PS5/XSX. The improvements are strictly because both consoles have SSD, not because the game is designed to utilize it in any way.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Absolutely nothing current gen about Elden Ring PS5/XSX. The improvements are strictly because both consoles have SSD, not because the game is designed to utilize it in any way.
The PS5 does have a faster SSD than XSX. I think it has slightly faster loading times too. XSX with VRR currently provides a better experience.

Nah. It'll be something like 6k at 30fps upscaled to 8k. At the bottom end we'll have 4k upscaled to 8k just like we had 1080p upscaled to 4k on PS5 with Returnal.

8k TVs should be more common by the time the PS6 is out so expect Sony to want market the PS6 to go well with their new 8k Bravia line just like they did the PS5 with the 4k Bravias.

klosos

I love that the PS5 is dead silent eveb under load, the complete opposite of my ps4 pro that sounded like a Jet engine in some games.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
The PS5 does have a faster SSD than XSX. I think it has slightly faster loading times too. XSX with VRR currently provides a better experience.
Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

Can you check the console nonsense for a moment? All I said was there was nothing current gen about Elden Ring. The difference is negligible.

Ps5 is a very pleasant experience all around. Not blown away visually though some first parties are are doing great things. I'm disappointed though when it comes to raw power, i.e. not being able to brute force games like Guardians and Dying Light 2, to be able to run their fidelity modes at 60 fps. A bit more GPU and memory bandwith is what we should've got imo. Or like Controls ray tracing mode. Or games having to use low AF like Doom eternal in RT mode. Forbidden West not being able to maintain good iq at 60 fps. Uncharted 4 remaster, last of us 2, gta v remaster being 1440p/60 instead of like 1800p or higher/60fps. Just comes up slightly short imo power wise.

The loading times are great for sure though and make gaming on ps5 a treat. Now, can we get some quality of life stuff sorted out Sony? The UI is still kinda annoying, having to hold down the ps button to get back to the dashboard instead of tapping it; not having ps4/ps5 downloads seemless, I have 2 cyberpunk 2077 versions showing up on the dashboard because ps5 can't distinguish between the ps4 disc and ps5 version of the game I'm playing (seriously Sony?), or VRR taking so long.

Sony's customer service and ps5's user experience by extension is shit this gen.

tygertrip

next gen has barely even started and most of the games are crossgen so ssd loading speeds should be one of the biggest things right now. Plus since current gen games are going after 4k, 60fps , and raytracing, expect pretty much last gen games with those features. The ps6 and xbox one series x 2 should be where we actually see more of a jump in my opinion since it will most likely be only a big change to resolution to 8k versus the resolution increasing, doubling fps, and ray tracing.

Goddamn dude, slow down. Believe you me, the future will be the present before you know it. Enjoy the present, because it is already gone.

Last edited:

tygertrip

I got distracted by kyliethicc kyliethicc 's new avie, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, fuck visuals! Its all about the *reads* load times!

I mean, technically when I'm examining the visuals I am thinking about the load times, but not in the way you imagine.
Bruh… I don’t think anyone else got it, lol. But I literally LOL’d!

Last edited:

tygertrip

and yes, the dpad is loud, it's supposed to give very clear feedback, the Dpad kn the dualsense is mushy and imprecise in comparison.

If I could have the Elite Series 2 heft, back buttons, resistance adjustability, curve control, and clicky d-pad combined with the haptics,adaptive triggers, touchpad, and gyro, of the dual sense… well, I‘d be happy as a pig in sheep shit!

Last edited:
my favorite XSX feature is quick resume. It's quite a game changer for someone who only has small chunks of time to game and also juggles various games at once. The PS5 DualSense controller is also a favorite feature of mine since it makes even some multiplatform titles feel unique on the console. This is a great time for gaming imo. Can't wait for more people to get their hands on these systems.

Top Bottom