• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NA : Virtual Console line-up for April (GBA games + SMB3 finally coming)

Meier

$8 seems like a lot for straight ports, or maybe I am just cheap.

Prices are too high and they need to just unload them all at once. People will keep coming back to the well regardless. No one is going to buy a Wii U based on these releases so doing it over time doesn't make sense. They can't replace the need for an actual, new game release.. they're supplements. Put up 20-50 games at once. People will buy them and/or play them on their own time.

Penguin

I haven't had a chance to play many of these due to only having a GBA SP for a short time before it "vanished" so looking forward to it.

As for pricing, I don't find it bad, but I do think folks should ask more for flex pricing. That does seem a bit more reasonable especially since time and distance has shown some of these games don't hold up and pretty sure which ones Nintendo knows

Prices are too high and they need to just unload them all at once. People will keep coming back to the well regardless. No one is going to buy a Wii U based on these releases so doing it over time doesn't make sense. They can't replace the need for an actual, new game release.. they're supplements. Put up 20-50 games at once. People will buy them and/or play them on their own time.
I think prices are fair. I expected a lot more, like $10-14 range, seeing how GB/GBC games are $5-7.

People like the 2D version? That doesn't mean that 2D Mario = Retro game. If they had kept making 2D Mario games until now and never stopped would it still be considered a retro game?

Probably not.

But the fact of the matter is that the return of 2D Mario was scoffed at by many game journalists for being too outdated (see: retro) to compete as a AAA title, and accepted (or at least seen) by consumers as a return to form (see: return to retro roots).

"Retro/classic gaming" is the Mario brand - at least the 2D Mario brand that sells gangbusters. NSMB sells today for the same reason that the old SMB games still sell today. This probably explains why people who bought Wii - a system whose main controllers were specifically designed around NES/SNES aesthetics - also often bought a bunch of VC games and a bunch of NES/SNES sequels (while not buying the N64/GC type games).

sörine

Banned
But it doesn't end there. It's also the constant push they give to re-purchase software. The same games we bought with the Wii VC require upgrades to be bought to fully-play them on the Wii U.
That's not quite true. Every Wii VC game is fully transferrable and playable on Wii U free of charge. You can update to the native Wii U version if you want for only $1 to $1.50 and that adds a bunch of new options (Off TV play, button config, save states, Miiverse, browser suspend) but you can play all your Wii VC games on Wii U without paying anything.

I think the lack of cross-buy or even a cross-discount on 3DS is problematic though since they're starting to share VC platforms like NES and TG16. It's something Nintendo really needs to address imo.

It's worth noting not all PSN retro games have cross-buy either though, like NeoGeo for example.

Hatchtag

Banned
sörine;105882875 said:
That's not quite true. Every Wii VC game is fully transferrable and playable on Wii U free of charge. You can update to the native Wii U version if you want for only $1 to $1.50 and that adds a bunch of new options (Off TV play, button config, save states, Miiverse, browser suspend) but you can play all your Wii VC games on Wii U without paying anything.

Those features should be standard though, and not cost the extra money. It's stupid. I didn't have to pay to upgrade options on the other systems. Why on the Wii U?

Probably not.

But the fact of the matter is that the return of 2D Mario was scoffed at by many game journalists for being too outdated (see: retro) to compete as a AAA title, and accepted (or at least seen) by consumers as a return to form (see: return to retro roots).

"Retro/classic gaming" is the Mario brand - at least the 2D Mario brand that sells gangbusters. NSMB sells today for the same reason that the old SMB games still sell today.
They sell because they're good games and have a reputation. The game play and graphics were both updated. If NSMB is a retro game then pretty much any game released from a game series that started in the 80s is a retro game.

Just because some ass clown game journalists didn't think people would buy a new 2D Mario doesn't mean the NSMB games are retro games.

sörine

Banned
I didn't say no one bought them, I said people aren't buying systems for them. How many of those 2 million people do you think bought a Wii so they could play SNES ROMS?
Early on I would say Virtual Console was definitely a selling point for Wii. There was a ton of releases and really nothing else like it at the time on consoles.

The Famicom Mini (NES Classics) line also moved a surprising amount of GBA hardware and software. I believe it was even highlighted as doing so way back in Nintendo's financial results and it's pretty easy to see the interest here is what led to NSMB's development. Classic console ports and remakes have always been a big driver for Nintendo handhelds though.

sörine

Banned
Those features should be standard though, and not cost the extra money. It's stupid. I didn't have to pay to upgrade options on the other systems. Why on the Wii U?
Why shouldn't you pay? It takes additional investment to add these features and retest emulation to meet Nintendo's higher standards for VC. Plus $1 is like nothing.

What option upgrades do PS Classics offer between systems? I wasn't aware of any besides the inherent system wide stuff like resolution bumps?

m.i.s.

Banned
"Bend over"? GTFO with that.I already have a WiiU to play it on so why not? More games for it are never a bad thing. Why screw myself on my investment by not buying anything for it? Plus, I find the price reasonable for games I would like to play legitimately On and off TV.

Don't agree with the price? It's simple, don't buy it.

I wasn't referring to you but a certain contingent of fans that seem to come across as Nintendo apologists. ie they appear to defend Nintendo no matter what.

In responding to Chill Penguin, I was simply making the point that Nintendo are releasing these games on Wii U [and not 3DS] to shore up the sparse Wii U library because they know they'll get a much better response from game starved fans.

I personally wouldn't buy any of these games. But then, I've got an AGS-101 GBA SP with all the games I want. It's just a personal thing. I give the Nintendo game designers a certain kind of patronage by buying and circulating games in the second hand market, and Nintendo "the corporation" doesn't get anything.

sörine;105883634 said:
Early on I would say Virtual Console was definitely a selling point for Wii. There was a ton of releases and really nothing else like it at the time on consoles.

The Famicom Mini (NES Classics) line also moved a surprising amount of GBA hardware and software. I believe it was even highlighted as doing so way back in Nintendo's financial results and it's pretty easy to see the interest here is what led to NSMB's development. Classic console ports and remakes have always been a big driver for Nintendo handhelds though.
The portable ones I can understand. They're taking your favorite games and adding the fact that you can take them anywhere. I can see how that moves systems.

I don't buy the fact that people bought a Wii because of the VC. I believe that a lot of people bought VC games, but I dont believe that people saw Donkey Kong was coming on VC and will say that it was a deciding factor on their console purchase. There was a Zelda game, Wii Sports pack in, and a reasonable price that lured people into getting a Wii.

Hatchtag

Banned
sörine;105884126 said:
Why shouldn't you pay? It takes additional investment to add these features and retest emulation to meet Nintendo's higher standards for VC. Plus $1 is like nothing.

What option upgrades do PS Classics offer between systems? I wasn't aware of any besides the inherent system wide stuff like resolution bumps?

Because, I expect the ability to run games I've already purchased to be part of the cost of a console. I don't expect to have to pay to "run them slightly better".
I can't speak for the PS1 or PSP much, but for the Vita it offers button remapping and several different screen options.

JavyOO7

Hmm. Wished Golden Sun 2 was released. Also wished Advance Wars 1 and 2 would come out at the same time like it will be for Japan.

Terrell

Considering the fact that PS1 games run a mere $6 and PS2 games are $10, I would say they they are a bit too expensive. Why a port of SMW is $2 less than Final Fantasy 9 and more expensive than RE2 baffles me.
You're making a statement on both the quality of something vs. something else, which is completely and utterly relative.
It's not that baffling: some people actually value certain games more than others and a direct comparison is invalid.

GBA? $2

Put it NES at $1, GBA at $2, SNES at $2,50 and you will have every single wiiu owner buying VC games

More people buying VC means more people talking about VC which could even mean more awareness about WiiU itself. But that would only happen with lower prices

Anedoctal evidence that VC games with the current price structure sell a miserable amount of copies:
On Wii U, perhaps. They sold more than sufficiently on Wii.
The miserable amount of sales issue won't go away until Wii U is in more homes. As a service, its sales are in direct proportion to hardware sales and are no longer system-selling features; that ship set sail with Wii.

JoseJX

I would maybe spend $8 on Advance Wars, but I would prefer to get that game on my 3DS than my Wii U.

I would too. My DSLite was basically an Advance Wars machine for long periods of time. I'd much rather have them on 3DS than WiiU.

They sell because they're good games and have a reputation. The game play and graphics were both updated. If NSMB is a retro game then pretty much any game released from a game series that started in the 80s is a retro game.

By that logic, are Super Mario 64 and/or Super Mario Galaxy worse games with worse reputations?

In responding to Chill Penguin, I was simply making the point that Nintendo are releasing these games on Wii U [and not 3DS] to shore up the sparse Wii U library because they know they'll get a much better response from game starved fans.

In that case, 2014 would have been a great time to start releasing GBA VC games on 3DS.

And Jan 2013 (long before development dried up) wasn't really the best time to announce the GBA VC for Wii U.

Just saying.

You're making a statement on both the quality of something vs. something else, which is completely and utterly relative.
It's not that baffling: some people actually value certain games more than others and a direct comparison is invalid.

On Wii U, perhaps. They sold more than sufficiently on Wii.
The miserable amount of sales issue won't go away until Wii U is in more homes. As a service, its sales are in direct proportion to hardware sales and are no longer system-selling features; that ship set sail with Wii.
He wasn't referring to quality. He was referring to the fact that these companies are obviously pricing out their products based on what console they came out on and that SNES games cost more then PS1 games, and are almost equal to PS2 games.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get having GBA games for Wii U but not 3DS but ok.

Terrell

He wasn't referring to quality. He was referring to the fact that these companies are obviously pricing out their products based on what console they came out on and that SNES games cost more then PS1 games, and are almost equal to PS2 games.
And GBA is a handheld, so making comparative statements from console game pricing is also relative and a flawed argument point, leading a reader to think handheld games are somehow of less value to the individual making the statement.

Sucks that Nintendo decided these are better suited for the Wii U instead of the 3DS.

It's going to suck a lot less once people realize Nintendo will have to do basically no redevelopment work to get these games to work on their future consoles and handhelds. (Whereas pretty much anything built for 3DS will have to be re-engineered all over again.)

By that logic, are Super Mario 64 and/or Super Mario Galaxy worse games with worse reputations?
No? Just because a game doesn't sell as well doesn't mean it has a bad reputation. It just means people don't have as much of an interest in them.

My point was that people played 2D Mario games, enjoyed them and liked the idea of an updated version of them. But like every other example I've given you a game isn't retro just because you can compare it to a retro game. That doesn't make any sense. A lot of people bought SFIV because they know the Street Fighter name is usually quality and they remember playing old Street Fighter games. None of that means SFIV is a retro game.
And GBA is a handheld, so making comparative statements from console game pricing is also relative and a flawed argument point, leading a reader to think handheld games are somehow of less value to the individual making the statement.
Even if you don't compare it to the handheld prices Nintendo still has a worse pricing structure then Sony.

As far as your handheld point., I think the industry does that well enough by lowering the prices of handheld games comparatively to console games at the time of release.

No? Just because a game doesn't sell as well doesn't mean it has a bad reputation. It just means people don't have as much of an interest in them.

Why don't people have as much of an interest in 3D Mario vs. 2D Mario? Or, to put it another way, why do they buy the games that resemble games from 20-30 years ago, and not the more "modern"-styled 3D platformers?

It's not like Street Fighter, where they're just buying the name because the name means quality. (Otherwise, why the clear divide between 2D & 3D?)

What is it about the 2D Mario "brand" that distinguishes it from the 3D Mario "brand"? Is it that it is more familiar? Is it that it is more accessible (i.e. less complex)? In either of these cases, you'd basically be admitting that it's because 2D Mario adheres to retro design standards, which are definitely distinct from modern design standards. There's still a very obvious gap between NSMB and Super Mario 3D World, despite the latter's desperate attempts at being like the former.

It's going to suck a lot less once people realize Nintendo will have to do basically no redevelopment work to get these games to work on their future consoles and handhelds. (Whereas pretty much anything built for 3DS will have to be re-engineered all over again.)

So your argument is that we should trust Nintendo to create a solution that their competitors have had for almost seven years?
I personally don't have that kind of faith in the company.

So your argument is that we should trust Nintendo to create a solution that their competitors have had for almost seven years?
I personally don't have that kind of faith in the company.

None of Nintendo's competitors have ever had a single hardware/software architecture that's shared between dedicated video game console and handheld devices. Nor have they announced any such thing.

Why don't people have as much of an interest in 3D Mario vs. 2D Mario? Or, to put it another way, why do they buy the games that resemble games from 20-30 years ago, and not the more "modern"-styled 3D platformers?

It's not like Street Fighter, where they're just buying the name because the name means quality. (Otherwise, why the clear divide between 2D & 3D?)

What is it about the 2D Mario "brand" that distinguishes it from the 3D Mario "brand"?
Nostalgia? They find the 3D game play to be too confusing? It could be a number of things, either way none of those things makes NSMB a retro game.

And 2D game play is not adhering to retro design standards. Retro doesn't even have a standard.

sörine

Banned
The portable ones I can understand. They're taking your favorite games and adding the fact that you can take them anywhere. I can see how that moves systems.

I don't buy the fact that people bought a Wii because of the VC. I believe that a lot of people bought VC games, but I dont believe that people saw Donkey Kong was coming on VC and will say that it was a deciding factor on their console purchase. There was a Zelda game, Wii Sports pack in, and a reasonable price that lured people into getting a Wii.
And there were also a ton of NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16 games and even a N64 title around launch. Core gamers were psyched about downloading Alien Crush, Castlevania IV or Gunstar Heroes and lots of casuals were interested picking up SMB1, Zelda 1 or Sonic 1. You should take a look at the archived gaf threads, there was palpable excitement and even people buying a Wii specifically for VC. Even if not the main selling point it was still a selling point for many too, myself included.

Because, I expect the ability to run games I've already purchased to be part of the cost of a console. I don't expect to have to pay to "run them slightly better".
I can't speak for the PS1 or PSP much, but for the Vita it offers button remapping and several different screen options.
Well you're in luck, you can already run all your Wii VC free of charge on your Wii U. And they arguably run better in Wii mode sadly.

Button config and screen options are inherent features in Vita for PSP backwards compatibility afaik, I don't believe they're PS Classics specific though and if PSP had similar options they wouldn't be upgrades either really.

Nostalgia? They find the 3D game play to be too confusing? It could be a number of things, either way none of those things makes NSMB a retro game.

Retro - adjective
imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past.
"retro 60s fashions"

NSMB is the very textbook definition of retro.

Pociask

sörine;105888806 said:
And there were also a ton of NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16 games and even a N64 title around launch. Core gamers were psyched about downloading Alien Crush, Castlevania IV or Gunstar Heroes and lots of casuals were interested picking up SMB1, Zelda 1 or Sonic 1. You should take a look at the archived gaf threads, there was palpable excitement and even people buying a Wii specifically for VC. Even if not the main selling point it was still a selling point for many too, myself included.

Man, those were happy, exciting days. Nintendo was just killing it back then - firing on all cylinders, everything they touched turning to gold. And yeah, I can remember people saying they were buying the system just for VC. VC came out with guns blazing, and we had every reason to believe Nintendo had made a huge commitment to making the Wii the ultimate repository of video gaming. Judging by the amount of games that were released, and continued to be released (like, every Bonk game?), people were making money - lots of money, considering how little investment was required.

At some point, Nintendo decided it just wasn't worth it to them. Maybe some suit decided too much money was being spent on old games instead of new games. Who knows.

Complaining about eight bucks...if the age of these games is the sticking point for you people, PSOne Classics go for between 6 and 10 bucks on PSN and those games are even older. But whatever, I'm in for Superstar Saga day one

At some point, Nintendo decided it just wasn't worth it to them. Maybe some suit decided too much money was being spent on old games instead of new games. Who knows.

I suspect the problem is that they were struggling to get games out on Wii U (and even 3DS) and had to put the VC on the back burner.

I'll probably grab Advance Wars and Golden Sun at some point, never got to play those games on the GBA when they came out.

Why are people surprised at the prices? Yes they are steep, but how could you expect less? SNES games are $8 on the VC, why would GBA games be any cheaper?

I'll probably grab Advance Wars and Golden Sun at some point, never got to play those games on the GBA when they came out.

Why are people surprised at the prices? Yes they are steep, but how could you expect less? SNES games are $8 on the VC, why would GBA games be any cheaper?

people don't like snes game prices either and this thread gave people an outlet for their frustrations with the vc service.

Top Bottom