• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NA : Virtual Console line-up for April (GBA games + SMB3 finally coming)

When will Nintendo figure out that I, FUNKNOWN iXi, would be close to buying 100% of their classic games if they were priced accordingly*, but at $8+ I'm only going to buy one? I wonder how much it costs them to port these games, if they're not just downloading them from a rom site or something......

Come on, we all know they're priced too high..

Haines

Banned
When will Nintendo figure out that I, FUNKNOWN iXi, would be close to buying 100% of their classic games if they were priced accordingly*, but at $8+ I'm only going to buy one? I wonder how much it costs them to port these games, if they're not just downloading them from a rom site or something......

Come on, we all know they're priced too high..

You don't think Nintendo knows this? You will buy the others when they go on 'sale'

That's what I'll wait for. Still waiting on earthbound. Tho I dunno how a GBA game will look on tablet...

Can you do multiplayer in these? If so, I definitely want to buy Kirby & the Amazing Mirror if I get a Wii U this summer. Great game that I never got to experience in multiplayer, but I reckon it would be fun as hell considering it's essentially a full game of Great Cave Offensive.

I'm suprised we got actual NES SMB3 and not SMB3/SMA4 GBA version. What a mess VC has become...put portable games on portables Nintendo. Or better yet copy Sony for once and make them cross playable.

Since their next-gen architecture will be shared across consoles and portables, and will be able to "absorb the Wii U architecture" (note: not the 3DS architecture), putting them on Wii U is effectively the same thing as making them cross-playable.

We just won't see the benefits for 3-4 years.

_woLf

Another generation filled with Nintendo re-releasing their games from 10+ years ago for way too much.

Sigh. I've bought these games like 6 times, can we move on?

sörine;105867755 said:
Both are great versions. Do what I'm doing, buy both and pretend the GBA port is Super Luigi World.

Shoot wish I could. I plan on getting Metroid Fusion and SMB3. Not sure if I can get both version of Super Mario world. This is a tough decision lol.

MrMephistoX

I would say don't buy GBA games on Wii U to try and educate Nintendo that we need these suckers on 3DS but I'm afraid they'd just conclude that Gaijin don't like GBA games lol.

Haines

Banned
Another generation filled with Nintendo re-releasing their games from 10+ years ago for way too much.

Nintendo's pocket ace is that there games stand the test of time and they will abuse that forever.

sörine

Banned
Shoot wish I could. I plan on getting Metroid Fusion and SMB3. Not sure if I can get both version of Super Mario world. This is a tough decision lol.
If you can only do one I'd go for SNES. It's tougher, has better music, more screen real estate and no voices. I think the only really worthwhile upgrades for GBA are Luigi playing differently and Yoshi coin hunting.

Can you do multiplayer in these? If so, I definitely want to buy Kirby & the Amazing Mirror if I get a Wii U this summer. Great game that I never got to experience in multiplayer, but I reckon it would be fun as hell considering it's essentially a full game of Great Cave Offensive.

Nope, even though one of the most commonly employed defenses is that Nintendo values accurate emulation. Games like Kirby & the Amazing Mirror and Mario Kart Super Circuit are going to suck without multiplayer.

CDX

Wish they would do this every month for VC games, so you know what to expect. Before you didn't know what VC games were coming until sometimes the night before.

But FINALLY!

April 17th

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

Also Nintendo... I want the SNES Yoshi's Island

So which is better, Super Mario World SNES or Super Mario World GBA?

Luigi in the GBA version has slightly different physics

In the SNES version both Mario & Luigi played exactly the same.

sörine;105867755 said:
Both are great versions. Do what I'm doing, buy both and pretend the GBA port is Super Luigi World.

That's basically what I've decided to do too.

SummitAve

Banned

You bought multiple games 6 times? You need to move on, not nintendo. They're plenty of people who haven't played these games let alone bought them so many times over and over again.

ohlawd

iunno man Advance Wars, Golden Sun and shit.

did you see the name Mario pop up and came to the conclusion that everything on the list is a rerelease?

Somnid

I imagine if you own 6 copies of Metroid Fusion you are probably retro hardcore enough to not need Virtual Console and probably place a huge amount of value on the cartridge itself. But others do appreciate re-releases of games they either haven't played or would like to play again in a convenient manner.

Kyuur

Some comparisons using Amazon:

Used cart prices, w/o shipping costs:
Advance Wars - $13
Superstar Saga - $10
Metroid Fusion - $14
Kirby & Amazing Mirror - $16
Warioware - $10
F-Zero - $0.25 (lol)
Golden Sun - $12

With shipping costs the general price is a little over $15. Eight bucks for a digital copy that is guaranteed to work and arrives instantly sounds fine to me. I don't see how it is expensive at all.

Edit: Oh, and by the way that's the US store. Over here in Canada land I'm looking more at $30-$60 for the titles I want, used.

Super Mario Bros. 3 on April 17th on 3DS VC...FINALLY. Praise the sun.
praisethesmb3sun_1lj3h.png

cacildo

With shipping costs the general price is a little over $15. Eight bucks for a digital copy that is guaranteed to work and arrives instantly sounds fine to me. I don't see how it is expensive at all.

Edit: Oh, and by the way that's the US store. Over here in Canada land I'm looking more at $30-$60 for the titles I want, used.

its not only a question of VC price vs Real cart price

Its a question of Do i want to play this old game? How much would i pay to play this old game?

$7,99? Sorry, i dont want to pay this price, i will go on without playing this game

Ridley327

I would guess anything that only requires one system should still be working.

I doubt they even went as far to remove any multiplayer functionality in the games, since these are ROM dumps for the most part. There's just nothing in the emulator that would enable some kind of wireless play between Wii Us, whether online or locally.

sörine

Banned

Advance Wars - $13
Superstar Saga - $10
Metroid Fusion - $14
Warioware - $10
F-Zero - $0.25 (lol)
Golden Sun - $12

I was doing a similar list with Price Charting values.

Advance Wars: $14.01 loose, $87.25 new
F-Zero Maximum Velocity: $5 loose, $17.99 new
Golden Sun: $12.05 loose, $49.99 new
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror: $13 loose, $90 new
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga: $8.50 loose, $41.01 new
Metroid Fusion: $17.86 loose, $67.55 new
Wario Ware Inc: $9.99 loose, $35.99 new
Yoshi's Island: $11.01 loose, $36 new

jimi_dini

If you want to compare the upgraded features of a Bluray the better parallel would be those PS2 collections like Sly Cooper. They both have updated visuals and a few extra features. VC releases are like buying the DVD again because there is an extra commentary track.

That's hilarious, because Sly Cooper was actually missing the developer commentary tracks in the HD release.
And if you count 3 bad mini games as "extra features", well...

Metal Gear Solid 2+3 HD were missing some features from the PS2 releases (Snakeboarding, Monkey vs. Snake, etc.). And the other games had all sorts of weird bugs including Sly Cooper. Didn't happen often, but it's amazing that they managed to add them, because the original PS2 titles were rock-solid. SotC got broken somewhat, it's way worse than the PS2-PAL release. Except for the graphics of course. I won't even start with the turd that is Silent Hill "HD" collection. And I will also not mention the Ubisoft "HD" collections, which were quite broken.

Davey Cakes

$7,99? Sorry, i dont want to pay this price, i will go on without playing this game
Okay. And what price would be universally accepted? What's the perfect price to make everyone say "I will buy this game." Other than FREE of course.

To be honest, there isn't one.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
sörine;105870956 said:
I was doing a similar list with Price Charting values.

Advance Wars: $14.01 loose, $87.25 new
F-Zero Maximum Velocity: $5 loose, $17.99 new
Golden Sun: $12.05 loose, $49.99 new
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror: $13 loose, $90 new
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga: $8.50 loose, $41.01 new
Metroid Fusion: $17.86 loose, $67.55 new
Wario Ware Inc: $9.99 loose, $35.99 new
Yoshi's Island: $11.01 loose, $36 new

I would rely more on the complete in box quality rather than new. CIB Advance Wars would average around $27, for example.

A link to Price Charting for GBA games, whether they're loose, CIB, or new prices, if anyone's interested for a comparison.

Pociask

While we're doing feature requests, please please please PLEASE let Golden Sun: Lost Age (when it's released) connect to your Golden Sun save file. I really don't want to record a 64 digit password anymore (that doesn't work when I input it, but I already sold the game and can't get the password again :| ).

seady

The only incentive for me to play them is to allow cross-play between Wii U and 3DS. But I know Nintendo will never be that generous.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Advance Wars - $13
Superstar Saga - $10
Metroid Fusion - $14
Warioware - $10
F-Zero - $0.25 (lol)
Golden Sun - $12

These are terrible comparisons. The closest comparison is the already available digital copy which costs zero dollars in US or Canadian money. I'm not condoning piracy or suggesting people choose that route, but if you're being realistic that's Nintendo's competition here. They need to make a product at a price that's more compelling than a free download that works on your computer or your phone, and they seem to be failing at doing that.

Also, for what it's worth, Nintendo sees the same amount of money from a pirated copy as they do a secondhand physical copy.

Thanks for the advice guys, think I'll go with the SNES version of Super Mario World and get the GBA version down the road. Really can't wait for Fusion next week as I've never played it. Now I need to finish Super Metroid over the next few days. Can't wait to put SMB3 on my 3DS.

These are terrible comparisons. The closest comparison is the already available digital copy which costs zero dollars in US or Canadian money. I'm not condoning piracy or suggesting people choose that route, but if you're being realistic that's Nintendo's competition here. They need to make a product at a price that's more compelling than a free download that works on your computer or your phone, and they seem to be failing at doing that.

Also, for what it's worth, Nintendo sees the same amount of money from a pirated copy as they do a secondhand physical copy.

This is an interesting perspective.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
While we're doing feature requests, please please please PLEASE let Golden Sun: Lost Age (when it's released) connect to your Golden Sun save file. I really don't want to record a 64 digit password anymore (that doesn't work when I input it, but I already sold the game and can't get the password again :| ).

their solution to that problem will be to not release Lost Age at all.

Since their next-gen architecture will be shared across consoles and portables, and will be able to "absorb the Wii U architecture" (note: not the 3DS architecture), putting them on Wii U is effectively the same thing as making them cross-playable.

We just won't see the benefits for 3-4 years.

I'm not so sure Nintendo is going to leave Wii U on life support for that long, and I definitely don't see them not introducing a new portable within the next two years. At most, I would say we'll see Nintendo's new hardware cycle in the next 1-2 years.

Lebon14

Golden Sun. F*CK YEAH.
Day one purchase.

...even if I already have the cartridges and a DS lite to play it. TLA will also be a Day one purchase whenever it comes out. Wanna give some money to Camelot to make the 4th game.

@Pociask I think NintendoLife had an article saying (very recent article, today I believe) that there would be no multiplayer because MP relies on cables. Since GS and TLA relies on cable for the easy transfer... Yep. You gonna need to copy the whole Gold code. It sucks I know; especially when some chars are easily mistaken with another.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
£6.29 is rather high but I suppose there are a handful of GBA games I don't own where I'd consider paying that much (eg. Mother 3). The likelihood of these being released on the VC any time soon are slim though.

So SMB3 is finally being released in the US simultaneously on the Wii U and 3DS. And it's around the time we should get the next Direct. Maybe that's when they'll announce cross buy?

That's got to be the reason NoA postponed SMB3's release so much, right?

I doubt they even went as far to remove any multiplayer functionality in the games, since these are ROM dumps for the most part. There's just nothing in the emulator that would enable some kind of wireless play between Wii Us, whether online or locally.

One way to get it to work (without offering online multiplayer) is for one player to play on the gamepad while the second player uses the TV. Surely the Wii U should be powerful enough to run GBA emulation twice at the same time?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I dont get the price complains, this is amazing games worth much more than most 60$ AAA releases. If anything, considering the quality of the games, they are more like too low.

I don't think I've ever seen such a goldmine blundered so horribly by a company. Nintendo you are losing out on so much money by completely fucking up the Virtual Console.

Ridley327

Forgot you may be in the US which makes my statement erroneous.

Still, Japan is doing them, as is Europe. Hell, Japan has a cool one for this. Buy one GBA title and you can get all the rest at 30% off (until April 6th)

NoA does VC promotions fairly often, too.

Limited to just a few games at a time, so nothing storewide, but we get them.

Top Bottom