• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need confirmation: PS5 will output 4K resolution on 1440p PC monitor (HDMI 2.0)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

unknown.png

ethomaz

Banned
What the issue here?

In 1440p monitor if it accept 4k signal the PS5 will send a 4k signal... the monitor downscale to 1440p.
That is how it works on PS4 Pro too.

It will only use 1080p if your monitor can't receive 4k signal (very few old 1440p monitors).

Why should you want a 1080p signal instead 4k signal? You will have a better image quality downscaling to 1440p than upscaling to 1440p.

Last edited:

chonga

There's no "rumour" or "needs confirmation" here.

Some monitors will take in a source above their resolution and downsample it. And some don't.

This person has a monitor that does.

Move along now.

jose4gg

As far as my knowledge in monitors goes, and it does not go very far, I think every HDMI 2.0 is capable of receiving 4K signals and downscale it to the final resolution.

Poppyseed

Correct. This is as expected. The issue is when you have a slightly older monitor (I have an Acer Predator XB271HU 165hz 1440p) with HDMI 1.4. I wish I could pick 1440p specifically on PS5 like I can on the Series X.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
What the issue here?

In 1440p monitor if it accept 4k signal the PS5 will send a 4k signal... the monitor downscale to 1440p.

It will only use 1080p if your monitor can't receive 4k signal (very few old 1440p monitors).

Why should you want a 1080p signal instead 4k signal? You will have a better image quality downscaling to 1440p than upscaling to 1440p.
As far as my knowledge in monitors goes, and it does not go very far, I think every HDMI 2.0 is capable of receiving 4K signals and downscale it to the final resolution.

I have an Acer Nitro VG270UP with the latest screen slab that have HDR, it support HDMI 2.0 and 4K@60HZ of course

unknown.png

But I CAN'T GET THE PS4 PRO TO WORK AT FUCKING 4K.
Please don't tell me this is old news, or it's only not working on "very few old screens", there is plenty of other people that struggling with this.
Support for 1440p screens from the get go should be here from day one, not "if people are interested"

What the issue here?

Many, many monitors doesn't work like that. Or scaling is so poor that you don't want to use it. Scaling was always the problem of the monitors.

jaysius

Banned
Damn, did he lose the panel lottery in that or are all those Dell monitors so bloomy in the corners? That looks awful, maybe it's just the PS5's UI style though?

Damn, did he lose the panel lottery in that or are all those Dell monitors so bloomy in the corners? That looks awful, maybe it's just the PS5's UI style though?
Pretty sure it's because phone-shot, maybe with flash. Dells are poor with contrast but not like that, and you won't see it on bright content.

Top Bottom