• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New research exposes health risks of fructose, sugary drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

There is compelling evidence that drinking too many sugar-sweetened beverages, which contain added sugars in the form of high fructose corn syrup or table sugar (sucrose), can lead to excess weight gain and a greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease

We needed a new study to confirm this? I thought this has been known for like...10 years at least.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm glad we're getting a more nuanced discussion.

I really like David Katz from Yale take on this.

Perils of a Sugar-Coated Scapegoat
Yeah, I'm already seeing it happen with fructose is poison stuff. I think with food, people have trouble understanding that there is no perfect answer. Even the foods that the human body evolved to eat can cause issues over time, because we're not built to be immortal or something.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Went a few months drinking nothing but water so I could shed some pounds off my gut, I tried a Dr. Pepper the other day and it made me want to almost vomit.

Looking back, I can't even imagine why I was obsessed with sweets and junk as a kid. They just taste awful to me now.

I did the same thing! I allowed myself tea or coffee with a splash of milk though.

I had an Arizona Green Tea the other day, a drink I used to love and could chug endlessly not more than a year or so ago, and it did taste very, very sweet.

All pop, i.e. things like Dr Pepper, Coke and Mountain Dew, is an absolute no-go for me now. Even fruit juice feels very naughty.

I recently cut sugar. Not all together, there its in store foods and such, but I stooped the energy drinks and coke/dr pepper for lunch. I actually feel like I have more energy now. Every once in a while I'll get a sugar drink, which is fine I guess, but its usually just flavor packets from walmart for me to get my caffeine.

The only thing I really hold against my parents was having coke and Gatorade constantly for me to drink. No wonder I got fat. But when you are a kid you don't know better. You are a simple mind and get addicted to the sugar and caffeine. I wish my mom would have been stern on me about it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So what about stuff like MiO?

mio.jpg

Now the question is, would the long-term benefits of improved health offset the economical damage caused by reduced corn/HFCS purchasing?

Pros: Improved health, reduced sick days, improved productivity, reduced healthcare costs/expenditures, reduced government spending on Medicare/Medcaid.
Cons: Agriculture industry gets hit which will have ripple effects on other industries as people are laid off/fired.

A thorough cost-benefit analysis of the effects of reducing/banning the consumption of added-sugar beverages (sodas, juices, etc.) would be very interesting, I think.

Subsidising healthy vegetable (dark greens etc) and fruit production, instead of the nutritionaly deficient cash crops (corn etc), would represent a huge benefit for Americans (from reduced cost and nutrition gains) and job numbers might actually go up, as I don't believe you can presently mechanize the harvesting of healthy vegetables (broccoli etc) to anywhere near the same degree as corn.

Yeah, the cost of pop would go up, but I'm sure the free market would ensure prices wouldn't be astronomical, and if the price increase reduced pop consumption, all the better. In Europe, where they use actual sugar in soda, despite sugar production not being subsidised to anything like corn is over here, soda is still relatively inexpensive.

I only have a small soda (Dr Pibb), once a week, at the cinema (gearing up for The Martian :) - hopefully in 3D), and for many years, stopped adding sugar to tea (with dash of 2%) and real coffee (no milk). In hotter months, drink plenty of iced water.

Pro Tip: buy Free Trade, Organic Cane Sugar, such as Tate & Lyle's, because, as it costs perhaps double the regular refined variety, you use it sparingly. E.g. I now use only 1/3 of a cup in my banana bread (awesome, inexpensive and reasonably healthy snack - using unbleached, whole wheat flour, pasture raised organic eggs etc), along with three large bananas (ideally organic (currently only 69c / pound), matured for one week).

M-PG71C

I drink either water, hot tea, or Diet Coke. I haven't had a sugar beverage in many years, and I have no reason to go back. Actually, I have not had a whole lot of way in sugar in quite some time considering nearly everything pre-packaged has it. It's so easy to gain weight in American culture.

I mean, a jar of spaghetti sauce has HFCS in it. :/

diffusionx

Gold Member
The problem isn't so much the soda, it's treating soda like water and drinking it nonstop, and then eating like an American. I might drink 1-2 cans of soda a week. As my food has gotten healthier, I've definitely noticed the sweetness of a lot of foods.

I wish I was you. I've been drinking 6 cans of coke every day since I was 12. Never gets old, and the longer I try to quit for the better it tastes. It's cost me so much in dental fees it's amazing, at least 20k. And on top of that weight issues, possible diabetes... fuck, it's terrible.

Yet I wake up in the middle of the night and need one. If I don't have any, I'll get in the car and drive as far as it takes to get one, then I can sleep again. It's probably an addiction at this point.

I'm not going to live past 50, am I? :(

Start by drinking 5 cans a day. Do that for a while - a month, six months, whatever it takes to get comfortable. Then go down to 4. Etc. The point is just to cut down to a point you can reasonably live with and go from there. Even if it's just one less can it's a big improvement.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I wish I was you. I've been drinking 6 cans of coke every day since I was 12. Never gets old, and the longer I try to quit for the better it tastes. It's cost me so much in dental fees it's amazing, at least 20k. And on top of that weight issues, possible diabetes... fuck, it's terrible.

Yet I wake up in the middle of the night and need one. If I don't have any, I'll get in the car and drive as far as it takes to get one, then I can sleep again. It's probably an addiction at this point.

I'm not going to live past 50, am I? :(

You see major negatives in your life based on Coke consumption and you refuse to quit yet you say it is "probably" an addiction.

Waking up in the middle of the night with an unfightable craving for Coke is insanity. You legitimately need professional help.

Kenstar

mio.jpg

Mio's 100% fine bro, know that it and any other sugar-free water flavor powder/mix has citric acid that lowers the PH of the water, so it's not good for your teeth (low ph in the mouth is bad for enamel), so drink it and be done with it instead of constant sipping for prolonged time is the best advice.

gutshot

I am also a little confound as to how people drink pop and juice as a "drink", replacing water. A good rule of thumb is to treat water as a drink, and treat anything else as dessert.

Define "long time". A week? A month?

In my most recent attempt to drink pop, I had 1/4 can of ginger ale before I felt ill. This is most certainly not "bullshit".

I am the guy who used to drink 2 litres of pop a day.

I did a month long fast of soda and fast food. The stuff didn't taste any worse nor did I feel like I was going to throw up once I came back to it.

I guess I'm just different though if other people are saying they experience this same vomit-inducing reaction to sugary drinks after a long time off of them. I'm glad though, because I can't imagine eating something like a nice slice of pizza without a cold Coke.

darscot

I saw a news story on this the other day, I'm in Canada and typically avoid American News but a show must have ended and it came on. They do voice over of how dangerous sugary drinks are and the video playing just zooms in on diet beverages. Me and my wife both laughed so hard it was so blatantly biased and trying to make it appear that the diet drinks have this issue. I don't understand how your news can be so misleading and false.

Looks like I'm going to have to go cold turkey.

For some crazy reason, I had it in my mind that cane sugar wasn't as bad. I'm now wondering why I ever thought such a thing.

Sugar affects the pleasure centers in the brain as do many drugs. After a while the dopamine receptors in the brain begin to thin out or reduce due to overloading per se. That's likely what leads to people to overdose while on drugs as they need more to get the same high. The dopamine receptors can revert back to normal but this takes time. However, you need to go cold turkey as you would do if you were hooked on drugs. After a while your sensitivity for sweetness in foods will go back to normal as your taste buds/brain is no longer desensitized.

I plan to go cold turkey on foods with added flour or sugar for the month of October and hopefully try to make it a lifestyle change. I would like to ditch sweeteners entirely but I do use Stevia from time to time. We'll see if I keep that.

Kenstar

Cranberry juice is never 100% cranberry juice (much too tart). It's always mixed with water, other juices, and/or HFCS/sugar.

Yep, if you see a 100% juice on a cranberry juice bottle its mostly 100% apple juice or some other juice with a little 100% cranberry juice for flavor. Real Cranberry juice is a deep nearly purple red, not the light bright palatable red mix that most people drink

Went a few months drinking nothing but water so I could shed some pounds off my gut, I tried a Dr. Pepper the other day and it made me want to almost vomit.

Looking back, I can't even imagine why I was obsessed with sweets and junk as a kid. They just taste awful to me now.
Same except this was more than a decade ago with soda and fruit juice, exclusively drink water save for cola at special occasions. It's too much! I can almost feel my teeth dying on the inside.

Thing is if you want to life 100% healthy you basically can eat all fruits, all vegetables, dairy, nuts, fish, lean meat and poultry.. for the rest of your life.

FTFY

Also watch out for the "whole grain" deception on labels. Once you've taken the whole grain and ground it down to a powder form, the starch [or sugar] in it becomes readily accessible just like other simple sugars. It's really no longer a whole grain once you've ground it down to flour.

Kenstar

FTFY

Also watch out for the "whole grain" deception on labels. Once you've taken the whole grain and ground it down to a powder form, the starch [or sugar] in it becomes readily accessible just like other simple sugars. It's really no longer a whole grain once you've ground it down to flour.

You don't understand Dr. FOODBABE SAID it was a SUPERFOOD and will reverse my cancer and stop the autism from vaccines we are FORCED to get

captainpat

damn, I can't believe it's 2015 and we don't have shit that low in sugar and taste decent, at least without a lot of preparation.

FTFY

I wouldn't consider that the primary deception.

As long as you are going to eat grain-based foods, whole grains are the way to go.

The problem is whether it's truly 100% whole grain or not.

Good video on this topic here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=zwO855GU01Q

(Possibly NSFW??)

Alternate reading: http://scoobysworkshop.com/all-about-bread/

sikkinixx

Must be awful for people on here who have to live an all or nothing lifestyle. A can of Coke once in a while won't destroy you.

Oh yeah. Might as well share this idea.

This won't work for everybody, but I managed to almost 99% quit soda by doing this:

I went to the store, bought my favorite kind of soda (at the time it was Tahitian Treat). I took it home, and then poured the entire bottle into the sink.

Admittedly I fell off the wagon a few times (WaWa and their damn 79 cent super fountain drinks after a long night at work) but doing this made a huge difference in my soda intake.

way more

Old news.

But what about things like Coca-Cola Zero?

It lies. With it's deceitful nature it pretends to be actual sugar and fools your body. I haven't had a Coke in 15 years and just seeing someone drink it makes me nauseous. It really is a better lifestyle.

way more

mio.jpg

Well, in Mio Fit they use Propylene Glycol.

Mio-Fit_281high.jpg

And propylene glycol is found in some types of anti-freeze.

And anti-freeze was used as a de-icer on the flight of American Eagle Flight 4184.

disaster2009.FedEx08.7.jpg

So no, not unless you want to crash and die in a field, it's not good for you.

Mio-Fit_281high.jpg

And propylene glycol is found in some types of anti-freeze.

And anti-freeze was used as a de-icer on the flight of American Eagle Flight 4184.

disaster2009.FedEx08.7.jpg

But is propylene glycol the ingredient that makes anti-freeze delicious?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

This is nothing but fear mongering. There is no evidence that propylene glycol is harmful in the amounts that are in foods.

Kenstar

It lies. With it's deceitful nature it pretends to be actual sugar and fools your body. I haven't had a Coke in 15 years and just seeing someone drink it makes me nauseous. It really is a better lifestyle.

It doesn't 'fool your body' anymore than putting lots of ice or sugary drinks into booze to make it go down easier: They trick your tastebuds, your body has more reliable ways of knowing how to deal with things than what you happen to think you're tasting.

This is nothing but fear mongering. There is no evidence that propylene glycol is harmful in the amounts that are in foods.

I think he's joking

Loki

Count of Concision
When trying to find chocolate/snacks which had actual sugar and not HFCS recently, I was shocked to find that it is damn near impossible to find any. I mean, at least give people options.

Better stop eating those planters honey roasted peanuts.

Actually, I'm no dietician, but I'd think the fat and fiber in those babies would slow down the digestion enough that the sugar wouldn't be a huge deal.

Or at least that's how I'm going to rationalize eating them because you're making me hungry for them and I'll probably pick some up now.

Hexa

I drink a good amount of sugary drinks but I'm slightly underweight anyway since I don't eat that much other stuff. Does that mean that continuing to drink these drinks will contribute to diabetes and cardiovascular disease or am I probably fine?

I wouldn't consider that the primary deception.

As long as you are going to eat grain-based foods, whole grains are the way to go.

The problem is whether it's truly 100% whole grain or not.

Good video on this topic here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=zwO855GU01Q

(Possibly NSFW??)

Alternate reading: http://scoobysworkshop.com/all-about-bread/

Ok, maybe I went too far. It is not incorrect to say that the product itself is made from whole grain. However, in it's later processed form it's no longer a whole grain. Many just aren't educated on what is lost in the transition from whole grain to end product processed food.

Arkeband

Banned
I tend to get massive migraines whenever I drink or eat anything containing HFCS.

I tried experimenting by having a glass of Hawaiian Punch (aka pure flavored HFCS) and the next day I was debilitated. Then I tried cutting it out of my diet entirely, like looking for it in breads, in spaghetti sauce, in everything, and my migraines went away entirely.

So something's funky with HFCS, whether it's the super concentration of sugar causing my body to shit a brick or something else, it has a visible, non-placebo effect by avoiding it.

And I've been having migraines for years and thinking back, my diet had pretty much always included HFCS-rich foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom