• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyMP3

I was in CEX the other day, buying Star Wars : Fallen Order for my brother. Guy behind the counter told me it's a great game. I remarked that I was waiting to play it on the PS5, in the hope the PS5 will use Pro mode (60fps). I also said it was funny how MS and Sony are playing chicken with one another over release dates and prices.

Guy told me Sony's actually terrified of MS right now, due to them having a better console and because it's clear MS are going to win this time around.

Had to work hard on not saying, "Okay, Craig".
It's almost as if a random CEX drone has no idea of the global market!
Oh wait... It's CeX 😂

ZywyPL

Banned
I would call it dualsense exclusive.
And being dualsense exclusive made it PS5 exclusive. But im pretty sure that it would run on PS4 just fine.

Its not a game. Just gimmick.

There is no way PS4 could load the levels that fast, even with replaced SSD. I don't think they would bother to port the entire game to PC just for a few minute Dual Sense demonstration either. PS Now is also a no-go since it's 720p, and there was absolutely zero input-lag in Geoff's playthrough. It had to be running running on the PS5, there's no other way around it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
consoles are gonna be expensive

Who is rich in here, i need a sugar daddy fast.

I am 21, blonde, huge knockers, legs all the way to heaven, a virgin honest, + a nympo. prepared to complete your achievements in spare time

going to advertise on Craigslist, no wait I hate that fucking name.

Aghh nevermind. "lollipop_disappointed:

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

zaitsu

Banned
There is no way PS4 could load the levels that fast, even with replaced SSD. I don't think they would bother to port the entire game to PC just for a few minute Dual Sense demonstration either. PS Now is also a no-go since it's 720p, and there was absolutely zero input-lag in Geoff's playthrough. It had to be running running on the PS5, there's no other way around it.
You realize how much bigger GOT is and how fast it loads on PS4 with HDD ?

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It's built by Sucker Punch, not 343i. The loading in HDD PS4 is already insane.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I think it wouldn't work well with virtualisation which Xbox heavily relies on. It's something very few people talk about but virtualisation always has performance penalties. We've heard that XSX-based server blade will be able to run 4 virtual instances of X1S. Why just 4 if that console is just 1.4 TF? Because of virtualisation and other limitations of hardware besides its TF count.
I guess it is more a problem with the CPU then the GPU.
If you run 4 instances of XBox One S on a Xbox Series X CPU, 2 Zen2 cores with 4 threads have to do the work of 8 Jaguar cores.
I think that 2 new cores doing the work of 8 old ones without performance penalty is already quite impressive, despite the higher clocks and better cores

Imagine that same demo on the new Xbox, that tunnel would be over 20 seconds long. :goog_halo:

The troll got trolled.

AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A FISH

SHAMEFUL :messenger_grimmacing_
:messenger_beaming:
nice attempt fishy, and ima give you an A+ for effort
but
you should learn your place in the maritime food chain ,

iu

and learn it while you still can :messenger_beaming:

here's a video of xbox loading from in-game state of decay to in-game forza 7

forza 7 is about 98GB, load time to in-game is less than 7s

:messenger_winking:

Incorrect, that is the time the developers decided to show the tunnel travel. You do not know how quick the part loaded.
:messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming:

:messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming:

as I already said, don't try to troll me you guys, because my responses will be equal to stealing a church

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
:messenger_beaming:
nice attempt fishy, and ima give you an A+ for effort
but
you should learn your place in the maritime food chain ,

iu

and learn it while you still can :messenger_beaming:

here's a video of xbox loading from in-game state of decay to in-game forza 7

forza 7 is about 98GB, load time to in-game is less than 7s

:messenger_winking:

The tears will flow when those quick loading screens come out.

And I am a freshwater species, not some sardine breath smelling depth dweller.

DaGwaphics

I think it wouldn't work well with virtualisation which Xbox heavily relies on. It's something very few people talk about but virtualisation always has performance penalties. We've heard that XSX-based server blade will be able to run 4 virtual instances of X1S. Why just 4 if that console is just 1.4 TF? Because of virtualisation and other limitations of hardware besides its TF count.

I assume they would be using some form of direct hardware hypervisor, which is very cheap from an overhead perspective, it does require that they can mimic the old hardware. CU counts, max work done at clock by the ROPs, would all be factored into how many 1S systems the chip could emulate. TF being just one small piece of the equation.

Gamerguy84

Lol I admit I have lost patience. Its only because I realized were just about done with August.

Could these consoles really be 2.5 months away? New consoles only come out years apart so its exciting.

It doesnt feel like it because we dont have granular news like price points or guaranteed games. On the other hand there is no better time than mid November to put your expensive toys out.

sircaw

Banned
hey, no news is good news for ps5 fans :ppPPp

I can tell you that demon's souls remake is definitely going to be launch window. could even be a console launch game

if you are going to bring up Mac, do it properly

the hint was in CAN WE HAVE SOME NEWS,
SECOND HAND NEWS

DAMMIT, not shark fin soup again.

but on a serious note, he is jamming crazy like. pretty damn awesome

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
I assume they would be using some form of direct hardware hypervisor, which is very cheap from an overhead perspective, it does require that they can mimic the old hardware. CU counts, max work done at clock by the ROPs, would all be factored into how many 1S systems the chip could emulate. TF being just one small piece of the equation.
IIRC, X1 uses software Hyper-V. If XSX was to use a hardware solution, wouldn't it be visible in the Hot Chips diagrams?

sircaw

Banned
Lol I admit I have lost patience. Its only because I realized were just about done with August.

Could these consoles really be 2.5 months away? New consoles only come out years apart so its exciting.

It doesnt feel like it because we dont have granular news like price points or guaranteed games. On the other hand there is no better time than mid November to put your expensive toys out.

I feel ya man, and not in that fucking way, fucking perverts on this forum.
@looking at you Coulomb_Barrier Coulomb_Barrier .

Very tired of the way both companies have been.

I used to play diablo1/2/3 a lot back in the day, and its like the same feeling i get from blizzard, you wait years for them to actually show you something, then when they do, they showed that damn phone game.

Random acquisition musings for Sony since it's always something to ponder as a new gen begins. I know it's not always a popular topic of discussion but it is a reality of this business and we've already seen plenty of companies get acquired during this gen and that will only continue next gen. So just a few scenarios...

1. Was thinking about this a while back but I think Sony should make a move to acquire Kadokawa. They're already investing heavily in anime to make it a new core pillar for their overall business so Kadokawa would fit perfectly with that. An added bonus would be they'd also be acquiring From Software which would be a big get given how popular their style of games are. They'd pick up a ton of other businesses with Kadokawa, but a lot of them seem like they could slot right into Sony's existing businesses.

2. Still curious if Leyou is on the table for a potential acquisition. Tencent has an exclusive window for negotiation (3 months, IIRC) and as far as I'm aware talks are still ongoing. If things don't work out for Tencent then I wonder if Sony is still interested in bidding on them. It would add a few new studios to Sony's portfolio and help further get their foot into the Chinese market which we already know they're working on with the China Hero Project. Rumor had it that it would be Sony itself and not SIE that would be placing the bid so Leyou could potentially become an independent entity under the Sony umbrella, not necessarily under PlayStation, but no doubt they'd work together heavily.

3. Then there's WB Games. We don't know if WB games is actually going to be sold or not yet, or if Sony's interested at all if they are being sold. If both of those are true then it could be an interesting get for Sony if they can secure a very lengthy licensing deal for IP. We know AT&T is looking to offload companies to help hammer down their massive debt. The 4 billion they're rumored to be asking is pretty damn ludicrous but we also know Sony's currently in talks to acquire Crunchyroll from them for upwards of 1.5 billion dollars. If WB Games is being sold and Sony's interested then maybe that opens up the door for some sort of package deal to get WB Games and Crunchyroll for a price that both makes sense and still makes AT&T happy. If this were to happen then maybe WB Games could become a separate entity under Sony like the Leyou scenario so jobs would be maintained and they'd still have the freedom to put content on other platforms if they chose to when it makes sense.

4. Then we have a laundry list of partners Sony normally works with where people have been speculating about acquisitions for the longest time. That list includes Bluepoint, Arrowhead, Housemarque, Sumo Digital, Kojima Productions and more. We don't know if Sony has any plans to make a move for any of these companies anytime soon, but we've seen plenty of other smaller devs get hoovered up by Microsoft, Facebook, Stadia, Tencent, THQ Nordic and other publishers lately. Sony's got good working relationships with these studios so maybe it's time to put a ring on it and make it official.

Right now the only one we know Sony was ready to put a bid on was Leyou and that would've cost over a billion dollars. We do know from insiders (iirc Zhuge and one or two others) that last year they were putting out feelers for Remedy, but since Remedy recently signed a deal with Epic Games for their next 2 games I think it's obvious that won't be happening anytime soon. Their acquisition of Insomniac was a great move but the knowledge that they were showing interest in Remedy and Leyou tells us they still want to keep expanding. I'm curious how soon we might hear about more acquisition moves.
WB games are all GAAS now. Let them go to 3rd party. We don't want any of that shit.

FeiRR

Banned
I like this one better.

4e6fb316c121a7a7a5edfbbdbd47958a.jpg

I know some people are crapping on FS2020 visuals but remember it's not like the entire world is hand crafted like many other openworld games. Plus FS2020 is designed to look good from far away not up close.

Crazy system requirements though.
If we're talking about real places in games, I think The Division 2 is unsurpassed. I love games set in real environments.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Even though i have a family and lots of friends i'm very anti social myself... yet i spend more time playing MP games than anything else lately. Maybe it gives me the social outlet online that i don't want in person? I dunno.

One of my best friends is also anti social yet he won't touch a MP for anything and wishes they would die out completely.

Different strokes for different folks i guess, nothing wrong with preferring one thing or the other. 👍

Why would anyone be anti-social though? Of course, not my call. Lately, I rarely hang out with my friends, COVID is one small reason. But you can throw me anywhere and I'll be making new friends in no time. Being anti-social is hindering, we're only living for a short time. Don't draw boundaries, it helps in the long run.

For social media, I don't like them that much for example, but maybe you think you're anti-social and yet you're not? There are many great people out there, don't lose faith on humanity. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

IIRC, X1 uses software Hyper-V. If XSX was to use a hardware solution, wouldn't it be visible in the Hot Chips diagrams?

Hyper-V hypervisor is considered a full hardware virtualization platform, it's not container based. I assume both the CPU and the GPU here support AMD-V in some form.

The biggest juggling act here is the CPU, they must have a slick system for emulating 4 processors with 8 threads. Saved by the low IPC of jaguar I guess.

what are you trying to say? That Flight Sim is not coming to Xbox?
It's already confirmed to be released on Xbox one and Xbox Series X. The date hasn't been announced though, but it will 100% come to Xbox. It's confirmed.

In fact, Xbox is the leading platform for this game, it's developed for xbox first and then optimized for PC:

"By the way, the Xbox will help us to optimize the product, so it will also be a benefit for PC. There is nothing PC will lose from the Xbox. It's basically the opposite. We're doing the work to have a better experience on the Xbox family, then we will improve the PC version."

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-issues-update-flight-simulator-2020-xbox-one-release

Crazy that this cross-gen game is still the best looking and most impressive nextgen experience we have seen so far at all.
Not sure of that. They won't release exclusively on PC first if the game is ready for Xbox. Also, this doesn't seem to be possible on XOne. Maybe OneX but not the base model.

I won't be surprised if this doesn't release on console.

Also the complete game costs more than $120. What the fuck?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A lot of people are anti-social for a myriad of reasons and it's not always a choice unfortunately. Some people have mental health issues that don't make it easy, others just enjoy time alone.

I enjoy my time alone as well. Anti-social, as I understand it, is having difficulties dealing with strangers, either being too shy, or just don't like to. I rarely hang out with friends and people lately (COVID is one reason), but it's extremely easy for me to interact and even joke with complete strangers. :messenger_winking_tongue:

BTW, Lampard is still Ole's bitch.:messenger_bicep::messenger_smiling_horns: GGMU

A lot of people are anti-social for a myriad of reasons and it's not always a choice unfortunately. Some people have mental health issues that don't make it easy, others just enjoy time alone.
I'm learning that it's better to be anti than extremely social. You have to deal with everyone's ego and mental issues when super social. Anyway, no new news? This all really is getting redundant, I can't believe these systems will be on sale in November $!$

Lampard

Neo Member
I enjoy my time alone as well. Anti-social, as I understand it, is having difficulties dealing with strangers, either being too shy, or just don't like to. I rarely hang out with friends and people lately (COVID is one reason), but it's extremely easy for me to interact and even joke with complete strangers. :messenger_winking_tongue:

BTW, Lampard is still Ole's bitch.:messenger_bicep::messenger_smiling_horns: GGMU
Haha Ole didn't have much to say after the FAC loss

DaGwaphics

I'm learning that it's better to be anti than extremely social. You have to deal with everyone's ego and mental issues when super social. Anyway, no new news? This all really is getting redundant, I can't believe these systems will be on sale in November $!$

I honestly think that both are just apprehensive about the price. They want us as tired as possible before attempting the final reel in. LOL

Bo_Hazem

Banned

You can't be social and shy at the same time though, you need to be straight forward and frank as some might try to take advantage of you in any kind you might think of. Meaning you don't need to bend and say yes/ok to something that you don't like, and say fuck off when needed as well. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Pedro Motta

I like this one better.

4e6fb316c121a7a7a5edfbbdbd47958a.jpg

I know some people are crapping on FS2020 visuals but remember it's not like the entire world is hand crafted like many other openworld games. Plus FS2020 is designed to look good from far away not up close.

Crazy system requirements though.
wow, you got me there chief. In case you don't understand irony let me explain. FS2020 is an incredible game, incredible looking flight sim, definitely one of the best visuals this year, but, it's NOT NEXT GEN. And yes it's not designed to look up close and THATS WHY you don't need a next gen SSD to play it on a pc.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Haha Ole didn't have much to say after the FAC loss

I highly respect Lampard as a player, and as a coach. He's definitely one of the best English players of all times. Sad England weren't lucky in the World Cup/Euro Cup. But a new great generation is now in the making, probably even better than the previous golden one.

sircaw

Banned
I prefer the Real Fleetwood Mac.

I said the REAL Fleetwood Mac!

Perfection!

Talking about birds, i do like Simon and Garfunkel a lot, although i feel like i am on suicide watch after listening to them too much.
I do particularly love this song, it is a bit depressing mind you, just love the storytelling aspect of it.

FeiRR

Banned
Not sure of that. They won't release exclusively on PC first if the game is ready for Xbox. Also, this doesn't seem to be possible on XOne. Maybe OneX but not the base model.

I won't be surprised if this doesn't release on console.

Also the complete game costs more than $120. What the fuck?
It's not complete. I've watched a few vids from actual pilots doing reviews and they complain that this edition doesn't have Boeing 737, the most ubiquitous passenger plane ever (previous versions had it). If you're a pilot, you learn how to fly only one, maybe two big planes in your career so it's a valid complaint for them because they can't really fly a plane in a realistic mode if it's not their model. Another company's going to release that plane next year... for a significant price. I've also learnt that flying a bigger plane has severe impact on FPS. Even fast PCs struggle around 20 FPS with an Airbus 320, for example. One of the reasons why most people do videos while flying a Cessna. It's also easy to fly, of course.

wow, you got me there chief. In case you don't understand irony let me explain. FS2020 is an incredible game, incredible looking flight sim, definitely one of the best visuals this year, but, it's NOT NEXT GEN. And yes it's not designed to look up close and THATS WHY you don't need a next gen SSD to play it on a pc.

Because essentially your streaming in assets that are limited by your internet connection. It's why I believe the ram requirements are so high in the first place.

JonnyMP3

Talking about birds, i do like Simon and Garfunkel a lot, although i feel like i am on suicide watch after listening to them too much.
I do particularly love this song, it is a bit depressing mind you, just love the storytelling aspect of it.

My mum got me into Simon and Garfunkel. The Sound of Silence is my personal favourite but I absolutely adore this one for the simplistic beauty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom