• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

I guess, if anyone here posted it, I missed the post where Foxy Games UK guy on Twitter (I refuse to post links to "insiders" these days) claims he spent nearly an hour hands on with a PS5... had to sign an NDA embargoed to a specific date... mentions limited quantities of the console which there won't be enough of to go around.

Well, it's plausible I guess. He also had a tweet mentioning something about "8 days" and "PS5"......

Either he's right on, or I will never believe another thing this guy says ever again, even in passing.
Foxy hasn't been tight about much, but didn't a tweet get posted last week that UK "imfluencers" were being invited to a showcase? Foxy could have been invited.

He just released a video. Grains of salt, but I timestamped on what he has heard/seen

Neo Blaster

I'd like to add that the reason as to why Consoles have never deployed this strategy before could simply be because nobody had yet figured out a way to have a console running on variable clocks in a deterministic way so as to not impact game performance depending on external factors?
Maybe with Zen 2/RDNA2 at 7nm they finally reached the necessary power efficiency to use variable/high clocks without blowing/melting the damn thing.

Neo Blaster

Honestly I don't need to watch someone open up the console and take it apart in tiny pieces. What I want is an extensive article about all the custom stuff we are still not all that clear about. More info about the Geometry Engine, what can it do, how will it help. It has to have Checkerboard rendering support due to PS4 Pro BC but did they enhance it, did they add more of these type of tricks, is that why many games looked to be 4k but secretly weren't because of some new magical technique. How is PSVR supported, do we need the breakout box and will I lose HDR again when doing so (still have the first model). We need a very long and extensive interview with Cerny for this.

Am hoping for another Wired article or somesuch....

I also would love to know all the details about the UI, how indeed does BC work, show us some BC games, talk to us and show us patches for some of the more recent PS4 games.

So much to show and tell still and I can't fricking wait to know it all!
I have to agree, the only thing I'd like to see the looks is the cooling solution. Other than that, I'd prefer an extensive disclose of its resources and functions like they did in Hot Chips.

He just released a video. Grains of salt, but I timestamped on what he has heard/seen

The good thing about all this is that he said the press was there so we would find out if he's lying or not from official sources.

I know alot of people say he isn't credible but if he screws this up he won't recover. I really hope he isn't dropping BS on us because that will cause him permanent damage to his channel.

Nowcry

Smartshift is a system to distribute the energy between the GPU and the CPU, the necessary energy has a direct relationship with the clocks but also with the code to be executed. You can have the clocks to the maximum without executing code, it will continue without processing and therefore without working. a lot happens on a pc configured at maximum performance.

Ps5 could have the clocks to the maximum most of the time but if a code requires 120w in the cpu and this as a general rule is designed for 100W smartshift will be in charge of providing them, this in a machine without smartshift would be impossible and the code would have to be redesigned or give it up.

the sx is a machine with more Tflops and brute force, very similar to such a PC and is perfect for the MS bision as a platform just like the PC. However, PS5 is a more exotic machine that has distanced itself from the PC in order to offer maximum freedom to dev, for this sony has designed a system that tried to approach kings and has numerous cache and code optimization systems to be able to eliminate the necks of bottle that arise.

For this reason, although Xbox is a 12 Tflops machine and more powerful, in general if you press SX with a lot of data it will be much more inefficient than the PS5 which is bad since dev freedom is the main thing for a gamer, tflops have been until recently what gave them freedom for devs.

without a drastic I / O controller upgrade the Tflops were falling on deaf ears. game mechanics need to be improved and more complex geometries are needed for tflops to be effective again.

from 1080Ti to 2080Ti we have gone from 11Tflops to 17Tflops and we are basically the same. Without I / O controller we will be basically in the same generation.

I do not understand the lovers of tflops, the tflops are not being taken advantage of if we do not get a better geometry that complicates the calculations for the shaders and that really improves the graphics.

geometry and game mechanics >>>>> that resolution and effects.

I think we need to drop the fud and focus on the good things about the system that we like

if to feel good about our system we have to resort to fud over the other system, then something is really wrong with our system.

which seems to be the official way to defend xbox. Which speaks volumes for your product.

I would like an xbox of strong studies because I would buy them on pc and double enjoyment, however it seems that they will focus on games as a service, which end up being looter and tremendously repetitive games.

I think that this approach has made us lose big development studios and I hope that it doesn't become a fad that invades all studios.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The good thing about all this is that he said the press was there so we would find out if he's lying or not from official sources.

I know alot of people say he isn't credible but if he screws this up he won't recover. I really hope he isn't dropping BS on us because that will cause him permanent damage to his channel.

I have to say, if he is not being honest, that is a massive amount of very specific made up stuff there. I mean, sociopath levels of made up crap. It makes me want to think it's at least plausible.

Edit: OK, there's actually another Twitter handle, which I won't name that is named earlier in this thread that is providing so much very specific information, ... that person would be sociopath level of detail rather than FoxyGames UK. Foxy would just be an understudy to the other individual. (Hold back from naming the handle because I don't want to contribute clicks to them... Or, .. maybe they're just Voldemort).

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
And what's that constant fanboy narrative... Something something 'TFlops' again...

Exactly, fanboy narrative - why I cannot fight the feeling that MS has supposedly patented TFlops, so every talk about GPU performance is automatically pointing to XBX and marks you as a MS fanboy? This is exactly the narrative/attitude you mention, "he does not praise my plastic box, hence he obviously must be a fanboy of the opposite camp". So low, so pathetic.

vivftp

For someone who signed an NDA he certainly does seem to want to talk about it a lot. I'm a bit surprised such an NDA doesn't prevent him from referring to the event at all, and if it doesn't then I'm surprised none of these other people who were there are saying anything.

His info is certainly a step up in what he's claiming over the usual vague stuff he posts and will be verifiable by the others who were there whenever the embargo lifts. Still, there was that rumor about UK press getting to see something from Sony so this does fall in line with that. So yeah, cautiously optimistic that he's not exaggerating and is being truthful.

JTCx

And yes, TF do matter, just like HP in cars,
Not console related but when it comes to cars/racing in real world performance. HP isnt as important as you think. Its just a measurement of torque x rpm. What matters more is the power curve of the vehicles and so much more that i wont even get into just to keep it brief.

FeiRR

Banned
It's not that disastrous as one might think. The Gamepass will always be a lure and makes tons of gamers think 'Wow! 100 games for 10 bucks a month? I'm sold!' and yeah, I know it's on PC as well, but paying 300 bucks (I guess) to buy an XSS and then 10 bucks a month for dozens upon dozens of titles isn't anything to scoff at.
Game Pass has been there for how long, two years, more? Look at Xbox console sales. Does it sell them now? I've seen X1S AD piles in shops for 130 EUR. That's much less than 300 (if Lockhart costs that). They admitted having 10 million subs and that's with massive promotion. How many of those subs will stay for a year or longer, half maybe?

JonnyMP3

Exactly, fanboy narrative - why I cannot fight the feeling that MS has supposedly patented TFlops, so every talk about GPU performance is automatically pointing to XBX and marks you as a MS fanboy? This is exactly the narrative/attitude you mention, "he does not praise my plastic box, hence he obviously must be a fanboy of the opposite camp". So low, so pathetic.
So... You're definitely not an adult then.
Did you forget that you were the one to bring up Tflops again?

P.S. I've bolded the part of your post where you confirm yourself to be a hypocrite BTW. Getting infuriated because the mainstream World doesn't praise your chosen 'Toy box'.
So carry on talking about 'Sonygaf' like it's a secret society or something... I'll stick with reality.

saintjules

For someone who signed an NDA he certainly does seem to want to talk about it a lot. I'm a bit surprised such an NDA doesn't prevent him from referring to the event at all, and if it doesn't then I'm surprised none of these other people who were there are saying anything.

His info is certainly a step up in what he's claiming over the usual vague stuff he posts and will be verifiable by the others who were there whenever the embargo lifts. Still, there was that rumor about UK press getting to see something from Sony so this does fall in line with that. So yeah, cautiously optimistic that he's not exaggerating and is being truthful.

Yeah, I'd be curious on the clauses that were in this NDA. I have some experience with reading contracts. Some NDAs do vary with what can be said and for how long. At least we'll know if he's lying once we see the next event(s).

If foxygames UK is found to be fake, can we have a can of ass whooping on him? kidding at least can we not share anything at all that he posts, thanks!

ZywyPL

Banned
Not console related but when it comes to cars/racing in real world performance. HP isnt as important as you think. Its just a measurement of torque x rpm. What matters more is the power curve of the vehicles and so much more that i wont even get into just to keep it brief.

True, but the HP figure alone is a good indicator of the overall performance, hence it's the universally used metric.

Imtjnotu

its exactly this but but but that causes the groundhog day,
plus downplaying the differences:
bandwidth does not matter, teraflops dont matter, variable clocks dont matter, only ssd matters.
presenting the differences in the most insignificant way, THEN downplaying them even more.

- "teh least gap ever in console history, and ps5 is faster too! suck on that you fridge lovers!"

- "but, you know, 2 teraflops of rnda2 count at least as 3 teraflops of gcn, then its the bandwi..."

-"la la la cant hear you, craig says hi - la la la - based cerny's secret sauce gonna give it to you"

rinse & repeat :]
Just do me a favor and show me a game running on XSX. Show some game play

SaucyJack

I was in CEX the other day, buying Star Wars : Fallen Order for my brother. Guy behind the counter told me it's a great game. I remarked that I was waiting to play it on the PS5, in the hope the PS5 will use Pro mode (60fps). I also said it was funny how MS and Sony are playing chicken with one another over release dates and prices.

Guy told me Sony's actually terrified of MS right now, due to them having a better console and because it's clear MS are going to win this time around.

Had to work hard on not saying, "Okay, Craig".

Think that’s a minority view tbh. Been in various GAME and CEX stores over the last couple of weeks and in casual chit chat I’m fairly consistently hearing that interest in PS5 is much higher.

Its scary to think that they have not shown any of the big games running on XSX yet. I mean joking aside, this is weird right? Have we even heard that XSX is in mass production yet? (we have for PS5). Could a XSX delay be on the cards?

If there is a delay it will be because the software isn't ready for it. I mean they lost Halo Infinite no idea if they had any other delays.

It sounds believable. Some kind of NDA'd media event that took place prior to Gamescom, which takes place around the UK area right? I know Sony isn't there, but they obviously are planning to not let it slip by without action of some sort.

Why a random Twitter/YouTube would be invited to what seems to be a highly secretive event is beyond me, which is why I still feel like this is grandiose fiction in efforts for clout and channel growth.

If Foxy is fibbing, going to burn him at the stake I fear.

Last edited:
It sounds believable. Some kind of NDA'd media event that took place prior to Gamescom, which takes place around the UK area right? I know Sony isn't there, but they obviously are planning to not let it slip by without action of some sort.

Why a random Twitter/YouTube would be invited to what seems to be a highly secretive event is beyond me, which is why I still feel like this is grandiose fiction in efforts for clout and channel growth.

Gamescom is in Cologne,Germany. And NDA’s regardless of where or from who they’ve been signed for is something you never acknowledge, even in a tiny way. An NDA has a golden rule, never disclose you signed it and never disclose what it is or that you even signed it in the first place, if you do that you’ll be breaking one of the terms. Foxy is obviously so full of shit that it’s probable he doesn’t even remember how many times he’s been wrong. Not that he even cares to admit it anyway.

FeiRR

Banned

Gamescom is in Cologne, Germany. Not UK. Since air travel is still limited, it's just logical they're taking the show to the press. We should hear from other media outlets soon if such event happened.

NEbeast

Man I'd love if it was really the way you describe it, but unfortunately since PS5 specs reveal this place turned into SSDGaf, this day saw the biggest narrative shift in entire human history, since then every thread turns into SSD thread by the exact same insecure PS5 fanboys trying to paint their beloved console like it's the next most powerful thing on the planet next to a nuclear reactor, and they are so offensive with their campaign no wonder some people eventually have enough and get to the point when they are like "fuck your 9TF console lol" only to make those SSD clowns finally shut up. Fortunately, this state won't last forever, the consoles will shift in 3 months or so, everyone will be able to see how the games perform, and no goalpost shifting will be able to change it.

It's funny, you seem like the insecure one in here.

ZywyPL

Banned
So... You're definitely not an adult then.
Did you forget that you were the one to bring up Tflops again?

P.S. I've bolded the part of your post where you confirm yourself to be a hypocrite BTW. Getting infuriated because the mainstream World doesn't praise your chosen 'Toy box'.
So carry on talking about 'Sonygaf' like it's a secret society or something... I'll stick with reality.

Again connecting me with XB only because I mentioned TF, exactly what I said in my previous post... So I don't know, maybe TFlops are some sort of a Kryptonite that scare the hell out of you, maybe you should visit a doctor and get some help, he will tell you that "TFlops aren't real, they can't hurt you".

I'm fully aware that GPU performance is a sensitive topic amongst fanboys whenever their beloved box has the lower number, and they desperately try to spin the narrative with baseless theories like power of the cloud or SSD, but the thing is, people aren't born fanboys, nor anyone forces them to become one, people put themselves into such situation, but that doesn't mean normal people cannot have discussions about topics that don't fit the current ongoing narrative spin/agenda, to say things that warriors don't want to hear, like the discussion regarding Smartshift which puts some guys into serious defence mode. Who is to blame?

I have to say, if he is not being honest, that is a massive amount of very specific made up stuff there. I mean, sociopath levels of made up crap. It makes me want to think it's at least plausible.

Edit: OK, there's actually another Twitter handle, which I won't name that is named earlier in this thread that is providing so much very specific information, ... that person would be sociopath level of detail rather than FoxyGames UK. Foxy would just be an understudy to the other individual. (Hold back from naming the handle because I don't want to contribute clicks to them... Or, .. maybe they're just Voldemort).

Could you PM me the other twitter account you're talking about ?

silent head

SaucyJack

I don’t know whether he’s bullshitting or not, but these events do exist and I attended one in 2013 in London, about this time between E3 and Gamescom, and saw games like AC IV, Knack, Killzone, Driveclub, etc.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

For all of Foxy's faults, I would doubt he is making this whole thing up, it would just be too dramatic, we already know Sony is going to be showing off stuff very soon. Foxy might have just had a glimpse of certain stuff, like loading times and Dualsense controller, judging by his comments as well it also seem's like he saw some gameplay too.

Again he could just be lying, but only time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamescom is in Cologne,Germany. And NDA’s regardless of where or from who they’ve been signed for is something you never acknowledge, even in a tiny way. An NDA has a golden rule, never disclose you signed it and never disclose what it is or that you even signed it in the first place, if you do that you’ll be breaking one of the terms. Foxy is obviously so full of shit that it’s probable he doesn’t even remember how many times he’s been wrong. Not that he even cares to admit it anyway.

Not quite accurate. Depending on the clauses in an NDA, you can disclose you've signed one. If there is a clause within that says you cannot, then you cannot. It varies depending on the verbage.

I still think he's full of nonsense, despite it sounding believable. He makes generalized statements of what he saw, which I doubt would he allowed considering Sony's secrecy thus far.

JonnyMP3

Again connecting me with XB only because I mentioned TF, exactly what I said in my previous post... So I don't know, maybe TFlops are some sort of a Kryptonite that scare the hell out of you, maybe you should visit a doctor and get some help, he will tell you that "TFlops aren't real, they can't hurt you".

I'm fully aware that GPU performance is a sensitive topic amongst fanboys whenever their beloved box has the lower number, and they desperately try to spin the narrative with baseless theories like power of the cloud or SSD, but the thing is, people aren't born fanboys, nor anyone forces them to become one, people put themselves into such situation, but that doesn't mean normal people cannot have discussions about topics that don't fit the current ongoing narrative spin/agenda, to say things that warriors don't want to hear, like the discussion regarding Smartshift which puts some guys into serious defence mode. Who is to blame?
Still at it??? It's not the TF talk that points you as the Xbox fan... It's ALL of your defensiveness in your replies.

This is you.

This is me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom