• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also learnt that flying a bigger plane has severe impact on FPS. Even fast PCs struggle around 20 FPS with an Airbus 320, for example. One of the reasons why most people do videos while flying a Cessna. It's also easy to fly, of course.
again, dont know about that, too

Last edited:
I am tired of the ps5 fud and stupid posts about sustained clocks from people who have no idea about hardware.

So I am just going to play their game, why not xsx fud is even easier.

I was laughing as I was typing, creased my sides.

We have a lot of armchair engineers on this forum, it floors me how so many people thing they are smarter than the engineers at Sony or Microsoft, both companies approached the next gen in different ways, I feel Microsoft is mainly focused on TF power and Sony is doing a more balanced system with way fewer bottlenecks.

yewles1

Best next-gen experience? Really? I want some interactivity with envinroments , change the things around you and plot with your decisions and actions , not just flying around and enjoy graphics from 1000ft......and that's it.

This is next-gen experience

Also, i've thought that the biggest and most recognizable cities will be more detailed than the rest. Yes, they are detailed, but.....far above the ground. Using Azure cloud for to render visuals, enhance visual fidelity, and simulate real-world data and effects is good. But somehow, Azure managed to distorts buildings, and tilt the building on another building

Ecbr4mJ.jpg

Those next gen PS1 graphics...

Last edited:

Lampard

Neo Member
We have a lot of armchair engineers on this forum, it floors me how so many people thing they are smarter than the engineers at Sony or Microsoft, both companies approached the next gen in different ways, I feel Microsoft is mainly focused on TF power and Sony is doing a more balanced system with way fewer bottlenecks.
People just love to defend their favourite brand even if untruths are involved. I'm a PS guy but I have no issues saying XBSX is the more powerful console, the series S intrigues me, and I wouldn't be shocked if I bought one in 2021.

It's just the day and age where people don't fully research or understand what they quote or hear on the interwebs as long as it suits what they want. FUD is just the lazy and unintelligent way of making themselves feel better about a decision they've already made. I compare it to instagram and the people I know who LOVE the amount of likes they get for a photo, need that reassurance...it's sad.

I like this one better.

4e6fb316c121a7a7a5edfbbdbd47958a.jpg

I know some people are crapping on FS2020 visuals but remember it's not like the entire world is hand crafted like many other openworld games. Plus FS2020 is designed to look good from far away not up close.

Crazy system requirements though.

I think FS2020 looks amazing, just waiting on the VR support to happen before I get it for my PC, I know people are bitching that it doesn't have next gen graphics down to the ground level, but from up above it looks great personally. I still remember place Flight Simulator when it looks like this which I thought looked amazing as a kid!

FS3a-Meigs.gif

People just love to defend their favourite brand even if untruths are involved. I'm a PS guy but I have no issues saying XBSX is the more powerful console, the series S intrigues me, and I wouldn't be shocked if I bought one in 2021.

It's just the day and age where people don't fully research or understand what they quote or hear on the interwebs as long as it suits what they want. FUD is just the lazy and unintelligent way of making themselves feel better about a decision they've already made. I compare it to instagram and the people I know who LOVE the amount of likes they get for a photo, need that reassurance...it's sad.

I am a PS guy as well, but there are just some thing that the XSX is going to do better than the PS5 and vice versa, both had a similar end goal but took different paths to get there with their new systems. And on the whole Halo debacle I know that isn't the full power of the XSX, that game just has subpar programmers...with better more seasoned programmers that game would have looked a lot better than it showed. Can't wait to see more PS5 games in action though, so far they have looked amazing!

since the PS5 spec reveal it have felt like this:

Playstation users/buyers talk "yeah we know that 12 is more than 10, but these customizations are really interesting and we want to see what can they archieve"

Xbox fanboys "lol 12 is more than 9!! xbox is powerful! lol damage control! lol you dont know that 12 is more! lol"

playstation users "yeah we know that.."

xbox users "LOL damage control 12 >> MORE"

like talking to a wall or a parrot.

I have yet seen anybody claiming that ps5 would have more power on paper, and some people just repeat how "ps fanboys think it is stronger"

more is not always better, just talent of devs is bigger thing than few tflops here and there. So there is nothing wrong to want to speculate / know what these talented devs could archieve on PS5.

After all I would bet that majority of playstation gamers are going to buy ps5 if they buy one of them, so why would xbox specs even matter to them/us?

Good that xbox have good specs too, but it doesnt matter for people that are sure that they are getting ps5 anyway.

so in the end, some are just crazy fanboys seeing fights to win everywhere.

It is fact that both systems can output epic next gen games, IF they are made for them

Last edited:

Playstation users/buyers talk "yeah we know that 12 is more than 10, but these customizations are really interesting and we want to see what can they archieve"

Xbox fanboys "lol 12 is more than 9!! xbox is powerful! lol damage control! lol you dont know that 12 is more! lol"

I have yet seen anybody claiming that ps5 would have more power on paper, and some people just repeat how "ps fanboys think it is stronger"

more is not always better, just talent of devs is bigger thing than few tflops here and there. So there is nothing wrong to want to speculate / know what these talented devs could archieve on PS5.

After all I would bet that majority of playstation gamers are going to buy ps5 if they buy one of them, so why would xbox specs even matter to them/us?

Good that xbox have good specs too, but it doesnt matter for people that are sure that they are getting ps5 anyway.

so in the end, some are just crazy fanboys seeing fights to win everywhere.

It is fact that both systems can output epic next gen games, IF they are made for them

Yeah, that is kind of what I have noticed as well for the most part, the PS5 I just think is a more balanced system, that is basically what Mark Cerny's goal has been with the system, even the PS4 was designed to be more balanced than the previous generations (especially the PS3), I just feel like it is getting honed with each new generation so they have less and less bottlenecks and are able to push the hardware even more going forward.

Weik

Neo Member
Flying an airliner is absolutely not fun, the goal is to make the plane as stable as possible for the security of the passengers.
Go A to B without any problems or less than possible.
For me FS2020 is a simulator not really a video game.
The interesting point is that you can play some dangerous situations and see how you can manage to stay alive.
For the pilots it's very interesting if the simulation is credible :)

(Sorry for my English, my native language is French ^^)

CrysisFreak

Banned
Major Yikes!

gnxOwhG.png

4zLpQaL.png
19% is pretty much what I expected. Generally speaking it's quite something. Hopefully it's less than 19% when it comes to the casuals.
I think no one seriously believed that the delay would not have an effect except coping side chars like Ryan.
That's not good for the industry tbh. I want both to have a strong launch.
As I said from the beginning, Halo was the pillar of the console. It was hyped to hell and back since ever and it just had to do the work.

ZywyPL

Banned

Man I'd love if it was really the way you describe it, but unfortunately since PS5 specs reveal this place turned into SSDGaf, this day saw the biggest narrative shift in entire human history, since then every thread turns into SSD thread by the exact same insecure PS5 fanboys trying to paint their beloved console like it's the next most powerful thing on the planet next to a nuclear reactor, and they are so offensive with their campaign no wonder some people eventually have enough and get to the point when they are like "fuck your 9TF console lol" only to make those SSD clowns finally shut up. Fortunately, this state won't last forever, the consoles will shift in 3 months or so, everyone will be able to see how the games perform, and no goalpost shifting will be able to change it.

JonnyMP3

Man I'd love if it was really the way you describe it, but unfortunately since PS5 specs reveal this place turned into SSDGaf, this day saw the biggest narrative shift in entire human history, since then every thread turns into SSD thread by the exact same insecure PS5 fanboys trying to paint their beloved console like it's the next most powerful thing on the planet next to a nuclear reactor, and they are so offensive with their campaign no wonder some people eventually have enough and get to the point when they are like "fuck your 9TF console lol" only to make those SSD clowns finally shut up. Fortunately, this state won't last forever, the consoles will shift in 3 months or so, everyone will be able to see how the games perform, and no goalpost shifting will be able to change it.
Fanboy all you like but stop being disingenuous.
Yeah Sony party are crowing over the SSD just like the MS crowd are holding onto Tflops.
But to say it's 'Sonygaf' spaffing over the SSD when threads like this exists, is the definition of hypocrisy.

Redlancet

Banned
Flying an airliner is absolutely not fun, the goal is to make the plane as stable as possible for the security of the passengers.
Go A to B without any problems or less than possible.
For me FS2020 is a simulator not really a video game.
The interesting point is that you can play some dangerous situations and see how you can manage to stay alive.
For the pilots it's very interesting if the simulation is credible :)

(Sorry for my English, my native language is French ^^)
as a flight sim nut since the 8 bits days,most of the people who are using flight simulator on forums as weapon of war on the console war,arent gonna spend any serious time with the game ,but im gratefull the game exist and pc is taken seriously

FeiRR

Banned
I wonder how many of that 19% will pick up a PS5 before an XSX since Halo seems like it's far away.

Losing Halo Infinite was a big blow to them. I'm pretty sure they did everything possible to make it a launch title but it wasn't enough.
Consoles are released before Christmas for a reason. Let's speculate the impact of what happened:
  • Sales in the first year take a huge hit and those are important because the cost of launching a console is mostly visible during year 1 in financial reports. Shareholders will not be amused.
  • Early adopters (mostly hardcore) will just buy PS5 with several games to choose from.
  • The momentum of the whole brand is lost. Fewer people with the platform means less incentive for publishers to release games for it, not even to mention any platform-specific content or features. This creates a vicious circle.
  • Spencer lied that he was happy with how Halo looked. Some people will remember that and be careful with their purchases in the future.
It's a huge dumpster fire.

Last edited:

Darius87

ps5 and xsex SSD difference is 57% advantage to PS5 that's the biggest difference in any console part going from PS3/X360 generation so of course we're gonna talk about it there's no such part in any device right now that's the point what's wrong with that?

Nickolaidas

Consoles are released before Christmas for a reason. Let's speculate the impact of what happened:
  • Sales in the first year take a huge hit and those are important because the cost of launching a console is mostly visible during year 1 in financial reports. Shareholders will not be amused.
  • Early adopters (mostly hardcore) will just buy PS5 with several games to choose from.
  • The momentum of the whole brand is lost. Fewer people with the platform means less incentive for publishers to release games for it, not even to mention any platform-specific content or features. This creates a vicious circle.
  • Spencer lied that he was happy with how Halo looked. Some people will remember that and be careful with their purchases in the future.
It's a huge dumpster fire.
It's not that disastrous as one might think. The Gamepass will always be a lure and makes tons of gamers think 'Wow! 100 games for 10 bucks a month? I'm sold!' and yeah, I know it's on PC as well, but paying 300 bucks (I guess) to buy an XSS and then 10 bucks a month for dozens upon dozens of titles isn't anything to scoff at.

Again, the lack of exclusives and the 'on PC as well' will damage XSX sales (expect the XSX to be easily outsold by the PS5 on every single month except perhaps the month where Halo Infinite will come out), but it's not going to be as easy as it was last gen.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
53% "going to skip" + 19% "going to wait"

72.4% said "nope"
27.6% said "yupe"

Thank you for repeating the numbers back to me; but people waiting for Halo aren't "nopes."

It's basically half of people saying they'll buy an XSX within the first year.

Not that random online polls really even mean much.. but by no measure is that bad, particularly compared to a generation where if you consider "Xbox + Playstation" 100%, only about 30% of that was Xbox. That's not even taking into account PC gamers, Nintendo fans, anyone could be answering.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Sony c

Just because it streams data from some petabyte dataset of the earth does not mean it's the second coming.
I even said before release people should expect those 3D models and textures to collapse like noodles if you fly close to the ground and that's pretty much what happens.
Which is fine, you actually shouldn't fly that low, but come on those beautiful auto-generated backdrops are not exactly "the first taste of next-gen".
So, it's a 'cloud' game (pun intended).

THE:MILKMAN

Ryan at IGN must be crying at those results

I just watched that video about pricing and the game of chicken being played out and Ryan reiterated again he believes Microsoft would be prepared to undercut Sony on price citing Phil during his interview with him earlier this year where Phil stated they are prepared to be agile on price. The problem is that we (I think?) understand that stance to mean XSS covering the low ($299) end and XSX covering the high-end ($499).

What I think can reasonably be ruled out is Microsoft being able or prepared to come in lower than PS5 with XSX. It would dilute XSS apart from anything else and I seriously doubt Microsoft have wiggle room to lower that any more.

I think the below is the best either can do on pricing:

PS5/PS5DE $399 with the DE getting 12 months of PS+
XSX $449 XSS $299 both with 12 months GP

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Fanboy all you like but stop being disingenuous.
Yeah Sony party are crowing over the SSD just like the MS crowd are holding onto Tflops.
But to say it's 'Sonygaf' spaffing over the SSD when threads like this exists, is the definition of hypocrisy.

Whoa, a whole single XBX SSD dedicated thread vs over 200 PS5 ones + another 200 threads derailed into PS5 SSD discussion, sorry but if anything your argument just proves my point.

And yes, TF do matter, just like HP in cars, everyone who isn't a blind fanboy who switched narration from 13TF to an SSD overnight knows that, there's a reason people are hyped for the upcoming NV, AMD and even Intel GPUs, it's exactly because of the rumored power/TFlops they will provide, the same way many were hyped for the rumored 13-15TF consoles, but those rumors died long tiem ago and seems some have a really difficult time acknowledging it. The more performance simply the better, especially in closed console environment where you are at the mercy of developers and there's absolutely no way to go around if the performance is lacking and the dev's solution fails to deliver even a mare 30FPS. We barely saw any gameplays on the new consoles, almost everything is either a cinematic cut-scene or a CGI, so it's hard to say how the consoles perform, but even a 5yo child knows the more power a console has the less vulnerable to framedrops it is. Some people don't mind playing at sub-30FPS or 40-50 with awful stutter or screentear, granted, but many do care.

vivftp

ps5 and xsex SSD difference is 57% advantage to PS5 that's the biggest difference in any console part going from PS3/X360 generation so of course we're gonna talk about it there's no such part in any device right now that's the point what's wrong with that?

If we're using the raw speeds of 2.4 GB/s for the XSX and 5.5 GB/s for the PS5 then the PS5 is 129% faster. The numbers fluctuate about more if we're using the compressed figures but those are the actual speeds of their respective drives.

JonnyMP3

Whoa, a whole single XBX SSD dedicated thread vs over 200 PS5 ones + another 200 threads derailed into PS5 SSD discussion, sorry but if anything your argument just proves my point.

And yes, TF do matter, just like HP in cars, everyone who isn't a blind fanboy who switched narration from 13TF to an SSD overnight knows that, there's a reason people are hyped for the upcoming NV, AMD and even Intel GPUs, it's exactly because of the rumored power/TFlops they will provide, the same way many were hyped for the rumored 13-15TF consoles, but those rumors died long tiem ago and seems some have a really difficult time acknowledging it. The more performance simply the better, especially in closed console environment where you are at the mercy of developers and there's absolutely no way to go around if the performance is lacking and the dev's solution fails to deliver even a mare 30FPS. We barely saw any gameplays on the new consoles, almost everything is either a cinematic cut-scene or a CGI, so it's hard to say how the consoles perform, but even a 5yo child knows the more power a console has the less vulnerable to framedrops it is. Some people don't mind playing at sub-30FPS or 40-50 with awful stutter or screentear, granted, but many do care.
Yes... My argument...
Take a good long hard look in the mirror.
Who out of the both of us is getting wound up, heated and needing to explain everything in a defensive manner?
Hint... It's not me.

Besides... I wasn't 'arguing' with you because I actually am an adult!
So frame it as me calling you up on your hypocrisy as an 'argument' all you like.
Doesn't matter if it's 1 thread or 1000 threads. Hypocrisy is still hypocrisy... Or didn't your parents teach you that?

And what's that constant fanboy narrative... Something something 'TFlops' again...

its exactly this but but but that causes the groundhog day,
plus downplaying the differences:
bandwidth does not matter, teraflops dont matter, variable clocks dont matter, only ssd matters.
presenting the differences in the most insignificant way, THEN downplaying them even more.

- "teh least gap ever in console history, and ps5 is faster too! suck on that you fridge lovers!"

- "but, you know, 2 teraflops of rnda2 count at least as 3 teraflops of gcn, then its the bandwi..."

-"la la la cant hear you, craig says hi - la la la - based cerny's secret sauce gonna give it to you"

rinse & repeat :]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom