• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well Matt Hargatt been teasing again about lighting...

Ps4 game had path traced lighting (voxels) and 3 light bounces, whats possible with customisation. He knows shit, whats up ?

Have sony done something different and custom with ps5 ?

well look at the graphics. its basically an indie looking game doing pretty much nothing like tlou2 or ghost of tsushima which is why it was able to put its rendering budget towards path traced lighting.

well look at the graphics. its basically an indie looking game doing pretty much nothing like tlou2 or ghost of tsushima which is why it was able to put its rendering budget towards path traced lighting.
That doesn't take anything away from how impressive it is from a technical perspective.

Full path tracing on Minecraft is well-known to absolutely destroy high-end Turing GPU's.

Last edited:
What are the chances that Cerny has been sneaky and tucked in some juicy asynchronous compute (aces) ? Or has the size of the custom I/O unite ruled this out?

Nice try, at least try adding in the full clip.

"So far my opinion on either machine (PS5 and Series X has not changed) the Xbox Series X is very very powerful, it's monstrous honestly and in terms of of raw parallel performance it's just incredible, Sony's machine is designed for raw throughput, and I know those two approaches may sound the same, but believe me they are very different. Ultimately for the average game which doesn't push either console to its limits, which console performs the best? honestly it's going to depend on the lead development system, the game engine used and the developer talent, but if a game fully leverages the platforms, both consoles will get their positives and negatives and both the PS5 and Series X will have their own unique look."

Not related to your reply but what's funny is RGT is usually more biased towards PC and Xbox but in recent months he has never said the Series X will outperform the PS5 or if it's a better console, in fact he actually sounds much more impressed with the PS5 than the Series X.
nothing of importance was missed in my clip.
saying that one machine is more powerful (very different), and that only the average games that don't push for nothing will look the same, is just sweet talking.

we know that all 3rd party games -give or take the indies- always push for all the power they can extract.
most of you have been counting pixels and foliage densities since 2006, just switching winning sides from time to time.

and even for the indies, about 3-4 minutes before that, he says that he thinks that they will push for full path tracing on xbox

one more notable thing he says is that -just as xbox does it- ray tracing must be combined with inference acceleration, otherwise it will be too taxing.
then he goes on to say that its crucial also for amd rdna2 to compete with nvidia and for ps5 to respectively compete to have this.
then he pauses, and says he is sure about amd

edit: I'll add the clip just to avoid having to answer to posts like the above

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I think we'll have another games showcase here soon. I really don't see preorders beginning until September when Microsoft goes.

Sony will follow up soon after, unless they feel their software lineup is powerful enough it won't matter if MS undercuts with the Series S. In that case, they could open sooner than that.

I agree. We definitely get another show, at least one. UI, games running, etc.

After that its anything goes IMO. Hell, when we get the next show Ill start checking Amazon during the show lol.

Time is running short for all this to happen, Heisenberg dropped some birdie hints.

I expect to see a thread soon(im not making one) about the emails being sent out.

But like I was saying the email I got was in response to "sign up to be notified when pre orders are made available"

Spidey sense is tingling.

gBnfAJk.jpg

Last edited:
If they open, you'll have precious little time to guarantee one. I expect online such as Amazon to deplete within a couple of minutes at best.

I know GameStop will survive til next-gen(the one here will for sure) and my local one is on the way to work, as is Best Buy so I'll have two chances. Probably up before the sun rises and wait with coffee in hand.

I remember waking up super early to preorder my PS2 at KB Toys. Anybody remember them?

B_Boss

Dude... lol..

I asked if, in the past, there has ever been a big "Secret" piece of hardware we didn't know about until right before launch.... nothing you are saying is answering that lol

Would the 4gb RAM added to the PS4 at the “last minute” count or nah 🤔? Maybe that isn’t a “big” piece of hardware for the console though...

SlimySnake

If Sony really reveals GoW 2 next week...
with a cutscene only trailer? then hyped deflated.

i want an amazing gameplay demo with ssd being utilized to the max. i want kratos looking more real than real life. i want thor in there fucking shit up. destruction everywhere. i want kratos to take the hammer and start flying. i want sex mini games to come back. orgies. MFF, MMF, i dont care. i want kratos riding dragons. who needs fast travel when you can fly travel.

anything less and i will be disappointed. enough is enough. time for the industry to move forward. i am done with these cookie cutter games.

464850ad4a86c02b-600x338.jpg

to this

GodOfWar_TVC_UnitImage.jpg

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
nothing of importance was missed in my clip.
saying that one machine is more powerful (very different), and that only the average games that don't push for nothing will look the same, is just sweet talking.

we know that all 3rd party games -give or take the indies- always push for all the power they can extract.
most of you have been counting pixels and foliage densities since 2006, just switching winning sides from time to time.

and even for the indies, about 3-4 minutes before that, he says that he thinks that they will push for full path tracing on xbox

one more notable thing he says is that -just as xbox does it- ray tracing must be combined with inference acceleration, otherwise it will be too taxing.
then he goes on to say that its crucial also for amd rdna2 to compete with nvidia and for ps5 to respectively compete to have this.
then he pauses, and says he is sure about amd

edit: I'll add the clip just to avoid having to answer to posts like the above

A lot of problems with this. Snowdonhoffen Snowdonhoffen asked for a summary of the video, your video was not a summary but a cherry picked clip from RGT's video and the part which you conveniently left out added an important caveat to what Paul (RGT) said in that clip and you dismissed it in cheap way claiming he was "just sweet talking".

As for indie devs pushing path tracing on Series X, well it's not really impressive is it? (relatively speaking) indie games in general lack large scale complex environments so it's easier to implement more sophisticated ray-tracing techniques such as path tracing.

Finally, we're not pixel counting or switching from side to side. PS5 has already done a better job at showing better "pixel counting" than the Series X has, and the foliage on Horizon Forbidden West looks more impressive than anything seen on the Series X till date. Until we get full third party comparisons from both consoles let's not get ahead of ourselves. As of now PS5 has done a better job in showcasing features which Xbox has touted for months now with nothing to show such as power, resolution, ray-tracing and SSD streaming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elog

I guess I lean towards not expecting much in the way of customization or advancement when something is kept so quiet. That's sort of in general; same thing for RT on PC with AMD... I want them to compete but the silence is kind of deafening for me.

Would be rad if Sony had some custom hardware they were keeping from us but it just feels unlikely. at this point. I was thinking maybe Tempest could be involved but others shot that down IIRC.

If you look at my post history regarding the specific RT question and PS5, please note that the old GitHub leaks with benchmark data from AMD for both XSX and PS5 silicon did not contain any data on RT from PS5. That is where the rumour that PS5 lacks RT hardware features stemmed from. My point is that Sony has not been that silent about this - the only silence is the specific design - and that is common to keep close to the chest. We still do not know the PS4 pro CU customisation as an example!

Now we know that PS5 has RT hardware. I think it is more and more likely that RT is not part of the RDNA2 CUs that Sony are using (since then we would have seen benchmark data in the GitHub leaks).

That actually opens up a whole can of worms since that would suggest that the PS5 might have RT that can work independently from the CUs (then a minor point regarding the whole meaningless Tflops discussions - have we had that comparing two numbers that come with and without the RT piece?). That would be huge.

Lethal01

i want an amazing gameplay demo with ssd being utilized to the max. i want kratos looking more real than real life. i want thor in there fucking shit up. destruction everywhere. i want kratos to take the hammer and start flying. i want sex mini games to come back. orgies. MFF, MMF, i dont care. i want kratos riding dragons. who needs fast travel when you can fly travel.

anything less and i will be disappointed. enough is enough. time for the industry to move forward. i am done with these cookie cutter games.

to this

If you wanna get mad that the PS5/XBSX doesn't transform into the perfect woman and suck your dick while you are gaming feel free.

The improvements have been extremely impressive, Being able to imagine how much something better could look doesn't make them less incredible.
The ps1 wasn't unimpressive because I could imagine what a game on the ps4 could look like.

SlimySnake

If you wanna get mad that the PS5/XBSX doesn't transform into the perfect woman and suck your dick while you are gaming feel free.

The improvements have been extremely impressive, Being able to imagine how much something better could look doesn't make them less incredible.
The ps1 wasn't unimpressive because I could imagine what a game on the ps4 could look like.
if you notice, i only mentioned graphical upgrades once. i mostly focused on gameplay enhancements that i want out of next gen. as much as i love gow, and it might be gotg if i can get over my love for rdr2, it is still a product of its generation. big open worlds, but static, and held back by the hdd. i recall a cory barlog interview about how they wanted a baldur vs kratos fight to span various different levels with kratos and baldur throwing each other miles but the hdd simply wouldnt allow it. i wouldnt be surprised if the dragon boss fight was limited in scope due to the same hdd and ram limitations. destruction as we know is clearly a cpu limitation which should not be an issue next gen.

static environments have been a thing for way too long. gen after gen, devs go for prettier graphics and are unable to truly make lively worlds because the CPUs simply havent been powerful enough. things should be different this time around and i would be fine if graphics come at the expense of interactive worlds.

.....the foliage on Horizon Forbidden West looks more impressive than anything seen on the Series X till date. Until we get full third party comparisons from both consoles let's not get ahead of ourselves. As of now PS5 has done a better job in showcasing features which Xbox has touted for months now with nothing to show such as power, resolution, ray-tracing and SSD streaming.

When the subject of xbox hardware strip down
becomes bu bu bu but horizon foliage and craig (incoming once again, I am sure)
then I know I am discussing with the wrong person.

You can be sure that the consoles will come out,
the games for them will come out too,
and the differences between them -thats what you care about, right?- will be dictated by the hardware differences between them.

Thats the reason why people are interested in the hardware stripdowns of new technology.
To understand whats coming.

Thus, I dont see the point that some people want to follow and learn about such topics, only to downplay their facts, like you above.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
When the subject of xbox hardware strip down
becomes bu bu bu but horizon foliage and craig (incoming once again, I am sure)
then I know I am discussing with the wrong person.

You can be sure that the consoles will come out,
the games for them will come out too,
and the differences between them -thats what you care about, right?- will be dictated by the hardware differences between them.

Thats the reason why people are interested in the hardware stripdowns of new technology.
To understand whats coming.

Thus, I dont see the point that some people want to follow and learn about such topics, only to downplay their facts, like you above.

tjgZkeA.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No it's the most simplistic metric that car makers and sales people use to entice non-discerning buyers into buying their vehicles. And is NOT the best (or even good) metric for overall performance. Because there isn't a single good indicator of overall performance. Available torque, gear ratios, suspension and handling, weight, brakes, tires etc. and how the related systems are designed around one another dictates the overall performance of the vehicle. We've done this analogy before ad naseum but there it is. If we're going to use car analogies here's an example:

2018 Mustang GT V8 460 HP
2018 Kia Stinger GT V6 365 HP

HP had almost zero impact on the comparison between these two vehicles. HP didn't help the Mustang as it got smoked in the drag race because the Stinger is rear wheel biased AWD and is designed to deliver massive torque off the line and the suspension lowers the rear end slightly on take off.
HANDLING was the difference in the full track times as the Mustang had upgraded tires and suspension that helped it maneuver the track much more efficiently than the Stinger. It was designed for the track. The Stinger not so much.
Basing your car purchase off HP is dumb. Basing your console purchase off Tflops is equally as dumb.

It's baffling how lacking in nuance many are, balancing for every component, variable, layer
and looking at how things subtract, penalties, etc, is so important.

Case in point:

66vxnbg.jpg

askxx0l.jpg

CraZed

I'm finding out that more and more people, not only are not able to use their eyes (for example to see that the drag tarmac has absolutely no glue)
but also have trouble even using their ears to hear what is being described...

pay close attention to what you see, and to what you hear
"unprepped"

furthermore, to expand on your faulty analogy, a turbine in an engine is a significant part of the horsepower and torque that engine outputs
exactly like more CUs in a gpu

I tried to explain to you that if they raced for even 50-100m more, the awd car would fall behind, and never-ever catch up again.
or even if the cars started from even 15 or 10km/h speed (also known as rolling start), the more powerful car would smoke the awd.

I dont know if the point of the video was a paid advertisement for the KIA, but it sure looks that way, a planned scenario to maximise the awd launch
going to a drag strip to race 400m,
a turbo awd car against a n/a rwd car, and not even follow drag procedures and rules
just to make one car look good.

thats why I told you its a poor analogy, but you preferred to not understand it.

but if you want the KIA to be the ps5, be my guest :messenger_beaming:

You said in a 400m race, they did that, multiple times with the same result. Now pay close attention to what you posted (if you want to be that way):

dude, one car is awd and turbo, the other is rwd and n/a
all the gains of the lesser powered awd turbo in this case are just on launch.
and had this been a proper drag strip with glue etc, I doubt it could still keep up on the 400m
find a better analogy :]
Not seeing where you put that extra 50-100m. Besides, how many drags go 450-500m?

And yes, if they rolled the mustang may have won (but you can google stinger vs mustang roll vids and see they more than hold their own). But again, harping on an extraneous detail such as surface prep on the track reinforces the point I was making. If it were the surface prep wouldn't matter. BOTH vehicles would have benefited from a prepped surface. Both would have gotten better times but the Stinger still would have won. For exactly the reasons you stated. Making the 24% difference in HP irrelevant.
But of course you had to take it to this box vs. that box. Which was never the intent of the analogy. As I didn't bring it up. I was simply expressing why HP is not a good measure of overall performance and how it's used by vehicle manufacturers/dealers to get uninformed buyers excited about a particular vehicle over another. But the same is true of Tflops. Especially when the difference is a paltry 18%.

GermanZepp

Gold Member
I like this one better.

4e6fb316c121a7a7a5edfbbdbd47958a.jpg

I know some people are crapping on FS2020 visuals but remember it's not like the entire world is hand crafted like many other openworld games. Plus FS2020 is designed to look good from far away not up close.

Crazy system requirements though.
I enjoyed spiderman a lot, I recently get the platinum trophy. But, is a game that is also designed to look good from far away not up close. Is in a different scale from flying simulator. Besides character models or closed stages, the Manhattan map is designed to look very good when you travel fast and jumping and swinging around. Get up close and spiderman ps4 shows very hard stitches.

Don't get me wrong. The spiderman game looks awesome. But it really feels like it's a game too ambitious for the ps4 hardware.

if you notice, i only mentioned graphical upgrades once. i mostly focused on gameplay enhancements that i want out of next gen. as much as i love gow, and it might be gotg if i can get over my love for rdr2, it is still a product of its generation. big open worlds, but static, and held back by the hdd. i recall a cory barlog interview about how they wanted a baldur vs kratos fight to span various different levels with kratos and baldur throwing each other miles but the hdd simply wouldnt allow it. i wouldnt be surprised if the dragon boss fight was limited in scope due to the same hdd and ram limitations. destruction as we know is clearly a cpu limitation which should not be an issue next gen.

static environments have been a thing for way too long. gen after gen, devs go for prettier graphics and are unable to truly make lively worlds because the CPUs simply havent been powerful enough. things should be different this time around and i would be fine if graphics come at the expense of interactive worlds.

I'm absolutely over playing open world games with static environments. You couldn't fucking pay me to play a Ubisoft game. I've been waiting for more interactive worlds for years. After playing Red Faction: Guerrilla, I remember how I was totally looking forward to PS4/Xbox One generation. The hope of finally having much more interactive worlds was on the horizon. Unfortunately the Jaguar CPU disagreed (among other aspect of the consoles). I know this is pie-in-the-sky bullshit, but could you imagine a game like GTA with fully destructible objects and environments with the ability to enter any building? Fucking crazy I know. I'm willing to take whatever visual downgrade to get there. Granted it would still need to be artistically pleasing at the very least.

I'd like to add my disappointment for Red Dead 2 is immense. NakeyJakey, had a fantastic breakdown of why he was so let down.

As far as I see it, Rockstar has no interest making truly open world games anymore. That shit died games ago. RDR2 is a cinematic, wide-liner game. I don't know how else to describe it. Don't get me wrong, it's still an extremely well made game, but Rockstar has lost their way.

I hate that video, even though I agree with the actual premise. Everyone misses the idea with RDR 2, it's an immersive sim, not a SANDBOX game. The open world is there to service immersion.

So immersive you can make a camp fire in the rain.

I mean, in Flight Simulator can you crash a plane through a building and watch it come crashing down as a result? There's always going to be ways to break immersion if you want to find it, just like saying a game isn't open world because there are any boundaries at all.

I trust that the RGT people know their stuff but when I watched their reaction video to the Halo infinite gameplay demo and they were so impressed by it I couldn't help but think maybe they were rooting for it to look good and letting it cloud their judgement.

Entroyp

If they open, you'll have precious little time to guarantee one. I expect online such as Amazon to deplete within a couple of minutes at best.

I know GameStop will survive til next-gen(the one here will for sure) and my local one is on the way to work, as is Best Buy so I'll have two chances. Probably up before the sun rises and wait with coffee in hand.

I remember waking up super early to preorder my PS2 at KB Toys. Anybody remember them?

KB Toys is where I bought my PS1 along with Resident Evil and Street Fighter Alpha on a glorious May 1st of 1996.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I'm absolutely over playing open world games with static environments. You couldn't fucking pay me to play a Ubisoft game. I've been waiting for more interactive worlds for years. After playing Red Faction: Guerrilla, I remember how I was totally looking forward to PS4/Xbox One generation. The hope of finally having much more interactive worlds was on the horizon. Unfortunately the Jaguar CPU disagreed (among other aspect of the consoles). I know this is pie-in-the-sky bullshit, but could you imagine a game like GTA with fully destructible objects and environments with the ability to enter any building? Fucking crazy I know. I'm willing to take whatever visual downgrade to get there. Granted it would still need to be artistically pleasing at the very least.

I'd like to add my disappointment for Red Dead 2 is immense. NakeyJakey, had a fantastic breakdown of why he was so let down.

As far as I see it, Rockstar has no interest making truly open world games anymore. That shit died games ago. RDR2 is a cinematic, wide-liner game. I don't know how else to describe it. Don't get me wrong, it's still an extremely well made game, but Rockstar has lost their way.

As much as I love RDR2, i love it for the reasons you hate it. I love the narrative and the setpiece focused mission structure. I swear I will never forget the mansion raid with all of my gang. Or some of the final few missions in chapter 6. it felt like i was playing a naughty dog game.

Explosive Zombie put it best, the world is there to service the story. Though i completely understand rockstar fans being disappointed by it. It felt very very on rails.

i do hope GTA6 focuses on the things you mentioned. I remember the gta4 jump. it was massive and while it didnt look all that amazing, they had really taken the level of detail to a new level. the city finally felt like a living breathing city. i am almost glad that we didnt see a gta6 this gen because now they can finally focus on next gen tech and really push the boundries of whats possible with next gen CPUs.

kyliethicc

I mean, in Flight Simulator can you crash a plane through a building and watch it come crashing down as a result? There's always going to be ways to break immersion if you want to find it, just like saying a game isn't open world because there are any boundaries at all.
Yeah but the point of that video is that RDR2 is half sim & half film. Its linear and sandbox, but its half of each, and thus somewhat compromised. Even Zelda BOTW at least managed to commit to basic water fire temperature systems.

I'd prefer Red Dead or GTA just drop the scripted story and just be a sim sandbox world. Commit to user controlled interactions driven by systems and go full immersion, then just let me exist in it. Like let me make a character and everything.

or

I'd prefer Read Red or GTA just drop the sim sandbox open world and just be a linear scripted story. Commit to a narrative with pace and action set pieces, design each moment and give me a sculpted experience. Like a Naughty Dog game or something.

You can feel how you feel about the game. I respect other opinions. Just saying I do agree with that Jake guy's video. Its a valid critique of RDR2.

No worries though if you feel differently, thats cool too.

Games Dean

Man I'd love if it was really the way you describe it, but unfortunately since PS5 specs reveal this place turned into SSDGaf, this day saw the biggest narrative shift in entire human history, since then every thread turns into SSD thread by the exact same insecure PS5 fanboys trying to paint their beloved console like it's the next most powerful thing on the planet next to a nuclear reactor, and they are so offensive with their campaign no wonder some people eventually have enough and get to the point when they are like "fuck your 9TF console lol" only to make those SSD clowns finally shut up. Fortunately, this state won't last forever, the consoles will shift in 3 months or so, everyone will be able to see how the games perform, and no goalpost shifting will be able to change it.
Holy mental gymnastics.

Yeah but the point of that video is that RDR2 is half sim & half film. Its linear and sandbox, but its half of each, and thus somewhat compromised. Even Zelda BOTW at least managed to commit to basic water fire temperature systems.

I'd prefer Red Dead or GTA just drop the scripted story and just be a sim sandbox world. Commit to user controlled interactions driven by systems and go full immersion, then just let me exist in it. Like let me make a character and everything.

or

I'd prefer Read Red or GTA just drop the sim sandbox open world and just be a linear scripted story. Commit to a narrative with pace and action set pieces, design each moment and give me a sculpted experience. Like a Naughty Dog game or something.

You can feel how you feel about the game. I respect other opinions. Just saying I do agree with that Jake guy's video. Its a valid critique of RDR2.

No worries though if you feel differently, thats cool too.

It's not, he doesn't get what the gaming is going for. He is arguing it's half sandbox, half narrative game, the sandbox only exists to enhance the immersion of the narrative because it's an IMMERSIVE SIM which flies over his head. He's complaining you can't enter the buildings in flight simulator. What you'd prefer is Rockstar stop making the games they want to make, their direction has always been angling towards these set stories with set characters but with deep open worlds that immerse you in that character and their world. You're asking Naughty Dog to make a Battlefield game, Minecraft 2 to have a story or for a Telltale game to be a character action game.

I do agree all feelings are valid, but to me the problem isn't that you can't have your viewpoint on the game it feels like you and Nakey are setting up an argument for the game being flawed because the argument is these elements are at cross purposes with each other when to me they are not, to me they all fit the immersive sim aspect. People like to bring up how they could deal with missions in creative ways in GTA III but I'll never believe that design was intentional, to me that was people breaking and toying with game logic and it's not what they ever anticipated, hence as the series went on there was less opportunity to do those things. Having a PREFERENCE that's different to what they're doing is fine but calling it OUTDATED is silly.

Nickolaidas

Fortunately, this state won't last forever, the consoles will shift in 3 months or so, everyone will be able to see how the games perform, and no goalpost shifting will be able to change it.
I agree. Once the PS5 will play 3rd party games just as well as the XSX does, the 12TF narrative will die, and the only good 'exclusive' thing the XSX will have going for it will be gamepass, while the PS5 will have its hoard of true exclusives.

And that will be that.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

It's not, he doesn't get what the gaming is going for. He is arguing it's half sandbox, half narrative game, the sandbox only exists to enhance the immersion of the narrative because it's an IMMERSIVE SIM which flies over his head. He's complaining you can't enter the buildings in flight simulator. What you'd prefer is Rockstar stop making the games they want to make, their direction has always been angling towards these set stories with set characters but with deep open worlds that immerse you in that character and their world. You're asking Naughty Dog to make a Battlefield game, Minecraft 2 to have a story or for a Telltale game to be a character action game.

I do agree all feelings are valid, but to me the problem isn't that you can't have your viewpoint on the game it feels like you and Nakey are setting up an argument for the game being flawed because the argument is these elements are at cross purposes with each other when to me they are not, to me they all fit the immersive sim aspect. People like to bring up how they could deal with missions in creative ways in GTA III but I'll never believe that design was intentional, to me that was people breaking and toying with game logic and it's not what they ever anticipated, hence as the series went on there was less opportunity to do those things. Having a PREFERENCE that's different to what they're doing is fine but calling it OUTDATED is silly.
Lets not derail the thread too far off topic, I'll just say I agree to disagree and I respect your opinion.

kyliethicc

I don't think that will be the case but the question is if the difference will matter to people. Plus the PS5 does have some advantages over the XSX. It will be up to gamers to decide which one they prefer.
Agreed, and resolution, frame rate, graphics, thats just 1 way for gamers to decide a preference. I care just as much about the games themselves, the characters, the sounds, and other stuff like the controller, the UI, peripherals, and of course the price.

All will be important factors in why people end up preferring one of the two systems.

to this

I want exactly 10% of what you listed shown.

Cause why would I want all of that spoiled for me in the initial reveal trailer :|

HAL-01

Well Matt Hargatt been teasing again about lighting...

Ps4 game had path traced lighting (voxels) and 3 light bounces, whats possible with customisation. He knows shit, whats up ?

Have sony done something different and custom with ps5 ?

While I agree it’s a great technical feat and something we’ll likely see a lot of this coming gen, the tweet is pretty misleading. Cascaded Voxel Cone tracing is much cheaper to implement and less accurate than full path tracing. Full path tracing will be out of reach of most console games, but we’ll see good approximations such as this, svogi and whatever Lumen is

roops67

Anyone mind humoring me for a minute?

If the PS5 indeed has liquid metal cooling, what does this mean for the longevity of the console? Because I've read and saw videos which say that liquid metal 'paste' is not very durable and needs to be changed every 1-2 years.

Thoughts?

And please, my fellow PS5 lovers, do not mistake this as intentional FUD. I am merely concerned with the patent that has been circulating lately about the PS5 having liquid metal cooling. It's natural to assume that Cerny has figured out a way to make the liquid metal cooling solution more durable and able to last a LOT more than 1-2 years. So the question is ... what do you think this solution is?
I would hazard to guess its not a paste but actually a liquid, it stays a liquid from room temperature to tdp so no phase-transition (probably what reduces the lifespan). Could be mercury or gallium based alloys (googled it) , that's why a good seal is important as been mentioned

It's known that good electrical conductors make great thermal conductors, and would guess it's a gallium-alloy cos it's non-toxic. Need somebody more knowledgeable say if this is viable or its too corrosive or too viscous

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom