• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

He did say that RT can be done simultaneously but as there aren't separate cores for that purpose, there are limitations like bandwidth. It was a direct comparison to Nvidia, not PS5.

One more thing I recall, ML is part of RDNA2.0 confirmed, not MS specific design. But both companies have implemented customisations in the APU.

That's what I was referring to, AMD vs. nVidia. It's obvious that nVidia's custom hardware will be better at a cost, but I'm hoping AMD has come with an acceptable solution that keeps things competitive.

Note to self, watch video before making snarky comments. Sorry Paul, on the off chance you happen to read Gaf.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Sometimes its hard to stay on these forums.

First, I get told I am a child
Second, I am asked if I am alright in the head
Third, my spelling is bad so I am basically retarded.
Fourth, I can't play any more fucking music
Fifth, 2 tflops is better than having any good games and that's what really matters in the next generation of consoles.
Sixth, a guy tells me he has dry British humor, at the same time saying i am basically an idiot, does he know I'm British too?.

Fuck my life, i am getting a PS5.

Ftfy

Darius87

Normal workload which is what? Browsing the dashboard? Let's stick strictly to actually playing the video games, shall we? And no, it doesn't work the way you described, quite the opposite, search Cerny's "race to idle" explanation - the GPU/CPU actually try to go as low as possible whenever not needed, and go up depending if more power is indeed required to hit the targeted performance, so let's say you play a demanding AAA title at 4K60, like Battlefield, that's where the GPU will want to deliver those 10TF, but when you play a simple 2D side scroller that doesn't need more than 2TF, that's how much (little) the GPU will provide. It saves power this way, produces less heat, which all sounds reasonable, but the question is what will happen when both the CPU and GPU will be fully loaded, what performance impact will it have on the most demanding games due to shared power delivery design, but we will find that out in 3 or 4 months. I just don't get exactly your last sentence, why should XSX have issues in "stressful moments" when it's running at its maximum clocks 24/7 no matter what?
normal workloads are game code which doesn't draw excessive amount of power if there's certain code which spreads on many cores then power draw spikes and GPU/CPU down clocks to reduce that spike.
There's no situation where both CPU and GPU will be at full capacity you have to think in 16ms/33ms scale to fully load CPU/GPU you have to fully allocate all ALU's with code in one frame.
The XSX situation when power spikes happens is unclear it definitely doesn't act in smart way like PS5 does i guess normal PC GPU would drop framerate or frequency even at fixed clocks to compensate i assume XSX could act in the same way but it's unclear.

Zoro7

Banned

first, I get told I am a child
second, I am asked if I am alright in the head
third, my spelling is bad so I am basically retarded.
fourth, I can't play any more fucking music
fifth, 2 tflops is better than having any good games and that's what really matters in the next generation of consoles.
sixth, a guy tells me he has dry British humor, at the same time saying i am basically an idiot, does he know I'm British too?.

fuck my life, i am getting an xbox now.
I thought we made up??!

DaGwaphics

fifth, 2 tflops is better than having any good games and that's what really matters in the next generation of consoles.
sixth, a guy tells me he has dry British humor, at the same time saying i am basically an idiot, does he know I'm British too?.

You're going to have an entire routine worth of material at this rate.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So stupid. Pc gaming is so trash these days. That card alone means a new case.
So don't buy it?

You can get great performance on a console-sized PC these days too.. and advancements keep happening up and down the spectrum (from these ridiculous giant cards, to much better smaller cards).

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

OMG just had the best 58 minutes of my life.. I swear guys, the things I saw...I literally peed!

Was a great shit I just took, my butthole is quite the geometry engine.

The rumours are the PS5's is more advanced and way faster...

UnsteadyUnsightlyBrahmanbull-max-1mb.gif

Nickolaidas

So you're telling me you have a breaking point?

YOU HAVE A BREAKING POINT??

sircaw

Banned
Rumours are saying that PS5 architecture has an specific hardware feature under heavy NDA wich its only purppose is for RT and It helps to not hit GPU Power at all.

PS5 seems to have an exotic RT solution according to some.

Who knows...

Do you think that if sony did this, it would be part of the custom silicon as built-in, or do you think it's another type of component that is basically bolted on ontop like a chip?

#I am not very technical, also retarded according to some people, hope that aides with your answer.

Garjon

By this time there will be another gc that will be better and make 2060 look outdated, this is a never ending pc cycle thing.
I'm fine with 1080p and I foresee the consoles prioritising their extra GPU power for higher resolutions; this combined with Lockhart being a thing makes me think a 2060 should be enough to run everything coming out well enough. The only GPU problem I can see happening is 6GB VRAM not being enough, but supposedly Lockhart falls down on this too

While you do provide a lot of very valid points, given the history, I'm a firm believer that price determines everything, literally, everything, the majority of gamers don't care about the exclusives, how the games perform, the general crowd will always lean towards the cheapest box no matter what (well maybe except the Fifa crowd, they will always pick Playstation), this is most likely the sole reason why less than 3 months from the consoles debut we still don't know their prices, the companies desperately want to undercut their oponent, that's what guarantees success, nothing else matters in the greater picture.
Price does not determine everything and much more matters in the greater picture. If price were the only thing to matter, than only the most low cost utilitarian devices would exist in the world. This applies to much more than video games. It literally applies to just about every single good that can be sold throughout the world.

Anyway, the ultimate success of Nintendo and Sony is not determined by what third-party's game runs at a slightly higher resolution/frame rate, but on content of what will/is being provided. Xbox One did not suffer entirely because the PS4 had an almost 30%-40% GPU advantage. Nor was it necessarily based on it being $100 more expensive at launch. Not to say those things didn't matter to many, they do (and did), but the real reason is the content being provided and the message they tried to send failed. It tried to be an all-in-one device and people just wanted a quality game console. Not to mention the whole fiasco surrounding used games. Imagine if Microsoft actually "brought the goods" to the table sort of speak. Imagine if they made amazing Kinect games, and had a flood of can't miss first-party titles. People won't pony up the money if you can't deliver on content. Microsoft didn't deliver on exclusive first-party content to buoy those things. It's a big deal when it happens, but for Sony and Nintendo it's just expected.

Microsoft has already shot themselves in the foot. Again. Even I find it frustrating. The metrics are already out there on next-gen. People are leaning heavily Sony. Even if the PS5 disk and digital came in at $500, it would still outsell Series X at $400. People can go on YouTube right now and see what games have been shown running on PS5. Not to mention what they're doing with the DualSense controller. Perception is reality. Sony is bringing the content to the table and even if it's at a higher price, people believe it's worth the admission. Hell, even the PS3, with all of its fuck-ups on price, performance, and games, still ended up outselling the 360 in the end. In conclusion, no, undercutting opponent on price is not what guarantees success. It matters, but the greater picture is quality of content being provided.

J_Gamer.exe

A teardown isn't going to make me want to buy it more or less. Seeing boot time and load time is just not really something that makes me go "WE NEED TO SEE THIS WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG"

We saw games, seeing more would be fun. We know they expect backwards compatibility to work with most PS4 games.
There's just nothing they have shown that's something I think we really need to see aside from price and date.

You might not want but many do want to see an actual bc game and see the performance demos etc.

We want to see the ssd speed demos or explanations, I do anyway. So lots more to see for me but if not for you then personal preference.

kretos

Banned
What's with the lame music being posted in the last couple of days, if you gonna make me click atleast post something good come on people the left button on the mouse won't last forever

LOL its the PERFECT analogy. Because instead of refuting the premise you added to my argument about HP not being important. You mention the actual track :messenger_tears_of_joy:. A variable that BOTH vehicles would benefit from. And you confirm that the lower HP car absolutely smoked the higher powered HP vehicle because of other system improvements. Also, I'm guessing you didn't watched the video because you would have seen the drag race portion of the track was absolutely prepped for drag racing and it was 400m race. And they repeated the results on several races.
You just don't like the analogy because you can't refute it.
I'm finding out that more and more people, not only are not able to use their eyes (for example to see that the drag tarmac has absolutely no glue)
but also have trouble even using their ears to hear what is being described...

here you go my friend, I bookmarked the video just for you

pay close attention to what you see, and to what you hear
"unprepped"

furthermore, to expand on your faulty analogy, a turbine in an engine is a significant part of the horsepower and torque that engine outputs
exactly like more CUs in a gpu

I tried to explain to you that if they raced for even 50-100m more, the awd car would fall behind, and never-ever catch up again.
or even if the cars started from even 15 or 10km/h speed (also known as rolling start), the more powerful car would smoke the awd.

I dont know if the point of the video was a paid advertisement for the KIA, but it sure looks that way, a planned scenario to maximise the awd launch
going to a drag strip to race 400m,
a turbo awd car against a n/a rwd car, and not even follow drag procedures and rules
just to make one car look good.

thats why I told you its a poor analogy, but you preferred to not understand it.

but if you want the KIA to be the ps5, be my guest :messenger_beaming:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom