• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenFlame

😃
1KBma5C.jpg
Am i missing something? It seems to be just a tease for February Xbox Game Pass games.

SoraNoKuni

This is becoming rather interesting, I don't think the difference in performance will be that great, 12vs8TF seems unlikely, except if there are architectural differences and Sony has RDNA2 with a seperate Ray tracing chip while microsoft does it via software.
If the gap is that big then there HAVE to be architectural differences, else Sony is really in bad shape.
In Cerny I trust though :p

It's 16 actually

Might be even more than that; with a 320-bit bus minimum and economies of scale, no reason to go flush 2GB and have 20GB. If it's a 384-bit bus (what I'm thinking it is, personally) and flush 2GB, that gives 24GB.

16GB on 320-bit bus would mean 6x 2GB and 4x 1GB. Don't see the point in that to save relative pennies when economies of scale would give 10x 2GB for a very small price increase over 6x 2GB + 4x 1GB modules. If it's meant to be a premium system, put in a premium amount of memory to saturate that capacity potential on that bus.

Doom and gloom. So many pseudo experts on the internet.
These fools never worked on a console or know what goes behind the scenes but keep saying shit like that. lmao

Dealer would have a point if these were the old days, with systems using highly esoteric and exotic architectures and tons of custom parts strewn together. But those days are over.

Granted, if this is true then yes, there is some significant time needed to revamp architecture, thermals, production and assembly capacities, order amounts, wafer orders etc. but AMD are the ones doing much of the heavy lifting for console makers these days, they're the ones who've designed the CPUs and GPUs, and put in the wafer orders etc. Plus they already have other product offerings and methods for customizing existing client orders that is pretty modular and relatively easier than any equivalents that had to be done with 7th-gen systems and older.

That's one of the chief benefits of the homogenization of modern consumer technology. If Sony's been aggressively redesigning PS5 for a while, they're probably either done with those redesigns or nearing completion on redesigning them. But if other things outside of their control can't be covered, such as sufficient orders of any additional RAM, memory controllers, or wafer production numbers (AMD has many other clients besides Sony and MS they have to guarantee agreed-upon numbers to), then that could cause a delay in launch.

I guess we will see soon enough what's what depending on if there's any genuine reveal event planned between February and (I'm gonna be generous with Sony here even if I think it should be sooner) May. If there's no genuine reveal at least on the level of PS4's by that point, PS5 ain't happening until 2021.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Might be even more than that; with a 320-bit bus minimum and economies of scale, no reason to go flush 2GB and have 20GB. If it's a 384-bit bus (what I'm thinking it is, personally) and flush 2GB, that gives 24GB.

16GB on 320-bit bus would mean 6x 2GB and 4x 1GB. Don't see the point in that to save relative pennies when economies of scale would give 10x 2GB for a very small price increase over 6x 2GB + 4x 1GB modules. If it's meant to be a premium system, put in a premium amount of memory to saturate that capacity potential on that bus.
More than 16 would be an overkill for 1080/1440p machine.

Zero909

Banned

"Boost clock is not reported correctly, although the 3.2GHz boost for this APU is suspiciously close to AMD Flute APU from a while back"
Bruh!

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Doom and gloom. So many pseudo experts on the internet.
These fools never worked on a console or know what goes behind the scenes but keep saying shit like that. lmao
You know it would be the same exact thing if the roles were reversed and this was about Xbox. How many times has the Xbox been said to being leaving the console race?

And the thing about Dealer is he would have found a way to spin that into positive if it was about Xbox.
Of course he would. He's and Xbox fan. Just like a PS fan who makes youtube videos would do the exact same.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Gold Member
So let me get this straight. Ps5 delayed till 2021 9 tf with no exclusives and xbox sex 12tf with 5-9 ecosystem exclusives thats isnt hampered by the base xbox one 2020 release, but in two years none of this matters since we will be playing all our digital lockers on our 1000$ phones and 2000$ pcs. /s
You got it right :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reindeer

That's probably some benchmark funkiness. APU UMA shouldn't have set VRAM amounts.
Agreed, the set number for GPU seems off. You could be right if it's 5600m they're using. Which means Microsoft has reworked Lockhart from its original form.

Last edited:

Niked

Heck, even as I'm entertaining the idea of a dual-GPU PS5 (2x Oberon chips, basically), the 13TF upper limit floating around would see both of those chips underclocked well below their sweetspot. And coming after 2GHz Oberon benchmark tests as late as June of last year (if not later), would probably suggest dual Oberons weren't in the original design...

...just like how dual SH2s weren't in the Saturn's original design. It's interesting to know these historical events enough to spot the parallels. Provided these worst-case fears hold up, Sony can still manage to repair issues behind-the-scenes I feel, even if there's some collateral damage in the process. They have the capital and overall goodwill with developers SEGA was really losing grip of at that time all those years ago (plus I mean, they managed to turn the PS3 around which was no small feat).

But damn if there aren't some odd parallels happening right now.
Well put! I could not have written it any better! I really hope this is not true, but If it is, I really hope Cerny and the rest fix this and get the shit together. Bring awesome hardware and software Sony! Bring it all you have this new decade!!

RookX22

I cant wait for next gen and heres why. 2 years ago my wife bought me parts to build a pc a vega 56 and a ryzen 2700 for Christmas I think it was around 1000$ for everything and I loved it played abunch of fps and esport games on it but then I tried to play ac odyssey and even with everything on low at 1080p I drop in the 50 fps range just running around same with other games like fallout 76 and borderlands 3 in some spots. It just sucks to pay 1000$ and have to deal with unoptimized games and bad drivers. Cant wait for next gen.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
There is no such like reworking or rebuilding for console , PS5 is already in shelfs I believe.. you should know that Mark Cerny is genius Sony wont just delay the reveal because of one or two T fuckin flops .. you saw what PS4 capable of ! .. Death Stranding and TLOU2

Now think about games coming from ND , SP and GG on PS5 ! .. huge step towards better performance better fps and better fast loading.. why the need for too many TFs ??? Don't get it

Reindeer

There is no such like reworking or rebuilding for console , PS5 is already in shelfs I believe.. you should know that Mark Cerny is genius Sony wont just delay the reveal because of one or two T fuckin flops .. you saw what PS4 capable of ! .. Death Stranding and TLOU2

Now think about games coming from ND , SP and GG on PS5 ! .. huge step towards better performance better fps and better fast loading.. why the need for too many TFs ??? Don't get it
Mainly for 4K and also RT would require a powerful GPU to run at decent framerate and resolution.

Lampiao

It seems that Sony doesn't share anything because it has nothing to show. It may be that Ps5 left the 2020 window and went to 2021 or just towards the end of fiscal year 2020.
It would explain why great games could be delayed, so they would not face PS5 marketing that would certainly impact PS4 game sales, even though it was retrocompatibility.

In other words, confirming everything I've been noticing: the 2019 release rumors, the sudden departures, the consistent Gonzalo/Ariel/Oberon leaks and testing benchmarks, the lackluster CES logo reveal, rumors of no reveal in February...

if (and I strongly stress IF) this is in any way true (because I'd honestly rather it not be true)...

...what the hell has been going on over at Sony the past two years?

Ah okay, so that's how the X does it. Kinda like BLEEM! did back in its day, title-by-title. That is certainly the easier approach, but potentially more time-consuming. But probably helps with accuracy more quickly. Tradeoffs, more or less.

Then I could see Sony doing something similar. But could they just try licensing that PS3 emulator on PC that's really mature by now? Strike a deal with those guys and use it in the PS5, I don't think they'd mind.
I really don't think Sony wants to encourage anyone to make Playstation emulators now or in the future. For several reasons.

Reindeer

It seems that Sony doesn't share anything because it has nothing to show. It may be that Ps5 left the 2020 window and went to 2021 or just towards the end of fiscal year 2020.
It would explain why great games could be delayed, so they would not face PS5 marketing that would certainly impact PS4 game sales, even though it was retrocompatibility.
Or they could just be waiting to reveal the console at their own event instead of being forced into giving info by GAF/ResetEra :)

splattered

Sorry but that's kind of silly... of course people are going to want the absolute most amount of power we can get for a $500 console. That's like saying people should have been perfectly happy with the original xbox one instead of upgrading to the One S or One X.

wintersouls

Capcom will announce a great game for PS5 very soon. Code name of "Dusk Golem"
With luck we will see it in the presentation of the console and its first games.

The hype burns me, come on Sony say something.

Neo Blaster

Why is everyone thinking PS5 will be delayed if the leak was talking about that Capcom game being revealed at E3 2019? Doesn't that mean Sony started reworking the console even before that, probably due to the original 2019 release plans? Jim has just said Holidays 2020 less than a month ago at CES, it wouldn't make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom