• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinex

Neo Member
I'm new here, but seriously what's wrong with most of people here?? I mean Shu has said that the devs told him that the ps5 is the easiest console that they've ever developed for.
Jason schreier said that MS has been well behind Sony w/r/t in communication, plus he said both consoles are similar in power (and both sound VERY powerful) . Ll Both consoles are pretty much done at this point with some updates going forward...

quest

Not Banned from OT
So even if they can somehow manage to drop the price from $450 to $299 then Lockhart will still cost more with it having a better CPU and GPU. They’d also need a regular 5400RPM HDD to try hit $350
There is no point of lockheart unless it is close to mainstream price of 299.99. It is to transition gamepass families off of the xbox one to the series s before game support ends the following holiday season.

Reindeer

So even if they can somehow manage to drop the price from $450 to $299 then Lockhart will still cost more with it having a better CPU and GPU. They’d also need a regular 5400RPM HDD to try hit $350
Or they could just include slower SSD in it. Remember Microsoft aren't paying retail prices for these parts. I agree, they might not make $299, but $349 should be just about doable with X dropping to $299.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
There is no point of lockheart unless it is close to mainstream price of 299.99. It is to transition gamepass families off of the xbox one to the series s before game support ends the following holiday season.

That’s not realistic though when you need to account for X and S prices beneath that.

Reindeer

But the offcial price is the focus... not the discount, at least if people want to talk about price vs Series X.
Those aren't really discounts, those are normal prices at many retailers these days. You can't get them for 300 to 290 on real discounts.

ethomaz

Banned
I thought the fall 2019 rumor was to stupid to be true. It all seems to be true now with all the leaks. The Sony kits being so much more polished makes sense since they planned a early launch. The many spins of the chips ect. Good thing Sony has top flight engineers to bail out the suits from a dumb ass decision. I have 0 doubts the PS5 be just ahead of the series x but Sony will be eating a lot of money from selling at a loss and the missed launch and redesign. It explains the shake up at Sony this year. I can't wait for the book about the chaos of 2019 at Sony and how the studios and engineers bailed them out.
I don't believe it was a decision at all... they really wanted to release in 2019.
7nm took too much time to be ready.

As they have one more year to work they probably migrate to RDNA... that is the redesign they are talking about.

But nothing that happened in 2019... it was in 2018... in 2019 in June they already have the redesign done... actual RDNA chip.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
come on Sony we're dying here

oF6FeGB.gif

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Or they could just include slower SSD in it. Remember Microsoft aren't paying retail prices for these parts. I agree, they might not make $299, but $349 should be just about doable with X dropping to $299.

So for just $50 extra you get a far better CPU a slightly better GPU and an SSD!?

quest

Not Banned from OT
That’s not realistic though when you need to account for X and S prices beneath that.
Those won't be manufactured anymore if MS times it right there should be few X's in the chain this fall. The one s and sad will be sold down over a couple of years 149.99 and 179.99 or about.

Fake

Those aren't really discounts, those are normal prices at many retailers these days. You can't get them for 300 to 290 on real discounts.
Don't matter if this is the amazon or walmart price. When Xbox series X get the price reveal will be the 'standart price'. The comparison will be between both standart vs standart.

Reindeer

So for just $50 extra you get a far better CPU a slightly better GPU and an SSD!?
AMD is not the same company it was 3 years ago, they have far more powerful hardware these days selling for a lot cheaper. Their mobile CPUs are now performing on level of some high end desktop CPUs like 9700K. You can get way more than what you could from AMD 3 years ago.

Last edited:
If Sony was planing to release in 2019 and delayed it In 2018, they they already had an apu from amd in 2018 before the delay happened (1 year before launch ). So either Sony has another amd chip or they will be making many changes to existing one like Oberon E1 we keep hearing about.

let’s see how it goes .

DaGwaphics

These aren't off the shelf parts. Lockhart, (even at this new 7tf number -- sounds higher than necessary) will have a smaller chip than the Xbone X (= cheaper, doesn't matter what transistors are on there). Even 16GB of GDDR6 is likely cheaper than the 12GB of GDDR5 in the X (certainly at launch - I would almost assume this would only be 12GB 6 chips tbh.) assuming less chips and a narrower bus. The X has a 7200rpm 2.5", keep in mind that those retailed in 2017 for the same or only slightly less than a cheaper NVMe does today (which MS is rumored to be using), and MS would have good volume.

Not saying Lockhart will see the light of day, just pointing out that you are pricing based on performance and that's not how consoles (or any type of computer tech) work when there are years in between market dates.

Last edited:

Niked

If some of you guys spent as much time worrying about your own well-being as much as you do about billion dollar companies well-being you might be millionaires already.
Tell me what you hold dear to your heart and I will use this logic and reason.

geordiemp

Isn't Xbox releasing at the same time? Why does everyone want/think Sony will have a meeting before Xbox? I know that's how it went last time but...why wouldn't Xbox change from last time considering how it turned out?

Beats me, Sony should show something soony....lol, and reveal prices after MS ...why go first....?

They cant make them in volume and sell them until winter anyway.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
AMD is not the same company it was 3 years ago, they have far more powerful hardware these days selling for a lot cheaper. Their mobile CPUs are now performing on level of some high end desktop CPUs like 9700K. You can get way more than what you could from AMD 3 years ago.

Ehhh, MS has never been that aggressive on pricing. Remember SAD?

Reindeer

Don't matter if this is the amazon or walmart price. When Xbox series X get the price reveal will be the 'standart price'. The comparison will be between both standart vs standart.
Consumers don't care about what the official prices are, they care about the price that are at retailers.

schaft0620

Thats just not true thought I was pretty clear I do know the specs on both systems its why i can put a 10% power difference in them.

I have tried making it clear most of my info leans towards the 12 TF area with one guy who is not my top dog telling me he thinks its single digits.

I have said before if I was forced to make a bet I would go 12 tfs but with this one guy telling me its single digits I believe he at least believes that as I am very good friends with him.

I hope I have spelled it out well enough on my thoughts

Then there's the issue of the devkit having more power than the final retail release. Which could be the case, that's not abnormal.

Last edited:

Niked

I bet we dont get any info from Sony this week. We will se nothing in February. In Mars Sony will announce they delay PS5 to Q2 2021. The next generation will be a hard lesson for arrogant and lazy Sony. Im looking forward to PS6 and a hungry and competitive Sony that holds no prisoners!....
This is a let down

Last edited:

Reindeer

Ehhh, MS has never been that aggressive on pricing. Remember SAD?
$349 for underpowered console is not that aggressive considering Sony sold most powerful console (PS4) for its time for $399. Sure Microsoft sold of Xbox One for $499, but it was mainly due to Kinekt inclusion.

Last edited:

Fake

The X is pointless and expensive to manufacture. There should be plenty of xbox ones for a last holiday season so no point in keeping up heavy volume of those especially when you need people off them in 2021 for gamepass.
X is not pointless if the price of Lockhart and Series X will be more than X. Don't know in what place you guys are getting so confidence for saying about next gen price being low.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I bet we dont get any info from Sony this week. We will se nothing in February. In Mars Sony will announce they delay PS5 to Q2 2021. The next generation will be a hard lesson for arrogant and lazy Sony. Im looking forward to PS6 and a hungry and competitive Sony that hold no prisoners!....
This is a let down
But if they delay wouldn't that be them taking time to get it right?

And yeah I know it's a joke

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

How do you know that? lol

IF, they have low priced sku, it's pointless to keep manufacturing the old units (since the new ones have full back compat). Just because MS is bringing games to xbone for a year or two longer doesn't equate to them selling those boxes. The announcement regarding continued software support could even be intended to blunt the response from xbone being dropped like a hot potato.

Fake

Will you care what Apple's official prices are on iPhones if all the retailer's sell them for a lot cheaper? No you won't.
Yes I do LOL. Don't use your own methodology as a parameter for consumer view. Consumers YES does care about the official price. All consumers care? No, of course not. Some? Probably. Saying consumers don't care is a bit of exaggeration.

Last edited:

Niked

But if they delay wouldn't that be them taking time to get it right?

And yeah I know it's a joke
Kind of not a joke... The signs are there that something went wrong behind the scenes.
But Yeah, Its better to delay and make the best of it.. PS3 all over again.. And a reprise of the SEGA like situation.. But hopefully with a much better outcome..

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Did you remember The Order 1886 launch on PS4 ? Do you remember the breathtaking graphics and stunning visuals? .. we were like " holy sh!t " .. yes it turned out the game was short and QTE everywhere BUT ..

Now think about their new AAA project third person action adventure on PS5 .. I can't imagine the Visuals and graphics we are going to see beside i hope it has a great story

I'm so excited about it

Bligtgate

They can’t delay.. this will cost them millions and it makes no sense for Sony to do that... instead they should work on ps5 pro for 2022-23

bitbydeath

Gold Member
$349 for underpowered console is not that aggressive considering Sony sold most powerful console (PS4) fro its time for $399. Sure Microsoft sold of Xbox One for $499, but it was mainly due to Kinekt inclusion.

You had a $150 difference between S and X but just $50 between X and Lockhart which is arguably a similar jump in tech. $350 would be at a massive loss, I doubt MS could afford it.

Reindeer

Yes I do LOL. Don't use your own methodology as a parameter for consumer view. Consumers YES does care about the official price. All consumers care? No, of course not. Some? Probably.
Ok lol, maybe some like you will care, but will it effect your purchasing decision? Of course it won't since that decision is based on the retail price. The official price for SAD is still $250, but it's selling for $200 in most places and you can even find it for $180 with 150 and 130 being good discount prices. You purchasing decision isn't going to be effected by that $250 official Microsoft price since that's not what you're paying.

Reindeer

You had a $150 difference between S and X but just $50 between X and Lockhart which is arguably a similar jump in tech. $350 would be at a massive loss, I doubt MS could afford it.
How's $350 a massive loss on underpowered console when Sony were selling PS4 for no loss at $399?

martino

Did you remember The Order 1886 launch on PS4 ? Do you remember the breathtaking graphics and stunning visuals? .. we were like " holy sh!t " .. yes it turned out the game was short and QTE everywhere BUT ..

Now think about their new AAA project third person action adventure on PS5 .. I can't imagine the Visuals and graphics we are going to see beside i hope it has a great story

I'm so excited about it

i remember well the huge black bar.that was bad visually

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Just keep in mind that XSX is the Xbone X equivalent in this scenario (big apu and all that). Lockhart would be a cheaper console, smaller chips, fewer memory chips, etc.

Fake

Just keep in mind that XSX is the Xbone X equivalent in this scenario (big apu and all that). Lockhart would be a cheaper console, smaller chips, fewer memory chips, etc.
What your definition for 'cheaper'? If windows central was right, both Lockhart and Series X have a Ryzen CPU, unlike the expensive Xbox One X with an overclocked Jaguar CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom