• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Treehouse Live @ E3 2016 Thread [*LIVE*] (No childish commentary allowed)

hemo memo

Gold Member
okay just came here, this is very long did they show something new? I watched Pokemon then Zelda any big news i've missed after that?

Firemind

The tech theme might vary as you progress, or something, but they are essentially challenge rooms away from the main game, as opposed to part of the surrounding environment. In fact it seems like the tech stuff is deliberately alien to the surrounding environments, and I'm sure that'll be explained in the game.

I get what you are saying, but I think I can see why it's the way it is.

If it is just 4 main dungeons, I'd be amazed if they aren't massive and completely different graphically/thematically from each other.
To use another example: I thought the Lanayru Mining Facility in Skyward Sword was too out there, with the conveyor belts and the floating robots and everything, but I loved the Sandship even though it incorporates some of the advanced tech used by the ancient robots.

I still can't get over those last two shrines. How could thy have possibly created such a massive open world and still have created these amazing puzzles? It's seriously amazing.

I think it's mostly due to the way they approached the structure.
It doesn't look like the puzzles can be solved in those later shrines without first exploring the plateau and gaining the Shieka Slate abilities from the more tutorial-y levels.
Once they know what items you've got they can basically go nuts with the solutions to puzzles and attempt to lock you out of the shrine because they expect you to have the tools necessary to tackle it's challenges.

It's honestly a much, MUCH better approach to free-roaming Zelda design than what we got from ALBW. So even if you don't like open worlds, like me, you can at least have fun with the traditional core engagement of modern LoZ games.
:p

Calvero

Banned
Kit said link has been asleep for 100 years, it's possible let he was just exaggerating for humor but I don't remember them ever saying why link was asleep

Oh that. It's been known through outlets like Kotaku. It's official information from Nintendo, pretty sure.

Pandy

To use another example: I thought the Lanayru Mining Facility in Skyward Sword was too out there, with the conveyor belts and the floating robots and everything, but I loved the Sandship even though it incorporates some of the advanced tech used by the ancient robots.

I can totally understand this. From a gameplay perspective Lanayru is great, but the payoff doesn't really come until the Sandship.

As a note: Majora's Mask only had 4 dungeons. I was fine with that.

Were four dungeons confirmed? Pretty sure Nintendo's been playing their cards very close to their chest on anything that might expose the main quest beyond a very poorly disguised King of Hyrule sweeping in like Kaepora Gaebora from time to time.

They did open the treehouse by talking about how big the world is and how the demo only represents 1% of the explorable area. For such an expansive world to only be home to four dungeons is going to evoke memories of the poor spacing of content that garnered Wind Waker a fair amount of scorn. Many dozens of much smaller shrines isn't going to save the game from those parallels being drawn.

Mortemis

Banned
What a show. I checked in every 30 minutes or so and watched the stream, caught up with news, but in all it was amazing. This game looks incredible and most of all really fun. It was already my most anticipated game but now it's that plus a mile.

When Nintendo said that they'd only bring Zelda to E3 I was pissed, but now funny thing is I feel more satisfied than I did from last year's e3. Great job by the treehouse peeps too, they were great.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Tech's been inserting itself into the series ever since Wind Waker, if not prior. I like how coherent the aesthetic actually is throughout the main entries.

HowZatOZ

Banned
4 dungeons were never confirmed, it's an Emily Rogers rumor.
Dunno why people still take her ad gospel.

I'd actually like to see a counter to her name on how many times her rumours have been wrong. Honestly everything is going to be such a surprise come NX reveal, so excited.

I've stopped watching now as I"m too hyped and want to enjoy the game as unspoilered as I can be. Fuck this game is going to devour so much of my time.

atbigelow

4 dungeons were never confirmed, it's an Emily Rogers rumor.
Dunno why people still take her ad gospel.

It was someone elses rumor and she said she heard similar things. Nobody is taking her as gospel; rumors are rumors. No need to burn her at the stake.

I'd actually like to see a counter to her name on how many times her rumours have been wrong. Honestly everything is going to be such a surprise come NX reveal, so excited.

I've stopped watching now as I"m too hyped and want to enjoy the game as unspoilered as I can be. Fuck this game is going to devour so much of my time.
She was 2/3 for her Zelda rumors. That's pretty solid for rumors.

Firemind

Tech's been inserting itself into the series ever since Wind Waker, if not prior. I like how coherent the aesthetic actually is throughout the main entries.
I don't mind tech. I like it more if it's ALSO on a fantastic setting such as a ghost ship led by an undead pirate captain.

Amazing

Ck8lLnzVAAA9mzy.jpg:large

Addi

Even if there are "only" four dungeons, I don't get all the complains. They are trying to break with the Oot-formula, something people wanted, but when they actually change something, people are complaining. You have 100+ mini-dungeons for the puzzle solving and a lot of mini-bosses roaming around, for me it seems to lessen the importance of dungeons, or the other way around, if you already have all that stuff, the dungeons have to be epic as shit to top all the other stuff.

valouris

Well there were 4 shrines in the E3 demo, so maybe this info got misunderstood and evolved into the 4 dungeons rumour? Perhaps? Even so, 4 dungeons could be fine if they are big, unique and epic, and there are side quests to do on the open world, apart from orbs and koroks.

Also, on an unrelated note, when they said that Link had changed hairstyle, it really seemed like it was a complete gender swap, so I wouldn't count the gender choice out completely. We have been hearing conflicting things from E3 maybe because people are only talking about the demo they are showing, and not the full game (like the towns thing).

Chaos17

Well there were 4 shrines in the E3 demo, so maybe this info got misunderstood and evolved into the 4 dungeons rumour? Perhaps? Even so, 4 dungeons could be fine if they are big, unique and epic, and there are side quests to do on the open world, apart from orbs and koroks.

I don't care about her rumors specialy when I just saw 5 hours of gameplay it worth any rumored tweets.

Firemind

Even if there are "only" four dungeons, I don't get all the complains. They are trying to break with the Oot-formula, something people wanted, but when they actually change something, people are complaining. You have 100+ mini-dungeons for the puzzle solving and a lot of mini-bosses roaming around, for me it seems to lessen the importance of dungeons, or the other way around, if you already have all that stuff, the dungeons have to be epic as shit to top all the other stuff.
They only have to look at Shadow of the Colossus.

I mean, the dungeons in TP are the absolute best parts of the game. It's only because the rest is dogshit, but that shouldn't lessen the impact of a well-designed dungeon. I'm not saying more is better, but I would like dungeons to have an epic atmosphere and theme, yes.

The wii u and Nx one was not really difficult... But she is (maybe) right about the VA. We just heard the female voice, not the old man or the monks so.... Maybe

Yeah, hard to count anything other than NX version in her favor, and it was effectively common speculation at that point (I think it would have only been surprising if there wasn't an NX version).

We can give her an INC on the "voice acting for most of the characters" thing, but it's definitely not a point for her. AFAIK we've heard one VA despite seeing four or five NPCs. Maybe it's different. Maybe it's just the demo. But grading that one as INC is as generous as one can get, I think.

And of course female protag is wrong.

Calm Mind

but most of the time was wasting on going nowhere and jumping from savefiles and showing the basics

This is true but you do realize as big as the Plateau seems its size and content pales in comparison to the rest of the game. What was shown in the E3 demo isn't even the final version of the Plateau.

Top Bottom