• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For October 2016

Trup1aya

Those are the launch numbers. Across both Xbox and 360. I don't agree with your perspective.

What you see as a lack of growth for Halo, I see as a extremely solid and loyal fan base that existed even on the original Xbox (it also sold >3 mil also).

I'm sure MS saw a decline coming with Halo. But I just don't see them forseeing a 70% decline.

Much of that "loyal fanbase" didn't have or want the console required to play the game. Especially after MCC was broken for over a year.

And that 3 mil in a month was never just core fans, it was casual and core fans alike.

Edit: what you see with h5 launch is what happens when only your remaining core fans show up after many are lost to Sony and MCC...casual fans have many more popular options

Halo is a series that still lives mostly on its campaign.

Having 2 shitty campaigns in a row was always going to hurt. Halo 6 is make or break now.

No argument for me there. I found Halo 4 utterly garbage and was one of the Halo fans (bought every Halo game day 1) who dropped rhe series. Along with a few other friends I know.

Much of that "loyal fanbase" didn't have or want the console required to play the game. Especially after MCC was broken for over a year.

And that 3 mil in a month was never just core fans, it was casual and core fans alike.

I'm not arguing that a drop wasn't expected or forseen. I'm talking about a 70% drop, which wasn't forseen.

And to that end, we're just going to agree to disagree. So let's just do that.

Chobel

Either Titanfall 2 had no hype whatsoever at reveal or the MP test felt fucking horrible to everyone, and I have hard time believing the later because even if Titanfall 2 gameplay was worse than its prequel, it was still great game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
3/4 of those the sequel did (improved graphics, slide, campaign).

The "winning" formula that lost most of its players within 6 months?

Did you actually read my post?

The sequel did ALL of them. But then they kept going and changed stuff that didn't require changing.

Kill3r7

Either Titanfall 2 had no hype whatsoever at reveal or the MP test felt fucking horrible to everyone, and I have hard time believing the later because even if Titanfall 2 gameplay was worse than its prequel, it was still great game.

Chobel, we already know that good/great gameplay does not correlate to strong sales.

Welfare

Even this game outsold Titanfall 2. Look what you done EA

The Tech Test completely put me off. TF1 was my favorite game in 2014 and was hyped for the sequel. Tech test plus Respawn saying they wanted to dumb down the game for new players sealed the deal for me. The easiest sequel you could do and you screw it up.

I can wait for it to go in the EA Access Vault.

Chobel

Chobel, we already know that good/great gameplay does not correlate to strong sales.

I know, just trying to say that Titanfall 2 wasn't hyped at all, it wasn't because MP test was not as good as the first one.

The Tech Test completely put me off. TF1 was my favorite game in 2014 and was hyped for the sequel. Tech test plus Respawn saying they wanted to dumb down the game for new players sealed the deal for me. The easiest sequel you could do and you screw it up.

I can wait for it to go in the EA Access Vault.

Do you think the majority felt the same as you? Just talking personally here, I may feel disappointed if a game was a step down from its prequels but as long as it offer great gameplay (which it's not copied by any other game) then I wouldn't lose my hype.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

The tech test DID feel horrible. It didn't feel like Titanfall.

It felt like CoD. If I wanted future CoD I would have bought BLOPS3.

I know, just trying to say that Titanfall 2 wasn't hyped at all, it wasn't because MP test was not as good as the first one.

Sorry but you're wrong on this one. The tech test did the majority of the damage and the release date finished it off.

jayu26

-Gears of War 4 sold ~415K / 505K
-Uncharted 4 879k / <950k

Who would believe this some time ago?

Perviously on NPD prediction thread...
jayu26 said:
Gears vs Uncharted talk! I see it's time for outlandish predictions and avatar bets. I will begin.

I bet that Gears 4 will do just over half the Uncharted 4 numbers in there respective first month on US NPD.
wapplew said:
Holiday vs May on US with Gears being the bigger IP? You're going to lose.
Ryng_tolu said:
Only HALF of Uncharted 4? I accept.
jayu26 said:
Well I did say outlandish predictions.

Here is the thing though. Let's say UC4 does 1.5 million (I know a lot of you don't think it will) then half that is 750k and around 800k just over half that. Which would be excellent result for Gears 4, judging from how well the MS exclusives are doing this generation. So, in that sense I guess I am predicting UC4 to do better than most people rather than predicting Gears to do bad.
Ryng_tolu said:
People underestimate Gears, imo.

The Halo series was already in declined, before Halo 5, and it released just after that bad Master Chief Collection.

Gears with the third game was at it's peak, and remember that last holidays LOT of people bought the Gears of War definitive edition with the XBO bundle, just like the Nathan Drake collection.

First NPD for Gears should be bigger than Halo since will be a 3 weeks month.
RexNovis said:
Oh no. Jayu back down while you still can. Nobody deserves to lose to Ryng. Nobody.
jayu26 said:
I'm prepared to down with the ship. It's all fun and games anyway.
Ryng_tolu said:
So, Gears first month to sell more than half of Uncharted 4 first month?
jayu26 said:
I said slightly more than half. You can decide how much is slightly.
Ryng_tolu said:
2/3 maybe? Like: If Uncharted ~1m then Gears ~666k.

Or if Uncharted ~1.5m then Gears ~1m ecc.

:D

...and now...

Get yourself unbanned Ryng_tolu, we have unfinished business.

Ah whatever. Both did less than I thought they would. Fuck 2016.

wlWIwOa.gif

freefornow

In regards to Gears, does anyone know the 360 install base in the US when Gears 3 launched? What is the current US install base of the XB1? (October 16)

e-gamer

Gears 4 sold 57% of Uncharted 4's sales in may.

This is certainly a surprise, at least for me.

Not so surprise for me. The october-november launch window is hard to keep people interested in anything besides COD/Battlefield plus some sports games.

But I believe in Gears 4 legs. Uncharted 4 was launched after some delays in a launch-windows with no competition at all.

allan-bh

Not so surprise for me. The october-november launch window is hard to keep people interested in anything besides COD/Battlefield plus some sports games.

But I believe in Gears 4 legs. Uncharted 4 was launched after some delays in a launch-windows with no competition at all.

I was totally delusional about Gears 4, after seeing Halo 5 below 1 million I thought that Gears maybe would surpass Halo.

It funny that UC4 could do as much as gears and halo combine WW. ( thanks to bundles)
If someone was to say that was even possible before the gen start .
They would be call more than crazy .
Just go to show how big MS IP drop in there strongest markets and they don't have the rest of the world to help .

As for TR SE got what was coming to them .

Lol. I didn't expect to win this one after those Uncharted numbers came in.

I would trade my win for better software sales across the board.

Here's to hoping 2017 is better.

Thing is those UC numbers show growth for the IP in USA .
Halo and gears just drop really bad .

Sterok

Considering Twilight Princess HD did 300K, I almost want to say that's disappointing for Skyrim seeing how much bigger it was. But nah, that's a great for a remaster, and I imagine it will continue to sell well for awhile.

Gears is just the latest in a long line of declining MS IPs. Happened to Nintendo when the 3DS and Wii U didn't match their predecessors. They can come back if MS really gets their act going again (in both hardware and software). Battlefield feels like it should've been bigger given the hype, but it'll probably have long legs. Titanfall, well anyone could see that coming.

Chobel

I don't, judging by UK charts its legs are OK at best.

Welfare

Considering Twilight Princess HD did 300K, I almost want to say that's disappointing for Skyrim seeing how much bigger it was. But nah, that's a great for a remaster, and I imagine it will continue to sell well for awhile.

Gears is just the latest in a long line of declining MS IPs. Happened to Nintendo when the 3DS and Wii U didn't match their predecessors. They can come back if MS really gets their act going again (in both hardware and software). Battlefield feels like it should've been bigger given the hype, but it'll probably have long legs. Titanfall, well anyone could see that coming.
TP had the entire month of March to do 300k. Skyrim did 400k in 2 days.

I think Gears of War 4 will do a couple of million or more in the end. It's not the draw it once was but it's still a good exclusive to have.

It was an excellent game in my opinion, but it's also familiar.

You can only go to the well so many times... MS has been spoilt with Halo.

Top Bottom