• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NXGamer] The Best Graphics/Technology of 2021

GymWolf

Ehyvk5s.png

just a quick screenshot from youtube.

noticeable is your salt
Just a bit of advice, when you search high quality pics for big games, type the name of the game + resetera + screenshot, they may be a bunch of woke morons, but they have some neat photoshoting skills.

Look at the screens i posted.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
We are not discussing what is better, but choice words like, horrendous. For now, in the gaming arena, there is nothing really better (the fur) and it looks great, especially when water droplets tesselate each spot it hits, as algorithms mature and they find better ways, it will of course evolve. Nobody is arguing that, it is common sense.
Understand your position. I'm just saying the fur TO ME isn't anything special because the shading is the same as any other fur in games. If we want to say that since the fur in the cutscenes is using actual curve primitives and that's what make it superior, I can agree with that. But the fur while playing the game isn't anything special at all. It looks very similar to many other games with the typical hair shading. The most impressive fur I've seen while in gameplay is the Black Myth demo.

SLB1904

Banned
Just a bit of advice, when you search high quality pics for big games, type the name of the game + resetera + screenshot, they may be a bunch of woke morons, but they have some neat photoshoting skills.

Look at the screens i posted.
i was so confident that i could see the fur even from a shitty youtube video. that's why i didn't bother to look further

GymWolf

Understand your position. I'm just saying the fur TO ME isn't anything special because the shading is the same as any other fur in games. If we want to say that since the fur in the cutscenes is using actual curve primitives and that's what make it superior, I can agree with that. But the fur while playing the game isn't anything special at all. It looks very similar to many other games with the typical hair shading. The most impressive fur I've seen while in gameplay is the Black Myth demo.

Yeah but wukong is kinda of a nothingburger until he get actually released on the market.

SLB1904

Banned

lJPzlfJ.jpg

VFXVeteran

Banned
Looked through my screens.
First one is gameplay, 2nd one is cutscene. There is clearly a fur in both.
Maybe you need a bigger screen or sit closer

ckZdO1X.jpg

fpUAg9l.jpg
Yes, the shading looks flat. Her hair is in shadow and there is no shadowing at all on her fur. That's technically wrong and unrealistic. The gameplay obviously doesn't have as much detail which is typical of all cinematics vs. gameplay assets.

Pedro Motta

Why is it that everyone can compare a game like R&C to Pixar movies (which is CG) freely without being dragged in the mud for doing so, but when I compare it to CG, I am being silly?
I think when people say it's "PIxar-like" or "CG-like", I don't believe they are saying that all the rendering features of offline rendering are being used, more like a metaphore for the quality of the realtime rendering. You're making too much case out of it.

When I say my car is "Tha bomb" I'm not implying it's going to blow up.

GHG

Season 2 Love GIF by LoveIslandUSA

That game is unreleased, could be bullshots/vaporware and you're trying to prop it up over a game that has already released in a thread about 2021 games?

What are you trying to achieve here?

arvfab

Banned

So when (if?) Black Myth will be released, it can take the furry crown from R&C. Until then, R&C is the king. Understood.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes, the shading looks flat. Her hair is in shadow and there is no shadowing at all on her fur. That's technically wrong and unrealistic. The gameplay obviously doesn't have as much detail which is typical of all cinematics vs. gameplay assets.
You need to fullscreen that gaemplay image. The detail is there. of a bit less than cinematic
as for the shading in 2nd pic - There is a bright source in front. The whole front of the ship is glass. And it is probably artificially lighted. I don't see where a shadow would be on her ear

Last edited:

Zathalus

I agree with Metro, but dont agree at all with you dismissing what Returnal does

Its not simple as "added particles". They are all emissive lights, each one of them. And in some scenes there are thousands of them.

+ destructible environments + huge areas and bosses + 60 fps + no loading at all

Not saying that it is mindblowing, but compared to those other games, it deserves to be there
Don't bother arguing with him. He has been shitting on Playstation exclusive games as far back as God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn on resetera as I recall. He literally said Horizon Zero Dawn was the least graphically impressive game for the year when it launched back in 2017.

Basically, if it's not on PC it sucks.

Grow up fanboy, what have I said that's trolling exactly? That I think FS should be on the list, that's hardly a controversial take since it's generally accepted as being one of the best looking games of all time.
Seriously get a life.

Didn't NXGamer NXGamer already have it on his list for the year it came out?

As for Metro I think it's because the reworked next gen versions were released this year. Biggest addition was the Full RT illumination if I'm not wrong.

Hunnybun

God, these screens. Ratchet is such a fucking ludicrously beautiful game.

It's painful knowing that this is what these consoles can do in the right hands and yet being forced to wait so long for the results.

Horizon will help, but even that isn't quite at that level.

Tripolygon

Banned
nah. i argue with a lot of people these 2 just argue in bad faith.
Ding ding ding.

Imagine coming to a 2021 best graphics and technology thread to argue that a game released in 2020 should be on the list because a port was released 2021. A port that added nothing at all to the graphics rendering. And then saying a game where the entirely lighting pipeline was changed from baked to real-time raytraced GI and saying it’s the same thing.

GHG

Didn't NXGamer NXGamer already have it on his list for the year it came out?

As for Metro I think it's because the reworked next gen versions were released this year. Biggest addition was the Full RT illumination if I'm not wrong.

It's already been explained to him by multiple people. Don't waste your time or afford him the benefit of the doubt, he knows what he's doing.

His argument boils down to "why didn't he show the Series S any love 😭😭😭"

In a best of graphics technology thread of all things. Zero logic.

I guarantee if something like FH5 took the number 1 spot he wouldn't be clogging this thread up with his shite.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

First the fur isn't there during gameplay(proven wrong)and now you are saying the fur isn't anything special.
GdFnhrC.gif

Has no ammunition so looks for a game that is a different genre and doesn't even have a release date to try and bail himself out.

(No disrespect to Black Myth)

S0ULZB0URNE

Don't bother arguing with him. He has been shitting on Playstation exclusive games as far back as God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn on resetera as I recall. He literally said Horizon Zero Dawn was the least graphically impressive game for the year when it launched back in 2017.

Basically, if it's not on PC it sucks.
Dude buys playstation consoles just to shit on its abilities.

arvfab

Banned
I think when people say it's "PIxar-like" or "CG-like", I don't believe they are saying that all the rendering features of offline rendering are being used, more like a metaphore for the quality of the realtime rendering. You're making too much case out of it.

When I say my car is "Tha bomb" I'm not implying it's going to blow up.

It's also not like CGI is or was always perfect...

This is Pixar, too

and I'm still not sure how the characters in Frozen could hear each other without any ear holes...

Riky

$MSFT
Ding ding ding.

Imagine coming to a 2021 best graphics and technology thread to argue that a game released in 2020 should be on the list because a port was released 2021. A port that added nothing at all to the graphics rendering. And then saying a game where the entirely lighting pipeline was changed from baked to real-time raytraced GI and saying it’s the same thing.

Did Ride 4 have its entire graphics pipeline changed? No it didn't, so your argument falls down.

S0ULZB0URNE

Grow up fanboy, what have I said that's trolling exactly? That I think FS should be on the list, that's hardly a controversial take since it's generally accepted as being one of the best looking games of all time.
Seriously get a life.
Your choice is a 2020 candidate.
You don't like the choices but are hanging in this thread because?

You claim to own a PS5, why can't you be happy for the nominees and winners?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Seriously get a life.
We get shit because its not inline with their thinking. Plain and simple. I got shit for UE5 demo until it came out and the guys over at Epic had to reveal the truth about Nanite and how it can run easily on a basic HDD. Got shit for the PC getting PS exclusives and being released much sooner than 3-5yrs like people "wished". Same thing with Ray-Traced lighting being way more accurate and better than GI probe lighting. I've just become numb to their reactions at this point..

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Your choice is a 2020 candidate.
You don't like the choices but are hanging in this thread because?

You claim to own a PS5, why can't you be happy for the nominees and winners?

I don't "claim" to own a PS5 I do, last troll who tried to pull that one got embarrassed by my PSN account.
I haven't actually questioned any of the winners, like to link to where I did? I actually said I would put Flight Sim above Forza Horizon 5 in my original post, I haven't even mentioned the PS games, that's all in your mind.
Also like I've already said Metro and Ride 4 are also not originally from 2021, so it's a fair point to bring up.

JayDucker

We get shit because its not inline with their thinking. Plain and simple. I got shit for UE5 demo until it came out and the guys over at Epic had to reveal the truth about Nanite and how it can run easily on a basic HDD. Got shit for the PC getting PS exclusives and being released much sooner than 3-5yrs like people "wished". Same thing with Ray-Traced lighting being way more accurate and better than GI probe lighting. I've just become numb to their reactions at this point..
I was wondering why your tag thing read as Professional Victim.

I'm not wondering any more.

GHG

whats-real-is-our-superior-intellect-bo-dallas.gif

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So you are doublinng down on the fur disapearing in gameplay despite multiple evidences proving the contrary?Because so far it seems like that's why most people disagrees in this thread.So maybe, just maybe, you can understand how calling the fur horrendous might have been hyperbolic and earned you a bit of a backlash.And again, maybe , it wasn't the smartest of answers to call the victim card considering your tag.

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't "claim" to own a PS5 I do, last troll who tried to pull that one got embarrassed by my PSN account.
I haven't actually questioned any of the winners, like to link to where I did? I actually said I would put Flight Sim above Forza Horizon 5 in my original post, I haven't even mentioned the PS games, that's all in your mind.
Also like I've already said Metro and Ride 4 are also not originally from 2021, so it's a fair point to bring up.
Bruh...How many posts you have in this thread?

Metro Exodus got 2021 upgraded on all current gen devices so it is a candidate for best visuals in 2021.
It's in multiple best 2021 visual nominations lists.
So in the case of Metro you are wrong.

Riky

$MSFT

Yeah the Nanite stuff turned out to be the case, they actually said the engine doesn't need that sort of bandwith at all, I suppose that's another thread though.

It's already been explained to him by multiple people. Don't waste your time or afford him the benefit of the doubt, he knows what he's doing.

His argument boils down to "why didn't he show the Series S any love 😭😭😭"

In a best of graphics technology thread of all things. Zero logic.

I guarantee if something like FH5 took the number 1 spot he wouldn't be clogging this thread up with his shite.

Take Ratchet for example. If it was released on PC this year it would definitely be better than the PS5 version. You could play the game at higher settings with RT at 4K 60FPs for example. But it shouldn't be on any list since it's essentially a game that was released last year. Now if they rebuilt it for PC and redid the visuals I could see it being on a list. But just being the same thing but at different settings isn't enough in my opinion.

Riky

$MSFT
Take Ratchet for example. If it was released on PC this year it would definitely be better than the PS5 version. You could play the game at higher settings with RT at 4K 60FPs for example. But it shouldn't be on any list since it's essentially a game that was released last year. Now if they rebuilt it for PC and redid the visuals I could see it being on a list. But just being the same thing but at different settings isn't enough in my opinion.

So why is Ride 4 on there?

Like I said way back, FS on consoles is a new thing and it actually led to changes in the PC version that was then changed to the GOTY version which is a 2021 release. Even if we agree it's a 2020 game then I think it justifies a mention, just like Ride 4. Anyway that's my opinion and I'm out of this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom