• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Holy shit… lol.

If it makes you feel any better, I legitimately thought the chase everyone has been linking in this thread was like a tiktok or Instagram video ragging on how poorly done it was in the show. I was like "This dude hamming up his lines, and the guys looking like Piccolo, it's just BAD,"

Then I realized it was actual footage from the show.

ManaByte

Gold Member
mPCSoA8.png

Last edited:

Hugare

FUEOAUeWYAYgn7X

FUEOAUeXEAAC_8Q

I wonder where they got that from?

Oh.

UxD91tP.png
7gAh1xv.png
There'll always be some crazies out there, especially if you are a new adition in a franchise consisted by so many men children

You have to grow a thick skin and deal with it

Hayden suffered the same without being black. The freaking KID that played Young Anakin suffered huge amounts from "fans"

Not saying that racism is ok, of course not. But show it to autorities and move on.

Exposing them in social media wont do shit to change the situation, on the contrary, they will know that they are getting into your head

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
There'll always be some crazies out there, especially if you are a new adition in a franchise consisted by so many men children

You have to grow a thick skin and deal with it

Hayden suffered the same without being black. The freaking KID that played Young Anakin suffered huge amounts from "fans"

Not saying that racism is ok, of course not. But show it to autorities and move on.

Exposing them in social media wont do shit to change the situation, on the contrary, they will know that they are getting into your head
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrit...-diagnosed-with-schizophrenia-report-w202212/

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44708983

Melon Husk

Ah yes the diverse alien races of Star Wars, we've got:

Twil'ek
Ewok,
Jawa,
Wookiee,
Zabrak,
Calamari,
Ponda Baba,
Muftak,

and African

maybe, just maybe, some sort of "colorblindness" should be appropriate in a galaxy far, far away. Lando didn't need this kind of treatment in 1980, that was 42 years ago folks. Disney is being plain offensive here.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Ewan McGregor reprising the role is a solid dose of memberberries. Liked him since Trainspotting when I was a burgeoning cinephile in my teens. I hope he’s making fucking bank with this as the rest of it seems to be a shit show.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Does she really say "white boy"? Because if so.....who wrote that, who approved it and why is she such a racist concerned about Ben's skin color.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Just got around to watching these and not really that impressed.

1. I hate the whole depressed, broken Obi-Wan bullshit. I'm over this whole broken, depressed character shit that Disney Star Wars has been peddling for years. Broken Han Solo who abandoned his family until he is forced to confront his son. Broken Luke who goes into hiding and has to be convinced to come back out. Broken Boba Fett who needs to be reminded who he is. Broken Obi-Wan Kenobi who almost completely loses his connection with the force and needs a ridiculous rescue mission to snap him out of his funk. Seriously, what the actual fuck. If I want to be depressed, I'll stick to real life.

2. The girl who is playing 10 year old Leia is good, I like her overall spirit and she does a damn good job delivering her lines for a child actor in a role that she probably knows is super important. But my god the choreographed scenes with her -- the two chase scenes specifically -- are some of the worst direction I've seen in a while. I know I'm just repeating others here when I say that I literally laughed out loud at how bad the Alderaan forest chase scene was. HOLY SHIT IT'S A SMALL BRANCH! Those characters flopped more than professional Premier League players.

3. I've just never been a fan of the inquisitors because the whole concept flies in the face of Order 66, the elimination of the Jedi, and the Sith 'rule of two' that became canon in the prequels. Jedi who turned to the Dark Side to hunt other Jedi, but weren't quite Sith, yet report to Vader, which would actually give him the ability to usurp the Emperor if he felt so inclined... the whole thing is stupid. So making the whole show revolve around the inquisitors, and especially one that is a tired trope and allegory about discrimination is just meh.

I'm really glad this show is only 6 episodes long and will be gone.

I long for the day when someone gets the clue that Star Wars doesn't HAVE to be set in the Skywalker era and starts making some original content rather than these constant nostalgia bait shows that retread old characters and old locations, or convert fan favorite characters from the animated shows into live action. There's more to Star Wars than the ~25 years before Yavin IV and the ~30 years after Yavin IV. A series set in The High Republic would be nice. Time to expand the horizons beyond the Skywalker era -- something Disney could have done easier had they not thrown all the EU in the "Legends" shitter the moment they took over.
Isn't Taika Waititi doing a Star Wars movie? While I can't image what a Star Wars film would be like with him at the helm, I can imagine how different it would be.

Isn't Taika Waititi doing a Star Wars movie? While I can't image what a Star Wars film would be like with him at the helm, I can imagine how different it would be.
He did an episode of Mandalorian already. And Thor Ragnarok is in space. I think we have a decent idea, but yeah he's an awesome director.

Billbofet

I think it would be a bit goofy and comedic, which I guess at this point bring it on for SW. Can't get much worse with the course it's on currently.

sol_bad

This is pretty lame, most of the complaints I have seen aren't about race. She just isn't intimidating at all. The actor was fine in Queen's Gambit and Ambulance but isn't working for this.
She'll probably turn good and that's where her acting will come out better. Who knows. Reva isn't the only issue with the show, Deborah Chow is failing me. :(

DeaDPo0L84

I remember when Mace and Lando were great characters simply based on their own merits and still cherished by fans, NOT because of their skin color.

But of course when your leading (black) villain in your prime show is terrible and receiving criticism from fans it must be...RACISIM!!!

ManaByte

Gold Member
But of course when your leading (black) villain in your prime show is terrible and receiving criticism from fans it must be...RACISIM!!!

Look at the next post, it's in response to a YouTube video from one of the big Star Wars outrage channels that called her a diversity hire, which is what sparked all the stuff she was getting spammed with in DMs:
UxD91tP.png

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Look at the next post, it's in response to a YouTube video from one of the big Star Wars outrage channels that called her a diversity hire, which is what sparked all the stuff she was getting spammed with in DMs:
UxD91tP.png
So a youtuber is to blame? He coined the phrase "diversity hire"? Does D&D make kids worship the devil? Do video games make people kill? Come on. Shit people are going to be shit.

Ulysses 31

Company saying "don't be racist" is attacking?
Why else would they say such an obvious platitude? And it's in combination of the tweet's it's replying to that makes it IMO a veiled attack.

And this is Disney we're talking about. They have come to the defence of some of their employees(High Republic writers IIRC) making discriminatory statements about certain demographics.

Why else would they say such an obvious platitude? And it's in combination of the tweet's it's replying to that makes it IMO a veiled attack.

And this is Disney we're talking about. They have come to the defence of some of their employees(High Republic writers IIRC) making discriminatory statements about certain demographics.

Again, saying "hey guys stop being racist dick bags" is an attack how?

A platitude is an attack is some serious 180 no scope logic stretching.

Sounds like folks wanting to be offended about being offended

Last edited:
And of course, all criticism will be dismissed as either racism or misogyny.
It's Rose Tico all over again.

You have valid critique, but when folks make open attacks on a persons race it muddles anyones valid opinions. This is a problem with the Last Jedi, you had angry man babies openly being racist and sexist in their whining. While it just made it impossible to have a valid opinion on shit like how awful the space combat stuff was or whatever cause any critique might be secretly from a political viewpoint or some hate based beliefs.

Ulysses 31

Again, saying "hey guys stop being racist dick bags" is an attack how?

A platitude is an attack is some serious 180 no scope logic stretching.

Sounds like folks wanting to be offended about being offended
Their tweet implies there are people choosing to be racists. Yeah, those people exist but Disney Star Wars isn't doing anything uniquely different to believe the racists are coming out of the woodworks specifically for them.

AKA, it's an issue with the bigger the spotlight, the more negative attention you attract. Sadly a reality of this world but nothing new.

Last edited:
Their tweet implies there are people choosing to be racists. Yeah, those people exist but Disney Star Wars isn't doing anything uniquely different to believe the racists are coming out of the woodworks specifically for them.

AKA, it's an issue with the bigger the spotlight, the more negative attention you attract. Sadly a reality of this world but nothing new.

Just clicking on their social media about the show this past week has been an onslaught of outright racism and bashing about "diversity". This is to be expected when a vocal minority comes out, and star wars now has history of two of it's female leads being bullied off social media due to "fan" comments. I don't think it's fair to say they are attacking anyone when folks were already losing their shit on youtube and on social media about Reva even before anyone saw the show and how shitty her character is. If anything they are trying to be backing their actors unlike before where they got ran off. Heck same happened essentially to the Anakin actors and we all now this shit Jar Jar's actor took on which had him contemplating suicide even.

Star Wars fans are some of the worst

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just clicking on their social media about the show this past week has been an onslaught of outright racism and bashing about "diversity". This is to be expected when a vocal minority comes out, and star wars now has history of two of it's female leads being bullied off social media due to "fan" comments. I don't think it's fair to say they are attacking anyone when folks were already losing their shit on youtube and on social media about Reva even before anyone saw the show and how shitty her character is. If anything they are trying to be backing their actors unlike before where they got ran off. Heck same happened essentially to the Anakin actors and we all now this shit Jar Jar's actor took on which had him contemplating suicide even.

I really feel sorry for Jake Lloyd. Had the chance to interact with him a bit several years ago. He was trying to get a Twitch channel going, but then the schizophrenia happened, he went to jail, and then got institutionalized.

ManaByte

Gold Member
star wars now has history of two of it's female leads being bullied off social media due to "fan" comments

Actually three.

Daisy Ridley was on social media before TFA released, but one of the sequel directors (people assume it was Johnson) alerted her to some of the shit a certain journalist (who was eventually fired for sticking his hands down women's pants) was posting about her and the movie even before filming began and she wiped all of her social media.

Ulysses 31

Block attacks on immutable characteristics and move on. Some guy did an analytics of Ingram's Instagram and it was overwhelmingly positive of her role as Reva. It may also be a case of focussing too much on the negatives.

BTW, the Rose Tico actress never said it was mostly fans comments that drove her away, she commented how the media pressured her how to behave to better fit in like suppress her accent.
The Jar Jar actor is on record saying it wasn't the fans, it was the media saying he was the worst character etc. At conventions he still got a lot of applause.
I'd question if those particular people really are fan at this point, Star Wars even before Disney bought it was pretty diverse in cast and characters and I doubt a black Inquisitor would be the final straw for them.

Nydius

Reva's character is written as an angry, irrational black woman stereotype. A trope which, itself, is born from racism. So Disney lecturing fans about racism is hilarious, especially after they got caught minimizing John Boyega's role (and presence) so as to not jeopardize that sweet, sweet, Communist China market.

They need to pass the "don't be racist" memo over to the writer's room because they're portraying Reva and the Inquisitors in the most racially offensive way possible. They also need to pass a note telling them to do a better job with plot development and character consistency.

Edit: This comment from the linked Facebook post says it best, especially coming from a black woman:

8qgk4cG.png

Last edited:

LordCBH

I both like the first two episodes and don’t. Ewan is still awesome. The lady inquisitor is awful, but not because of the actress. Her character is written so mind numbingly terribly.

NickFire

Don't think back then companies also did all these veiled attacks on fans either.

I agree with Disney that the actress is doing a great job, but I still think Disney is dropping the ball by engaging like this. This is the (arguably) greatest IP in the entertainment history, yet it feels like a culture war football being fought over by 4 teams consisting of corporate vultures, life long fans, political activists, and racists. It is getting old.

I also think that if someone thinks she is poorly written, then they should spend some time pondering who this particular character wants to curry favor with. A willingness to execute a few innocents to root out a Jedi to please Vader is way more rational than blowing up an entire planet to find some lost plans.

Ulysses 31

Reva's character is written as an angry, irrational black woman stereotype. A trope which, itself, is born from racism. So Disney lecturing fans about racism is hilarious, especially after they got caught minimizing John Boyega's role (and presence) so as to not jeopardize that sweet, sweet, Communist China market.

They need to pass the "don't be racist" memo over to the writer's room because they're portraying Reva and the Inquisitors in the most racially offensive way possible. They also need to pass a note telling them to do a better job with plot development and character consistency.

Edit: This comment from the linked Facebook post says it best, especially coming from a black woman:

8qgk4cG.png
If the writing was better and fleshed out her character a little more, like some clues what her beef is with Obi-Wan, I think the angry black women trope would've been a lot easier to overlook.

But that may still come in the remaining episodes.

Billy Dee Williams, Samuel Jackson, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito. Where were all these racists back then?
I remember seeing some racist shit about John Boyega in the dark corners of the internet. But in the end, Rian Johnson did him dirty more than any douchebag on 4 chan.

Ulysses 31

I also think that if someone thinks she is poorly written, then they should spend some time pondering who this particular character wants to curry favor with. A willingness to execute a few innocents to root out a Jedi to please Vader is way more rational than blowing up an entire planet to find some lost plans.
I've mostly seen comments on her delivery, that she wasn't convincing enough or just generally one note(angry). The writing of her character is still too early to tell without all 6 eps out.

NickFire

I've mostly seen comments on her delivery, that she wasn't convincing enough or just generally one note(angry). The writing of her character is still too early to tell without all 6 eps out.
Perhaps if Vader executes someone for standing in her way it will make more sense to people why she comes across that way. Or better yet, if we get a scene where she is leaning on Vader to be his apprentice. Regardless, her character makes perfect sense to me because of how similar her demeanor is to Vader's during this time period. My biggest issue was the inquisitors who thought she was going too far. Vader would have relieved them of duty with extreme prejudice if he witnessed that.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Billy Dee Williams, Samuel Jackson, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito. Where were all these racists back then?
I remember seeing some racist shit about John Boyega in the dark corners of the internet. But in the end, Rian Johnson did him dirty more than any douchebag on 4 chan.
I don't recall Donnie Yen getting any shit either. It's almost like if you don't suck you don't get criticism. Of course, there will always be racists out there but painting all of the criticism of her performance based on race is absolutely stupid.

Ulysses 31

Perhaps if Vader executes someone for standing in her way it will make more sense to people why she comes across that way. Or better yet, if we get a scene where she is leaning on Vader to be his apprentice. Regardless, her character makes perfect sense to me because of how similar her demeanor is to Vader's during this time period. My biggest issue was the inquisitors who thought she was going too far. Vader would have relieved them of duty with extreme prejudice if he witnessed that.
Yes but the other inquisitors putting up with her behaviour raises questions when you see how Vader swiftly deals with insubordination or underperformance. Vader also kills people who know he's Anakin or have seen him without his helm on in other canonical works.

It would seem to me that in your example Vader would've put her in charge if he didn't want anyone oppose her in her Jedi hunt.

For it to make sense the viewer must do a lot of the writers work(which usually isn't good IMO) because we don't have the full picture yet with these 2 eps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom