• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

DKehoe

I assume that Leia's memories of all this will be wiped out? She mentioned none of this in A New Hope. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope. You fought with my father in the clone wars You totally saved me from the Inquisitors.
I actually think it works. It gives her more of a reason for him to have been the person she reached out to. Also it now makes more sense for her to have named her kid after him, whereas before he was just someone her Dad apparently knew and her brother's mentor figure.

Ulysses 31

The scraps he steals he just feeds to his space camel. So he's doing it for the wages. But an example of the directionlessness of the show is how they kept showing Obi Wan stealing the meat to setup something like he would get confronted or caught but that never happens. So it just kinda weirdly ends up condoning job theft. Weird message to send for a kids show.
Seemed more to me that it was a teardown of Obi-Wan's character, that he resorted to theft rather than the show saying it's fine to steal from your boss.

We see him checking on Luke so he's also hoping Luke doesn't get attacked when he's cutting meat. 🤷‍♀️

But if he's still so concerned for Luke, why would he neglect his training? Like, how good could he protect Luke in his current state? 🤷‍♀️

jufonuk

not tag worthy

:messenger_tears_of_joy: this show...

Hahah this part made me laugh but otherwise. I’m enjoying this show.

Look 👀 it’s not gonna be the best thing since sliced bread. But eh. After book of boba fett set the bar low. I can’t see how this could be worse. Maybe it can. Who knows. At least they tried.

Yeah my argument boils down to at least they tried.

I was there for the prequels all the hype. So sod it.

Last edited:

Deanington

I just dont understand how some of these scenes make it to the final product. Why is SW in general so loved but so bad at the same time? It deserves so much love and care. The potential to do really great things and we get some of the most cringiest shit. Obi is a god tier character, the production, writing, directing, etc. needs to reflect that. This isnt Boba tier bad, but holy shit some of the scenes come from the same school of filming. Treat this shit like gold ffs.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
My thoughts exactly.

"If you're a kid or grown-up, Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ has something for everyone!"

Also, Flea is objectively terrible in this show.
That was definitely some weird casting. Ewen is a big Chilli Peppers fan is all I could think of.

Completely off-topic but after episode 2 of this I put On Caravan of Courage and Ewok story or whatever it's called. I remember seeing it as a kid and liking it. Boy oh boy... Try watching it. I dare you. No drugs allowed.

Ironbunny

I just dont understand how some of these scenes make it to the final product. Why is SW in general so loved but so bad at the same time? It deserves so much love and care. The potential to do really great things and we get some of the most cringiest shit. Obi is a god tier character, the production, writing, directing, etc. needs to reflect that. This isnt Boba tier bad, but holy shit some of the scenes come from the same school of filming. Treat this shit like gold ffs.

So true. They have all the talent pools from writers and directors to choose from with all the money in the world and this is what we get? :S. It just baffles the mind. Theres no excuse for this. Why there is nobody in their upper ladder saying "what is this shit?". That Leia chase scene is the cherry on top. You can make it look like an actual chase without such comical shit. Jesus S Christ use some camera tricks, perspectives etc. You have to a be literal hack to end up with that being the end product.

Fbh

That was ....okish
Ewan is still great in the role and I like his take on a depressed and traumatized Obi Wan. The rest has been rather underwhelming though.

I really disliked Leia, have always hated smartass bratty kid characters in shows/movies and this is no different. IMDB tells me she will be in every episode which has instantly made me less excited to see the rest of the season.
Reva is a also pretty bland so far, zero charisma.

Both chase sequences were unbelievably bad. The girl playing Leia doesn't even look like she is trying to run at full speed and yet she is outrunning a Jedi and a bunch of bounty hunters? What? And it would have been so easy to make it less ridiculous by at least having her squeeze through thigh places or something instead of having her literally outrun a bunch of grown men in a straight line. Reva and her rooftop parkour looked ridiculous too, the group I was watching this with literally starting laughing out loud during that part.

I think it's loved because at least it used to feel unique and inventive. When the OG trilogy came out there wasn't anything quite like it and the sheer spectacle as well as this interesting world with interesting concepts like the Jedi, the force, lightsabers, etc made it easy to overlook the issues (not to mention the god tier music). Even the prequels, while gaining more criticism, retained some appeal by showing awesome new concepts and locations like Naboo, the droids, pod racing, more dynamic and over the top fights, etc. Like when Darth Maul shows up, takes out a freaking dual lightsaber and duel of fates starts playing it's just easy to forget the bland writing.

The Disney era of Star Wars is just a bunch of recycled tropes, characters, concepts and locations. So the issues stand out more.

Last edited:

Alex11

But if he's still so concerned for Luke, why would he neglect his training? Like, how good could he protect Luke in his current state? 🤷‍♀️
Yeah,this right here is what I was thinking .Okay,he doesn`t help anyone and cuts himself from the Force of fear that someone discovers him, his mission being Luke`s protection,perfectly acceptable.But what if those inquisitors would show up at Luke`s home,was he gonna shoot them with the blaster?Is a bit weird.

Alex11

The Disney era of Star Wars is just a bunch of recycled tropes, characters, concepts and locations. So the issues stand out more.
I like to think that is isn`t that bad, they show little glimpses of cool things. I mean, the opening to the first episode was badass, that`s what I want to see, of course not nonstop, but it felt so distinct from the rest of the episodes, I have no idea what happened.

Xyphie

It kinda pisses me off that increasingly everyone and their mother knows that Vader is Anakin in the Disney canon. The Prequel Trilogy positions it as something only The Emperor, Obi-wan, Yoda and Bail Organa really knows about. The way it's handled with Tarkin is fine but everyone else it's just kinda stupid, now even Inquisitors which are supposed to be disposable tools of the Empire knows.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Personally, I find the entire concept of the inquisitors dumb but hey. Fans of the animated stuff love them.

Ulysses 31

It kinda pisses me off that increasingly everyone and their mother knows that Vader is Anakin in the Disney canon. The Prequel Trilogy positions it as something only The Emperor, Obi-wan, Yoda and Bail Organa really knows about. The way it's handled with Tarkin is fine but everyone else it's just kinda stupid, now even Inquisitors which are supposed to be disposable tools of the Empire knows.
And Reva knowing raises the question why she ain't looking into Luke Skywalker, unless Skywalker is a very common name... 🤷‍♀️

Edit: if the leaks are true then it looks like she connects the dots later on.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Even more than Leia being able to stay ahead of Obi-Wan? 👀
That's comparing two turds. Which one is the turdiest is up to the viewer.

Just looked up the director of this thing. She directed a red hot chili peppers video. That explains that. She's also directed nothing of consequence. Some tv episodes. Dat diversity though.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
That's comparing two turds. Which one is the turdiest is up to the viewer.

Just looked up the director of this thing. She directed a red hot chili peppers video. That explains that. She's also directed nothing of consequence. Some tv episodes. Dat diversity though.

To be fair, she also directed some of the best episodes of numerous lauded shows. Need to gander at her entire resume and not just one bit.

Venuspower

I assume that Leia's memories of all this will be wiped out? She mentioned none of this in A New Hope. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope. You fought with my father in the clone wars You totally saved me from the Inquisitors.

Well... Obi-Wan never tells her his real name. He introduces himself as Ben Kenobi. She also seems not to have noticed when Haja Estree calls him Obi-Wan. Otherwise she would certainly have had a reaction.

Otherwise, check out Leia's reaction in Episode IV when Luke frees Leia from the cell. Luke clearly mentions "Ben Kenobi" and Leia's reaction sounds like she knows a Ben Kenobi. So all this fits perfectly without being contradictory.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Watched both episodes, like it so far! Kinda feels like the prequels but done right. Or like a mix of the prequels and the original trilogy I suppose. Pretty slow start, sure, but I don't mind some build-up.

Love seeing Ewan as Obi-Wan again, and it's cool seeing a young Leia. However, does anyone else think she looks way younger than the 10 years she's supposed to be? Aren't 10-year-olds typically, I don't know, taller?

Edit: Yeah, the forest chase scene was a bit hard to swallow.

Edit 2: Yeah, also her managing to outrun Obi-Wan. In general whenever she tries to run away from something things become less believable. Hopefully they don't do much more of that.

Last edited:
2 episodes in and I’m thinking
- Please don’t have Kenobi babysit Leia the whole series.
- What the hell was up with that Kidnapping chase scene?
- Inquisitor death scene (What’s this guy about…☠️ Oh never mind)
- There’s still time for this series to add something impactful to justify its existence.

Ironbunny

Well, there's a line in ep1 "This isn't about the boy." which I think is Disney telling us who won't be the focus in this show. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Soo its about Leia and her ability to turn Reva from the dark side in to the light and find an unlikely ally to save Obi Wan from Vader.

Fbh

I like to think that is isn`t that bad, they show little glimpses of cool things. I mean, the opening to the first episode was badass, that`s what I want to see, of course not nonstop, but it felt so distinct from the rest of the episodes, I have no idea what happened.

The opening to episode 1 was the best part. It was a brief glimpse into what could be a cool show set in another era.
Then it's back to OT timeline and Tatooine because that's about as far as creativity at Disney goes.

Her doing force parkour across the rooftops was some cringe shit.

I half expected Halle Berry to show up as catwoman at some point during that scene.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Watched both episodes, like it so far! Kinda feels like the prequels but done right. Or like a mix of the prequels and the original trilogy I suppose. Pretty slow start, sure, but I don't mind some build-up.

Love seeing Ewan as Obi-Wan again, and it's cool seeing a young Leia. However, does anyone else think she looks way younger than the 10 years she's supposed to be? Aren't 10-year-olds typically, I don't know, taller?

Edit: Yeah, the forest chase scene was a bit hard to swallow.

Edit 2: Yeah, also her managing to outrun Obi-Wan. In general whenever she tries to run away from something things become less believable. Hopefully they don't do much more of that.

BuT sHe A sKyWaLkEr
ShE hAvE fOrCe

Anakin could Podrace and Luke used to bullseye womp rats in his T-16, her pursuers aren't much bigger than that! Plus, she's a Kathleen Kennedy stand-in. I mean a woman. That gives her 40x the Midichlorian count by default! It was made canon in the 4 issue comic by LightMule called "Fuck Luke - No really, fuck him,"

She just innately Force-made-them-all-dumbasses

Ulysses 31

Well... Obi-Wan never tells her his real name. He introduces himself as Ben Kenobi. She also seems not to have noticed when Haja Estree calls him Obi-Wan. Otherwise she would certainly have had a reaction.

Otherwise, check out Leia's reaction in Episode IV when Luke frees Leia from the cell. Luke clearly mentions "Ben Kenobi" and Leia's reaction sounds like she knows a Ben Kenobi. So all this fits perfectly without being contradictory.
But don't you think she'll ask around about Ben Kenobi after all they go through in this series? Seems to me she'd mention that he personally saved her life once rather than only describing him as someone who worked with her father.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Can I get some examples of the best actions films ever made?
antonio banderas hispanic heritage month GIF

Nydius

Just got around to watching these and not really that impressed.

1. I hate the whole depressed, broken Obi-Wan bullshit. I'm over this whole broken, depressed character shit that Disney Star Wars has been peddling for years. Broken Han Solo who abandoned his family until he is forced to confront his son. Broken Luke who goes into hiding and has to be convinced to come back out. Broken Boba Fett who needs to be reminded who he is. Broken Obi-Wan Kenobi who almost completely loses his connection with the force and needs a ridiculous rescue mission to snap him out of his funk. Seriously, what the actual fuck. If I want to be depressed, I'll stick to real life.

2. The girl who is playing 10 year old Leia is good, I like her overall spirit and she does a damn good job delivering her lines for a child actor in a role that she probably knows is super important. But my god the choreographed scenes with her -- the two chase scenes specifically -- are some of the worst direction I've seen in a while. I know I'm just repeating others here when I say that I literally laughed out loud at how bad the Alderaan forest chase scene was. HOLY SHIT IT'S A SMALL BRANCH! Those characters flopped more than professional Premier League players.

3. I've just never been a fan of the inquisitors because the whole concept flies in the face of Order 66, the elimination of the Jedi, and the Sith 'rule of two' that became canon in the prequels. Jedi who turned to the Dark Side to hunt other Jedi, but weren't quite Sith, yet report to Vader, which would actually give him the ability to usurp the Emperor if he felt so inclined... the whole thing is stupid. So making the whole show revolve around the inquisitors, and especially one that is a tired trope and allegory about discrimination is just meh.

I'm really glad this show is only 6 episodes long and will be gone.

I long for the day when someone gets the clue that Star Wars doesn't HAVE to be set in the Skywalker era and starts making some original content rather than these constant nostalgia bait shows that retread old characters and old locations, or convert fan favorite characters from the animated shows into live action. There's more to Star Wars than the ~25 years before Yavin IV and the ~30 years after Yavin IV. A series set in The High Republic would be nice. Time to expand the horizons beyond the Skywalker era -- something Disney could have done easier had they not thrown all the EU in the "Legends" shitter the moment they took over.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Can I get some examples of the best actions films ever made?

OK, maybe not the best action films but they are really well made.
Desperado, From Dusk Till Dawn, Once Upon A Time in Medico, Sin City, Planet Terror, Alita Battle Angel.

I haven't seen Machete yet but I hear it's good.
Haven't seen the 2nd Sin City film but hear it's bad.

Last edited:
OK, maybe not the best action films but they are really well made.
Desperado, From Dusk Till Dawn, Once Upon A Time in Medico, Sin City, Planet Terror, Alita Battle Angel.

I haven't seen Machete yet but I hear it's good.
Haven't seen the 2nd Sin City film but hear it's bad.
I hated Alita Battle Angel. Sin City though is fantastic. I have to see more of his films. Those 2 I mentioned are the only ones I watched

Last edited:
You hated Alita???
But that movie seriously does have incredible action scenes. Have you ever read the manga or seen the anime?
I never watched the anime or read the manga but I felt bored during the whole movie. Didn't help I found the main character and her boyfriend to be extremely annoying. I don't remember anything about the action scenes.

I'm interested in reading the manga

You hated Alita???
But that movie seriously does have incredible action scenes. Have you ever read the manga or seen the anime?
I turned off Alita like 20 mins into it. Was not a fan, loved the anime too

Didn’t know he directed from dusk til dawn. For some reason I thought that was Tarantino. Anywho it’s a great flick.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The scraps he steals he just feeds to his space camel. So he's doing it for the wages. But an example of the directionlessness of the show is how they kept showing Obi Wan stealing the meat to setup something like he would get confronted or caught but that never happens. So it just kinda weirdly ends up condoning job theft. Weird message to send for a kids show.
WTF are you talking about?

Little Leia is awesome. I wish shows wouldn’t have stupid cheesy chase sequences, and this one has already had two…but otherwise it’s pretty good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom