• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Just got around to watching these and not really that impressed.

1. I hate the whole depressed, broken Obi-Wan bullshit. I'm over this whole broken, depressed character shit that Disney Star Wars has been peddling for years. Broken Han Solo who abandoned his family until he is forced to confront his son. Broken Luke who goes into hiding and has to be convinced to come back out. Broken Boba Fett who needs to be reminded who he is. Broken Obi-Wan Kenobi who almost completely loses his connection with the force and needs a ridiculous rescue mission to snap him out of his funk. Seriously, what the actual fuck. If I want to be depressed, I'll stick to real life.

2. The girl who is playing 10 year old Leia is good, I like her overall spirit and she does a damn good job delivering her lines for a child actor in a role that she probably knows is super important. But my god the choreographed scenes with her -- the two chase scenes specifically -- are some of the worst direction I've seen in a while. I know I'm just repeating others here when I say that I literally laughed out loud at how bad the Alderaan forest chase scene was. HOLY SHIT IT'S A SMALL BRANCH! Those characters flopped more than professional Premier League players.

3. I've just never been a fan of the inquisitors because the whole concept flies in the face of Order 66, the elimination of the Jedi, and the Sith 'rule of two' that became canon in the prequels. Jedi who turned to the Dark Side to hunt other Jedi, but weren't quite Sith, yet report to Vader, which would actually give him the ability to usurp the Emperor if he felt so inclined... the whole thing is stupid. So making the whole show revolve around the inquisitors, and especially one that is a tired trope and allegory about discrimination is just meh.

I'm really glad this show is only 6 episodes long and will be gone.

I long for the day when someone gets the clue that Star Wars doesn't HAVE to be set in the Skywalker era and starts making some original content rather than these constant nostalgia bait shows that retread old characters and old locations, or convert fan favorite characters from the animated shows into live action. There's more to Star Wars than the ~25 years before Yavin IV and the ~30 years after Yavin IV. A series set in The High Republic would be nice. Time to expand the horizons beyond the Skywalker era -- something Disney could have done easier had they not thrown all the EU in the "Legends" shitter the moment they took over.

As a franchise, it has a frankly INSANE amount of untapped potential. As you said, High Republic, some of Lucas' old ideas, fuck, it's an entire galaxy. You could make a story set 1,000 years after the Empire with no connection to the series beyond some of the same species that managed to survive. Maybe incorporate light sabers but have their origin lost to myth and they're wielded by people who have never heard of Jedi or Luke Skywalker. Maybe even fuck that, and have a group of people who use the Force differently. Maybe destroy the line of demarcation between light side and dark side. There's literally SO much any half talented writer could pull out of this universe, but we're just gonna ride Carrie Fisher's corpse through the Tatooine desert and continue making badly animated cartoons and live action series about the crazy adventures of that air traffic controller in Cloud City or the fuck ever.

Jaybe

Finally caught up. I couldn’t help but think in that first episode, they were doing a very bad impression of Waltz’s famous inglorious basterds opening.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I just dont understand how some of these scenes make it to the final product. Why is SW in general so loved but so bad at the same time? It deserves so much love and care. The potential to do really great things and we get some of the most cringiest shit. Obi is a god tier character, the production, writing, directing, etc. needs to reflect that. This isnt Boba tier bad, but holy shit some of the scenes come from the same school of filming. Treat this shit like gold ffs.
Let me put on my tinfoil hat here...

Not long ago there was a report saying the woke culture is rampant in Hollywood and people are hesitant/scared to offer critisism due to this. If this is true, I can fully see stuff like Obi Wan being the result of it. Such things are usually trashed in pre-production but if no one speaks out because he/she is afraid of being labeled something, this is what you get.

Sad thing is that it doesn't even matter because people still watch it in droves.

Last edited:
Let me put on my tinfoil hat here...

Not long ago there was a report saying the woke culture is rampant in Hollywood and people are hesitant/scared to offer critisism due to this. If this is true, I can fully see stuff like Obi Wan being the result of it. Such things are usually trashed in pre-production but if no one speaks out because he/she is afraid of being labeled something, this is what you get.

Sad thing is that it doesn't even matter because people still watch it in droves.
That would make sense

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Leia is an amazingly fast little girl as she outrun all the adults.

But hey this is the same Leia that can also going through space using the Force.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Oh yes I'm also glad they killed off Grand Inquisitor, one of my favorite characters in the show right now.

Oh wait, maybe they didn't kill him off because apparently he appears in a cartoon that takes place after the Obi Wan series does.

So anyways, the Grand Inquisitor gets fatally wounded by the Third Sister.

I guess this is okay because the trail and all is part of the Sith code. But oh wait, they're not Sith. They're just Inquisitors.

But wait, the Grand Inquisitor who is the Grand Inquisitor probably because he's rather proficient at this shit still got his ass handed to him.

I'm sure skin color and gender has absolutely nothing to do with why she was so good at doing everything better than the other Inquisitors.

Probably better than Asian Inquisitor, who, well is a cheesy stereotypical villain I actually really like and for that reason probably. I like his look and his silly villainous voice but already the Asian guy is a shitload of more fun than anyone else here.

But bald head Grand Inquisitor, who I also actually really like because he's the stereotypical ball-headed and pale villain who looks like he belongs in the front of 1990s Carpe Noctum magazine (which I used to have a monthly subscription to because I was a goth) still gets fatally wounded.

Well fuck.

The pale skinned 'if Dr. Phill went goth and got rid of the stache' Grand Inquisitor and my boy Asian Inquisitor are more interesting than woman of color Inquisitor but it's all going to be about woman of color Inquisitor.

I want the Asian guy. Hey this is all about diversity right? Well, The Inquisitor is Asian. And I think he's a lot of fun and I enjoy watching him on the screen but we're not going to get hardly of him or he's going to die quick. Wait did he die in a second episode? I can't remember now because this show is already starting to become forgettable.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Sorry to break this to you but you aren't going to get to fuck the guy from the Star Wars show.
That's too bad because I bet he's great in bed.

So I'm sure the Third Sister would at least claim she's better because apparently she's better at everything and anything the Inquisitors can do

Last edited:

BlackTron

It wasn't a complete and total trainwreck but I was looking for a really solid showing to reassure my shaken confidence after Book of Boba Fett.

This wasn't it. And it for some reason this feels like the point of no return for accepting what Star Wars has become as a category on a streaming service.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
As a franchise, it has a frankly INSANE amount of untapped potential. As you said, High Republic, some of Lucas' old ideas, fuck, it's an entire galaxy. You could make a story set 1,000 years after the Empire with no connection to the series beyond some of the same species that managed to survive. Maybe incorporate light sabers but have their origin lost to myth and they're wielded by people who have never heard of Jedi or Luke Skywalker. Maybe even fuck that, and have a group of people who use the Force differently. Maybe destroy the line of demarcation between light side and dark side. There's literally SO much any half talented writer could pull out of this universe, but we're just gonna ride Carrie Fisher's corpse through the Tatooine desert and continue making badly animated cartoons and live action series about the crazy adventures of that air traffic controller in Cloud City or the fuck ever.

All of that would require the guts and talent to create new characters and story.

Disney have none of this. What they have is the overwhelming desire to squeeze as much money as possible from existing characters - because that is easy and safe. And they will keep doing it, because people keep watching it.

It‘s perfectly valid to criticise entertainment companies for shitting out corporate garbage over and over, but it’s also the fault of the vast collection of morons out there who keep consuming it all - every episode of it - like the good little sheep they are.

I’ve given up trying to convince people to stop supporting this asinine shit. They don’t want anything new or different, any more than I want to watch BOSK: A Star Wars Story.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Didn't Guilmero del Toro want to make a Star Wars gangster movie? Centered around the Hutts? We could have had that had Disney any balls.

Apocryphon

The first Leia chase sequence is fine I guess, but the 2nd is just stupid. Also, this kids 10? She looks 6 or 7.

Reva is horrid. The character is irritating and the actress is less convincing than Amber Heard. Awful casting. Tessa Thompson or Naomie Harris would have been so much better in this role.

Not as bad as the non-Mando Boba episodes, but episode 2 left a bad taste in my mouth.

Star-Lord

Assuming she's not lying, she says she can feel him too, why didn't she in ep1 at the market? 🤷‍♀️ o_O
Obi-Wan wasn't at the market, was he? He was at work in the little workshop, while Reva was in the café/saloon in town.

Though that doesn't explain why she couldn't sense the other Jedi.

Ulysses 31

Obi-Wan wasn't at the market, was he? He was at work in the little workshop, while Reva was in the café/saloon in town.

Though that doesn't explain why she couldn't sense the other Jedi.
You're right it's not a market, it's some sort of square. But point was that Obi-Wan was nearby watching Reva put a lightsabre on Owen's throat and she couldn't sense it then.

But Ep2 has made that scene in Ep1 worse by showing she could've used that mindread trick.

Ulysses 31

Just saw it. I wanted to like it. But it is clearly written and directed by total hacks.

Maybe I am just too old for star wars. Sigh.
tumblr_p60rrhbvM91rkble4o1_500.png

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
All of that would require the guts and talent to create new characters and story.

Disney have none of this. What they have is the overwhelming desire to squeeze as much money as possible from existing characters - because that is easy and safe. And they will keep doing it, because people keep watching it.

It‘s perfectly valid to criticise entertainment companies for shitting out corporate garbage over and over, but it’s also the fault of the vast collection of morons out there who keep consuming it all - every episode of it - like the good little sheep they are.

I’ve given up trying to convince people to stop supporting this asinine shit. They don’t want anything new or different, any more than I want to watch BOSK: A Star Wars Story.

I'm usually not a summary guy, but this is one of the reasons I've elected to just watch synopsis videos from YouTube channels like NewRockStars whenever there's something that I'm interested in catching the beats or getting involved with the discussion for. Because, honestly, Disney had a chance with me after The Force Awakens. I thought it was awfully contrived and had to do a lot of leg work to justify basically repeating the OT. But I could appreciate making a "new episode 4," within the context of proving to the old fans that this was a return to classic Star Wars and trying to establish new fans with a derivative of the classic story.

Where they fucked up with me was, as has been stated, they never WENT anywhere with it, and just repeated the same OT beats in different locations with different characters.

Ulysses 31

I'm usually not a summary guy, but this is one of the reasons I've elected to just watch synopsis videos from YouTube channels like NewRockStars whenever there's something that I'm interested in catching the beats or getting involved with the discussion for. Because, honestly, Disney had a chance with me after The Force Awakens. I thought it was awfully contrived and had to do a lot of leg work to justify basically repeating the OT. But I could appreciate making a "new episode 4," within the context of proving to the old fans that this was a return to classic Star Wars and trying to establish new fans with a derivative of the classic story.

Where they fucked up with me was, as has been stated, they never WENT anywhere with it, and just repeated the same OT beats in different locations with different characters.
I think a lot of people gave TFA a pass for being largely a retread of Episode 4 because it was seen as a set up for the next movie to go explore more original areas we hadn't seen before.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think a lot of people gave TFA a pass for being largely a retread of Episode 4 because it was seen as a set up for the next movie to go explore more original areas we hadn't seen before.

Pretty exactly my thoughts. If it had done it's own thing from the second part on, you know, been an ACTUAL subversion of expectation instead of just shitting on it's own legacy at every opportunity...

But that's not the reality we live in.

Romulus

I don't understand the advantage of the inquisitor's rotating lightsaber being attached to their back. First of all, sitting down wouldn't make sense and a quick draw of the blade seems far slower. That's part of the reason for the Grand Inquisitor's issue when he confronted Reva.

Hugare

This was some garbage TV time, holy shit

Oby Wan is my favorite character of the franchise. Had such high hopes for this.

The writting is so bad. The vilains are all boring caricatures.

Leia chase scenes were CW levels of bad.

Havent watched Mandalorian, so the last ok-ysh thing from SW Disney run that i've seen was Rogue One in 2016

Will still watch for that Obi Wan / Anakin encounter, but ugh

JayK47

These Star Wars streaming series are too tame. Obi Wan and Boba Fett really have not tapped the potential. The Mandolorian had some good moments. Basically giving us something to keep us renewing our subscription is what it is. Nothing amazing, just enough. Overall, Disney has not done enough with the license.

Alex11

I just don`t understand how some scenes differ in quality so much.I mean you have those amateurish Leia chase scenes-which I know,they have been brought up and critiqued to death-and then you have scenes like when Obi Wan fist fights those mercs and he slaps the Zabrak dude and cuts his hand.That is some nice attention to detail,that I didn`t notice at first watch.

This is exactly what I expected. The best Disney can do is mediocre (Force Awakens, Rogue One, Mandalorian).
It's a shame really. Ewan was the only good thing in the prequels. The only actor good enough to be enjoyable despite having nothing to work with.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't understand the advantage of the inquisitor's rotating lightsaber being attached to their back. First of all, sitting down wouldn't make sense and a quick draw of the blade seems far slower. That's part of the reason for the Grand Inquisitor's issue when he confronted Reva.
I'm assuming Vader/The Emperor are deliberately handicapping the inquisitors should they ever turn on them. Give them crappy lightsabers more than adequate for scrubs and half jedi but useless should they face a sith lord.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Why in the series does he not take out his lightsaber?

Obi wan is a Jedi... not only a Kung-fu Knight.

JMMT2QFDYVDDNJIAOCOM6IWMUI.jpg

Another Snoke... waste of character... i want a great battle... AND NOTHING

Last edited:

Jaybe

These Star Wars streaming series are too tame. Obi Wan and Boba Fett really have not tapped the potential. The Mandolorian had some good moments. Basically giving us something to keep us renewing our subscription is what it is. Nothing amazing, just enough. Overall, Disney has not done enough with the license.

This is exactly what I expected. The best Disney can do is mediocre (Force Awakens, Rogue One, Mandalorian).
It's a shame really. Ewan was the only good thing in the prequels. The only actor good enough to be enjoyable despite having nothing to work with.

It hit me when reflecting on yet another bad couple episodes of a new show, that Disney itself is just plain mediocre. Have they done anything truly fantastic in the last 25 years? Or just mass market poorly written safe crap for the public to be fed like fast food. They’ve lucked out with a the talent Marvel was lead by for at least Infinity War coming together , but really the vast majority has been 7/10 or less family friendly drivel but I suppose what did I expect from the Disney brand.

Alex11

Why in the series does he not take out his lightsaber?

Obi wan is a Jedi... not only a Kung-fu Knight.

JMMT2QFDYVDDNJIAOCOM6IWMUI.jpg

Another Snoke... waste of character... i want a great battle... AND NOTHING
Well, as far as I understand it, apparently he is depressed about Anakin and the whole Jedi defeat thing, which is understandable. And also he cut himself from the Force so he doesn`t draw attention, him protecting Luke and all, which isn`t as understandable, because how can he protect him if he`s not at his best?
I really don`t get this trend they have, with sad important characters, first Luke, Bobba, now Obi-Wan.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why is that jedi hunting actress so bad. IS she really a bad actress or is it bad direction? Given how bad the episode looks, is edited and how cheap it all looks, I'm assuming its just a horrible director.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Well, as far as I understand it, apparently he is depressed about Anakin and the whole Jedi defeat thing, which is understandable. And also he cut himself from the Force so he doesn`t draw attention, him protecting Luke and all, which isn`t as understandable, because how can he protect him if he`s not at his best?
I really don`t get this trend they have, with sad important characters, first Luke, Bobba, now Obi-Wan.

Disney... Do not touch Obi-wan, he is one of my favorite Star Wars characters... And neither does my girlfriend Padme, more as (Queen Amidala)

Top Bottom