• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officer Yanez Found Not Guilty On All Counts In Castile’s Death

FyreWulff

remember when the NRA spoke up for a legal gun owner being executed by a cop?

oh wait the owner was black, of course they didn't say shit

platocplx

im disgusted and yet again not surprised. Until juries stop falling for the i feared for my life lies these assholes drop every single time they are not going to jail for this shit.

He should not be a fucking cop if he feared for his life and i hope the family sues the fuck outta him, his police union and the town and makes sure he can never ever work as a cop again.

every single cop that pulls a gun that fast are always ones that has never been in a fight before(spoken to a cop friend who asks this question all the time to recruits) guys like this will always be scared. They are no hero to me.

Durden77

Let this be a lesson to you officers. When in doubt, shoot em'.

How many times do the courts and PD coverups have to teach you this lesson?

I almost always side with the police at first, until I know more...but man is that a tough road to walk these days. I mean at what point do the cops stop getting away with this shit.

There is a massive problem with cops killing people as the first and only solution to a problem. I believe the officers who say it's just a few bad apples, I believe they think it is. Because there is no system across the whole on the country for monitoring this shit.

this is infuriating.

Well it only takes one to disagree. You better believe police defense attorneys make sure to include those that believe are police above all else and can do no wrong.

Jurors in the manslaughter trial of a St. Anthony police officer are struggling to reach an agreement about whether Jeronimo Yanez acted recklessly when he fatally shot Philando Castile during a traffic stop last summer.

The jury reconvened Thursday for a fourth day of deliberations. On Wednesday afternoon jurors met with presiding Judge William H. Leary III to say they were deadlocked.

I guess there was some disagreement. The jury system is weird. I have been in the jury selection process and it's literally get rid of the person who you think won't agree with you before you even know the real details of the case. It just seems so incredibly flawed. Like they are playing a game with people's lives. I hated being a part of it.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
It took them days to get to this. They were deadlocked over this. What the hell were these jurors told and shown that they don't see this as abuse of a policeman's power.

So what you're saying is, that ANY time a cop approaches a car, he or she is in fear of their life, and are completely authorized to use deadly force.

It doesn't matter if they have other unarmed folks in the car.

It doesn't matter if there are kids in the car.

It's just unreal. I just don't understand how folks can... wow.

Stay safe everyone.

I asked this question in the last thread about an officer acquittal of a murdered black person by police.

What do you do when there is no justice for you?

I was ready to feel all numb and just add this to the pile of injustices.

Then I saw that it was concluded that he wouldn't have been killed if he wasn't high on FUCKING WEED?

Wow.

Is this the same justice system we're waiting on to impeach Donald Trump?

Jesus.

Nafai1123

Banned
If you can't approach a vehicle with a fucking child in the backseat without pulling out your gun and letting off an entire clip, you are a fucking coward and should have never become a cop. Quit and go work as a fucking security guard. Maybe they'll even give you pepper spray to use on innocent black people when your scared.

Fuck the jury too. They can all eat shit for being racist scumbags.

EYEL1NER

Absolutely fucking disgusting. And last month it was Terrance Cutcher's killer who got off as well.

No fucking justice.

No fucking justice at all.
I'll have to look up which incident involved Terrance Cutcher. It's just depressing that it has gotten to point that I can't even keep track of which murder was which based on the victim's names anymore, there are so many of them.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Yes, charged. But still have to be convicted in a trial. Which he wasn't. He's a free man. It's like nothing has happened. He'll likely be able to get his old job back plus back pay.

The Castile family can open a civil case. I don't know if it would be against Yanez, or the Falcon Heights / Roseville Police Department.

Nothing will change until cops are scared of the consequences legal or illegal of murdering someone on a whim.

Sadly we know the legal consequences aren't coming for any of these murders anytime soon.

Eidan

So what exactly are the circumstances when a black person doesn't have it coming? You can be unarmed, you can have your back towards the officer, you can have your hands up, you can be a lawful gun owner...a what point does a black person not deserve to die?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So what exactly are the circumstances when a black person doesn't have it coming? You can be unarmed, you can have your back towards the officer, you can have your hands up, you can be a lawful gun owner...a what point does a black person not deserve to die?

When they're not black.

None, NONE.

When we accept chain and the fact that two thirds of the country doesn't give a fuck or actively wishes we were dead or "went back to Africa".

RinsFury

Cops literally have a license to execute black men on sight. No need to worry about any of the fucking consequences.

My heart goes out to Castile's family, especially his wife and daughter. Terrible injustice.

The defense, on the other hand, maintained that Yanez acted in self-defense and argued that the shooting wouldn’t have happened if Castile wasn’t high on marijuana.

Seriously? The jury bought this?

snap0212

How come the US has the shittiest weak-ass cops who, when anything ever happens at all, automatically fear for their life?

I guess there was some disagreement. The jury system is weird. I have been in the jury selection process and it's literally get rid of the person who you think won't agree with you before you even know the real details of the case. It just seems so incredibly flawed. Like they are playing a game with people's lives. I hated being a part of it.

Each lawyer has a specific number of peremptory challenges. These challenges permit a lawyer to dismiss a potential juror without stating a cause. After this they need to have a valid cause to dismiss a Juror.

Top Bottom