• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Dashcam video shows officer firing 7 shots into Castile car

JoeBoy101

I asked a bunch of cop buddies where they see this going wrong and they all said without exception the moment they hear "gun" they ready to throw down and are taught to take zero chances. None of em outright condone this shooting but all say at a stop like this to keep hands on steering wheel palms up and ask the officer "How should I proceed?"

What gets me is the onus is on the civilian to be in full control of their senses and know what to do and what not to do st all times yet the cop gets to assume and adlib it.

The system is broken.

So much right in this post, but especially this part. As if the cop is a bomb to be defused by careful, determined responses by the civilian lest they get shot. If not, they moved too fast/ran away/resisted/looked scary, etc.

Until the 'fear for their life' gets turned into 'REASONABLE fear for their life' as it is for civilians, this will keep happening.

Heroman

Banned
It's why these people become cops, because they know they can literally get away with murder

I just know they brag about every kill too; after they kill a Tamir Rice, you can bet the officers treat it like they're hunters with a trophy kill. I'm sure they give each other standing ovations in their locker rooms after they kill an unarmed black person
What are you even talking about?

Heroman

Banned
Read it again, very slowly

Fuck your cop apologist worship bullshit. These fuckers know what they're doing
I read your post and yeah, cop don't become cops to kill people nor do they brag about. This tragedy wasn't a case where the cop wanted to kill Mr Castie , it was case of institutionalized racism of the cj system.

I read your post and yeah, cop don't become cops to kill people nor do they brag about. This tragedy wasn't a case where the cop wanted to kill Mr Castie , it was case of institutionalized racism of the cj system.

OK dude

Yes, people become cops so they can kill people and yes the do brag about it afterwards, sorry that that destroys your worldview where cops are inherently good guys because media has programmed you to believe so

SummitAve

Banned
OK dude

Yes, people become cops so they can kill people and yes the do brag about it afterwards, sorry that that destroys your worldview where cops are inherently good guys because media has programmed you to believe so

I think you need to be more careful in your generalizations.

So much right in this post, but especially this part. As if the cop is a bomb to be defused by careful, determined responses by the civilian lest they get shot. If not, they moved too fast/ran away/resisted/looked scary, etc.

Until the 'fear for their life' gets turned into 'REASONABLE fear for their life' as it is for civilians, this will keep happening.

This is the part that i keep going over in my head. Like it's a test where every wrong answer is deadly. I can't think of anything Castille did that I wouldn't have done. Parts of the video were edited, but we know that the officer told him to get his license. He already told the officer - politely - that he was armed and legally allowed to carry. Short of saying, "Hey, the gun is in my pocket and it's near my license", what was he supposed to do? Who would even think of all of these precautions? I already have a list of things I learned as a black man about how to be stopped by the police, but then another one of us is killed and we have to learn through death how to add yet another bullet point.

And the sad fucking thing is that the goal post is always moving anyway. What's right today doesn't mean shit tomorrow.

It's on the citizen to somehow be perfect... and live?? We're not 'trained' in conflict resolution or how to deal with police officers under random conditions. Conversely, this is ALL these guys train to do! Yet, the result is always the same. Why is the weight on us if we choose to live?

The last incident that angered me this much was the young brother in the store who purchased an air rifle and was killed in the store because some ****** imagined that she saw him pointing it at people.

Dabanton

It's why these people become cops, because they know they can literally get away with murder

I just know they brag about every kill too; after they kill a Tamir Rice, you can bet the officers treat it like they're hunters with a trophy kill. I'm sure they give each other standing ovations in their locker rooms after they kill an unarmed black person

I don't doubt that some people become cops because they have a need to have control and authority over other people, but to say they are celebrated is a bit of a stretch.

Many of these cops are pitiful and scared individuals who quite frankly shouldn't be allowed out on the street with a firearm, even moreso dealing with black people as they are a danger not only to themselves but to the people they're supposed to be policing.

If I came across a US policeman stopping me I would actually be in fear of my life simply because I know that many of them don't know how to reassure and control certain situations.

Shoot first and ask questions later seems to be policy.

Heroman

Banned
OK dude

The fuck you talking about, I am young African American male in the south who experience with the cj system has been on the negatives side. Cop are people and guess what most people don't like killing people . Did this dude become cop because he wanted to kill hell naw. The reason why this tragedy happen was because Mr Castile skin and how we view race America. Until you stop believing that cops are these type of monster and understand that they are people and more specifically Americans then you will be better to understand this issue.

The fuck you talking about, I am young African American male in the south who experience with the cj system has been on the negatives side. Cop are people and guess what most people don't like killing people . Did this dude become cop because he wanted to kill hell naw. The reason why this tragedy happen was because Mr Castile skin and how we view race America. Until you stop believing that cops are these type of monster and understand that they are people and more specifically Americans then you will be better to understand this issue.

I don't give a fuck what color you are. If you think people don't become cops because they know they can literally get away with murder, you're naive at best. I know cops are humans, humans who took a job where they dehumanize other people so they can maintain a status quo where they get away with murdering people like me. Fuck your all lives matter bullshit

I don't doubt that some people become cops because they have a need to have control and authority over other people, but to say they are celebrated is a bit of a stretch.

Many of these cops are pitiful and scared individuals who quite frankly shouldn't be allowed out on the street with a firearm, even moreso dealing with black people as they are a danger not only to themselves but to the people they're supposed to be policing.

If I came across a US policeman stopping me I would actually be in fear of my life simply because I know that many of them don't know how to reassure and control certain situations.

Shoot first and ask questions later seems to be policy.

That's how they train them, to fear certain groups and use that fear to justify murder. We've seen it over and over again. They cultivate fear and hatred of blacks and then kill unarmed innocent people, routinely. At some point, you realize it isn't a coincident, this is the job of being a police officer; ticketing, jailing & killing minorities.

Heroman

Banned
I don't give a fuck what color you are. If you think people don't become cops because they know they can literally get away with murder, you're naive at best.

So I am naive because I don't believe that people become cops so they have a license to Kill? You how dumb that statement sounds.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So I am naive because I don't believe that people become cops so they have a license to Kill? You how dumb that statement sounds.

I've known people who outwardly expressed being excited about going into the military explicitly because they want to be able to kill people.

I have no doubt there are cops out there with the same mentality.

If that sounds dumb to you, after witnessing cops cops murder people who are running away, then plant drugs on them and give the same "feared for my life" line while their cop buddies corroborate their bullshit story... yeah, you're worse than naive. And just because you're a "young african american"(Who even calls themselves african american, seriously? lmao) doesn't mean your not a cop apologist.

How many blatant cop murders do I have to describe for you to understand that, these aren't mistakes but deliberate killings?

They know all they have to say is "he was reaching for xyz" and they'll be cleared

Seriously, you think these guys don't brag about it? I bet you'd think it sounds dumb that groups of people would take smiling pictures around the bodies of men & women they just hung, too?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Jesus, why even BECOME a cop if simply hearing the word gun come out of a black guy's mouth is enough to send you into this kind of panic? (Although, putting it like that, sure makes sense why white supremacists were trying to hard to infiltrate law enforcement.)

How the hell did any jury see that and conclude that the cop was not guilty? It's a denial of reality, itself, like denying he was wearing pants when he shot him. Even if half of the jury was "black lives matter are terrorists" buffoons, there has to be something else at play, like maybe the prosecutor overcharged relative to what could actually be said, legally, to have happened, or the judge gave instructions that basically constrained this jury to not call this out for what it so obviously is because of some technicality. You'd have to be huffing some Jim Crow-level racism to watch that and feel like nothing happened that was wrong.

It's called Qualified Immunity. Every time there's a court case that gets to the Supreme Court they either uphold it or broaden it. Every time that happens, there's some explanation about how police have dangerous jobs blah blah blah, they don't deserve to be prosecuted for doing something in good faith blah blah blah.

What it boils down to is police have the right to kill people. They are always justified. The news doesn't often report it, but it is always explained to jurors that they have a responsibility to make their decision based on the law, and this is the law.

Essentially, police cannot be convicted of crimes perpetrated on non police officers committed while on duty, and are very unlikely to be convicted of crimes committed off duty. They always get the benefit of the doubt, even if that doubt is microscopic. In this case, they got the benefit of a doubt that wasn't present, they got the benefit of the principle of doubt. That is the law.

Heroman

Banned
If that sounds dumb to you, after witnessing cops cops murder people who are running away, then plant drugs on them and give the same "feared for my life" line while their cop buddies corroborate their bullshit story... yeah, you're worse than naive. And just because you're a "young african american"(Who even calls themselves african american, seriously? lmao) doesn't mean your not a cop apologist.

How many blatant cop murders do I have to describe for you to understand that, these aren't mistakes but deliberate killings?

They know all they have to say is "he was reaching for xyz" and they'll be cleared
Seriously, you think these guys don't brag about it? I bet you'd think it sounds dumb that groups of people would take smiling pictures around the bodies of men & women they just hung, too?

A lot of people

And I never defended cops. I just said they don't become cops to kill people, because because that it to easy out and won't slove shit. Like I said this case is of institutionalized racism in the cj system but hey understanding how institutionalized racism plays a role in CJ and American Life makes me super naive.

Chococat

Yup, pure murder.

Cops need to be held accountable when they kill innocent people period. If the cop was really pulling Philando over for a tail light, why would the cop jump to the conclusion that Philando was a robber (other than race)?

This is just as bad as the one officer that told the older black man to get his license, then shot him when the man open the door to his car to retrieve it. Actual, it is worse cause Philando is dead.

Better training is need for cops, period. Perhaps it should be mandatory they are put through military train programs on how to engage and deescalating situations before resorting to deadly force.

Speaking of which, why did the cop reach for his taser first? In the position he was in, the cop had the advantage to subdue Philando with a zap. Not ideal- but Philando would have still been alive.

You clearly heard wrong. He says, "I'm not pulling it out."

I heard that too. Telling that that was NOT subtitled.

Heroman

Banned
I've known people who outwardly expressed being excited about going into the military explicitly because they want to be able to kill people.

I have no doubt there are cops out there with the same mentality.
I sure there are but the number are so low that it doesn't explain cops use of force Afican Americans.

A lot of people

And I never defended cops. I just said they don't become cops to kill people, because because that it to easy out and won't slove shit. Like I said this case is of institutionalized racism in the cj system but hey understanding how institutionalized racism plays a role in CJ and American Life makes me super naive.

Why do you believe in institutionalized racism but not that people purposely join these institutions to support them as they are?

TalonJH

I clearly heard "I have to"

CNN video is Captioned with, "I'm not pulling it out".

Watch it again. It seems pretty clear that he says, "i'm not pulling it out".

j6ghwyo.png

Here is their video
http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/06/21/philando-castile-shooting-dashcam-llr-orig.cnn

The only time he says, "I have to.." is when he says I have to let you know, "Sir, I do have to tell you. I do have a firearm on me."

RinsFury

I absolutely believe MANY people become cops for the power the position wield over the rest of the populace. The ability to dominate and threaten with impunity, and yes, even to get away with murder.

NastyBook

They do the same exact thing in the military, so why is it hard to believe that it doesn't happen with the police force?

They do the same exact thing in the military, so why is it hard to believe that it doesn't happen with the police force?
Hahaha the military holds people to far higher standards for descalation and when to actually shoot.

A former Marine, confronting a suicidal man with an (unloaded) gun, used his training to try and non-violently end the situation.

He was then fired.

Flo_Evans

I would say its unbelievable but its pretty standard at this point.

The cop is at least fired right? He seems waaaaay to jumpy to be deciding who lives and dies.

I would say its unbelievable but its pretty standard at this point.

The cop is at least fired right? He seems waaaaay to jumpy to be deciding who lives and dies.
Are you kidding he's going to get a promotion out of this.

Killing blacks is the fast track to success in police forces these days.

Hahaha the military holds people to far higher standards for descalation and when to actually shoot.

A former Marine, confronting a suicidal man with an (unloaded) gun, used his training to try and non-violently end the situation.

He was then fired.

Lol I remember this. Cop puts someone else's life above his own, which is the literal job description and the gets fired. You can't make this up.

Nephtes

Philando did the right thing, had the presence of mind to be helpful and let the officer know he had a weapon in the car, and had documentation to prove his legal right to do so.

The officer heard the word "gun" and murdered him out of fear.

Where the *fuck* is the NRA on this? If they are what they say they are, and not the pack of ghouls leveraging race politics for monetary gain that many of us know they are, where the fuck are they?

This pisses me off more than anything. Philando did what conceal carry permit holders have been taught to do. Calmly notify the police of a gun on your person.

As a responsible gun owner and licensed concealed carry permit holder and dare I say it on GAF, NRA member, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE NRA ON THIS?

If the NRA won't come out on this and codemn this police officer and this irresponsible jury, then they can count me and my money out of their organization.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Are you kidding he's going to get a promotion out of this.

Killing blacks is the fast track to success in police forces these days.

Naw he was fired. St. Anthony Police Department put out a statement right after the verdict was read. It's the only "positive" of this whole thing.

Doesn't mean that he can't move to another state and get another job. Might be a cop or state patrol position, might be corporate security, but he'll be able to land a gig. He was acquitted, so it's not like he did anything wrong.

:(

Opto

Banned
This pisses me off more than anything. Philando did what conceal carry permit holders have been taught to do. Calmly notify the police of a gun on your person.

As a responsible gun owner and licensed concealed carry permit holder and dare I say it on GAF, NRA member, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE NRA ON THIS?

If the NRA won't come out on this and codemn this police officer and this irresponsible jury, then they can count me and my money out of their organization.
C'mon, like the NRA was ever going to go to bat for Castile.

I don't give a fuck what color you are. If you think people don't become cops because they know they can literally get away with murder, you're naive at best. I know cops are humans, humans who took a job where they dehumanize other people so they can maintain a status quo where they get away with murdering people like me. Fuck your all lives matter bullshit

That's how they train them, to fear certain groups and use that fear to justify murder. We've seen it over and over again. They cultivate fear and hatred of blacks and then kill unarmed innocent people, routinely. At some point, you realize it isn't a coincident, this is the job of being a police officer; ticketing, jailing & killing minorities.

You should step away from your computer now.

I don't think I could live in a country where a child has to plead with you to please stay calm about the fact that their father was just senselessly murdered.....because they're scared they're going to come for you next.....that the POLICE might murder you in front of them point blank too....

America is a failure of a country for the ALLOWING and COMPLICITY toward this reality alone.

Then again, police can do botched raids and shoot up little girls or fire flash bangs into their rooms while they sleep and burn them alive with no repercussion so of course the fucking cop ain't getting charged for this.

I'm not a person who disliked police, but if I lived in America? I would barely want to look at, let alone interact with or have respect for ANY single person who could wear that uniform and stay silent. Which is basically every single one of them.

How is he trolling?

You guys HAVE to stop accusing posters of trolling just because they have a different opinion than you .

Nah. He was trolling. He deliberately picked a thread where emotions are running high to voice some stupid and mundane opinion about how "not all cops wake up looking to kill someone", then used that pointless caveat to try and derail the thread.

Reeks

I realize others have responded to you and you may consider this dogpiling but I'll say this anyway. Within the Black community, the reputation of police are well known, this has happened since the conception of the US, if you think this is a new media craze then go into Black communities that can tell you tales of police escalation, violence, and murder spanning generations. I would dare you to tell them and me, that it's just media material.

At the end of the day, police are, and I said this in other topics as well, they are 100% responsible for their reputation. That is not a fact that is up for discussion or disputable. If they wanted to change public perception they would, they would work and change the police force. But so-called good cops, turn a blind eye to bad ones, and bad ones get away with murder. So skepticism of the police force is well warranted.

As a Black male living in the US I never feel safe when an office is present. I just don't. When the police decide to change then maybe I can have a change of heart. But I will say this, Black skepticism doesn't fill prisons with bodies or kill citizens and not face punishment. Complacency makes a person party to in the police force. And telling African Americans to leave....umm we weren't products of immigration.

May Castile rest and peace.

Thank you.

Top Bottom