• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Dashcam video shows officer firing 7 shots into Castile car

The DOJ put out dissertation-style reports on the systemic violence and racism in the Chicago PD and Ferguson PD. Sessions came into into office, literally said "TL;DR" and said we won't be doing that anymore because it's disturbing to suggest bias in local policing.

Yes, that's what he thinks is the disturbing part.

People have no idea how backwards Jess Sessions is taking this country. Probably the biggest tragedy of this new administration taking power. Criminal Justice reform has been a decades long struggle and just like that it's all at risk of being gone. Truly heartbreaking.

Fragile, weak, pathetic little scared man babies should not be officers of the law. Period.

How to Get Away with Murder: be a police officer.
Fuck this country. And before anyone of you tell me "why don't you leave then?". Believe me, I'm working on it.

Imagine being a person of color and knowing that an officer, a representative of the state, can do whatever they want to you and get away with it? Just at least try to empathize with that.

And then when you speak out about it, like the man in my avatar, you're blacklisted and treated as a pariah for not being "patriotic". The hubris of these people is sickening.

It seems to me that all a cop has to say is he/she feared for their safety and it's justified murder.
Police Shootings, Race, and the Fear Defense
The DOJ put out dissertation-style reports on the systemic violence and racism in the Chicago PD and Ferguson PD. Sessions came into into office, literally said "TL;DR" and said we won't be doing that anymore because it's disturbing to suggest bias in local policing.

Baltimore PD as well.

FBI investigation in 2006 of white supremacists infiltrating law enforcement, but, you know, nothing to see here. Just keep the nigras in check I suppose.

Its disturbing to suggest it?

I'd always like to think that I attempt to see politics from all sides of the spectrum but is there something I'm missing here? There's no way he actually believes that so what is there in this that makes him be disingenuous? Is he not worried because he's white? Does he actually hate black people? I really can't think of much beyond that.

Kreed

Consider

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/05/10/dog-shot-by-cop/

Jury Awards $1.26 Million For Dog Shot, Killed By Police Officer

I know this wasn't the point of your post, but generally speaking there has been "no issue" giving the Black police shooting victim's families money:

Michael Brown

Trayvon Martin

Eric Garner

Sandra Bland

Freddie Gray

Tamir Rice

Etc... The issue is sending people to jail, which is what juries in these cases have refused to do over and over outside of cases like Walter Scott where the officer pleaded guilty for a lesser charge. And all of this adds to the message that other posters in this thread have been saying. US Juries (aka the average US citizen) do not want to send police officers to jail for killing Black people. They will gladly hand out millions and by doing so admit the officers did "something" wrong to these Black victims, they just don't want to admit officers committed a crime.

Enzom21

I'd always like to think that I attempt to see politics from all sides of the spectrum but is there something I'm missing here? There's no way he actually believes that so what is there in this that makes him be disingenuous? Is he not worried because he's white? Does he actually hate black people? I really can't think of much beyond that.
Sessions?
I would say he isn’t fond of us.
https://thinkprogress.org/who-is-jeff-sessions-b6d11fd06173

Kill3r7

Was this video not viewed in court. What the fuck.

Murder.

Read the OP. The video was only viewed in court prior to Tuesday when it was shared with the public.

I asked a bunch of cop buddies where they see this going wrong and they all said without exception the moment they hear "gun" they ready to throw down and are taught to take zero chances. None of em outright condone this shooting but all say at a stop like this to keep hands on steering wheel palms up and ask the officer "How should I proceed?"

What gets me is the onus is on the civilian to be in full control of their senses and know what to do and what not to do st all times yet the cop gets to assume and adlib it.

The system is broken.

Ditto. Spoke with a coworker who use to be a sergeant in NYPD.

There's a heavy emphasis, at least what I can tell as an outsider looking in on US culture, on the 'nobility' of the police profession. It is held up, similarly to military service, as a profession of sacrifice. Potentially risking one's life in the name of defending life, liberty, and justice. To suggest that the police are anything less than noble lions, proud and strong, is seen by many to belittle that sacrifice.

Then couple that with the fact that yes, in the United States there is a much higher probability that a person - not criminals, not suspects, people in general - will carry a gun. In a single second, a person could draw, shoot, and kill an officer who doesn't act first. So they default to the position of presuming that threat unless it is proven otherwise. That unless they can see your hands do not have a gun in them, they cannot be certain you do not have a gun in them. If faced with Schrodinger's cat they would act on the presumption the cat is alive and will claw them if they open the box.

This was not helped on either end by the event that has defined American culture and politics for the last decade and a half - 9/11. Firstly, the possibility of the profession's 'sacrifice' is intertwined with one of the most catastrophic events in the nation's history. Besmirch the police, you besmirch the actions they took to save lives on the worst day in living memory for many, even if it was one department in one city faced with extraordinary circumstances. Secondly, is even while they don't typically, actually fight terrorists, they are positioned as the 'blue line' that defends society against such evil. They must be paranoid and suspicious, so they will never be unprepared. They must be well armed, so they can take down the enemy. They must shoot first, or they may lose their own life, and others will die because they didn't protect them first.

That mindset trickles down into their everyday policing and behaviour, and since such everyday policing and behaviour is already fucked up by societal expectations of who is or isn't more likely to be a threat, the result is... not great.

Jesus, why even BECOME a cop if simply hearing the word gun come out of a black guy's mouth is enough to send you into this kind of panic? (Although, putting it like that, sure makes sense why white supremacists were trying to hard to infiltrate law enforcement.)

How the hell did any jury see that and conclude that the cop was not guilty? It's a denial of reality, itself, like denying he was wearing pants when he shot him. Even if half of the jury was "black lives matter are terrorists" buffoons, there has to be something else at play, like maybe the prosecutor overcharged relative to what could actually be said, legally, to have happened, or the judge gave instructions that basically constrained this jury to not call this out for what it so obviously is because of some technicality. You'd have to be huffing some Jim Crow-level racism to watch that and feel like nothing happened that was wrong.
Trying? They've already infiltrated law enforcement and politics.

zelas

I asked a bunch of cop buddies where they see this going wrong and they all said without exception the moment they hear "gun" they ready to throw down and are taught to take zero chances. None of em outright condone this shooting but all say at a stop like this to keep hands on steering wheel palms up and ask the officer "How should I proceed?"

What gets me is the onus is on the civilian to be in full control of their senses and know what to do and what not to do st all times yet the cop gets to assume and adlib it.

The system is broken.
Outside of the undeniably racists officers that exist and are ignored all over this country, that's one of my other main issues.

Civilians aren't the ones volunteering to be in that position. They aren't paid to undergo training to deal with those situations like the police are. Cops want to get credit for putting lives of others before theirs but in almost every situation like this we hear from higher ups about how they "have to worry about the safety of their officers first." That's unacceptable to me. If their training for this situation leads to this outcome as often as it does, then maybe they should think about alternatives.

jmizzal

This is pure murder, 7 shots is ridiculous, if you panic and think he is reaching you might shot once, the dude didnt even pull anything. There are criminals who are shooting at cops that dont get shot at 7 times by the cops.

Consider

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/05/10/dog-shot-by-cop/

Jury Awards $1.26 Million For Dog Shot, Killed By Police Officer

To be fair, cops largely get away with killing dogs by using the same "Feared for my life" excuses they use when they kill black people. You can see videos in which cops escalate a situation from 1 to 10 when the dog isn't even doing anything wrong, though those situations are far less common than cases like this.

Which is to say that cops treat black people almost as well as they treat dogs, and juries don't usually see that behavior as being worthy of punishment.

Saw this video on the news this morning... went from easy happy morning mood to raging fucking indignation in the minute and a half it played... I honestly can't believe this; it's appalling, it's tragic, and it is undoubtedly criminal... I can't even pretend to understand the horror of being black in America... what a fucking travesty...

Seven times? Wtf? Why do you need to shoot your weapon seven times INTO a vehicle????

INTO A VEHICLE WITH A CHILD IN THE BACK SEAT FFS!!!!

Shredderi

If you are a coward who's first response to a stressful situation involving a black person is to not just kill but overkill (seven rounds?!?) everyone THEN DON'T FUCKING BECOME A COP YOU CUNT.

Being a police officer has traditionally been seen as somewhat heroic and brave, but with these fucking pussies infesting the police force I'd say it's safe to say that this perception no longer holds true in the States.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The cop never saw the gun. He says as much at the tail end of the dash cam video. He said he didn't know where "the fucking gun is" because Castile didn't tell him.
He never gave him the chance.

How to Get Away with Murder: be a police officer.

We literally pay mostly unqualified and undertrained guys to run around with guns and tell people what to do and if they don't these guys can kill them or arrest them and seize all their stuff.

It's mind-boggling.

And yes, I have close family and friends that are cops - but even they will tell you a lot of these guys are truly not stable mentally or intelligent enough to be running around with a gun and badge. And the Blue Shield / "Protect your own" mentality is unshakeable.

I couldn't get past the description.

America is not a free country.

Even if he didn't get the manslaughter charge, why wasn't he at least charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm. There were two unarmed civilians in the car he could have shot that weren't any threat, let alone he shot like 7 times.

blackflag

The system is broken.

i carry a gun on me and in my car and thats how i handle it. itell the cop, with my hands firmly on the wheel and dont move.

this cop murdered him though. just because you dont know how to handle a stop when you are carrying a gun in your car doesnt mean you should be murdered. coward police.

Even if he didn't get the manslaughter charge, why wasn't he at least charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm. There were two unarmed civilians in the car he could have shot that weren't any threat, let alone he shot like 7 times.
Because the jury apparently believed that if the underlying shoot was lawful, then the discharge itself was also lawful and justified, the others in the car notwithstanding. It makes perverse sense if you find him not guilty for killing the man. So maddening.

Saya

Did you guys see this Twitter thread? Absolutely insane. https://twitter.com/webster/status/877277772330266625

jesus fucking christ

this fucking guy

DCy3MtOW0AM152M.jpg
DCy3OEvXoAIFRoL.jpg

Usobuko

Banned
Seems very easy to just kill anyone by pretending they were a threat. Legally too and with probably half the country on your side.

A psychopath wet dream realized.

Ogodei

How do american police officers still have any credibility in the eyes of a Jury? Despite a pretty damning video of a citizen with a carry license doing exactly as asked, all an officer has to do is pull a scout salute and promise they saw him reach for the gun and it's golden.

Lots of people reflexively presume the police are right, mostly because the anti-police opposition is black-based.

yepyepyep

Infuriating. The officer did not act in a rational or controlled manner during and after the shooting. How is it that the girlfriend who had to watch her partner die was the most composed during the situation?

Seems very easy to just kill anyone by pretending they were a threat. Legally too and with probably half the country on your side.

A psychopath wet dream realized.

It's why these people become cops, because they know they can literally get away with murder

I just know they brag about every kill too; after they kill a Tamir Rice, you can bet the officers treat it like they're hunters with a trophy kill. I'm sure they give each other standing ovations in their locker rooms after they kill an unarmed black person

The system is broken.

I shouldn't have come to GAF today. I'm getting angrier and angrier as I read through the OT.

Lots of people reflexively presume the police are right, mostly because the anti-police opposition is black-based.

Bingo. You can hear certain folks talk shit about cops all their life but involve a minority in the matter, and the cheerleading suddenly begins, like fucking clockwork.

Tahnit

Banned
Ok I just watched the video. Castile can be heard "I have to" after the cop told him not to pull it out. Is it possible the gun was interfering with the ability to pull out his identification?

Philando did the right thing, had presence of mind, and legally carried.

The officer heard the word "gun" and murdered him out of fear.

Where the *fuck* is the NRA on this? If they are what they say they are, and not the pack of ghouls leveraging race politics for monetary gain that many of us know they are, where the fuck are they?

The NRA is never going to support black people.

Heroman

Banned
This is why guns shouldn't be so prevalent in the US. So many people have them, or at least that's the impression, that cops are worried every person they stop has a gun. A cop in Canada, UK or Australia can stop someone and almost be certain they don't have a gun. It make US cops very jumpy and trigger happy.

Obviously there's more issues to this, but I see that as a big one.
He wasn't killed because of the gun, he was killed because he was a black man with a gun aka the most dangerous thing in America.

Top Bottom