• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Dashcam video shows officer firing 7 shots into Castile car

I am shocked that he got away with it.

In less than two secs it seems, the cop shoots. From the warning to not move, to shooting, that is all it took. That's is no where near enough time for anyone to comply.

Instead he will eventually lose his job and move onto another area to join the police. People are getting tired of shit like this.

In no way do I justify the cowards that ambush cops, but I understand how they can do it. It does feel like some cops just have it out for black people and if I were black, I would be terrified to pulled over by a cop in the US.

sajj316

This is injustice here. He blasts 7 shots into the car with a child in it. Absolutely reckless. Castile proactively tells him he's carrying after the officer asks for license and registration. He was being polite to the officer and was NOT in anyway defiant. 7 freaking bullets. Inexperience, not proper training, wrong type of person for the job (anxiety over death or fear of dying), etc. Whatever it is .. an innocent man lost his life.

This is injustice here. He blasts 7 shots into the car with a child in it. Absolutely reckless. Castile proactively tells him he's carrying after the officer asks for license and registration. He was being polite to the officer and was NOT in anyway defiant. 7 freaking bullets. Inexperience, not proper training, wrong type of person for the job (anxiety over death or fear of dying), etc. Whatever it is .. an innocent man lost his life.

It's the way he fired the weapon too which makes me angry. Fucking seriously, one fucking handed with a kid in the backseat.

Barzul

I just saw this and I cried. I'm a grown ass man and I couldn't stop it. I know that as black man this could easily be me if I just happened to "fit the description". Now he's being demonized for smoking weed. A drug that is now legal is several states in the Union. I'm pissed and it almost makes not want to have children. Who wants to have their child scarred by seeing something like that.

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/877722236244774912

Footage of the daughter and girlfriend in police car.

Aklamarth

That footage is harrowing. The guy gets straight up murdered doing what he was told just because the policeman got scared (!) And policeman got acquitted for this...

I just saw this and I cried. I'm a grown ass man and I couldn't stop it. I know that as black man this could easily be me if I just happened to "fit the description". Now he's being demonized for smoking weed. A drug that is now legal is several states in the Union. I'm pissed and it almost makes not want to have children. Who wants to have their child scarred by seeing something like that.

Fucking tell me about it, I fear for myself everyday (I make all my lights on my car are working before I leave the house) and I dread the day that my son starts to drive (which will be sometime this year).

ZOONAMI

It's the way he fired the weapon too which makes me angry. Fucking seriously, one fucking handed with a kid in the backseat.

It's obvious he was completely panicking and should have never been a cop.

Fucking jury gives him a pass because most people still always going to give a cop a pass because it's a "tough job" and they "protect us."

I honestly don't think cops should even do traffic stops unless there is an apb out on the plate or if someone is swerving pretty dangerously (drunk) or doing +20mph over speed. They just needlessly escalate things. Just send the owner a ticket and a notice to replace their lights tabs or whatever they need to do to get the car up to code.

Get out of the car, pulling guns, etc. Why the fuck does he even have his gun drawn when there is a kid in the car and the gun in the car isn't even immediately accessible to the driver, and the driver did everything right as far as being licensed and informed the officer he has a gun and the proper permit. It's all just a fucking power trip.

Ekai

He literally says he's not reaching for his gun and the pos just fires 7 times anyway.
......fuck this country. Fuck the police. Organized thugs for the Republican party.

Daria

I don't understand why we want to keep watching these videos. I understand that we want people to be held accountable for their actions but what justice does viewing these videos and pictures serve us, the general population? Over the years we have normalized our reactions of being desensitized to all of the ugly in their world surrounding us.

Hell, i watched the video of his fiancé and child in the back of the partners car and i felt that was worse than the shooting. These are real people, real life and death situations, and we plaster their death on the internet for all to see. It's complete bonkers.

ZOONAMI

I don't understand why we want to keep watching these videos. I understand that we want people to be held accountable for their actions but what justice does viewing these videos and pictures serve us, the general population? Over the years we have normalized our reactions of being desensitized to all of the ugly in their world surrounding us.

Hell, i watched the video of his fiancé and child in the back of the partners car and i felt that was worse than the shooting. These are real people, real life and death situations, and we plaster their death on the internet for all to see. It's complete bonkers.

Because it's important to understand that cops are fucking murdering people and that it's documented? That the videos generate activism around police abuse of power?

The Kree

Banned

We watch them so that we understand why people lash out when justice isn't served.

Paz

I didn't think I had any innocence left to lose, but that Daily Show segment proved me wrong and I feel slightly more dead inside.

Just, fuck.

Davidion

Sorry for the long post. Just had my wheels turning about how my reactions are compared to what happened in this case.

Nah, this is really helpful and sheds light on what I hope is how things ought to be done. Echoing everyone else here.

Back to this. The shooting here is disgusting. I'm really having a hard time watching the video.

OraleeWey

That's fucking sad.

Daria

Because it's important to understand that cops are fucking murdering people and that it's documented? That the videos generate activism around police abuse of power?

Any logical thinking person knows that cops abuse their power, that has been documented many times over. Just like there have been activists pressing for police reform for years. Neither of these conclusions need to come by the way of watching somebody get murdered on video.

We watch them so that we understand why people lash out when justice isn't served.

But why do we need to watch the actual murder to understand? Many people justify anger toward police without ever watching these. We showcase these people's last moments in the hopes of making change but that rarely happens. Body cams and dash cams are pointless in today's world when communities will back police again and again. Dead black peoples shouldn't be used as a prop to get views on your network.

The Kree

Banned
Any logical thinking person knows that cops abuse their power, that has been documented many times over. Just like there have been activists pressing for police reform for years. Neither of these conclusions need to come by the way of watching somebody get murdered on video.

But why do we need to watch the actual murder to understand? Many people justify anger toward police without ever watching these. We showcase these people's last moments in the hopes of making change but that rarely happens. Body cams and dash cams are pointless in today's world when communities will back police again and again. Dead black peoples shouldn't be used as a prop to get views on your network.

You've asked the same question twice with different words. If you don't wanna watch it, don't. If you don't want the videos to exist, do something towards making the killing stop.

Upon viewing the new footage, this was, even if viewed most charitably towards the officer, a clear case of negligent homicide by an unjustified shooting. Not only should the officer have been convicted, but every person up the chain that bore responsibility for this man serving as a police officer should have been reprimanded to the fullest extent dictated by law and professional ethics.

The way this case has played out will necessarily further weaken public confidence in our civil institutions, and rightly so. This isn't going to be an easy thing to fix. The police are too friendly with the systems that need to hold them accountable. The public are too willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, even when there is clear evidence of error. It's extremely disheartening.

And speaking on an emotional level, this was a gut-wrenching tragedy. I saw the Facebook stream before it was removed. The Twitter video is fucking brutal, and that child has been so deeply harmed. I believed that people would be touched by seeing things like this and change their attitudes. I have to hope that public sentiment is changing to be more empathetic to the victims because of the video evidence being shared.

So.. I get to the back part of the front door, they already rolled down their window. I identify myself, and explain why I stopped them. The driver responds, "Sir, I have a concealed weapons permit and I am carrying my weapon" I simply thank him and ask if his license, registration or insurance information is anywhere in the area of his weapon. If it's a "no", then I ask him to retrieve the documents for me please. If it's a "yes". I'll ask for the name, date of birth, and address, or license number.. I'll write it down. Thank him for the info, walk back to my car, backwards, watching the driver/and any other occupants, while at the same time, constantly checking my surroundings as I walk back.

I get to my car, run the info.. all comes back clear. I ask for whatever physical descriptors listed on the license. I get a good idea if the person matches those features, etc. Write the warning, or ticket, whatever the case may be. Walk back up there, still focusing on my surroundings as well as what I can tell is going on in the vehicle, etc.

Explain the warning/ticket, ask him/her to please be careful with the speed, and then walk back to my car in the careful manner I explained earlier. Open the door, wait until the driver pulls off, then I get in my car and leave.

That is a very reasonable sequence of actions. Weren't all cops instructed to do so? Why he was so easily freakout?

This whole situation is beyond believe.

Did the cop not have a body cam on? I'd be interested to see exactly what he was seeing when he thought the guy was pulling a gun.

You can tell from his reaction after that he knew he fucked up big time.

The video from that link is damning af. Was that stuff presented to the jury? I'm not sure what all is admissible and whatnot but if what's in that video is true and the jury was made aware of it I don't understand how every single one of them could agree he did nothing wrong.

I can't watch more than half that video.

Wow, I hadn't seen that portion of the clip they showed from when she was broadcasting it live on Facebook. She was so calm immediately after it happened, while the cop was on edge the entire time. What the fuck

F34R

Again I want to say I appreciate the long posts - and I'm sure there are a thousand readers who do so while following the thread, but since you are not posting "controversial" comments there are no replies.

I feel what you write underlines what a hard job being a police officer is, and why training is of utmost importance - not just being able to follow procedure but also the psychological aspect of controlling your response to situation, maintaining both physical and mental control of the surroundings and emotional state of participants etc - it's a pity what we hear is budget cuts that impact just this part of policing, which leads to members on the force being ill-equipped to face these tough situations.

It is hard. When I get dressed for work, I had to mentally prepare myself for what could be my last night on Earth. It's hard.

I didn't have a mental evaluation when hired, I wasn't even polygraphed. I was barely interviewed. I was a security guard before, and the Police Chief would walk in every few day to meet with the director of the place I was working and always troll me, "when do you wanna become a real cop?" My contract was up, and I went and talked with their Capt. Filled out the application, hired a couple days later. I had maybe a five minute talk prior to being hired.

Our Academy, in South Carolina, puts you through a lot of stressful life-like situations and they can weed out a decent amount of mentally unstable officers. A good bit of departments require mental evals, poly's, etc., before hiring. Some smaller cities, like where I worked, didn't.

Back to the mentality here.. it's really hard. Again, this could be my last night here. This could be it. I don't want to go through each shift thinking I might die. You have to put that aside. If you can't, in my opinion, things like this incident can happen.

Some people are wired differently. I don't value my life as much as I value another life. I'll finish this off and then I'll try and keep the stories out and weigh in on the current events. The night of my last shift, I prepared myself just as I always have. I put to others well being in place of my own. The first was a drunk guy, who I could just have taken to jail. I suspected there was more to it than alcohol, so I had him taken to the hospital. That event freed me up to go to the next event. Had I taken him to jail, I wouldn't have been available for this next event. I went to deal with a group of teens that left home without permission, after midnight. I met them on the side of the road. I've been dealing with one of them for a couple years. Rough family life for this kid. The blink of an eye is fast. That moment where I had a choice on the side of the road, my life or his, I saved his. I wasn't going to live through what happened when the oncoming car hit me. My family was notified to get to the hospital asap to see me before I was gone. I went into a coma and it was just a matter of time before it was the end for me. A surgeon was able to save my brain stem from snapping and the cut my skull open to let the swelling be relieved and drain the blood.

Miraculously, and obviously lol, I lived. How, who knows. Personally, I thank God for all the things that went right to be able to get me to a surgeon that was experienced in what happened to me.

That'll be my last shift. With that, I'm proud at what I did in my profession for other people. Whether I locked someone up, my case work led someone to prison, rescued dozens of children from drug riddled homes, I never took another life. I did whatever I could, even when the odds were against whether I'd live or not were against me, I made a choice.

I think your posts and experiences are necessary for a thread like this. Thanks for the stories.
Thank you.

Please do. It's always great to read post like yours coming from people on the other side of the fence.
Thank you.

Thanks for your insight!
Very welcome.

I'm here to echo everyone else. Continue if you want. Your posts have been insightful.
Thank you.

Nah, this is really helpful and sheds light on what I hope is how things ought to be done. Echoing everyone else here.

Back to this. The shooting here is disgusting. I'm really having a hard time watching the video.

As far as the shooting goes.. it's hard for me to separate myself from my own feelings when it comes to this. I trust the system. If they were able to convince the jury that he was reasonable in fear for his life, then it's on our legislators to work on the laws and elements of these things.

Reaching for a gun that hasn't been seen doesn't meet the requirements for me personally. I'd have to see the gun, see that he is in fact reaching for it. Things can happen so fast.

It's hard to wrap around this one. I understand the logic behind it, but it's still hard to understand how it meets the idea that an officer would reasonably fear for his life with a hint of a real threat.

That is a very reasonable sequence of actions. Weren't all cops instructed to do so? Why he was so easily freakout?

This whole situation is beyond believe.
I don't know how they are trained. It's easy to second guess things from a couch without any real consequences for our actions while we watch it unfold. I honestly don't think I would have shot into that car with a child in there. I would probably have retreated once I saw the gun, to the back of the car and weighed my options at that point.

Nepenthe

Nothing breaks a black person even more than having slam dunk evidence of an officer murdering a black man for no reason and a white jury still deciding the officer was justified. This is the kind of shit that just makes me want to leave this racist shithole behind and let white people have it. Fuck it- y'all have made the point already.

It is hard. When I get dressed for work, I had to mentally prepare myself for what could be my last night on Earth. It's hard.

I know every cop has a different view of their own risks but I wonder if pilots, logging workers and fisherman (which all have a death rate on the job 4x higher than law enforcement) wake up each day thinking that today they may die?
Perhaps the gun culture and the bleeds/leads news cycle actually warps the view police have of their own situation.'after all apart from that national Geo ice fisherman series nobody really makes sure their death rate is always in the news.

finowns

The video was worse than I thought. That was terrible

Edit-- what makes it so bad is the video is very clear on what occurred. The Officer was out of control and killed someone.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This is unbelievable. That deranged cop.. Holy shit how the fuck did she manage to stay calm in light of that fucker. Wooooooow

Also FUUUUCK that fucking jury

Daria

You've asked the same question twice with different words. If you don't wanna watch it, don't. If you don't want the videos to exist, do something towards making the killing stop.

Yep and I have yet to receive an actual answer on why we need to watch these videos. There's actual mental issues that can result from watching them but yeah, push for them to be played more. It seems a lot of users ITT don't understand why desensitization is a bad thing.

Also, are you out in the streets advocating for police reform or is this just a go-to response? Go ahead and tell the rest of the people who posted in a four page thread about a video to do the same.

This is unbelievable. That deranged cop.. Holy shit how the fuck did she manage to stay calm in light of that fucker. Wooooooow

Also FUUUUCK that fucking jury

because she was black and knew what would havr happened if she didn't stay calm.

azyless

Wow. This is so shocking. Video and all and yet a murderer goes free because he wears a badge (again).
I can't imagine being that woman in the passenger seat. I dont know how she did it but thank fuck she stayed calm because that guy is a nutjob.

Jonnax

Yep and I have yet to receive an actual answer on why we need to watch these videos. There's actual mental issues that can result from watching them but yeah, push for them to be played more. It seems a lot of users ITT don't understand why desensitization is a bad thing.

Also, are you out in the streets advocating for police reform or is this just a go-to response? Go ahead and tell the rest of the people who posted in a four page thread about a video to do the same.

Desensitisation is a bad thing, yes.
But people need to understand what the reality is for a person that isn't white when they're dealing with the police.
Every interaction with a police officer can result in their death even if they did nothing wrong.
This is a common thing. There are countless examples of it happening.

Yet there are many who deny this. They try to silence voices of dissent against these injustices and they are successful. This is evidenced in how many jury acquittals there are in these cases, the average person believes that the police do nothing wrong.
In their eyes killing a black person in justified.

Machina

Banned
I mean, that cop is a hysterical lunatic after filling him full of lead. HOW is he allowed to be a cop, let alone carry a gun?

How do american police officers still have any credibility in the eyes of a Jury? Despite a pretty damning video of a citizen with a carry license doing exactly as asked, all an officer has to do is pull a scout salute and promise they saw him reach for the gun and it's golden.

Probably the same reason half of em vote republican.

Top Bottom