• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld has sold over 5 million copies in only 3 days | Momentum continues with latest sales figures reaching 86k units per hour

GHG

Over 550k concurrent on Steam, safe to say this is blowing up.

8PWACFT.jpg

Might give it a go.

TheAssist

Yeah I've seen it yesterday on the front page and watched a trailer. I mean its a very blatant Pokemon rip off in terms of design, but I think they just try to fill the void that the pokemon franchise has left in many peoples heart. So good on them, I hope the actual product is also good. The trailer looked like its trying to replace my actual life by offering just too much stuff I dont care about (why include farming and building...I just want to explore and hunt), but I guess thats what a lot of the younger generation of gamers want, so again, good on them.

We'll see if the hype can be retained

GHG

Another game's sales destroyed by Gamepass. 😭

You act like most people on PC give a shit about gamepass.

They don't, especially not for a game that costs as little as this one does.

Maybe people should take the hint that people are happy to just buy the games they want to play on a storefront that actually works instead of renting a bunch of crap they don't want to play on a storefront that doesn't work.

Urban

All of those twitch hype games break a new record and then go back to a "normal" playerbase.
Valheim anyone?
V-Rising anyone?
Battlebit anyone?

But i heard its a good game, but since it has crafting its nothing for me.

GHG

All of those twitch hype games break a new record and then go back to a "normal" playerbase.
Valheim anyone?
V-Rising anyone?
Battlebit anyone?

All of those games you listed have healthy player bases, have and excellent reception in terms of the Steam review scores and continue to sell well.

What's the problem exactly?

Urban

So like every other popular game?

All of those games you listed have healthy player bases, have and excellent reception in terms of the Steam review scores and continue to sell well.

No Problem per se, but those "new record breaking number tweets" mean nothing in the longrun.
Multiversus enterted the Chat.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No Problem per se, but those "new record breaking number tweets" mean nothing in the longrun.
Multiversus enterted the Chat.

Nothing wrong with small developers thanking fans for their success. Those small developers had zero marketing! Think about that. PC is the only platform I play and this Pal World game went completely under my radar.
So I’m happy for them. Their thanks truly means something versus a mega publisher like WB, who’s just trying to market their FTP Live Service game further.

My comment was that there’s nothing unusual about a drop off of players - leaving just a dedicated fanbase behind. That happens with every game.

magnumpy

It's not Pokemon. Before shit posting at least try to watch a gameplay video of it. It's a survival game.

Pokemon is a cock fighting simulator.

yes I'm familiar with the gameplay. and the distinctions/differences between Palworld and Pokémon.

while it is a different game, the similarities between the two titles are inarguable. Palworld would not exist if not for Pokémon. just like Digimon would not exist if not for Pokémon. it is a derivative work.

twilo99

You act like most people on PC give a shit about gamepass.

They don't, especially not for a game that costs as little as this one does.

Maybe people should take the hint that people are happy to just buy the games they want to play on a storefront that actually works instead of renting a bunch of crap they don't want to play on a storefront that doesn't work.

I’m a PC gamer and I take full advantage of gamepass. Why wouldn’t you?

The storefront works just fine..

GHG

I’m a PC gamer and I take full advantage of gamepass. Why wouldn’t you?

The storefront works just fine..

You keep saying the bold, it doesn't make it true. The issues with the windows store/xbox app are well documented at this stage.

I have no interest in renting games on a permanent or semi-permanent basis. Just like most rational people, they would rather purchase a game where they want it and not have to worry about paying monthly to maintain access to it.

This isn't complicated.

Kenpachii

Valheim anyone?
V-Rising anyone?
Battlebit anyone?

Valheim trucked on for years after its release lol. Still one of the best games i ever played.

hlm666

It's bloody funny when something is selling well the concern shift to essentially engagement next month lol.

wolffy66

You keep saying the bold, it doesn't make it true. The issues with the windows store/xbox app are well documented at this stage.

I have no interest in renting games on a permanent or semi-permanent basis. Just like most rational people, they would rather purchase a game where they want it and not have to worry about paying monthly to maintain access to it.

This isn't complicated.
If I look at the hours spent playing games, I'm not sure "owning a game" sticks out as what people are demanding.

GHG

If I look at the hours spent playing games, I'm not sure "owning a game" sticks out as what people are demanding.

Neither is "subscribing to some online rental service", since subscriptions have stagnated across the board now.

Most people fall into one of two categories:
  • You own more games than you have time to play
  • You are casual and you only play a select handful of games per year
These all you can eat subscription services are not attractive to either.

And in the case of this game, it's a low cost game that demands a lot of time from the player and steam's refund policy makes it so that people will be happy to try it in the knowledge that a refund is easy and pretty much instantaneous.

You're right, co-op correct?

Yes, and PVP is planned for the future allegedly.

Last edited:

Schmick

This isn't complicated.
And its not complicated to understand that Gamepass PC has its place, particularly for me and my friends who use the Gamepass library to try new games during our weekly game night without the issues of "what game shall we buy next".

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I played it on gamepass.

I love it. Aside from the crashes where it boots me back to my Xbox dashboard.

It did it a few times and I had to restart the game. Fortunately the save system is excellent and I didn't loose progress.

tmlDan

I played for a bit, changed graphics settings and it crashed, couldn't get on my solo "server" or whatever and uninstalled.

The game is very below average but Pokemon and Ark combos sell. So good for it i guess.

Top Bottom