• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld has sold over 5 million copies in only 3 days | Momentum continues with latest sales figures reaching 86k units per hour

Over 5 million

Here's the things. AAA games have stagnated in innovation (yes, looking at Gamefreak as well) and so finally when an AA studio makes an unpolished (the horror! unpolished, but fun >>>>> polished but generic) fun game, it takes off at lightning speed. Deserved and hopefully big publishers and studios take note. (allow AA tier experimentation) If not, their loss.

Shut0wen

Ladys and gentleman i pronounce palworld the next star citizen, hopefully the game becomes just as meta as fortnite
2RqF8zh.jpg

StueyDuck

This game looks like absolute hot shit to play.

what are people even doing :messenger_tears_of_joy: . I feel like people playing this are the same type of people who lost their shit over christmas for a fucking cup.

I'm guessing this game has a huge tiktok presence

Last edited:

CeeJay

what are people even doing :messenger_tears_of_joy: . I feel like people playing this are the same type of people who lost their shit over christmas for a fucking cup.

"This game looks like absolute hot shit to play." Yes it does

Even on paper it totally sounds like shovelware as well. Add to that the choppy performance and numerous glitches!

But...

Somehow though it all comes together to be more than the sum of it's parts and it's not entirely easy (for me anyway) to define how it achieves that. The game is the antithesis of AAA and maybe its this that is central to it's success. It feels cobbled together on a shoe string by a small team making it up and learning as they go along and doesn't try to make itself look anything other than that, it feels genuine whilst also being guilty of shameless plagiarism. It really respects your time with so many options to reduce the grind if you want. It sounds like a job simulator but it doesn't get to be that much of a chore as any tasks that could become repetitive are soon carried out autonomously before you get to that point. The game looks and sounds like hot garbage but is actually fun to play, it doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't demand too much from the player.

Reading all these tweets about how the devs didn't know what they were doing only makes me like it even more. Palworld should never have got this far, in 99.9% of the other universes it fell apart and never got close to release but we are in that 0.1% where by some unlikely set of events it did get released, captured lightening in a bottle and its glorious.

StueyDuck

"This game looks like absolute hot shit to play." Yes it does

Even on paper it totally sounds like shovelware as well. Add to that the choppy performance and numerous glitches!

But...

Somehow though it all comes together to be more than the sum of it's parts and it's not entirely easy (for me anyway) to define how it achieves that. The game is the antithesis of AAA and maybe its this that is central to it's success. It feels cobbled together on a shoe string by a small team making it up and learning as they go along and doesn't try to make itself look anything other than that, it feels genuine whilst also being guilty of shameless plagiarism. It really respects your time with so many options to reduce the grind if you want. It sounds like a job simulator but it doesn't get to be that much of a chore as any tasks that could become repetitive are soon carried out autonomously before you get to that point. The game looks and sounds like hot garbage but is actually fun to play, it doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't demand too much from the player.

Reading all these tweets about how the devs didn't know what they were doing only makes me like it even more. Palworld should never have got this far, in 99.9% of the other universes it fell apart and never got close to release but we are in that 0.1% where by some unlikely set of events it did get released, captured lightening in a bottle and its glorious.
It sounds like it's a bad game but people can't help themselves but try be a part of the "in crowd".

I liken it to those who wanted a damn cup for Christmas cause the internet told them it was what "cool kids" do

I've seen multiple gameplay videos now and it doesn't seem to do a single thing well, looks like your average "my first Unreal 3rd person shooter project".

I don't see the spark at all that would be making people lose their minds which leads me to believe it's a social media fad.

I assume it has a massive online popularity presence and that's about it.

Even the gimmick part of "pokemon with guns" looks like utter horse shit to play.

I don't see the spark at all that would be making people lose their minds which leads me to believe it's a social media fad.
The spark is the workforce. if you just fast forward the gameplay streams you would miss it. Everyone loved the moment when they realized the Pal is helping them build. The fact that the Pals smiled at them when the work is done. It matters. The developers are Dwarf Fortress fans by the way.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The spark is the workforce. if you just fast forward the gameplay streams you would miss it. Everyone loved the moment when they realized the Pal is helping them build. The fact that the Pals smiled at them when the work is done. It matters. The developers are Dwarf Fortress fans by the way.
Sounds to me more like they wanna make a little tiktok video. There really isn't any more gameplay in that scenario then your average Unreal asset flip survival game. .

Being a fan of something doesn't really mean anything. Just a game they like. I wouldn't compare the two games at all either, unless palworld has extremely hidden intricant systems and interactions which if so it does a terrible job of advertising it.

GenZ tiktokers make no sense to me. Same people who rather watch others play games than play themselves and if they do its some f2p gaas shyte or this type of game. So yeah this is the genZ pokemon most likely.

Then again, i never ever understood the love for Pokemon. I was 19/20 in 97 when that came out and it looked like something for elementary school aged kids. To see grown adults playing it at the local park a few decades later was surreal to say the least. I don't get the appeal of fortnite either or how all these kids play is gaas now....

Sounds to me more like they wanna make a little tiktok video. There really isn't any more gameplay in that scenario then your average Unreal asset flip survival game. .

Being a fan of something doesn't really mean anything. Just a game they like. I wouldn't compare the two games at all either, unless palworld has extremely hidden intricant systems and interactions which if so it does a terrible job of advertising it.
Hey, you do you. Palworld isn't paying me to advertise for them. I really don't care if you believe me or not.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

It plays just fine.

It’s fun and feels like there’s always something the player can be doing.

No idea about TikTok. I just know I’m having fun playing it.

Maybe try reading some of the user reviews, if you seriously want to know why people like it. Or were you just attempting to be edgy and hate on something popular?

MiguelItUp

Never thought this game would do this well to be honest, it's insane. But I'll also admit that I wasn't sure exactly how the gameplay would pan out. Sounds like people are enjoying it quite a bit. I still can't believe those numbers, absolutely insane.

CeeJay

It sounds like it's a bad game but people can't help themselves but try be a part of the "in crowd".

I liken it to those who wanted a damn cup for Christmas cause the internet told them it was what "cool kids" do

I've seen multiple gameplay videos now and it doesn't seem to do a single thing well, looks like your average "my first Unreal 3rd person shooter project".

Even the gimmick part of "pokemon with guns" looks like utter horse shit to play.
have you played it?

I think you are jumping to a lot of conclusions about why it's popular, for a start i'm in my late 40s and GAF is the only social media i get involved with, no TickTock, no Instagram, no Facebook, nothing! Obviously that's just me and i can't speak for the other multiple millions of players. Like I said in the post you replied to, it does look like all those things you are accusing it of and many more as well. However, I downloaded it yesterday afternoon on my Xbox through GP and had to tear myself away at 2am. The game is fun and for a crafting/survival it doesn't feel like a chore to progress as it employs idle mobile game style mechanics for what are normally monotonous repetitive tasks. They have shamelessly stolen the best bits from so many different games, mashed them all together and it somehow works. It works very very well, it shouldn't but it does.

It might well be a fad, i'm not planning to be still playing it in a years time. I'll play it until i'm bored but right now I can honestly say that it will need to be something special to stop Palworld being my GOTY

Last edited:

Based Asmon calling out those turds on social media whining about plagiarism.

In retrospect, Hogwarts was the most popular game of 2023. So there is quite a lot of proof he is right in saying the Cancelling does nothing for actual fun games.

And it isn't even the Hogwarts IP that did it; there was another Hogwarts game before, it was a GAAS on phones. That game was a money trap that stops you from having fun unless you are a whale. That game died for good reason. Fun games will succeed, and you can't guilt trip people into buying or not buying a game..

Last edited:

RainblowDash

Gold Member
Coming from the game Satisfactory, I'm really digging Palworld. There being much more enemies and monsters adds a lot of gameplay to the usual grind for resources.

I hope this game goes really far amd the naysayers can shut the fuck up, pokemon has gotten so dull in the past decade.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I dont get the hype, looks like absolute shit and plays like a game from 20 years ago. Whats the catch?
Pretty obvious, it's combining two very addictive, proven gameplay loops -- open-world survival and monster collecting, in a cheeky attention-grabbing parody. It's not revolutionary, it's just a winning formula.

Thaimasker

Nah. The gameplay loop is legit addicting/good.
It's exactly like Ark survival evolved but more accessible.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
No. That's an illogical way of looking at it.

A service provides.

Charging customers isn't a service.

Serving customers content is a service.

GAAS is any game that provides players with new content, at a regular cadence, after the game is purchased or downloaded.

No Mans Sky is GAAS.
PUBG was GAAS before F2P and after.
World of Warcraft is GAAS.

It's the most important game type in the industry and will be well after we die.
No Man's Sky is not a GAAS. Just because it has free DLC and updates does not make it GAAS. GAAS is usually a free game and has pay-to-win microtransactions as well as cosmetic MTX. Some full prices games have these which makes it worse. Mobile is the worst with this with timers and multiple currencies. Often have to pay to progress quicker or sometimes even at all.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
No Man's Sky is not a GAAS. Just because it has free DLC and updates does not make it GAAS. GAAS is usually a free game and has pay-to-win microtransactions as well as cosmetic MTX. Some full prices games have these which makes it worse. Mobile is the worst with this with timers and multiple currencies. Often have to pay to progress quicker or sometimes even at all.
NMS is most certainly a GaaS game. It's had continued development to cultivate a player base to continue selling copes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nintendo marketing mangers right now...... "Shit, we got to make some PC games!"

If Palworld can do 5M sales already, just imagine how many copies a Pokemon PC game would sell.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

They should have come up with a better acronym if that was true.

Interfectum

Nintendo marketing mangers right now...... "Shit, we got to make some PC games!"

If Palworld can do 5M sales already, just imagine how many copies a Pokemon PC game would sell.
It's never that simple.

Nintendo is currently playing in their own sandbox and making a shit ton of money playing by their own rules. The second they start putting out PC games, everything changes. From hardware sales expectations to how their software is created... it's going to take a lot more than this game selling a bit to change their entire business plan.

Holammer

Yamauchi's ghost will haunt the CEO that releases third party or PC. He was strict about owning the entire eco-system.
Would Pokemon sell on PC? I think so, slap anything on Steam and I think it's going to blow up the chart almost like Palworld did. Pokemon Unite would do numbers.

Top Bottom