• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld has sold over 5 million copies in only 3 days | Momentum continues with latest sales figures reaching 86k units per hour

tr1p1ex

I dont get the hype, looks like absolute shit and plays like a game from 20 years ago. Whats the catch?

This is where I truly show my age.

I can somewhat understand the "appeal" of an edgy pokemon parody for edgy teenagers.
But I don't understand why this game had to be a crafting-survival game, and why it is such a massive success.

It's just a dumb sandbox with the same old shit, a dumb Rust/Ark reskin. And yet, it's precisely because it is in that genre that it sells so much. To me it completely nullifies the impact a parody would have, makes it so damn boring... I'm really out of touch now.
Do you remember when Blair Witch project sold a lot of movie tickets?

GHG

Aside from Tamtam that everyone keeps bringing up, there's no Early Access program on PlayStation. It's been like that since the PS4.

Again, their previous game Craftopia had no exclusivity deal. It's been in EA forever, but it's only on Steam (Early Access) and Xbox (Game Preview) because it's still in EA.

There are more, they just aren't common.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How is Palworld a "game as a service" in its current form? There are no microtransactions. There are no subscriptions. No season passes. It's a one-time purchase.

In the video game industry, games as a service (GaaS) represents providing video games or game content on a continuing revenue model, similar to software as a service. Games as a service are ways to monetize video games either after their initial sale, or to support a free-to-play model. Games released under the GaaS model typically receive a long or indefinite stream of monetized new content over time to encourage players to continue paying to support the game. This often leads to games that work under a GaaS model to be called "living games", "live games", or "live service games" since they continually change with these updates.

You could categorize "early access" as a "live game" since by nature it will be continuously updated, but those updates are free post-purchase.

geary

GAAS is any game that recieves steady support from the developer after launch. Palworld is clearly GAAS.

I now see the new strategy. Try to narrowly define what is GAAS as GAAS grows in popularity to obfuscate its dominance.
BG3 got like 17 patches with fixes and new content....It might be GAAS aswell.

Guilty_AI

How is Palworld a "game as a service" in its current form? There are no microtransactions. There are no subscriptions. No season passes. It's a one-time purchase.

You could categorize "early access" as a "live game" since by nature it will be continuously updated, but those updates are free post-purchase.
Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes is just coping because his "GAAS is the future" narrative keeps crumbling down.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I have a few questions:

1. Is this playable on Steam Deck?
2. Playable solo?
3. Is there a campaign/ story?

I sort of liked Pokemon Arceus and played some of the others but they were so dated and graphics looked like ass. (How can Game Freak be so inept at crafting a Pokemon game that looks and plays like a game from the 21st century)?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It took GP 19 days to release a certified banger in 2024 versus 25 in 2023, that’s nice progress.

Also it’s hilarious how many Pokémon designs are straight up palette swapped into Palworld. Shameless as hell and I respect that.
I saw the pictures and comparisons. They are not pallet swaps. Some vague similarities but that it it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Temtem exists...

#Dead

Paul Rudd Reaction GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The developer is staying with the game post launch.

That's GAAS.

One major reason why GAAS is exploding is because developers can build bigger, more complex games. Disney World is bigger than the County Fair because they don't need to start from scratch every 6 years. GAAS builds upon itself.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The developer is staying with the game post launch.

That's GAAS.

One major reason why GAAS is exploding is because developers can build bigger, more complex games. Disney World is bigger than the County Fair because they don't need to start from scratch every 6 years. GAAS builds upon itself.

By your definition, that encompasses almost every game out there. Which makes it a bad definition. The wikipedia article I quoted has a much more robust definition of what a GAAS is considered to be among the general public.

sendit

This should be alarming to The Pokemon Company. If they're not careful, Pokemon could end up being PUBG to this being Fortnite.
Nah. Nintendo just needs to copy the survival sand box formula for Pokemon and this game would immediately be left behind. Pokemon has a cult like following.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
By your definition, that encompasses almost every game out there. Which makes it a bad definition. The wikipedia article I quoted has a much more robust definition of what a GAAS is considered to be among the general public.

That's kind of preposterous though isn't it?

Do we really not see a distinction between Epic Games staying with Fortnite post launch and From Softs relationship with Armored Core 6?

This feels like arguing in bad faith does it not?

Last edited:

Fabieter

Well I would totally call no man sky gaas and they never charged anything for their updates. But the support helped keep selling it for years and years. So imo that's totally gaas too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ah yes, wikipedia.
It would be nice if you address the actual points, please.

Well I would totally call no man sky gaas and they never charged anything for their updates. But the support helped keep selling it for years and years. So imo that's totally gaas too.
Okay, but why? What is the distinction that makes No Man's Sky a GAAS, in your opinion, compared to the other countless games with free updates that existed before the term GAAS was even coined?

Fabieter

It would be nice if you address the actual points, please.

Okay, but why? What is the distinction that makes No Man's Sky a GAAS, in your opinion, compared to the other countless games with free updates that existed before the term GAAS was even coined?

Scale! ou cant tell me one example which had free updates like no man sky even if it didn't cost anything. Big constant updates kept them in the news cycle.

Guilty_AI

That's kind of preposterous though isn't it?

Do we really not see a distinction between Epic Games staying with Fortnite post launch and From Softs relationship with Armored Core 6?

This feels like arguing in bad faith does it not?
What about Larian staying post Early Access launch with BG3 until release and post-release?

Guilty_AI

Scale! You cant tell me one example which had free updates like no man sky even if it didn't cost anything.
Beamng, Terraria, Stardew Valley, Factorio, Satisfactory, Dwarf Fortress, Project Zomboid, Dyson Sphere Program, Gedonia.... its not all that uncommon, especially among early access titles that keep regular updates even post-1.0.

A few like Grim Dawn may even charge for some expansions whilst still giving out free-updates for the base game. In the digital world you do need a strict definition of what a GAAS is supposed to look like. Just "gets updates/DLC" isn't enough as that emcompasses a far too large number of titles, even from before the term was coined.

Last edited:

Gideon

Holy shit they made such a good game with no experience at all. (note was written by the CEO)

Last edited:

Baki

Palworld is exactly the type of GAAS game that Sony should be developing. It’s a new, fun, fresh gameplay loop that isn’t served on their console. However, it’s only the type of game that gets made by a FP if they’re allowed to take real risks and are open to something more janky under a AA budget. It doesn’t happen by being safe. Fun game, I played it on GP, it would really benefit from a bigger budget.

Palworld is exactly the type of GAAS game that Sony should be developing
For curiousity's sake, where is everyone constantly getting the info that's stating this is a gaas game? I'm trying to figure out which outlets are either not doing enough research or giving out false information.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's nothing like no man sky. Vampire survivors even charge for the updates.

Yes, all 3 of their paid DLC that aren't more than two fifty. Not to mention all of the huge updates and patches that came out a year before the first DLC even came out, and that are still continuing to come out.

How are my examples nothing like No Man's Sky? Your criteria was lots of free updates. Let me remind you.

Scale! ou cant tell me one example which had free updates like no man sky even if it didn't cost anything. Big constant updates kept them in the news cycle.

All of my examples have loads of free updates.

Fabieter

Yes, all 3 of their paid DLC that aren't more than two fifty. Not to mention all of the huge updates and patches that came out a year before the first DLC even came out, and that are still continuing to come out.

How are my examples nothing like No Man's Sky? Your criteria was lots of free updates. Let me remind you.

All of my examples have loads of free updates.

You are right. Vampire survivor is gaas as well. The thing is all those dlcs and free updates help keep sell the game. A game doesn't need mtx to be gaas.

My brother is big on 7 days to die and thats constant updates for like 10 years and it will never leave early access. Hows that not games as a service? If they stopped updating the game it would have stopped selling years ago.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Do you think BG3 is GAAS?
By your definition it is apparently, since all it needs is post launch support and new content. Game had and has both for the last +3 years.

Must we defile ourselves by moving the GAAS goalposts because GAAS is dominating? Let's not.
More like you're stretching the net as thin as you can because the actual GAAS models are crumbling. Even that The Finals game you kept simping as the next new thing is slowly flopping.
BG3 isn't GAAS
Lethal Company isn't GAAS
Palworld isn't GAAS.

But i suppose if calling anything successful GAAS makes you feel better, go ahead. Doesn't change that they aren't tho.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I dont even know why people see a problem in calling it gaas. Is it because they hate gaas or something.
Because it isn't. If someone kept saying this is a racing game or a f2p game, they'd be corrected by others too.

As we mentioned earlier, a definition so wide that covers 50-70% of game releases is no definition. You'd have to be willing to call any Early Access game a GAAS at minimum.

Last edited:

MirageMew2

What’s with PC players catapulting dogshit into stardom every other week?

I bought GPU to try this and my ears are fucking bleeding at the compression. Nevermind the garbage art design.

Saber

Gold Member
Maybe this'll force Gamefreak to actually put some effort in the next Pokemon game?

Doubt.
They still launch patchs slows as snail saying things like "we will launch patch...perhaps later this month? I dunno, stay tuned". They took ages to fix the bad egg glitch, a critical glitch that corrupts your save.

Meanwhile the fanbase is using and abusing of a clone glitch that let you obtain any pokemon as if you captured on the game.
Oh yeah and apparently joining forces to denounce this game for plagarism, because apparently Pokemon is the only one allowed to create monsters. Any other is a clone, even DQ that came first.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I dont even know why people see a problem in calling it gaas. Is it because they hate gaas or something.

The anti GAAS crowd are hanging on for dear life as the GAAS market continues growing. They want the market to be saturated and huge GAAS hits suggest its not.

Fabieter

Okay so no matter what the game is doing, what updates it gets. The only thing that it needs to be gaas is microtransactions. Just for future references.

Top Bottom