• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld has the highest concurrent player count of any paid game in the history of Steam

All this says to me is what a crappy job GameFreak has done. Doubly when you considered how much Dragon Quest Monster has sold.

This clearly indicates to me that Pokémon is even more valuable IP than COD, FIFA and Fortnite. In the realm of Mario and Minecraft.

Such bad management and gameplay design. Truly offensive.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Kinda get the feeling this out-of-nowhere over night popularity and sudden spread is really sketchy. It almost seems like someone is "gaming" the community. I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is a well founded push to sway the public mindshare.
It's almost like the game is fun, has competent multiplayer, is popular with streamers (because people are watching it on Twitch), and it's got incredible word of mouth. I guess the best way to "game" the community, is by making a game that people want to play and watch.

Gideon

pffft forced labor, they get off easy compared to my peons in warcraft 2 and 3 these asshats get to sleep and eat.

Your shit should be outside the boss arena if you died in it. Also queue up your arrows and go do something (like killing more of the smug bastards) and they should be done when you get back.
Oh yeah they were outside but I used so many arrows there were less than 20% left :(

It's almost like the game is fun, has competent multiplayer, is popular with streamers (because people are watching it on Twitch), and it's got incredible word of mouth. I guess the best way to "game" the community, is by making a game that people want to play and watch.
Would you honestly, suggest this word of mouth is genuinely organic?

I have some doubts about that. Especially, after checking out the developer's website. Not saying the game can't be fun though.

Wildebeest

Kinda get the feeling this out-of-nowhere over night popularity and sudden spread is really sketchy. It almost seems like someone is "gaming" the community. I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is a well founded push to sway the public mindshare.
You mean, it is really sketchy that there was not a well funded push using the methods and channels you expect.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

Lol, come on man.
It’s only like 3% of steam users.

KXVXII9X

As much as I don't like how this is blatantly copying a lot of design elements of actual Pokemon, it's highlighting my biggest problem with the Pokemon brand for a long time.

Yes the series can be "for kids", but it doesn't need to be mindnumbing for kids. The franchise has been around for decades now, and fans have grown up along side them. Keep appealing to kids, but maybe have something for the adults who grew up loving it also. This game shows there's a hunger for the franchise to evolve that The Pokemon Company, and Nintendo refuse to acknowledge.
Sometimes they seem to dip their toes into the idea. They did a little with Pokémon Legends Arceus and the Pokémon Concierge show is somewhat targeted to nearly everyone despite its overly cheery demeanor. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, and Colosseum/XD series were both challenging and had a more mature take but sold nowhere near the mainline games. It is a shame PMD2 had such bad press and low reviews as it was the best Pokémon game to date. There were actual stakes and emotions. You can't blame The Pokémon Company fully.

How on earth can such games be that successful? I'll never understand it. I'm so out of the loop.
Multiplayer- and streaming favorites are like a different dimension to me. When I was playing Resident Evil 2 remake, apparently in reality the hottest thing in gaming was weird shit like The Forest? Which I've only ever heard of through a casual friend.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

The game is addicting and fun, but it also has a TON of bugs and isn't anywhere near finished. For all the crap Pokémon Scarlet and Violet got, I had multiple game breaking glitches through PC GamePass and some mechanics wouldn't even work properly like raids. Outside of gameplay it does very little to add context to anything you are doing. It also has horrible performance on my PC no matter what setting I put it at. This is all on top of building the game off of popular ideas/IPs.

I think there is some form of bias and pass for this game that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else. People like their 'meme' games and it easy to generate viewership for streaming. Thankfully it is still in Early Access and can become more polished.

I think the game has ripped too much from Pokémon Legends Arceus and Ark to rightfully take all the credit.

twilo99

It’s funny because this exact overnight success scenario was brought up multiple times in court during the ABK deal drama

GHG

Gold Member
The game is addicting and fun, but it also has a TON of bugs and isn't anywhere near finished. For all the crap Pokémon Scarlet and Violet got, I had multiple game breaking glitches through PC GamePass and some mechanics wouldn't even work properly like raids. Outside of gameplay it does very little to add context to anything you are doing. It also has horrible performance on my PC no matter what setting I put it at. This is all on top of building the game off of popular ideas/IPs.

I think there is some form of bias and pass for this game that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else. People like their 'meme' games and it easy to generate viewership for streaming. Thankfully it is still in Early Access and can become more polished.

I think the game has ripped too much from Pokémon Legends Arceus and Ark to rightfully take all the credit.

The gamepass PC version is not the same as the one that most people are playing on Steam:

If you're on PC it might be worth giving the Steam version a go before making any judgements.

AALLx

Please educate us on how this "gaming the community" works, because I too would like to become an overnight successful game developer, and if there's apparently "one easy trick", then I would like to "game" the community as well.

So... I shouldn't try it to form an opinion and I should continue to spit out sentences without having any idea on what we are talking about ?
It was mostly just a joke post that came to my head as soon as I read that phrasing.

But there is also a third option you know, not giving them money and just not forming an opinion. You don't have to care and don't have to have an opinion on something just because it's at the top of the charts.

Fake

And these kinds of special idiots:

lmao.

Ask them if they ever played Pokemon Moon and Sun. You can litelary force pokemons there to force slave into mines.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
All this says to me is what a crappy job GameFreak has done. Doubly when you considered how much Dragon Quest Monster has sold.

This clearly indicates to me that Pokémon is even more valuable IP than COD, FIFA and Fortnite. In the realm of Mario and Minecraft.

Such bad management and gameplay design. Truly offensive.
Pokémon is more valuable than any of those IPs, including Mario and Minecraft.

The Gamepass version is an older build than those on PC. This is a classic issue that on Consoles, developers need approval from console owner to post patches, but they can update the game on PC instantly.

Also, the game is still on Early Access, hence it is only 30 dollars rather than full price.

Maybe. Still a data point we can't ignore while prognosticating. GamePass might not be the sales death sentence we thought it was.
And yet through it all, we don't actually have any Gamepass numbers. Too early to say it is a success when we only see it succeeding in paid PC sales.

StereoVsn

I am kind of surprised that Nintendo hasn’t hit them with some sort of a lawsuit yet. Aren’t Pokémon designs copyrighted?

I'll never understand the collective taste of steam users.
Simple, we buy what we want to play. This game is extremely customisable just the way PC gamers like it. This include the freedom to control not just the difficulty level, but even combat difficulty and the item drop rates.

Imagine that. Instead of forcing players to grind hours for 0.0001% drops, the game lets you decide if you want drops to come more easily. Because the game respects your decision to be either relax or have a challenge.

This is almost the OPPOSITE of a GAAS.

Top Bottom