• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld has the highest concurrent player count of any paid game in the history of Steam

MagnesD3

Cute animal babies, guns to kill, craft must build legos and is open world. Yep its hitting all the generic mainstream human populus checkmarks. If only it had a funny story to go with it I might care.

MS mandates strike again.
The game is borked on PC Gamepass. My daughter is playing on the Series X and it's working fine on the console.
I'm watching lets play from Steam and it's fine there too.
PC Gamepass just sitting here wondering why I'm paying Microsoft money for this afterthought version.

Kilau

Gold Member
The game is borked on PC Gamepass. My daughter is playing on the Series X and it's working fine on the console.
I'm watching lets play from Steam and it's fine there too.
PC Gamepass just sitting here wondering why I'm paying Microsoft money for this afterthought version.
The Reddit comments make it sound pretty much unplayable on PC game pass, the console is the same version but somehow better?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The gamepass PC version is not the same as the one that most people are playing on Steam:

If you're on PC it might be worth giving the Steam version a go before making any judgements.

It's alright on Gamepass Pc, didn't encounter any bugs in 2 hours. If you want to try it, go for it.

Chukhopops

The Reddit comments make it sound pretty much unplayable on PC game pass, the console is the same version but somehow better?
Based on the Reddit post most of the issues mentioned didn’t happen so far on console. I’m sure they exist but don’t seem too common.

There is a bug where the inverted X-axis and inverted y-axis settings are mislabeled in the settings, and I saw a couple glitches like pals falling through geometry. Nothing really game breaking for an EA game.

Biggest limitation is no dedicated servers for GP version.

Last edited:
Kinda get the feeling this out-of-nowhere over night popularity and sudden spread is really sketchy. It almost seems like someone is "gaming" the community. I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is a well founded push to sway the public mindshare.
You really think a company creating a copycat Pokémon game would do that? Just go on the internet and manipulate the market?

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Pokemon with guns, human trafficking and forced labor.
Futurama Buy GIF

Kilau

Gold Member
Based on the Reddit post most of the issues mentioned didn’t happen so far on console. I’m sure they exist but don’t seem too common.

There is a bug where the inverted X-axis and inverted y-axis settings are mislabeled in the settings, and I saw a couple glitches like pals falling through geometry. Nothing really game breaking for an EA game.

Biggest limitation is no dedicated servers for GP version.

Well I'm in no rush to try it, I'll wait for updates.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kinda get the feeling this out-of-nowhere over night popularity and sudden spread is really sketchy. It almost seems like someone is "gaming" the community. I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is a well founded push to sway the public mindshare.

It's called make a game that prioritizes a fun gameplay loop, with a "good enough" but still engaging aesthetic. Then, give out a bunch of free keys to streamers to try and watch them pop off. Very easy marketing strategy, as long as the base game is good.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

nashman

Level 12 on PC Gamepass. It very good and and have only had a few very minor bugs and couple of crashes. PC Gamepass definativly not as borked as some claim. Now dont mind me, just unlocked the assualt rifle for my monkey so going back to play!

PUBG did it first.. it was a paid game at launch not free.

Wait so that means this game isn't actually the highest concurrent for a paid game on Steam after all?

That's almost always the case when things go viral like this. But I'm just waiting for the eventual Nintendo lawsuit. Some of the stuff I've seen from this game is a little too close to Pokemon for Nintendo's lawyers to be happy.

Imagine the hysteria if millions of people suddenly couldn't hop online or play the game because the devs had to take it down to make changes or else. Or at the very least, they'd be forced to give refunds or rebates or something like that if they lost in court.

Ironically Game Pass players might have the safest means of playing the game; if it gets removed they only 'rented' the game out through the service. Also NGL potential litigation aside this was a good get for Xbox & Game Pass; well played Sarah Bond.

And these kinds of special idiots:

Weren't PETA found guilty of animal cruelty and abuse? They don't have much room to talk.

They also forced the WWF to rename itself to the WWE and I'll never forgive them for that.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
And PUBG hit over 3 million players at that time, goes to show how big of a monster that game was

I looked forward to my crew getting home and us playing that game every night
Good times. I don't think any game made me panic as much as PUBG did during the early days 😅

amigastar

How's the multiplayer part, is it forced or optional?
Might check the game out after all.
Edit: watching Videos on YT really makes me not wanna try the game. idk i just don't like it.

Last edited:

Bridges

The game is surprisingly good. I tend to fall off survival games pretty quick, but the Pokémon aspect has me hooked. Like others have said, it's not Pokémon with guns, it's ARK with Pokémon.

The game is buggy but it's not unplayable I'm in a crew that is mixed between Series X and PC Game Pass but have had few problems outside of a couple of crashes. (Launch day was tough to start a server but that's been fine ever since).

Highly derivative but also highly enjoyable

Reactions: Isa
As much as I don't like how this is blatantly copying a lot of design elements of actual Pokemon, it's highlighting my biggest problem with the Pokemon brand for a long time.

Yes the series can be "for kids", but it doesn't need to be mindnumbing for kids. The franchise has been around for decades now, and fans have grown up along side them. Keep appealing to kids, but maybe have something for the adults who grew up loving it also. This game shows there's a hunger for the franchise to evolve that The Pokemon Company, and Nintendo refuse to acknowledge.

The most "adult" Pokemon you're gonna get from Nintendo & Pokemon Company is a slightly edgier Megaman X or YuGiOh.

Just pray it's not a Shadow the Hedgehog.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Good times. I don't think any game made me panic as much as PUBG did during the early days 😅
Oh same here those very early circles getting small made me pucker up

Heck even when it first launch on Xbox I felt so out of water because I couldn't find buttons I wanted

Would just lay down near the end of games hoping no one could find me

Isa

I told my friends about this when it was announced and thought it might be up their alley(survival/crafting games, coop, pokemans). They as usual forgot and then a few days prior to launch I reminded them and now its all they play. Ridiculous. How dare they have fun. All GP between Series X and S. I had one crash during CC and then no problems since. Seriously like 5 guys are online and its all they play. One is on BG3 though.

Cool to see their success. I noticed a huge push from "content creators' on the Youtube roughly a 7-3 days prior to launch and it was heavy and successful marketing. "I played 30 hrs of Palworld and my thoughs are..." Haha get's 'em every time. Did way better by influencers than a normal commercial segment. Plus fans of certain game types are often on the lookout for a new thing to tide them over. My main friend group will find a new game and not stop playing until they wring it dry. Not that kind of gamer myself though.

amigastar

It just seems so strange to have all these elements in one game: Firearms, Pokemon, Survival, whacky graphics (not aesthetically pleasing)
It really doesn't speak to me.
But maybe i'll try it on game pass.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This just accidentally became a way bigger exclusive for Xbox than Starfield :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I've been playing on GamePass, the UI is kind of bugged, but I've been having a lot of fun with it anyway.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Supposedly the xbox patch is currently in cert

But, if you are really into this you're better buying the steam version as it's only 4 player co op and you can't have dedicated servers on xbox.

Still loads of fun just currently not as feature rich as the steam edition.

Last edited:

R3TRODYCE

I thought it was shit when I played it on Gamepass pc then I tried it on Steam and it’s really fun. I think this might have finally gave me the reason to not renew my Gamepass when it expires.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Level 12 on PC Gamepass. It very good and and have only had a few very minor bugs and couple of crashes. PC Gamepass definativly not as borked as some claim. Now dont mind me, just unlocked the assualt rifle for my monkey so going back to play!
I got a shiny one last night! It’s way stronger.

Top Bottom