• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parris Lilly - "I had multiple people at Xbox tell me there was so much more they could have shown and Gamescom is shaping up to be a big show too"

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Which were the purely CGI trailers at the show?

Which Devolver Developer do you think could pull off Fable and please think about your answer before typing.

And as for the studio that could do Fable, Double Fine. All games have amazing stories and character design are all distinguish from every game they ever made. Put the right money on it with great marketing and there you go

But there was a time this wasn't the case. It was years ago but they showed Scalebound with new gameplay during a stage show and brand new game reveals. If they still have much more left to show, have a actual show then! Perhaps it will be similar to a Xbox extended after show with hosts and new reveals?
it was the case in the era where Gamescom had much more weight than now. It was essentially a huge european gaming event. Now it is much less so due to the changes in the media consumption. More people will watch Xbox Showcase livestream than Gamescom livestream. Same with TGA.

Last edited:

night13x

At the end of the day - competition is good. If Xbox who got xboned, and whent Xbroke is finally starting to get their shit together, that only means well for the video game industry.

The question is....after these studios release another highly praised game, how long until uncle Phil shuts them down and closes them? lol

The Microsoft gaming era is here. Finally Microsoft are doing what they should have always done and be a software powerhouse that publishes everywhere. Without xbox hardware crippling them, they now have a huge audience to market and sell to.

DavidGzz

Coalition showed gears
Id software showed doom
Playground games showed fable

Their best Studios all showed something.
There cant be that much more unless were talking 2026+

Considering how long ago they teased the games coming this and next year it was probably hard for them not to tease games coming in '26-'30.

The Microsoft gaming era is here. Finally Microsoft are doing what they should have always done and be a software powerhouse that publishes everywhere. Without xbox hardware crippling them, they now have a huge audience to market and sell to.

I just find it sad that , when it comes to the hardware, Xbox had a lot of potential and it has come to a point where it is viewed as an anchor rather than a excellent alternative to PlayStation or Nintendo.

It should have been so much more than what it currently is. If people are a fan of something why would they not want it to be as good as it can be.

Last edited:
I just find it sad that , when it comes to the hardware, Xbox had a lot of potential and it has come to a point where it is viewed as an anchor rather than a excellent alternative to PlayStation or Nintendo.

It should have been so much more than what it currently is. If people are a fan of something why would they not want it to be as good as it can be.

This.

Xbox OG = amazeballs hardware for the time, catalogue wasn't as extensive as the PS2's but, then again, nothing was.
NG black = GOATest game

X360 = nice hardware, amazing catalogue of games.

XONE = hardware wise, yeah...
Pretty nice catalogue of exclusive games (Ryse, Quantum Break, Sunset overdrive, Gears 4 and 5, Halo 5).
XONE X = amazing hardware but it was already too late.

XSX = really nice hardware, but the games...almost non existent.

This is why I've been critical of MS, they always did nice things and they really did try but they completely fucked it up when it comes to the software.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

And as for the studio that could do Fable, Double Fine. All games have amazing stories and character design are all distinguish from every game they ever made. Put the right money on it with great marketing and there you go

State of Decay and Gears E-Day were not CG trailers.

Frwrd

What's the point you're trying to make here? Because noone forgot anything, Xbox have been shitting on players for years.
Fixed and highlighted for the slow.

Also, PS fans after the massive W that Xbox had with their showcase:

page hop GIF

Ozriel

M$FT

So you can only cite 3 games. Of which the State of Decay 3 trailer was a mix of CGI and gameplay, and Gears wasn’t ‘CGI’.

Fable development started in 2019. Double Fine were tied to Psychonauts 2 until end 2021 so they certainly couldn’t have worked on Fable.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

The show was almost 90 minutes long.
3 CGI trailers
One using all in game assets and Unreal Engine 5. Gears.
The other one an announce trailer from 3 fucking years ago. State of Decay.
And World of Warcraft that game from 20 years ago that everyone knows the gameplay people just love their CGI announcements.

And then you said any Devolver developer could have handled Fable the way Playground are.......when I ask you to mention said Devolver Developer, you mention DoubleFine........a studio owned by Xbox Games Studios so the game would be in effectively the exact same space except probably using Unreal Engine instead of Playgrounds branch of ForzaTech. (which has alot of interesting addition to it.)
But you'd still say it looks like a generic RPG from a Devolver Developer......................................................................while not actually knowing any Devolver Developers.

Am I high or are you high?
zEfiZbo.gif[

Last edited:

RickMasters

You would hope after 70 billion they would have something to show. Lets see how many of these games are worth anything.

That 70bn was just so they could get call of duty and own king.

I will say as a Xbox owning Gamepass subscriber….. we are certainly starting to see the benefits of the aquisition. I was one of the people that was sure they were gonna aquire ABK…. But I never expcected COD day one. The game will sell the usual gang buster on PlayStation and we see a switch 2 this year no doubt COD will sell tonnes on that too. They have GAAS games on every platform. They also happen to be the richest company in the world…. I’d say things are gonna work out just fine for them and Xbox in general.

Funny thing is, most of the games we saw at the show case were not the result of that 70bn dollar aquisition. But their other studios like, the initiative, obsidian, play ground, machine games and compulsion.

Im still salty about the closures of arkane sister studio and tango. How tasty would it have been to see that studio bounce back from redfall and tango announce a new game, at the showcase the other day. The showcase was amazing but those arkane second studio deserved their ‘redemption game’ and tango would have brought something extra icing to that already delicious cake.

Money well spent I’d say…. Just like how I feel about GPU, as it goes. They just need to deliver the goods. Starfield might even be a better game post Shattered skies DLC. Diablo is getting there, finally. And I don’t care what anybody says about avowed visuals, as a long time obsiadian fan, I’m absolutely looking forward to getting submerged into that game world. They always deliver. Machine games have done great things with Wolfenstein. I expect a solid indy game. People might hate the fact that south of midnight has a black girl lead but I don’t give a shit…. I saw a third person action game with distinct southern vibes and what appeared to be a some aoolid third person combat in a lush, looking missisipi- style setting. And COD looks like it had some serious upgrades to its movement system…. And doom: dark ages spike loudly clearly for itself.

It’s been impressive to watch. Inspite of all the negative commentary that MS attracts. a lot of which is their own doing to be honest though….. but they look a lot better now than they have in a long time . They have spent their money wisely, and positioned themselves to be not only the biggest publisher on their own platform, but the biggest publisher on their rivals platforms too. Only a company the size of MS can pull this off.

I fancy playing the Gears trilogy again, but would rather play remasters so I would just like to know if that Marcus Fenix collection is real or not. I presume its fake but confirmation would be nice

Fbh

Well it's good they instead focused on games coming in 2024 and 25 and a few teasers of stuff coming later (like Gears) instead of repeating the mistakes of the past and showing CG trailers for shit that's not coming for another 4-5 years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The games without years were Gears, SoD3 and Perfect Dark. Pretty much everything else was 24/25 I believe. I would assume those 3 titles don't have years because they are launching with the next console in late 2026 or early 2027.
There were several more like MGS, but from 3rd party so that on those publishers/developers.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The show was almost 90 minutes long.
3 CGI trailers
One using all in game assets and Unreal Engine 5. Gears.
The other one an announce trailer from 3 fucking years ago. State of Decay.
And World of Warcraft that game from 20 years ago that everyone knows the gameplay people just love their CGI announcements.

And then you said any Devolver developer could have handled Fable the way Playground are.......when I ask you to mention said Devolver Developer, you mention DoubleFine........a studio owned by Xbox Games Studios so the game would be in effectively the exact same space except probably using Unreal Engine instead of Playgrounds branch of ForzaTech. (which has alot of interesting addition to it.)
But you'd still say it looks like a generic RPG from a Devolver Developer......................................................................while not actually knowing any Devolver Developers.

Am I high or are you high?
zEfiZbo.gif[
TLDNR

so: you

miklonus

I couldn't believe how cool Xbox's showcase was. Xbox is a shit hole, who everyone was rightly thinking was going to go into the shitter, and yet, they come out with this great showcase. Just goes to show to never say "never". Amazing what you can do when you have interesting games that pique people's interest. I just hope that half these fuckin' things from Sony and Microsoft can live up to the/their promise.

pasterpl

Kojima game
outer worlds 2
everwild
forza horizon
project dragon
these are first coming to my mind, but MS got so many studios now that we probably don’t know half of what they are cooking

Killjoy-NL

Also, PS fans after the massive W that Xbox had with their showcase:
That's the funny part about all this:
Just when the Xbox fanbase finally gets a W, the console-wars are already over and the PS5 fanbase is standing there right besides them.

Maybe now they'll realize what some have been saying for a long time:
When MS steps down as a platform-holder, everybody wins. 😶

Frwrd

Just when the Xbox fanbase finally gets a W, the console-wars are already over and the PS5 fanbase is standing there right besides them.

Finally someone gets it 🤝

I know a lot of people that don't feel that way but then again I am friends with a ton of people invested into only Xbox and have no desire to own a Playstation

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Maybe the xbox fanbase, who own the console already are just excited by all the games they just saw at the Showcase?

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I know you're gloating, but you're missing how everyone wins. Because I can tell you I'm looking forward to the rumored future.

PS5 gamers have every reason to be pumped about the prospect of way more games coming.
Xbox gamers have every reason to be pumped about rumors of a handheld, open store PC system, and continued support for GP.

Exclusives are fun, you get a cool toy and other people don't have it. Everyone has experienced that. But it doesn't actually affect what I get in reality if other people don't get it as well. The things I'm looking forward to are new things I don't currently have, so it's a bonus for everyone.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Lisa Kudrow Friends GIF

Top Bottom