• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs Console in 2024... time to ditch PC?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Another melt telling everyone what they should do, why is it everyone these days has a 'channel' where they feel their opinion is important enough that everyone else should listen to them. I mean yeah if you're an expert in your field then its worthwhile, but why on earth people feel the need to do shit like this is beyond me, and on top of that who the fuck is the target audience? Play what you want, who needs some clown ass fool telling them what to do
Why read anyone’s posts on message boards? All people do is state their opinions in hopes people read them.

Just saying, that person made a video for others to watch. You don’t need to look much further than that. It’s his way of communicating his thoughts, just like NeoGAF is ours. Don’t take it so seriously. It’s just stupid video games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
With a 3080 and 3700X.

laugh-trying-not-to-laugh.gif
i dont have a 3700x. i dont do shit zen 2 CPUs

StereoVsn

Ok.....so if someone is trying to use a gaming PC exactly like a console, as you are, then sure, that can make steps for a few games harder. That is a rather specific use case. I think the vast majority of people understand that and just use a keyboard. That isn't difficult though. And fact of the matter is that keyboard/mouse, for many such as myself, are simply superior to controllers in many games like FPS and so not even having the option on console is a big negative. I basically don't buy first person games on console at all. But that is also a specific use case. For many, it isn't an issue.

I have a CS master degree as well, but we both know that provides zero benefits to simply using Windows and/or launching a game. Gaming on PC can be as simple or as complex as somone wants it to be.

Eh.....I've been a software developer working with non-tech people for over 30 years my man. How are you saying someone who knows how to use email, word processing, etc has "no idea' how to use Windows? Anyone with those basic skills can figure out how to click "play" in Steam.
Most people know how to do basic stuff, but even simple troubleshooting steps can become a chore.

“What’s an IP”, event viewer?, what do you mean by power settings, and so much more.

I thankfully haven’t had to do direct user support for ages, but still get dragged in peripherally when launching new applications/platforms and so on.

And even with devs sometimes it’s like banging head against the wall if you have to delve into security and permissions for say AWS or Azure.

That said, to Topher’s point, if using PC as a PC with KBM to get basic settings configured, vast majority of folks can easily play games, run productivity apps, hook up to TV, etc…. It’s when you try to optimize and streamline you kind of need to know what you are doing.

Hell, for an average user with an Nvidia card they can grab latest Nvidia app, hit optimize button and it will be pretty decent overall experience from game performance perspective.

Last edited:

Fredrik

TLDR; PC gaming is too expensive. Going back to console gaming.
It is. But console gaming without having to deal with downgrades means buying every Xbox and Playstation and all mid generation upgrades, and that’s $2000 per generation spanning 5-7 years if they’re $500 each. Still cheaper than a powerful PC but not as much as you may think.

As for myself I found out that I always wanted the Sony exclusives on PC for improvements and mods and I just got tired of double dipping. Still have Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo 7 and Demon’s Souls to buy but after that I have my whole PS5 library on PC. After that I can ignore both Xbox and Playstation unless I want to play backwards compatible titles which is rare.

SlimySnake

I’m taking the piss but yeah, 3080 looked great at the time of cross-gen games. Currently? Not so much. 10GB of VRAM+RT is a bad combo.
but thats the problem. that was a $850 investment that failed almost immediately despite me upgrading my CPU. i think star wars, avatar, callisto and now dragons dogma are the only games that i actually played with RT on this fucking thing. And i had to cap star wars at 40 fps.

And even now, the 4070 is roughly identical. the $800 4070 ti is only 20% more powerful so my only real option is a $1,000 4080. or a $1,649 4090 that will get me 100% more performance.

P.S I actually bought the $1,000 12 GB model of the 3080 but it was going well over 400 watts and causing massive crashes in several games. i actually had it replaced because it thought it was defective but the replacement had the same issue. It was obvious that there was something wrong with 3080 being pushed beyond its 320 watt tdp.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
but thats the problem. that was a $850 investment that failed almost immediately despite me upgrading my CPU. i think star wars, avatar, callisto and now dragons dogma are the only games that i actually played with RT on this fucking thing. And i had to cap star wars at 40 fps.

And even now, the 4070 is roughly identical. the $800 4070 ti is only 20% more powerful so my only real option is a $1,000 4080. or a $1,649 4090 that will get me 100% more performance.

P.S I actually bought the $1,000 12 GB model of the 3080 but it was going well over 400 watts and causing massive crashes in several games. i actually had it replaced because it thought it was defective but the replacement had the same issue. It was obvious that there was something wrong with 3080 being pushed beyond its 320 watt tdp.
Couldn't it be your PSU or another part of the system? Didn't really look into 3080 12GB as it's not all that common but I've never heard of such problems with it.

Ampere cards are notorious for their massive power spikes that can come close to doubling their regular wattage in some extreme cases. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if it was your issue.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don't understand what all "the fiddeling" people need to do on their PC's is.
The only "fiddeling" I need to do on my PC is the stuff I don't NEED to do. (Add mods, emulators etc) and even that stuff is very straight forward, even though i'm by no means a PC expert.

The other stuff, (updates etc) is just a click or fully automatic. Just as easy as doing the same stuff on a console.
Default fan curves made my PC sound like a vacuum cleaner.
After ”fiddeling” it’s more silent than my PS5.

And default settings made it impossible to take screen shots in Steam without a keyboard.
After ”fiddeling” I just press the share button on the Series controller.

Default sound settings only gave me stereo audio.
After ”fiddeling” I have DTS and Atmos sound.

There is more, nothing complicated I guess but not exactly plug and play like on console. Plus, building the thing was an adventure on it’s own.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm mostly on PS5 these days due primarily to the seemingly endless performance issues on PC, namely stutter. For the stuff that I want to play (ie: Japanese games and indies), it's typically a more consistent experience on consoles that loses nothing over the PC version. That said, genres like FPS or anything strategy focused? That's still almost always something I'll play on PC.

SlimySnake

Couldn't it be your PSU or another part of the system? Didn't really look into 3080 12GB as it's not all that common but I've never heard of such problems with it.

Ampere cards are notorious for their massive power spikes that can come close to doubling their regular wattage in some extreme cases. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if it was your issue.
yeah, i did a lot of trouble shooting back then here on gaf. it was probably that.

JimboJones

I need to change the buttons for controller because it keeps using Xbox buttons for 8BitDo Ultimate (it's Switch config), that shit is annoying.
Can't you set up a controller scheme in the 8bitdo ultimate software?
I have the sn30pro+ and set up a profile for swapping the dpad and left analogue stick (links awakening on switch didn't allow the use of the dpad).
You press the two sticks in to activate and deactivate the profile although I think some models have a hardware switch for separate profiles.

MikeM

I don't understand what all "the fiddeling" people need to do on their PC's is.
The only "fiddeling" I need to do on my PC is the stuff I don't NEED to do. (Add mods, emulators etc) and even that stuff is very straight forward, even though i'm by no means a PC expert.

The other stuff, (updates etc) is just a click or fully automatic. Just as easy as doing the same stuff on a console.

My only time tinkering is with older games. I bought MG: Rising and I can’t get that shit to work properly in 4k. Also, one of the older Metro games is a complete stutter fest on my PC and is completely unplayable. Both those games work on console properly 😥

Topher

Gold Member
Most people know how to do basic stuff, but even simple troubleshooting steps can become a chore.

“What’s an IP”, event viewer?, what do you mean by power settings, and so much more.

I thankfully haven’t had to do direct user support for ages, but still get dragged in peripherally when launching new applications/platforms and so on.

And even with devs sometimes it’s like banging head against the wall if you have to delve into security and permissions for say AWS or Azure.

That said, to Topher’s point, if using PC as a PC with KBM to get basic settings configured, vast majority of folks can easily play games, run productivity apps, hook up to TV, etc…. It’s when you try to optimize and streamline you kind of need to know what you are doing.

Hell, for an average user with an Nvidia card they can grab latest Nvidia app, hit optimize button and it will be pretty decent overall experience from game performance perspective.

Agree. I'd say consoles are less prone to having issues due to being single purpose than PC. I do think probems with PCs are probably lower than they have ever been primarily due to better security, but when there are issues then often times people will have to consult experts. Of course, that's the case with all PC, not just gaming. Best Buy's "geek squad" exists for this very reason. But to read some comments on this forum and elsewhere, you would think troubleshooting and maintenance in Windows is a daily occurrence. Yeah, the most "fiddleing" I do is optimizing games or installing mods. But that is completely optional. Most PC gamers play at 1080p so they are not nearly as fussy about visuals as some seem to believe.

No.. and NO.....

I mainly use console and portables anymore but have my gaming pc next to my work laptop and monitors so I can play turn based or city builders between phone calls at work.
I work from home so I have that privilege.

Off work , I barely if ever play on my pc, why? I am at the desk sitting all day. In my 40s its not good for the spine to be sitting that long.
I go excerise and walk miles a day for balance of sitting all day .

When I play games on my off hours its mainly on Switch, PS5, XBX, and steam deck, sometimes android in car rides.

I also have a steam link, i use for pc play on the tv. It will hitch once and then its golden for streaming.

PC has so much benefits for gaming, good vr, mods, roguelikes and game engines, and programing tools, you can make your own games.
The community is great on pc. You won't find tips and tricks on console games as easily as you will for pc games on steam or gog forums.

I love the exclusives that come out on pc first, or early access. Currently waiting impatiently for Manor Lords.

All systems are great and have their use. Shit also the mini consoles. ps1 classic, tg16 mini, nes mini, love em.

Part of the joy of gaming on pc is tinkering with settings. For the people here bitching about that, you are not real pc gamers. /s Just saying. PC gamers love chaning settings. Yeah I play on 1080p (on console too), but I mess with graphics settings all the time. Console people mainly fuss about resolution not AA levels, AF levels, shader model, etc.... I like having options. It was nice having that with the ps5 and xbox x with the performance modes, but more settings would be nice there too. I don't think some people want more options. Kinda like Apple Mac users/gamers, they just want basics , limited selection, one store, and to be told what they can do. lol...

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Can't you set up a controller scheme in the 8bitdo ultimate software?
I have the sn30pro+ and set up a profile for swapping the dpad and left analogue stick (links awakening on switch didn't allow the use of the dpad).
You press the two sticks in to activate and deactivate the profile although I think some models have a hardware switch for separate profiles.
I messed around with it before but I can't remember if it did anything. I'm not used to using Xbox layout so it's confusing as F when the on screen doesn't match the controller :messenger_weary:
I've noticed "Enable Steam input for Switch Pro controllers" was disabled, maybe that'll sort it out for Steam now that it's enabled, unless it still thinks it's a Xbox controller.
Edit: I think it's kinda working now on Steam at least (Epic and GoG probably not), clicked Use Nintendo button layout and changed device input.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
i recently downloaded the Crisis remastered collection onto my RTX4070 laptop to check it out over lunchtime and after 5mins give up, press this key to do that, this key to this, hold this key to walk whilst tapping this key to sprint... Da fuk am I meant to remember let alone align my fingers to all these keys whilst being shot at and having to move, I only have so many, so I eventually give up, the old quake3 days muscle memory has completely left me, just give me a couch and controller, besides I ain't missing much

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Topher

Gold Member
i recently downloaded the Crisis remastered collection onto my RTX4070 laptop to check it out over lunchtime and after 5mins give up, press this key to do that, this key to this, hold this key to walk whilst tapping this key to sprint... Da fuk am I meant to remember let alone align my fingers to all these keys whilst being shot at and having to move, I only have so many, so I eventually give up, the old quake3 days muscle memory has completely left me, just give me a couch and controller, besides I ain't missing much

The game didn't support using a controller?

Its literately wasd for movement, sometimes q and e to lean, shift to run, and control or c to crouch. F is usually activate or confirm. R is reload. 1-10 is weapon selection or skills. Its not rocket science and hasn't really changed since 2002. Before that it was a shit show with using arrow kety or jkl; etc...

Plus you can always use a controller on pc too. Why do you have a 4070 (isn't that $1000+) gpu and don't play pc games?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I use a Dualsense on my laptop. It works perfectly. I can't be doing with mouse and keyboard either. Luckily, most games on PC are fine with a controller these days - even stuff like Baldur's Gate 3.

I stick the laptop on a cooling pad under the TV, and plug it in via HDMI. It essentially becomes just like having another console. One I can also do all my work on :)

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Fun fact: PS5 doesn't even have a basic web browser.
Even the Xbox has a full fledged Edge.

That is 1 decision I can't wrap my head around. The lack of a basic browser for PS5. Even the PS4 had one.
It makes a console much more versatile. I used it on PS4 and Xbox to lookup guides while gaming. The omission on PS5 was a real wtf moment for me.

Out of all the device most people have access to (Cellphone, tablets, pc, etc) Why would you want to use your ps5 to browse the internet?

It seems like the worst device for the purpose.

SoloCamo

Its literately wasd for movement, sometimes q and e to lean, shift to run, and control or c to crouch. F is usually activate or confirm. R is reload. 1-10 is weapon selection or skills. Its not rocket science and hasn't really changed since 2002. Before that it was a shit show with using arrow kety or jkl; etc...

Plus you can always use a controller on pc too. Why do you have a 4070 (isn't that $1000+) gpu and don't play pc games?

$600 or so for a 4070. Regardless, gpu's have other uses outside of gaming.

Anyways, consoles really don't offer anything to me at this point. Nintendo is the only console I bother with because the other consoles really don't offer unique experiences. With my backlog I don't need to buy day one and most things don't stay exclusive anyways so it's moot.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Probably one of the more overstated negatives about PC that are parroted by folks who really don't know any better. Consoles are simpler. There is no doubt about that, but I don't understand why people need to embellish on that and pretend that PC gaming is such a constant chore. It just isn't.

Talking points from a bygone era that people who have never used a gaming PC think are still real things. I’m always on gamespy downloading patches! My jazz drive is full! I’m cleaning out my mouse ball constantly! ICQ notifications make my games crash! I ran out of installs because of Starforce!

It%27s_All_So_Tiresome.jpg

hinch7

$600 or so for a 4070.

Regardless, gpu's have other uses outside of gaming.
He/she's got a 4070M which is a mobile GPU. Not really the same thing. Its using a lower tier silicon (AD106 vs 104) and performs more akin to a desktop 3060 12GB. Regardless, controller support is fine on PC in most current games.

Last edited:

Mithos

Default sound settings only gave me stereo audio.
After ”fiddeling” I have DTS and Atmos sound.

Confession time, I have never had surround sound on/from a PC ever.
Mostly because the only inputs my receiver have for surround sound is coax and toslink.

Topher

Gold Member
Talking points from a bygone era that people who have never used a gaming PC think are still real things. I’m always on gamespy downloading patches! My jazz drive is full! I’m cleaning out my mouse ball constantly! ICQ notifications make my games crash! I ran out of installs because of Starforce!

It really sucks. All I do is delete emails from Nigeria princes in AOL. Netscape Navigator takes forever to load. Probably because of all the viruses I got downloading porn off of Kazaa!

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

Minesweeper runs great though

Last edited:
I ditched xbox for the first time this gen because of their day one ports. Figured i should invest in PC instead and overall id say it was a good decision.

If sony does the same, it would be a great decision.

That said, last year PC gaming broke me. I got shades of the PS2 and early PS3 era ports where everything shipped broken and PC gaming was just a pain in the ass. Not that console gaming is any better when it comes to 60 fps games, but i specifically built my pc for ray tracing at 60 fps and its been a complete disaster save for Avatar.

Right now i have two options. Get the PS5 Pro later this year for $600 for spend $1000 on a PC GPU 50% more powerful. Problem is that my CPU is a bottleneck in most RT games so while i might be able to brute force some games, i will need to upgrade my CPU as well. Problem with my CPU upgrade is that i will need to get a new mobo because all the latest intel CPUs use a different mobo. If i switch to AMD that means getting a new AIO as well. That pushes me to $1,700. for 50% more performance. Fuck that.

Sony says they can add RT to games that had missing RT effects in 60 fps modes. I am ok with that. Yes, the ps5 pro at best will be equivalent to a 3080 and at worst a 3070, but its not like im playing most games with RT on anyway.

TLDR; PC gaming is too expensive. Going back to console gaming.
This is where I’m at. I had planned on buying a top of the line $3000 PC later this year due to us being back down to 720/900p for some console performance modes but it’s going to be so much easier to just buy a PS5 Pro for $600 and get higher resolution 60fps modes without the crazy money and hoops you have to jump through to get non perceptive resolution differences and rt effects on PC (when you’re sitting much further from your display in a living room setting), I’d also have to rebuy my entire library of games in my backlog which would be another $1000 😂

Last edited:

Fredrik

Mostly because the only inputs my receiver have for surround sound is coax and toslink.
Confession time I had no idea it could work. My mb have no optical out and the output for surround channels is done by using mic and headphones jack and what not. I just went nope on all that. Then it turned out you could send everything over HDMI through the graphics card just like on consoles, which was new to me, I thought the graphics card only dealed with the video. I had to go through a guide to enable it though, was definitely more steps than it should’ve been!

S0ULZB0URNE

Pff!
oXccv8b.jpg

You can also buy the headphone license for Dolby Atmos and DTS-X.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The time to ditch may have been some years ago as it seemed impossible to get a decent upgrade for sensible prices, now this gen of software is both entrenched in its requirements yet barely started you can get (mid range) hardware that effortlessly runs everything without breaking the bank.

Which is another part of the beauty of PC gaming, you have countless games across many generations, platforms and requirements so you don't have to upgrade whenever the next PS/box launch (after all consoles don't all sell day one either), you can upgrade later for less money and keep up.

I hope to get a new build after (too much work during) summer. While I delayed my upgrade too much (my CPU is a dozen years old model and GPU from 2016) only a few games don't play nice, like DD2 and Granblue Relink (just because of the AVX2 requirement). Even FW runs well enough.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Ditched the PC years ago (glory 97-2008 years), and have been console only since the Xbox 360 days. No need to go back to hitching, stuttering and driver issues!

Kerotan

If you're not a nerd console is the place to be. The only time I played on pc was when I was a teenager and my dad had a good pc setup for his work m I couldn't be fucking bothered with the hassle. I'm too lazy to even change HDD/SDD's on my consoles.

Making UI navigation much slower and more limited?
Majority people do not care about limitations when it comes to playing games. That's why they also say consoles are better because the interface just works. I'm not saying it's going to replace the typical desktop but when it comes to people do not care about the desktop, it will help more people transition from consoles to PCS.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Majority people do not care about limitations when it comes to playing games. That's why they also say consoles are better because the interface just works. I'm not saying it's going to replace the typical desktop but when it comes to people do not care about the desktop, it will help more people transition from consoles to PCS.
Interface on consoles just works because we can't do "anything" with it. Steam Big Picture already did that but we will always need mouse and/or keyboard for something.

Top Bottom