• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Players are complaining about visual problems in the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth demo

Draugoth

Gold Member
jogadores-estao-reclamando-de-problemas-visuais-na-demo-de-final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-103719.png

According to players, most of these problems occur mainly when the game has been selected to run in performance mode, which offers 60 FPS.

In this mode, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth's resolution drops drastically in order for the game to maintain its frame rate (60 FPS). Many believed that the visual problems were due to the low resolution, but it seems that the problem is more serious than it seems, according to John Linneman of Digital Foundry.

BU6zeON.jpeg
IaHhEk9.jpeg
F5wXcHs.jpeg
5g7Surg.jpeg

h3NCBz3.jpeg
1RJXSLA.png

Skifi28

1440p is a great resolution for performance mode and the framerate is very stable. It's everything else that's fucked.

cormack12

Gold Member
If res is that high, it gives me hope they will fix it. But low poly assets as well as blurry textures on a 50gb demo is not good.

I have too much to.play so this will not be a day 1 for me anyway. I just hope they iron out the issues before I buy.

Facism

Whether you pick graphics or performance, the texturing and messy geometry is still amateur as fuck. Wouldn't look out of place on ps4

Fabieter

Ffs

This is the shit I don't want to hear. Hopefully it's fixed for launch but ff xvi was never fixed.

I might wait the 3 months for the PC version

It's ff xvi turn before they do ff vii rebirth. Xvi had six month exclusivity but its still not on pc.

Elios83

Oh, I thought it was coming in may?

Must have got confused
Nope that's the end of the exclusivity contract with Sony, not when Square Enix will be ready to release the game elsewhere which looking at what happened with both FF7R and FFXVI won't be soon.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Whether you pick graphics or performance, the texturing and messy geometry is still amateur as fuck. Wouldn't look out of place on ps4

Bro, don't fucking diss the PS4 like that lol. PS4 had tons of massive open world games with higher quality assets.

This is a Square development pipeline issue. You'd think they'd have a hang of Unreal 4 after so many years by now.

Maybe the demo build is old cuz John also pointed out this.

We all said the same thing last year about Forspoken's demo that came out a month before its release, but that was also a chunk from the final game.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Really so bad? I downloaded the demo, but since I haven't finished F16 yet, I didn't get around to it.

Fabieter

I wouldn't be shocked if the build of the demo is older. Imo demos more often than not aint good at actually selling the game. It would be good idea for sqaure to stop doing them.

Fbh

If they can fix the awful blurriness in the performance mode I honestly don't care about the rest.

John from digital foundry said it's actually running at 1440p but the post processing is fucked. Hopefully they can get it sorted out by launch

Fabieter

If they can fix the awful blurriness in the performance mode I honestly don't care about the rest.

John from digital foundry said it's actually running at 1440p but the post processing is fucked. Hopefully they can get it sorted out by launch

This! People are overreacting because its soo cool to shit ok final fantasy these days!

Madflavor

I'll repeat what I said in another thread, but given the fact they made Rebirth in 4 years, and the sheer scale and amount of content in the game, I don't think any of this is surprising at all. Getting this game looking truly next gen and polishing it up as best as possible, realistically would've taken them at least a couple more years. They probably made the very deliberate decision to not spend 6-7 years on each new entry of this trilogy, and cut some corners. Otherwise you'd be looking at 15-20 years total for the development and release of the VII Remake Trilogy.

That said, I think the launch version of the game will be improved in *some* capacity. The demo is very likely an older builder because that's usually just how it works, and as is usually the case there will likely be a Day 1 patch also. There's probably a few different versions to the game between Launch and this Demo Build. That being said I'm not expecting a night and day difference, and neither should you.

Last edited:

Skifi28

We all said the same thing last year about Forspoken's demo that came out a month before its release, but that was also a chunk from the final game.
Image quality in performance mode is a likely improvement since it's not a resolution issue. Everything else.... Yeah, I don't think so. At least the gameplay was solid, I guess.

Last edited:
The illumination is also strange, with some nuclear brightness in the sky when you place the character at the entrance of any building. This happened in the previous game too.

Anyway, the art direction is amazing and makes up for these minor issues. Localization in other languages is a more serious matter, it's about time Square and other Japanese developers ask for serious explanations of what the fuck translators are doing.

JimboJones

Noticed the image quality straight away, quite blurry on performance mode, ghosting from upscaling is pretty apparent.
Still 60fps is the way to go, 30 seemed quite stuttery even for a 30fps game but that could just the effect of switching back and forth from 60 😅 but I did look sharper.
Pick your poison I guess!

Fabieter

The illumination is also strange, with some nuclear brightness in the sky when you place the character at the entrance of any building. This happened in the previous game too.

Anyway, the art direction is amazing and makes up for these minor issues. Localization in other languages is a more serious matter, it's about time Square and other Japanese developers ask for serious explanations of what the fuck translators are doing.

They should just go on with the Rockstar route of not dub their games at all.

adamsapple

Image quality in performance mode is a likely improvement since it's not a resolution problem. Everything else.... Yeah, I don't think so. At least the gameplay was solid, I guess.

John is saying 1440p, but NXGamer's tweet is saying 1080p (well, he says '1080p is not the problem', likely in reference to the low resolution not being the only problem)

Post process is done in half/quarter resolutions as a resource saving measure, you can't tell me Square couldn't push more out of the hardware using UE4 than this ... if that's the case, maybe they should have stuck to Luminous.

Minsc

Gold Member
You know what, I really don't give a shit about these visual errors.

The fact that the game actually fucking runs at 60fps and not 20fps like in FFXVI's performance mode is all that matters.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Picks the mode that favours visual fidelity for performance then complains about the drop in resolution... Fucking spare me!

Its also a demo, which should be an opportunity to talk about the game not just the graphics, and yet here we are again.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also screw the PS5. For the console that was supposed to be the next coming of Christ with its hardware that made PCs look like a waste of money it aged the same as any other console. A few years in to its life and already struggling on too many games.

This shit is just a more expensive Switch.

Skifi28

Also screw the PS5. For the console that was supposed to be the next coming of Christ with its hardware that made PCs look like a waste of money it aged the same as any other console. A few years in to its life and already struggling on too many games.

This shit is just a more expensive Switch.
There are so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.

adamsapple

They're also not using a 4K UI in the Graphics mode. Some real amateur hour shit from Square.

xion4360

it definitely has some poor lighting and textures in spots but overall I think its very attractive considering the size and scope of the game, and looks better than the first game. Especially with geometry and foliage.

IMO the weak spots are the trees animate very robotically and small foliage doesnt react at all unlike the first trailer, and some of the mid and far field detail is rather poor. There's also quite a bit of pop-in
I think the character models looks very nice and generally it looks very nice. for part 3 they should use UE5 nanite to fix the pop in issues and have better details. maybe lumen for lighting if they can manage it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A day 1 AAA Square game that's a technical mess? Color me shocked! SHOCKED, I tell you!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Just confirms my opinion that demos simply aren't worth the hassle.

No matter how many times the dev or publisher stresses that a demo is likely to contain bugs and visual imperfections not present in the final release, too many noisy individuals completely ignore this very important point and go chicken little on the internet, undermining the additional effort.

Top Bottom