• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s first Remote Play dedicated device, PlayStation Portal remote player, to launch later this year at $199.99

Just_one

dean ambrose wwe GIF

Roufianos

DS is $79
DS: Edge is $200

Anyone who thought this would be less than $200 needs their heads checked.
DualSense is $70, and no doubt a lot cheaper to produce.

I'm no expert on the costs of producing mini 1080p screens, but the fact you can buy a 30+ inch TV for $130 makes this look like a rip-off.

Obviously, Sony wants to make a profit on this thing, but if they couldn't find a competitive price, then why did they even produce it in the first place? It makes the Switch look like a bargain. Dead on arrival, no doubt.

Madjaba

That IGN review is really wrong about price comparison regarding the Switch, yes PS Portal is less expensive but you have to buy a PS5 in order for it to even function.

So you have to compare the Switch to the PS Portal + PS5 combo and not only the Portal...

We are near 650€ total for nothing really ground breaking... No streaming PS Plus possibility is a deal breaker to me.

Chukhopops

Too much latency, since it would have to go through the console before it goes though to the PSnow server. Thats why Stadia's controller had wifi built in, to reduce input latency.
I don’t see why it’d need to connect to the console to go through to the PSNow server. The Logitech one just connects to the streaming server via WiFi.

I’m curious if new games will be adapting the interface size? Some games would be absolutely unplayable on a small screen if interface isn’t adapted (if you’ve played Star Ocean Divine Force you know what I mean).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Aenima

Fair price but not interested.
If i can jailbreak it and run android games on it, would be more interested, but i dont expect it to have a good chip or enough memory inside to run the more demanding android games as well.

Its a very niche product that it will be usefull for some ppl, its not for me though.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Thought it would be expensive to be honest, however I still think it's a very niche and flex product nontheless.

Last edited:
This is Sony branded, you just don't understand.
200 is a steal!
As is the backbone One Controller, which is naturally also cheaper, cause no extra screen. It, or rather the phone, just lacks a PS Plus App as well because Sony has stupid reasons to make it hard to use and only allows streaming to PS4, 5 and PC. No Linux (and I think apple)

Any modern wifi controller should be able to handle any streaming quite nicely. Lag over internet should be of course more, but that's a problem not really solved by just omitting that possibility. One and the same game on my PS4 compared to the PS5 or my PC is substantially worse, since its controller is probably one or two gens older. At least not supporting wifi6 or whatever it is called.

Releasing it as a limited useful wii-too controller is just odd to me.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

No bluetooth WHAT THE FUCK, the product designer of this should be kicked in the nuts. Playstation Link? dude are these guys smoking crack?

AmuroChan

99 is too much for this when controllers alone are like 70? Really?

Yea, makes no sense. The Backbone is $99 and that's just the controller that clips to your phone.

Sony knows this is a niche product. They're not trying to sell 100 million of these. This is a complementary accessory.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i really dont see a point of the portal device, like....i use it when im taking a dump?
Im in my home, why would i walk around and not playing games in my room?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I cannot believe the earbuds are the same cost as the Portal.

I did think the Portal price would be higher though.
Also, I am assuming the earbuds can connect to the portal through a custom wifi signal then? Or can you not use the earbuds with the Portal?

**EDIT**
I took two seconds to read the article. Custom wifi connection confirmed and the headphones appear to have some quality drivers.

In on all three day 1!

Last edited:

ViolentP

I originally wanted to pick one up as it seems perfect for FF Pixel Remaster with a newborn in the house. But frankly, I'm spoiled on OLED.

It just doesn’t look like an appealing product, to me. But if you really really want to play PS5 games remotely, I guess this thing might be up your alley.

Honestly I don’t see it doing real well.

TrebleShot

Absolutely stunning to see everyone scramble for excuses now it’s sub 200 ,

Day one

The headsets are planar magnetic too which is an awesome surprise

I really don't think any of you have considered the potential for this device.

Sony are catering to a very niche market. Not a new market by any stretch, but one that is rarely spoken about.

*Toilet Gaming*

Who hasn't wanted to play PS5 on the Toilet? Let's face it, remote play to a smart phone is okay but controls are terrible! Okay sure you can connect the dual sense to your phone, but that's even more awkward on the Toilet.

I really think Sony have muddied the waters here, and if marketed correctly, made a product that's a royal flush

DosGamer

The more I think about it, the more I think this might be a good product for me. I love my PS5 and I have my man cave. There are times I like to go in to my room and have my gaming time to myself, but .... there are also times when I want to be in the living room with my wife and kid in close proximity. I can game and they can watch TV. Its a win win and 200 bucks isnt really that bad. I mean damn the elite controller costs more than that if I remember correctly.

Also, would love to take to the beach and play my PS5 without having to haul my PS5. Fucking win!

PlayStation Portal can not play streamed games? What is the fucking point? Also, that thing is fucking ugly, all they have to do is a Bigger PS Vita.

giphy.gif

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I want it but that's not an ideal price.

Wonder how the latency compares to normal remote play.
This will be the true determine factor for me. It has to be better on Wi-Fi around the house than remote play is. Not paying 200 ruppes for what I can do now with an iPad

diffusionx

Gold Member
Can you watch Netflix on your PS5 while you play this? Something tells me no, but it would be helpful in establishing the console as the “center of your living room” thing.

Anyway it looks hideous but I do think that it’s a smart design in that it obviously states its purpose.

Top Bottom