• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s first Remote Play dedicated device, PlayStation Portal remote player, to launch later this year at $199.99

$200 is a fine price for this type of device, but the bigger question is whether or not it allows you to connect to other services like Xbox Cloud Gaming / GeForce Now / Luna / etc..

Because if it doesn't it's DOA in my opinion.

VitoNotVito

$200 is a fine price for this type of device, but the bigger question is whether or not it allows you to connect to other services like Xbox Cloud Gaming / GeForce Now / Luna / etc..

Because if it doesn't it's DOA in my opinion.
If you can run Android on you could do pretty much anything

Aenima

i really dont see a point of the portal device, like....i use it when im taking a dump?
Im in my home, why would i walk around and not playing games in my room?
You can use it anywhere, u dont need to be in ur room, ur house or even the same network. You just need to leave ur PS5 in standby and can use it if you travel. The problem will always be how good or bad the conection is.

El Muerto

Sony, c'mon now. PSP was great, the Vita was even better, and now this??? This should of have had an HDMI out, bluetooth, maybe a dock. And it should of included a psp and vita emulator built in along with a PS store so we can download and play games we purchased for those systems. $200 for a tablet just to stream our PS5 in home and no cloud play is ridiculous.

My DualSense controllers only last around 12 months tops due to analogue stick drift, if these are not replaceable on this thing Sony can fuck right off. Shelling out £70 for replacement controllers is bad enough already.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
$200

Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

I don't get it. It's a good price. Surely you weren't expecting $99.

VitoNotVito

Sony, c'mon now. PSP was great, the Vita was even better, and now this??? This should of have had an HDMI out, bluetooth, maybe a dock. And it should of included a psp and vita emulator built in along with a PS store so we can download and play games we purchased for those systems. $200 for a tablet just to stream our PS5 in home and no cloud play is ridiculous.
It should also give a head.
🤦

Sethbacca

If I hadn't already traded my Series S in with that recent deal for a 2nd PS5 I'd totally have considered this for my bedroom. I don't know that I'd have much use for it otherwise at this point.

Chastten

Banned
I'll never be able to take people serious anymore who game on PlayStation but complain about the 'childish' look of the Switch. Both this thing and the PS5 as well as it's controller, looks like what a 9 year old in 1998 decided looked like 'the future'.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If you can run Android on you could do pretty much anything
so why not buy an actual android tablet which comes with android preinstalled
AYN Odin exists, much more powerful processor that can emulate up to PS2 for 200 dollars.... and of course, you can stream on it. This is likely a cheap chinese android tablet running a shit processor from years ago, won't compare to phones in the same price range

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
You can use it anywhere, u dont need to be in ur room, ur house or even the same network. You just need to leave ur PS5 in standby and can use it if you travel. The problem will always be how good or bad the conection is.
so its basically PSAPP : |

poodaddy

I just tried PS Remote Play on a trip because a friend was saying it doesn't work at all. It worked really well. I was playing FF14 in a different state last week on 5G.
I get 300 down on my home Internet and the PS5 says my internet's too slow to stream games, won't even try to launch games, where as I stream Gamepass games perfectly with the occasional minor hitch on Series X and PC. I'm in Maine, when I lived in WA PSPlus streaming would actually launch but it wasn't great.

I'm glad it works well for you, but for many people, myself included, it's a really subpar service. I haven't tried it on PC though, I should do that before passing too much judgement.

ranmafan

Again those of us in Japan get the worst end of the price with it being around ¥30000. That’s just too much for what type of device it is. The exchange rate of the yen really is making buying any new video game related item so hard right now.

This thing is so fucking dumb. $200 for beeg dualsense and screen. Jim Ryan's Sony has this bizarre attraction to being some kind of premium Apple-like brand for gaming, without understanding why people put up with Apple's higher prices to begin with (value). This is a niche device at a high price. The exact same outcome can be had by connecting your existing dualsense to a phone or tablet.

Fbh

Price is lower than I expected.
I wonder if this has some tech to make it work better than remote play on a Phone? Or will it be identical? Because one problem of these streaming devices is that you never really know how well it will work on your setup until you try it.
These previews will all say it works fine because they are trying it under ideal conditions set up by Sony.

Also no Bluetooth sucks

NeonDelta

Doa, spend the 200 on an android tablet and connect a dual sense to it. Atleast that way you can connect Bluetooth headphones and it will have better battery life.

I'm in Day 1. I wanted it to be $200 or less and have some kind of solution for the lack of a touchpad, cause I don't want something without all the standard buttons.

I even have the backbone and an ipad/controller setup and they just suck. One has a screen too small with no dualsense features, and the other is too much of a hassle to carry around easily.

This is perfect for me in a 3 story house with a 1 year old.

KXVXII9X

For people who do not have a PS5 like me, I feel like an Asus Rog Ally would be a better sell as they would be around the same price when totaled together. The Rog Ally can play PlayStation games natively AND function as a computer and media device. It can also remote play and stream as well.

I feel like the WiiU gamepad was a much better value packaged in while also adding functionality to the games in interesting ways like in ZombiU. The PSP and Vita also did Remote Play while also having native games with good battery life. I feel like this device is Sony regressing.

VitoNotVito

so why not buy an actual android tablet which comes with android preinstalled
AYN Odin exists, much more powerful processor that can emulate up to PS2 for 200 dollars.... and of course, you can stream on it. This is likely a cheap chinese android tablet running a shit processor from years ago, won't compare to phones in the same price range
6 inch Vs 8 inch
Dualsense Vs shitty controls
$200 option with Mediatek chip can't run shit...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
6 inch Vs 8 inch
Dualsense Vs shitty controls
$200 option with Mediatek chip can't run shit...
8 inch screen that you can't take outside of your home. Odin wins.

This playstation handheld is literally meant for nothing but streaming. The chip inside it is almost certainly bargain bin garbage.

Aenima

This playstation handheld is literally meant for nothing but streaming. The chip inside it is almost certainly bargain bin garbage.
You can take it anywhere. Why are ppl still thinking that for remote play you need to be near your console?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So it is only streams but does not support Sony's streaming service. That sounds super clever.

I would have thought about if it would be a "proper" streaming device, and maybe have native PSP/Vita support. But streaming from my PS5 only? not even PS4 also. Is there a single advantage against any smartphone of the last 5 years, most people already have, that just needs to be paired with a PS5 controller, so max 70 bucks investment if not using your regular controller?

What if I don't want to use my phone to play my PS5 games? Personally, it's one of the reasons I bought a smartwatch 3 years ago. To get the phone out of my hands all the time!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

You CAN take it out of your home. On every site today. You can see how little people know about PS features in general. PS remote is here since the PS3 era and worked always anywhere in the world. I played fucking Destiny on an PSTV 8+ years ago when my girlfriend lived in Rotterdam. I didn't had to take my whole console with me. The device was there when i was with here in the weekends. I lived around 50km from here and my PS4 was on standby mode at my home.

Sony was ahead of its time in terms of remote play and streaming. Xbox had a shitty implementation for years. Just since a few years you can use Xbox streaming without VPN, which was never needed for PS remote play on any of the latests consoles and handhelds.

Last edited:
It’s not a good price when you factor:

1) You need a PS5 In order for the thing to function.
2) No cloud gaming support.
3) It only connects to WiFi.

I’m sure there are some with families who would use it, but this seems incredibly niche for the price.

So it's niche but it's a good price.... :D

If you don't need it, don't buy it...

Problem solved

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This thing is so fucking dumb. $200 for beeg dualsense and screen. Jim Ryan's Sony has this bizarre attraction to being some kind of premium Apple-like brand for gaming, without understanding why people put up with Apple's higher prices to begin with (value). This is a niche device at a high price. The exact same outcome can be had by connecting your existing dualsense to a phone or tablet.

You are mentioning Apple and Sony in one reply. You should've know then that both these companies have respect for each other for many years. Apple supported PS product earlier then xbox products for their phones or tablets. The Macbooks (and Air), are all based on the Sony Vaio laptops.

Sony Vaio was the Macbook under the Windows laptops.

Tsaki

At $199 is a great price, and even close to impulse buy. No streaming is such a strange decision. Granted it runs Android so theoretically they could update it in the future, but still.

Vox Machina

Banned
Portal doesn’t run anything locally, not even basic apps. So if your Wi-Fi goes down or if someone else wants to use your PS5, it’s not going to work

I'm sorry, what????? Can't even run basic games like Vampire Survivors or Into The Breach for plane rides?

All I can say is the price seems right for what is basically a PS controller with a screen glued on, but why would you ever buy this if you aren't already so locked into the PS ecosystem?

Top Bottom