• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 2 Games are running on the XBOX Series S | MVG

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah, who wouldn't want to play inferior third party ports on a new console?

You act like Nintendo doesn't make first party games. What's going on with this Sony cult where only sony exclusives is

Nintendo's exclusives are among the best in first exclusives don't you dare downplay this.

Not sure what "beer" means in front of God of War, but PS2/PSP GoWs are playable and seems that they run well.

Sorry, my auto correction on my phones apparently needs booze

iHaunter

GoW is mater of personal taste, bacause that are two totally different games from different genres, but there is no way GT7 will be better than GT4. Not after how shitty current PD output is. I have a friend who was almost crying when he realized how bad GT:Sport is in comparison to Forza Motorsport and old Gran Turismo games. That series is not progressing in quality for 14 years now. It's actually regressing in some areas.
We'll have to see how GT7 turns out. They seem to have put a lot of work into it.

Zog

Banned
You act like Nintendo doesn't make first party games. What's going on with this Sony cult where only sony exclusives is

Nintendo's exclusives are among the best in first exclusives don't you dare downplay this.

I can tell you that I have not been impressed by Nintendo's first party games this gen. Add in the fact that third party games are usually downgrades on the Switch and I just don't get all the love for the machine.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I can tell you that I have not been impressed by Nintendo's first party games this gen. Add in the fact that third party games are usually downgrades on the Switch and I just don't get all the love for the machine.

Well, I agree on third party games they are inferior in any way, but about first parties that's solely subjective. I've bought many more exclusives on my switch than on my ps4. There's only one game I'm really interested in on ps4, and I would rather see it on pc.

Breath of the wild was a let down for me, but loving all the other games.

Again, subjective and all that.

Zog

Banned
Well, I agree on third party games they are inferior in any way, but about first parties that's solely subjective. I've bought many more exclusives on my switch than on my ps4. There's only one game I'm really interested in on ps4, and I would rather see it on pc.

Breath of the wild was a let down for me, but loving all the other games.

Again, subjective and all that.

Buying exclusives and liking them are two different things. I bought the exclusives too and was not impressed by Mario Odyssey, Mario Party, Pokemon, Zelda: Skyrim Edition, etc...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh, that I agree with, it's really interesting to implement a modern idea into something that was already coded. I never tried any of these retroachievements, but if they work as intended it's some real clever stuff :)

It's just that I'm not into modern cheevos/trophies, all of the ones I have were accidental :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm huge into RetroAchievements (stealth brag: I'm in the top 5% of their users by score) and they typically work exactly how you imagine. There are even options in Retroarch to have pop ups and sounds (default is the Xbox achievement noise, or close to it, interestingly enough). The achievements themselves are coded by hobbiests but the way it's done is similar to open-source software. Everyone has access to the memory pointers that are created, and any member can submit tweaks as needed to fix things - if that's your skillset. The end result is that the achievements that are published there have usually been tested pretty thoroughly and may have been tweaked by multiple people to ensure that everything is working as intended. Nowadays, the majority of this work is coordinated on Discord.

I love retro games and I feel like this achievement system breathes new life into some of my favorite classic games. A lot of the achievements are designed around doing wacky things you might not normally do or care about - like beating Zelda bosses without getting hit or collecting all the coins in a level on Super Mario 64. I've had loads of fun trying to tackle some of these challenges. And sometimes, just knowing that I can unlock new achievements in some of my favorite old games is motivation enough for me to boot them up and play them.

The best part is that they're 100% optional.

lock2k

Banned
I'm huge into RetroAchievements (stealth brag: I'm in the top 5% of their users by score) and they typically work exactly how you imagine. There are even options in Retroarch to have pop ups and sounds (default is the Xbox achievement noise, or close to it, interestingly enough). The achievements themselves are coded by hobbiests but the way it's done is similar to open-source software. Everyone has access to the memory pointers that are created, and any member can submit tweaks as needed to fix things - if that's your skillset. The end result is that the achievements that are published there have usually been tested pretty thoroughly and may have been tweaked by multiple people to ensure that everything is working as intended. Nowadays, the majority of this work is coordinated on Discord.

I love retro games and I feel like this achievement system breathes new life into some of my favorite classic games. A lot of the achievements are designed around doing wacky things you might not normally do or care about - like beating Zelda bosses without getting hit or collecting all the coins in a level on Super Mario 64. I've had loads of fun trying to tackle some of these challenges. And sometimes, just knowing that I can unlock new achievements in some of my favorite old games is motivation enough for me to boot them up and play them.

The best part is that they're 100% optional.

That's cool. Personally I never got the appeal but I'm afraid I never really got into them because I know of my addictive nature and I would probably go nuts trying to complete the challenges. It is a great idea indeed to inject new life into classics. I really like your comment.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty awesome. I haven't owned an Xbox since the 360 days, but I really like how much they've put in to backwards compatibility. If I ever was to buy an Xbox again, it's nice to know I'd be able to play those games I missed out on from previous gens. The Series S is still looking appealing when it's back in stock, as it is a great price point. The fact it can now play backwards titles from other consoles now as well is really cool. The PlayStation 2 Library is probably the best, so many iconic titles.

Your PC will run Goldeneye perfectly. As well as any other system ever made since 1979.

I know but I want to play it on my couch on a big TV. Just like you said, you can say the same thing about this entire idea of emulation on a Series S console, your laptop can play the same roms, your PC can play them, plus so much more.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Added achievemnts must be hell with this approach, if you have to somewhat inject handlers for them, for some random thing in game. But if I am not wrong some emulators on PC inject achievements to Mario Bros. Hopefully I don't imagining things.

Oh yeah it exists: https://retroachievements.org/
Oh, that I agree with, it's really interesting to implement a modern idea into something that was already coded. I never tried any of these retroachievements, but if they work as intended it's some real clever stuff :)

It's just that I'm not into modern cheevos/trophies, all of the ones I have were accidental :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I don't know about Sony's approach, but Retroachievements does not actually need to inject anything, it's simply reading memory values. It's pretty simple to create Achievements yourself as well.

You can use it with retroarch btw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom