• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

coastel

Big.
Just recently got 4K TV and even 1080p games look like bliss.

Exactly this. Even games that are 1080p look a lot better. Could be down to the quality of my old set though it was a decent one when first purchased, but the colours are way more vibrant on a 4k tv.

My ps4 pro started to coil whine two weeks ago, here's a video of what I sounds like :
https://youtu.be/ByEorlhTvTw

The thing is it doesn't do it constantly and work flawlessly aside from this issue. But when she whine, it is insufferable, I can hear the high pitched noise from my bathroom on the other side of the wall if I leave the doors opened. It can also disturb my sleep...

I finally decided to ask for a replacement on Amazon but it is out of stock. I hope that they will send another unit before I send mine because I don't want to buy a hard drive just for transferring data...
It's weird to see stock issues long after launch and Christmas...

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
GAF bros please help me. So I'm on the edge of getting a PRO to replace my OG PS4. I have a 1080p TV though and a reciever with HDMI 1.3 and I plan to upgrade next year to a 4K setup.
Will I be limited in any way with HDMI 1.3? Will I get full features from the PRO in 1080p?

Ocho

GAF bros please help me. So I'm on the edge of getting a PRO to replace my OG PS4. I have a 1080p TV though and a reciever with HDMI 1.3 and I plan to upgrade next year to a 4K setup.
Will I be limited in any way with HDMI 1.3? Will I get full features from the PRO in 1080p?

No HDR

Izuna

Banned
I have a plasma from 2010 so don't think HDR is available. OK so I still get (when it's possible) to have downscaled content in 30/60fps?

Yeah, you will.

Up to you if it's worth it, though.

Your Plasma probs looks better than a lot of HDR screens anyway ;)

Ocho

I have a plasma from 2010 so don't think HDR is available. OK so I still get (when it's possible) to have downscaled content in 30/60fps?

Some games downscale content and stick to 30 fps, others give you an option for 60 fps 1080, but yes, no reason not to get everything except 4K and HDR (obviously).

Supersampling works as an Anti-aliasing method.
Just FYI, the downsampling includes it's own AA and isn't just anti-aliasing. It retains a lot of the additional visual information from the higher resolution, producing an image with higher detail than raw 1080p rendering.

I think in many games it's been worth it, and even just the more consistent / full 1080p gameplay in BF1 makes it easier to see people (same with Uncharted 4).

Tubie

Just got a 4k TV today and holy shit...

Tried FF15 with HDR and holy fucking shit...

Also played BF1 and it looks incredible in 4k, I didn't expect that game to look even better than it already did in 1080p.

I really didn't expect to notice such a jump in quality like this. If you have a Pro and are still on a 1080p set I recommend you upgrade to 4k asap.

Redlogic

Has anyone else had issues with crashing to blue screen while playing NBA 2k17 on their pro? Thinking about replacing my Pro via geek squad protection.

Just got a 4k TV today and holy shit...

Tried FF15 with HDR and holy fucking shit...

Also played BF1 and it looks incredible in 4k, I didn't expect that game to look even better than it already did in 1080p.

I really didn't expect to notice such a jump in quality like this. If you have a Pro and are still on a 1080p set I recommend you upgrade to 4k asap.

What TV do you have?

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Yeah, you will.

Up to you if it's worth it, though.

Your Plasma probs looks better than a lot of HDR screens anyway ;)
I agree that I have a luxury problem :)
Very pleased with my plasma and it's PQ, but I feel it's not up to date with everything else going on - my main reason for upgrading to a PRO is higher/stable framerate in 1080p. Not totally sure if it's worth it though.

Some games downscale content and stick to 30 fps, others give you an option for 60 fps 1080, but yes, no reason not to get everything except 4K and HDR (obviously).
Thanks for clarifying, thats what i thought as well.

Thanks for your answers.

Just bought a Samsung KS8000, time for me to get a Pro to take advantage of that 4k/HDR goodness.

Any deals running anywhere right now? I'd hate to spend full MSRP and it doesn't even come with a game or two.

danthefan

Anyone have an issue with their Pro going into rest mode? It's happened to me about 3 or 4 times in the last week that the light on the front will flash orange indefinitely, it'll never actually go into rest, and I have to hold the power button for about 30s to turn it off.

Is this a common thing? Any solution to it?

Anyone have an issue with their Pro going into rest mode? It's happened to me about 3 or 4 times in the last week that the light on the front will flash orange indefinitely, it'll never actually go into rest, and I have to hold the power button for about 30s to turn it off.

Is this a common thing? Any solution to it?

Haven't seen that problem but there was a thread recently with lots of people having problems with rest mode. Are you using a ups?

Got the Samsung ku6290 today for $289.

We were at Costco on Saturday and I saw this tv. I was close to buying it, but I don't think it actually displays true HDR. I think it just accepts the HDR data, but it's not a true HDR picture. Can anyone confirm or deny? If it's true HDR I'll go back and buy one.

wilflare

logged me my PS4 Pro recently and saw that I missed not one but two $10 vouchers from Sony :/
ugh.

one is a Welcome gift, the other is a Oops!
ugh

zedge

We were at Costco on Saturday and I saw this tv. I was close to buying it, but I don't think it actually displays true HDR. I think it just accepts the HDR data, but it's not a true HDR picture. Can anyone confirm or deny? If it's true HDR I'll go back and buy one.

Its not a 10 bit panel and has no wide color gamut. It does take the HDR signal and it does improve the picture somewhat, but its not nearly as good as a panel with wide color etc. Still an awesome 4k TV with an awesome picture, and low input lag for gaming. The better HDR TVs are much more expensive so its all what you can afford. It wasn't worth the extra money for me, double the cost for the better sets here. I have the 55 inch 6290, cost me about $1000, the 55 inch KS8000 (a higher end set with true HDR) is over $2000. In my opinion a couple of years from now the sub $1000 sets will likely have HDR as goof if not better than current high end sets. Of course the high end sets will be better also.

The Sony X850D is better at HDR and its a cheaper than the high end Samsungs. However, the 49 inch was as much as my 55 inch 6290. The Sony is not very bright though and its an IPS panel which is inferior to VA in some ways. (Contrast, blacks, brightness) The 43 inch is VA but that's too small for my needs. My biggest issue is only having 3 hdmi inputs on the 6290, the Sonys have 4.

Tubie

Its not a 10 bit panel and has no wide color gamut. It does take the HDR signal and it does improve the picture somewhat, but its not nearly as good as a panel with wide color etc. Still an awesome 4k TV with an awesome picture, and low input lag for gaming. The better HDR TVs are much more expensive so its all what you can afford. It wasn't worth the extra money for me, double the cost for the better sets here. I have the 55 inch 6290, cost me about $1000, the 55 inch KS8000 (a higher end set with true HDR) is over $2000. In my opinion a couple of years from now the sub $1000 sets will likely have HDR as goof if not better than current high end sets. Of course the high end sets will be better also.

The Sony X850D is better at HDR and its a cheaper than the high end Samsungs. However, the 49 inch was as much as my 55 inch 6290. The Sony is not very bright though and its an IPS panel which is inferior to VA in some ways. (Contrast, blacks, brightness) The 43 inch is VA but that's too small for my needs. My biggest issue is only having 3 hdmi inputs on the 6290, the Sonys have 4.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

That reviewer says it's 10 bit, but like you said, no wide color gamut.

HDR mode in games look a lot brighter and prettier to me, but I imagine real HDR is much much better.

I was on the same boat as you and it's why I bought it. At 40" the next cheapest/good option that displayed true HDR was nearly $700 (ku7000) at my closest Best Buy, so basically over double the price of the ku6290 just for true HDR. So I decided to get the 6290 as sort of a stopgap till HDR tech matures a bit more and prices come down.

Not true HDR no.

It's Costco tho, you have 90 days to return it if you decide it's not worth it.

zedge

HDR mode in games look a lot brighter and prettier to me, but I imagine real HDR is much much better.

I was on the same boat as you and it's why I bought it. At 40" the next cheapest/good option that displayed true HDR was nearly $700 (ku7000) at my closest Best Buy, so basically over double the price of the ku6290 just for true HDR. So I decided to get the 6290 as sort of a stopgap till HDR tech matures a bit more and prices come down.

Not true HDR no.

It displays a 10 bit color gradient but I don't think its 10 bit. Seems to be a lot of debate on this lol.

This is a good comparison with the 8000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix_wQaKs2MY

Here is rtings video review btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqhmi8zm8eg

Still very happy with the TV for what it is.

Errrr.... a universal power supply? Tbh haven't come across those in a domestic setting. It's just plugged into the wall.

Some people were speculating that the power source was causing issues and at least one person fixed the problem by removing a ups box.

Someone else was blaming the Internet connection, guess you could try disconnecting the Internet and seeing if the problem persists.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Austindo

Neo Member
So I just got a PS4 Pro, every time I try to do the ethernet transfer (both direct, and through a router) I get an error code. Is there for a fix for this?

vpance

Mine does it too and I have the 2TB Firecuda SSHD. I saw it on my brother's PS4 Pro as well and he is using the stock 1TB.

I have the Firecuda too.

Weird issue, I wonder what's causing it. Maybe that rebuild database function will help. Also, resuming suspended games takes 3s instead of near instant like it is on OG PS4.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So I just got a PS4 Pro, every time I try to do the ethernet transfer (both direct, and through a router) I get an error code. Is there for a fix for this?

Try this, make sure both systems are turned on first and THEN connect the ethernet cable to both. If that doesn't work then make sure both are connected via ethernet before turning on either system. I don't quite remember which it was but I had this problem on ps3 back in the day and it might be similar.

Lady Gaia

Errrr.... a universal power supply? Tbh haven't come across those in a domestic setting. It's just plugged into the wall.

Uninterruptible Power Supply, but otherwise I agree they're generally not worth it in a home context. Hopefully more robust solutions like the Tesla Powerwall eventually relegate the whole idea to the dustbin.

My Pro has been acting strange the last few days. I never use rest mode and always power it down when I'm done with it. I also always make sure all applications are closed. When I power down it takes a really long time to completely shut off. The white power light blinks for probably a minute to a minute and a half and at some point it does a quick triple beep. The white light continues to blink after that for about 20 seconds then goes out. Has anyone experienced this or is it a "known" thing?

Having an odd little issue with the Pro. Not a big deal, just weird. When I use a 6ft. charging cable (third-party) to charge the controller, I'll occasionally get a little message pop-up saying that the headset is not connected, and then a second one following it saying there is no headset for me to use. I was not ever using a headset or trying to. Is there a specific reason it's doing this? I don't think it ever did this when I was using the shorter cable that's included with the console.

joecanada

Not true HDR no.

90 days? what is this madness? Lol does Costco have a specific policy for tvs? because I can tell you that for all other shit they will literally return anything at any time for any reason.

my friend took his blender back there two years later.... reason for return? "I didn't like it"

Tubie

90 days? what is this madness? Lol does Costco have a specific policy for tvs? because I can tell you that for all other shit they will literally return anything at any time for any reason.

my friend took his blender back there two years later.... reason for return? "I didn't like it"

The receipt says 90 days on electronics, but they do extend the warranty on electronics to 2 years for no extra cost. In theory, one could just bring the TV back in 2 years and tell them there's something wrong with it and they will either give you a refund or store credit, with basically no questions asked.

I'm amazed they still have this policy, as I'm sure a lot of people abuse this system.

So my PS4 Pro is probably dying so I got a new one that I will get tomorrow.

They only need to be in the same network, right? How does that work to get my data from one Pro to another?

Zuzzissm0

Maybe i get a Pro next week and was asking myselfe how i get supersampling. i have a 1080p TV so is the only thing i have to do to go into the settings and select 1080p?

Planet

It will be default with your TV connected, and you can't really choose any different (lower resolutions, yes, but they hardly matter). Oversampling is automatically applied where applicable.

Not true HDR no.

I'm confused because the link to the review is for the ku6300, not the ku6290... wish I could get a definite answer on how the hdr "mode" or implementation works on this thing. It's possibly a steal a $290, but I don't want to get stuck with inferior, early adopter tech. I bought one of those Samsung Slim Tube HD TV's back in the day and it was a nightmare.

Tubie

I'm confused because the link to the review is for the ku6300, not the ku6290... wish I could get a definite answer on how the hdr "mode" or implementation works on this thing. It's possibly a steal a $290, but I don't want to get stuck with inferior, early adopter tech. I bought one of those Samsung Slim Tube HD TV's back in the day and it was a nightmare.

KU6290 is another variant of the KU6300 which we expect to have the same picture quality but with a smart remote and no Bluetooth connectivity.

What is for sure is it doesn't have true HDR, it will play HDR mode and it does improve the image in my eyes, but it's not taking full advantage of it.

If you want decent HDR with low input lag, you would probably have to go up to the KS8000, those start around $1000.

Kudo

What is for sure is it doesn't have true HDR, it will play HDR mode and it does improve the image in my eyes, but it's not taking full advantage of it.

If you want decent HDR with low input lag, you would probably have to go up to the KS8000, those start around $1000.

Exactly, it supports HDR but doesn't have the wide colour space to fully show its effect. I think it looks nice though, especially for the low price.

Exactly, it supports HDR but doesn't have the wide colour space to fully show its effect. I think it looks nice though, especially for the low price.

Hmmm... ok, so it accepts an HDR signal and attempts to mimic HDR output, but doesn't have the wide color space to fully display. And you guys are saying it still looks quite nice... I have to consider this then. We need a new TV for our bedroom. We will only be using Netflix, Hulu, and Apple TV on it. I currently have my Pro hooked up to 40" Sony 1080p set in our office. Maybe I buy this and put in the office with Pro and move 1080p set to bedroom... I really enjoy the supersampling on the Pro though. Wish I could see the Pro hooked up to 4K tv to decide...

zedge

They are the same set. 6290 just lacks Bluetooth and the smart remote. You are not going to get a 10 bit high end panel that does full HDR at that price.

crankyxt

It does, Premium HDMI Cable in the box, but people have had good and bad batches of it, should work though.

What happens when you have a bad one? Handshake issues?

Im thinking of jumping back into Playstation with a Pro and Yakuza 0 being my main reason. What the best bundle right now?

Top Bottom