• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

So that is it for the old PS4 games that got PS4 PRO support? Ok we are seeing better support for the new games like with the excellent port of RE7, but what about the other old games like Witcher 3 (won't get support, sadly), Batman Arkham Knight, The Order 1886, Until Dawn, the PS4 Resident Evil games, Doom, GTA5, Uncharted Collection, GOW3: Remastered, Bloodborne, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, MGS5...?
Even DOAX3 is getting a PRO patch (and VR mode) while the game isn't even released in the west.
I think the list for supported old games is just meager.

I remember reading somewhere that Rocksteady had no plans to update Arkham Knight. It would have been nice though.

TLZ

Banned
Ya, I already calibrated my TV to based on rtings. Apparently in this case, it's just the game. Unfortunately this is the only game I have at the moment that supports HDR. So I don't have other game to test.
Did you play with the in game settings?

I remember reading somewhere that Rocksteady had no plans to update Arkham Knight. It would have been nice though.

I think we got PS4 PRO updates for all the old games that were supposed to get updates (around the same period). I don't think any of the other old games will get any update in the future. I don't think it would take too much ressources or time to do it (2 devs and 2 weeks at most) especially for multiplatform games that already have higher settings on PC that devs could tweal and enable on PS4 PRO.

I think we got PS4 PRO updates for all the old games that were supposed to get updates (around the same period). I don't think any of the other old games will get any update in the future. I don't think it would take too much ressources or time to do it (2 devs and 2 weeks at most) especially for multiplatform games that already have higher settings on PC that devs could tweal and enable on PS4 PRO.

That's sadly probably true.

Resogun patch is confirmed and not out yet, so there's still hope for a few stragglers I reckon.

Wonder what the sales data on Pro supported older games is looking like. Maybe a few more devs/publishers might be convinced it's worth financing a patch when they see the data. As fan service.

That's sadly probably true.

Resogun patch is confirmed and not out yet, so there's still hope for a few stragglers I reckon.

Wonder what the sales data on Pro supported older games is looking like. Maybe a few more devs/publishers might be convinced it's worth financing a patch when they see the data. As fan service.

Rocket League is even supposed to get an update allowing cross-play between all platforms thanks to play anywhere alongside the PS4 PRO support : http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-pro-patch-considered-by-rocket-league-dev/1100-6443734/

PS4 PRO is sold out in many countries for almost a month now. So you get the idea.

I thought some mmos would profit from the PS4 PRO especially those who belonged to Sony before like DCUO and Planetside 2.

Heads up people!

https://slickdeals.net/f/9713164-ga...t-need-to-be-used-towards-another-console?v=1

Extra $50 to trade in a PS4/XB1 right now at Gamestop. You can get cash for it too so you don't have to buy another console there. I think I'll go get my $150 for my launch PS4 and upgrade to a Pro. I have to buy the Pro at Best Buy though because I have some gift certificates for Best Buy otherwise I would take the extra $25 for Gamestop store credit.

Kudo

Does anyone have issues running your PS4 Pro through a HDMI switch?

I'd assume many HDMI switches currently run into HDCP 2.2 issues, but honestly no idea about peoples experiences.
With quick googling I found few HDCP 2.2 supporting ones that went only up to 10 Gbps (HDMI 2.0 limit is 18 Gbps) so no support for 4K RGB.

Heads up people!

https://slickdeals.net/f/9713164-ga...t-need-to-be-used-towards-another-console?v=1

Extra $50 to trade in a PS4/XB1 right now at Gamestop. You can get cash for it too so you don't have to buy another console there. I think I'll go get my $150 for my launch PS4 and upgrade to a Pro. I have to buy the Pro at Best Buy though because I have some gift certificates for Best Buy otherwise I would take the extra $25 for Gamestop store credit.

Yeah, I'm thinking about taking advantage of this deal too. May trade in my OG XB1 as well. Didn't realize the extra $50 was an option if you trade for cash. Interesting...

Edit: Just so everyone knows, you can buy Amazon Kindle gift cards at Gamestop with store credit which can then be used to purchase anything (?) from Amazon. There may be some limitations, but I've had no issues in the past.

ajanke

Got the pro a few weeks back. Loving it so far. I heard a lot of people complaining about the fans but I haven't noticed it. Mine is probably more quiet than my OG PS4

Heads up, watch Amazon for 3rd party sellers. I got one listed as new for $300, the tape for the box was unsealed but otherwise seemed to be totally new.

Sanctuary

Got my Pro last week, and started playing FFXV a few days ago. Holy shit those loading times. Are they the same as on the base version, and is it just because of it being open world? I don't really have any other game aside from Bloodborne to compare it with, but I haven't been used to such long loading times in a while.

I thought some mmos would profit from the PS4 PRO especially those who belonged to Sony before like DCUO and Planetside 2.
Planetside 2 does benefit from Pro, the framerate is improved a lot.

Got my Pro last week, and started playing FFXV a few days ago. Holy shit those loading times. Are they the same as on the base version, and is it just because of it being open world?
The Pro has shorter loading times than standard PS4 across the board, whether games are patched or not.

vpance

Can anyone do a quick test for me?

From a running game, go to the dashboard and open Youtube. Then go back and resume the game. How long does it take to resume it from when you hit X? And do you see a loading screen?

Yeah, I'm thinking about taking advantage of this deal too. May trade in my OG XB1 as well. Didn't realize the extra $50 was an option if you trade for cash. Interesting...

Edit: Just so everyone knows, you can buy Amazon Kindle gift cards at Gamestop with store credit which can then be used to purchase anything (?) from Amazon. There may be some limitations, but I've had no issues in the past.
They removed all Kindle GC last summer. They pretty much only have food and gas gift cards now

iFirez

I've enjoyed a few experiences on my Pro but nothing has blown me away. However, after seeing the 4K Horizon footage on YouTube that some people captured at the preview event side by side with some of the 1080p footage... my god, I can not wait to play this game on my Pro.

Caayn

While cleaning I just noticed that the Playstation face button symbols are also on the right side of the top Big Mac layer directly after the fan bump. Pretty cool touch.

wp_20170201_12_02_16_foy58.jpg

Does anyone know why the O is an actual hole?

Kudo

While cleaning I just noticed that the Playstation face button symbols are also on the right side of the top Big Mac layer directly after the fan bump. Pretty cool touch.

wp_20170201_12_02_16_foy58.jpg

Does anyone know why the O is an actual hole?

You install the vertical stand screw in that hole.

Zeusy

Got my pro about a week ago, and so far im loving it! RE7 on it looked amazing and my 4k tv sure does shine now.

Not sure how active this thread is, but I'm about to pull the trigger and just had a few questions.

I got a real nice 4K TV on Black Friday, and I kind of want to play Horizon in all its glory. I know that when RDR2, Mass Effect, etc. roll around I'd be glad to have it.

So I guess my question is, how noticeable is it? I'm not expecting a generational leap, but is the improvement obvious? Or something only the real graphic nuts will notice?

$400 isn't going to kill me or anything. But it will be one of my few lavish purchases that I'm alotted per year. So just be honest with me, do you have any regrets about buying one?

And my last question is a bit more complex. The day I bought my PS4 I got a 1.5TB HDD to put in it. Is there a simple way to transfer that over? Or should I just take the 500GB hit and re download everything onto the Pro? And if i do that, what should I do with the 1.5? I still have the OG HDD in the box, should I put that one back into the PS4 if I wanted to resell it?

Any help would be much appreciated. Hoping to jump in later this week!

Kudo

Not sure how active this thread is, but I'm about to pull the trigger and just had a few questions.

I got a real nice 4K TV on Black Friday, and I kind of want to play Horizon in all its glory. I know that when RDR2, Mass Effect, etc. roll around I'd be glad to have it.

So I guess my question is, how noticeable is it? I'm not expecting a generational leap, but is the improvement obvious? Or something only the real graphic nuts will notice?

$400 isn't going to kill me or anything. But it will be one of my few lavish purchases that I'm alotted per year. So just be honest with me, do you have any regrets about buying one?

And my last question is a bit more complex. The day I bought my PS4 I got a 1.5TB HDD to put in it. Is there a simple way to transfer that over? Or should I just take the 500GB hit and re download everything onto the Pro? And if i do that, what should I do with the 1.5? I still have the OG HDD in the box, should I put that one back into the PS4 if I wanted to resell it?

Any help would be much appreciated. Hoping to jump in later this week!

No regrets here, I think it looks gorgeous and easily redeems the price. I had buyers remorse for few weeks before I had 4KTV but now there's no going back.
Wouldn't say it's a generation leap but it just looks so good, even 1080p games look so great on the screen I'd say 4K TV and Pro go really well together.

If you can connect both PS4s to same LAN you can do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoIOifDL1vM
Easiest method, takes some time but takes care of everything.

You can sell your old PS4 with the OG HDD and use the 1.5TB somewhere else, if you want to use the 1.5TB with the Pro you'll have to download everything again as it will be formatted when inserted to new system. (Or you'll have to do that, not sure if its automatic at all)

black070

Of course it varies from game to game, but I will say as a 4K owner you owe it to yourself to pick one up. The difference for the vast majority of Pro-enhanced titles is almost night and day on one.

Nope, none.

If by transferring you mean the content in the hard drive then yes it is easy to do, however I don't know the best steps to advise you to follow in doing it. If you don't mind redownloading everything - you could simply swap the 1.5TB HDD into the Pro straight out of the box before launching it.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna pull the trigger later today, can't wait!

If you don't mind redownloading everything - you could simply swap the 1.5TB HDD into the Pro straight out of the box before launching it.
Wait would this really work? I have google fiber so redownloading isn't a huge issue. I'm guessing it would wipe it when I put it in the new Pro. So I'd be fucked if it didn't work.

Oh and one more thing, does the stand come with it? And if not where I can I get one?

Hellgardia

So, i just got a ps4pro. Do i need to activate any options in games to fully notice the change in (for example) uncharted 4? I have a 1080p TV for now.

Morts

Did the Amazon video app never get updated for 4k? I don't see the same UHD categories that my tv's built-in app has.

sgtmofo

Neo Member
Just traded in the OG PS4 for $175 and put it towards the Pro. I kept holding out because I had some SP titles I wanted to finish and didn't know if I did cloud saves, so once I completed Hyper Light Drifter (side note: no trophy for completion? wtf?) it was time to say my goodbyes and upgrade.

I have it paired with my KS8000, which I wish was more intuitive as far as picture settings for SDR and HDR content go. Currently in the process of redownloading everything, and looking forward to trying Diablo 3 with the most recent patch. Might just pick up RE7 as well.

Can someone please help me out? My HDR looks incredibly washed out. The TV settings remain unchanged...this is me turning off HDR through the settings on the PS4. Please excuse the cell phone quality pics...but you get the point.

I thought HDR was supposed to make the colors more vibrant...not duller.

I have a KS8000 for reference.

HDR OFF
yTAN2nb.jpg

HDR ON
OJEPtAC.jpg

Lady Gaia

I thought HDR was supposed to make the colors more vibrant...not duller.

Wide color gamut makes a display more accurate and capable of a wider range, but if the source image isn't supposed to be oversaturated then it will maintain the intended subtle tone. An HDR signal uses the Rec.2020 color space that represents this larger range but it's not really a characteristic of HDR per se. HDR is more about dynamic range – subtle shadow details and incredibly bright areas are where the differences should lie.

The images you posted suggest to me that you have the Color Space option set to Native which will indeed hugely oversaturate non-HDR signals on the KS8000. This should be set to Auto to give you proper color representation with or without HDR.

Agree with the above, lots of people use crazy settings on their TVs when it comes to colour. Way over saturated is pretty common.

If you're used to that, the more realistic tones on HDR might look very muted.

Diablos

Twice now in a week I've got the CE-36329-3 error. It's always when I bring my PS4 Pro out of suspend mode and it happens in the menu when trying to access an app or game. Is this serious?

The display cuts out for a second and then the error pops up. Suspended app still in memory. It's so weird.

Celeras

Banned
Having difficulty getting HDCP 2.2 to show in settings. At first I got a message stating my TV wasn't compatible. I know it is (on HDMI 3 anyway) and quickly realized it was my cable. So I swapped it out for the one that came with the PS4. Not sure if its the one that came with the PS4 or the Pro tbh.. but its one of them. Dunno if theyre different. It says e97252-h blah blah High Speed on the side.

Anyway. That "not compatible" message is now gone.. but it still says HDCP 1.4 in the output. Googled and tried the safe mode/automatic/on/off thing without any luck. Is this a thing?

UN55H6840 is my TV model, and yes HDMI 3. Thanks in advance.

Wide color gamut makes a display more accurate and capable of a wider range, but if the source image isn't supposed to be oversaturated then it will maintain the intended subtle tone. An HDR signal uses the Rec.2020 color space that represents this larger range but it's not really a characteristic of HDR per se. HDR is more about dynamic range – subtle shadow details and incredibly bright areas are where the differences should lie.

The images you posted suggest to me that you have the Color Space option set to Native which will indeed hugely oversaturate non-HDR signals on the KS8000. This should be set to Auto to give you proper color representation with or without HDR.

Yep, on my Sony X80 I run my brightness at 5 yet it goes way higher, if you get your settings right then things shouldn't be giving your nauseating headaches and HDR should just be letting you see finer details and colours. My best experience of HDR so far wasn't game related but watching The Grand Tour on Amazon Video, they were driving through the desert at night with beach buggies and the lighting was simply amazing

JGCD

Neo Member
1.Got a regular ps4 but im mostly digital so I was gonna wipe it , sell it to a buddy and redownload them all back on my pro after signing in. missing any steps here?
2.If I want to keep save data, I need to either back it via PSPlus cloud or usb drive?
3.I heard that sound-wise its pretty quiet or is that game depended? (my ps4 is pretty quiet unless I play FF15 which makes the fans roar)

1.Got a regular ps4 but im mostly digital so I was gonna wipe it , sell it to a buddy and redownload them all back on my pro after signing in. missing any steps here?
2.If I want to keep save data, I need to either back it via PSPlus cloud or usb drive?
3.I heard that sound-wise its pretty quiet or is that game depended? (my ps4 is pretty quiet unless I play FF15 which makes the fans roar)

1) deactive it as primary first then wipe, unsure if it asks you if you want to do that in the wipe process, but just to be careful
2) Yep cloud or USB stick is fine
3) Mine is fairly quiet, although you can hear it in a silent room sometimes when playing things like ESO running native 4K other noisy games have been UC4 and some VR stuff.

1. Not that I know
2. Yup
3. It is quiet when you play games with no support. I play Tales of Berseria and I can't hear the console at all. Deux Ex is the noisier of the bunch, and even then nowhere near the levels of OG PS4. RE7 barely makes noise, but is there.

I'd say this is game dependant considering the amount of resources each game uses.

Top Bottom