• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Kudo

What happens when you have a bad one? Handshake issues?

Im thinking of jumping back into Playstation with a Pro and Yakuza 0 being my main reason. What the best bundle right now?

Yup, handshake issue is the main reason people buy new cable.
Doesn't seem like there is any bundles worth mentioning at the moment, so just grabbing it from the local store seems like a good idea, if they're selling it at $399.

Anybody playing For Honor on the Pro and a 1080PTV? How the heat/fan on your console while doing so? My newly installed pro on my 1080P TV is running noticeably hot and the fan is kicked into high gear it seems. My vanilla PS4 never ran like this.

Kudo

Anybody playing For Honor on the Pro and a 1080PTV? How the heat/fan on your console while doing so? My newly installed pro on my 1080P TV is running noticeably hot and the fan is kicked into high gear it seems. My vanilla PS4 never ran like this.

Just finished playing and honestly couldn't even hear the fan start spinning, but then again I wasn't paying attention.. Will try to listen to it more closely tomorrow, and I'm playing on 4K TV if that makes any difference, does the game have Pro support?

Just finished playing and honestly couldn't even hear the fan start spinning, but then again I wasn't paying attention.. Will try to listen to it more closely tomorrow, and I'm playing on 4K TV if that makes any difference, does the game have Pro support?

I have it in my Besta TV cabinet. Door was closed so it was rather enclosed. I may end up pulling off the back panel of the cabinet. Would be an easier way to vent it then having the door wide open. But yeah...that fan was crazy busy.

Kudo

I have it in my Besta TV cabinet. Door was closed so it was rather enclosed. I may end up pulling off the back panel of the cabinet. Would be an easier way to vent it then having the door wide open. But yeah...that fan was crazy busy.

So, just finished lengthy session of 6 hours and I noticed that the fan for most of the time was silent, but once when the game disconnected during game it started to rev up, and I just reboot the game and it went to silent again.

Just ordered one. It's 389 € on Amazon.de for some reason atm.

Now that's a good deal, grats.

So that is it for the old PS4 games that got PS4 PRO support? Ok we are seeing better support for the new games like with the excellent port of RE7, but what about the other old games like Witcher 3 (won't get support, sadly), Batman Arkham Knight, The Order 1886, Until Dawn, the PS4 Resident Evil games, Doom, GTA5, Uncharted Collection, GOW3: Remastered, Bloodborne, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, MGS5...?
Even DOAX3 is getting a PRO patch (and VR mode) while the game isn't even released in the west.
I think the list for supported old games is just meager.

Tubie

So that is it for the old PS4 games that got PS4 PRO support? Ok we are seeing better support for the new games like with the excellent port of RE7, but what about the other old games like Witcher 3 (won't get support, sadly), Batman Arkham Knight, The Order 1886, Until Dawn, the PS4 Resident Evil games, Doom, GTA5, Uncharted Collection, GOW3: Remastered, Bloodborne, Beyond: Two Souls, Heavy Rain, MGS5...?
Even DOAX3 is getting a PRO patch (and VR mode) while the game isn't even released in the west.
I think the list for supported old games is just meager.

Yea, I'm kind of disappointed more old games didn't get a Pro patch.

At least most future releases are getting Pro support for sure. I can't wait for Mass Effect in 4k!

I'm thinking about trading in my OG XB1 and PS4 for a used/refurbished Pro from Gamestop. I would still have to pay $50 to cover the remainder and tax, but it also comes with a game or accessory under $40. You guys think this is a good idea or nah? Kind of skeptical about getting a used console granted some of the issues I've seen. A new one is only $50 more.

bubumiao

I'm thinking about trading in my OG XB1 and PS4 for a used/refurbished Pro from Gamestop. I would still have to pay $50 to cover the remainder and tax, but it also comes with a game or accessory under $40. You guys think this is a good idea or nah? Kind of skeptical about getting a used console granted some of the issues I've seen. A new one is only $50 more.

Get a new one.

Tubie

Definitely get a new one.

I wouldn't risk it with the early reports of some units being crazy loud.

I think one of my favourite things about the Pro is that it's whisper quiet when playing standard PS4 games that used to make my OG roar. So nice to have even when a Pro patch is missing.

Waveset

Is it normal for my Pro to sound like a computer that's "thinking". I just bought it today, and it constantly makes that cackle sound.
That may be writing information to the hard drive. Have you changed it or are you using the stock one? It shouldn't be making that noise, I would try a full format/reinstall.

pswii60

Is it normal for my Pro to sound like a computer that's "thinking". I just bought it today, and it constantly makes that cackle sound.
Mine does the same (Firecuda SSHD installed btw) but only when playing a game with a Pro mode.

And it's not a temperature thing, the noise starts as soon as any game with a Pro mode starts.

Apparently not, sorry. Unless they have updated it recently which I doubt.

I thought Netflix updates happen internally within their servers. For example the shift to 4K content for the PS4 PRO app was done within their servers and didn't need an update for the app.

I thought Netflix updates happen internally within their servers. For example the shift to 4K content for the PS4 PRO app was done within their servers and didn't need an update for the app.

App always needs updating to support new/updated features - no way HDR will happen without the app being updated. Same on every version of Netflix on any console/tv - Amazon do most of theirs web based, but even when HDR and 4k happened there you needed app updates.

App always needs updating to support new/updated features - no way HDR will happen without the app being updated. Same on every version of Netflix on any console/tv - Amazon do most of theirs web based, but even when HDR and 4k happened there you needed app updates.

I am pretty sure the 4K update for Netflix didn't happen through the app update but internally through their servers. It has been stated multiple times by many. 4K quality was selectable instantly.

I am pretty sure the 4K update for Netflix didn't happen through the app update but internally through their servers. It has been stated multiple times by many. 4K quality was selectable instantly.

It was enabled in an older app update ready for just the PS4 Pro, thus already working on the PS4 Pro from day one.

You'll never get HDR without the app updating. Thankfully I have a shield TV with it already - but even that had to be app updated, same on Xbox One S. Same on TV's

Brock2621

I was REALLY hoping for a DOOM patch myself as they always seem to be obsessed with graphics. I love the frame rate but the muddy, slow loading texture streaming is noticeable if I'm not blasting baddies.

Seems it's not only Nintendo who under stock shit. Trying to find a PS4 Pro in UK just impossible. Every Game within a 20 mile radius has none, Amazon has none, Argos .... none , Tesco ... None. Sort your shit out Sony. It's like they don't want my money.

Malcolm9

Seems it's not only Nintendo who under stock shit. Trying to find a PS4 Pro in UK just impossible. Every Game within a 20 mile radius has none, Amazon has none, Argos .... none , Tesco ... None. Sort your shit out Sony. It's like they don't want my money.

Can't you order it online instead?

Tubie

I think Sony just gives crazy priority to NA when it comes to Pro and PSVR shipments.

So I'm about to buy a PS4 now but I'm on the fence between the slim or the pro.

1. Is the price, I can buy a PS4 slim for 200€ right now or the pro for 400€.
2. I don't have a 4k tv now but I'm going to buy near the release day of the Scorpio.
3. I play everything on my Xbox one, so I'm only buying for the first party games.

These are the most important things I'm looking for it.

Lady Gaia

It's easily worth it if the price difference isn't a significant financial burden. If 200€ is equivalent to a couple of impulse purchases then the Pro will really shine when you go 4K and you'll be happy you did it to get better clarity and eliminate graphical artifacts. If, on the other hand, it's a huge sacrifice you'll wonder why you spent money you could have put to better use elsewhere – because ultimately they are the same games.

bubumiao

1. Is the price, I can buy a PS4 slim for 200€ right now or the pro for 400€.
2. I don't have a 4k tv now but I'm going to buy near the release day of the Scorpio.
3. I play everything on my Xbox one, so I'm only buying for the first party games.

These are the most important things I'm looking for it.

Get a pro, that way you'll be all set for when you get your 4K tv. Plus you'll kick yourself when more pro enhanced games get released over the year and you won't get to to see the benefits (eventually).

Yeah, I figured this would be the safer route. Any chance there will be a Horizon and Pro bundle?

If you don't mind waiting til closer to Feb. 28th I'm guessing they'll release a pro bundle with the game. Don't forget that Sony is pushing this game hard and they'd probably want to attract new buyers with a pro bundle that will showcase their flagship "pro" game. I could be wrong though, I doubt the slim will be bundled with it since it's being touted as a "4K" game with HDR and what not.

Just go a Samsung ks8000, and I'm testing out the HDR.

Only game I have that uses it right now is Infamous First Light. When I switch HDR on (Through PS4 settings) The game does look more natural, but also doesn't seem to "pop", which I though HDR does.

With it off, the colors are brighter, but just looks more "glowy". Is this how the game is supposed to be?

And I'm pretty sure are the settings on my TV are right. HDMI UHD color is on, backlight to 20, etc. PS4 Pro says it's activating HDR, and my TV says it's HDR.

Lady Gaia

Only game I have that uses it right now is Infamous First Light.

First Light's HDR implementation isn't exactly a reliable showcase. It tends toward a very dark image instead of subtly enabling shadow detail and highlights without sacrificing the rest of the visuals in the process.

Uncharted 4 does a great job in my opinion. So does Ratchet and Clank. Both are also solid games to boot.

If you don't mind waiting til closer to Feb. 28th I'm guessing they'll release a pro bundle with the game. Don't forget that Sony is pushing this game hard and they'd probably want to attract new buyers with a pro bundle that will showcase their flagship "pro" game. I could be wrong though, I doubt the slim will be bundled with it since it's being touted as a "4K" game with HDR and what not.

Only problem is I think the Gamestop deal ends on the 12th. Maybe I can platinum Bloodborne and finish the DLC by then though.

First Light's HDR implementation isn't exactly a reliable showcase. It tends toward a very dark image instead of subtly enabling shadow detail and highlights without sacrificing the rest of the visuals in the process.

Uncharted 4 does a great job in my opinion. So does Ratchet and Clank. Both are also solid games to boot.

Thanks, that's what I was reading. Still looks better, but just doesn't pop.

Just go a Samsung ks8000, and I'm testing out the HDR.

Only game I have that uses it right now is Infamous First Light. When I switch HDR on (Through PS4 settings) The game does look more natural, but also doesn't seem to "pop", which I though HDR does.

With it off, the colors are brighter, but just looks more "glowy". Is this how the game is supposed to be?

And I'm pretty sure are the settings on my TV are right. HDMI UHD color is on, backlight to 20, etc. PS4 Pro says it's activating HDR, and my TV says it's HDR.

I had pretty similar issues until I followed this thread!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1308315&page=1

Ya, I already calibrated my TV to based on rtings. Apparently in this case, it's just the game. Unfortunately this is the only game I have at the moment that supports HDR. So I don't have other game to test.

At least in my case, I went out and RedBoxed Uncharted 4 to see the difference. I was more or less in the same situation as you are. It shines in UnCharted.

The Pro availability in the UK has been ridiculous. PSVR has not been any better, I have noticed Amazon must have got a new shipment of PSVR its in stock and high on the bestseller list, but it's likely to be short lived before its sold out again.

I got my Pro from Grainger Games, they seem to have them in stock. http://www.graingergames.co.uk/consoles/ps4/g49044-playstation-4-pro-console-1tb

It does, Premium HDMI Cable in the box, but people have had good and bad batches of it, should work though.

Do you know if this cable can work on PS4 PRO with full 4K + 60 FPS + HDR + Chroma etc?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JUS6W8W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It was released in 2015.

It doesn't have PREMIUM written on the box but does say: http://imgur.com/a/UBiaV
- Color depth : 48 bit
- 4k@50/60Hz
- Transfer rate : 18 Gbps

Does it meet the standards to allow full PS4 PRO experience with everything from native 4K + 60 FPS + HDr for games like NBA 2K17 for example?

Caayn

Do you know if this cable can work on PS4 PRO with full 4K + 60 FPS + HDR + Chroma etc?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JUS6W8W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It was released in 2015.

It doesn't have PREMIUM written on the box but does say: http://imgur.com/a/UBiaV
- Color depth : 48 bit
- 4k@50/60Hz
- Transfer rate : 18 Gbps

Does it meet the standards to allow full PS4 PRO experience with everything from native 4K + 60 FPS + HDr for games like NBA 2K17 for example?
It will work fine with the PS4 Pro. 18Gbps is the important part here as that's the required bandwidth for the HDMI 2.0 spec.

Top Bottom